• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yo, another question by me haha.

You know how Yoshi can crouch Parry to make it easier for Yoshi to parry since it changes his hurtboxes. Can I assume that this works the same way for every character, but with Powershielding? Like can Sheik or Puff, Kirby, GnW, etc. crouch Powersheild pretty easily since their crouch changes their hurtboxes so much relative to most of the cast?
Yes.

CowTech

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,

I'm a new smasher looking to get a new GC controller for SSBM/Sm4sh. I've got a few old ones from forever ago but they're not responsive and are gunky. Would any of you know where I could order from online? Preferably a reliable website? If not, any suggestions for testing controllers out in person to see if they're worth it?

Thank-you!

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
1)is this the attack power deterioration for every stock? In other words each one of my attacks will decrease by that pattern each stock?
2)does knockback also decrease by that pattern?

3)Does different hitboxes on an attack have different knockback?
4))Does different hitboxes on an attack inflict different damage?

Notice the pattern I found: 100 – 9 = 91; 91 – 8 = 83; 83 – 7 = 76, etc. etc. etc.
Hits in a row – % of max power

1 – 100%
2 – 91%
3 – 83%
4 – 76%
5 – 70%
6 – 65%
7 – 61%
8 – 58%
9 – 56%

10 or more – 55%
From MEW2KING’S MELEE INFORMATION AND DISCOVERIES

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey everyone,

I'm a new smasher looking to get a new GC controller for SSBM/Sm4sh. I've got a few old ones from forever ago but they're not responsive and are gunky. Would any of you know where I could order from online? Preferably a reliable website? If not, any suggestions for testing controllers out in person to see if they're worth it?

Thank-you!
http://astore.amazon.com/smashboards00-20

1)is this the attack power deterioration for every stock? In other words each one of my attacks will decrease by that pattern each stock?
2)does knockback also decrease by that pattern?

3)Does different hitboxes on an attack have different knockback?
4))Does different hitboxes on an attack inflict different damage?

From MEW2KING’S MELEE INFORMATION AND DISCOVERIES
1. and 2. Are you talking about move staling?

http://smashboards.com/threads/scar-talks-lean-melee-2012yotf.197123/page-155#post-9016367
http://smashboards.com/threads/scar-talks-lean-melee-2012yotf.197123/page-170#post-9135932

3. and 4. Yes. Different hitboxes can deal different damage, KB, and even send at different angles. Download this Excel file, and you can see all of the different properties for every move in the game:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kwbkgsdok1dekd7/SSBM_Hitboxes_(NTSC_1.0)_&_Knockback_1.5k.xlsx

When jumping on platforms should I do a regular jump or instant double jump( which I think is faster)
It depends. I think DJing is faster for most characters and in most situations. Not only do you get a speed boost from the DJ, but when you DJ your Environment Collision Box (ECB) gets smaller and you are able to land/waveland sooner than if your character had remained upright. However, you can achieve the same sort of effect with most parts of most backwards FH animations. While DJing is faster and easier, the most notable drawback is that you use up your DJ. If you get hit by the opponent at any point before landing, you can be sent off stage without a DJ to recover with. This is a big deal for Falco, but if your opponent isn't in position to hit you or your character doesn't need their DJ much to recover, then feel free to use your DJ.

Fun test: Pick Falcon and go to Yoshi's Story. FH under the top plat, and you won't land. FH back so that Falcon does a backflip, and you will land. Falcon players can use this to get easy horizontal WLs on the top plat, and it works similarly for other characters in other situations.

Last edited:

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
http://astore.amazon.com/smashboards00-20

1. and 2. Are you talking about move staling?

http://smashboards.com/threads/scar-talks-lean-melee-2012yotf.197123/page-155#post-9016367
http://smashboards.com/threads/scar-talks-lean-melee-2012yotf.197123/page-170#post-9135932

3. and 4. Yes. Different hitboxes can deal different damage, KB, and even send at different angles. Download this Excel file, and you can see all of the different properties for every move in the game:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kwbkgsdok1dekd7/SSBM_Hitboxes_(NTSC_1.0)_&_Knockback_1.5k.xlsx
Thank you Bones0

alpha_leonis

Smash Cadet
Hey there. I actually have two questions:

How do you practice spacing if you don't have many people to play against very often?

And

How do you speed up your reaction times within melee under the same circumstances of the first question?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Spacing is just control of your character. Metaphorically speaking, the only way to learn to space marth's tip is to swing and keep swinging. This is something relatively easy to learn alone. If you're advanced, think up dynamic strings and execute them in order. Practice things out of Zelghandi like (fox) rolling to the edge, turning to teeter, then shine reverse WD.

Another element to "spacing" is the knowledge aspect: where is a good distance from your opponent. Lucien goes over the basics pretty well in his tutorial.

As for reaction times: ideally you should know what animation you are seeing within 1-2 frames, and without any pondering, execute a response. It comes with experience, though some knowledge can speed the process. Studying pays off.

TigerShaan

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was just playing melee with a friend, it was Captain Falcon(me) vs Falco. I barely won the match, and at the end he said that it sucks when the game does that thing where you hit the opponent but it makes the hitting sound yet percent doesn't go up and there's no knockback or anything.

He was talking about a situation where he shined me, and the argument starts here: I believe that I powershielded his shine, but he claims that the game performed that buggy mechanic instead. The % did not go up, and isn't it supposed to when that happens? He also claims that you cannot power shield a shine. My question is, can you power shield a shine?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Spacing is just control of your character. Metaphorically speaking, the only way to learn to space marth's tip is to swing and keep swinging. This is something relatively easy to learn alone. If you're advanced, think up dynamic strings and execute them in order. Practice things out of Zelghandi like (fox) rolling to the edge, turning to teeter, then shine reverse WD.

Another element to "spacing" is the knowledge aspect: where is a good distance from your opponent. Lucien goes over the basics pretty well in his tutorial.

As for reaction times: ideally you should know what animation you are seeing within 1-2 frames, and without any pondering, execute a response. It comes with experience, though some knowledge can speed the process. Studying pays off.
It's impossible to react to frames 1-2 of an animation...

Hey guys, I was just playing melee with a friend, it was Captain Falcon(me) vs Falco. I barely won the match, and at the end he said that it sucks when the game does that thing where you hit the opponent but it makes the hitting sound yet percent doesn't go up and there's no knockback or anything.

He was talking about a situation where he shined me, and the argument starts here: I believe that I powershielded his shine, but he claims that the game performed that buggy mechanic instead. The % did not go up, and isn't it supposed to when that happens? He also claims that you cannot power shield a shine. My question is, can you power shield a shine?
1. The weird thing you are talking about is a "phantom hit". If a hitbox (the attack) is tangent (barely touching) with a hurtbox (the character's body), you get a phantom hit. It still has hitlag and deals half of the move's normal damage. It is not a bug, and it is not random. Here is Mew2King demonstrating how to get a phantom hit with Rest (Puff's down-B).

2. You can powershield a shine; it works the same as powershielding any other physical attack. Easy ways to tell if you PSed something are by shield pushback (you slide as far as possible as if you had lightshielded), your shield flashes/disappears momentarily, and there is also a specific sound.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
It is impossible to react WITHIN 1-2 frames, but you are reacting TO those first 1-2 frames of the animation

d z

Smash Cadet
I've been practicing pivot bairs lately and I'm finding that there are times when I just don't jump at all and continue dash-dancing. This suprises me as as far as I knew there were almost no grounded states (aside from being in the middle of an attack/dodge) that you couldn't jump out of. Anyone know (or know where to find) the frame data on this?

Bones0

Smash Legend
It is impossible to react WITHIN 1-2 frames, but you are reacting TO those first 1-2 frames of the animation
Oh, okay. I guess I was just confused because you said you should know what animation you are seeing "within 1-2 frames". I get what you mean though. Recognizing the earliest frames of an animation as possible is definitely a huge benefit.

I've been practicing pivot bairs lately and I'm finding that there are times when I just don't jump at all and continue dash-dancing. This suprises me as as far as I knew there were almost no grounded states (aside from being in the middle of an attack/dodge) that you couldn't jump out of. Anyone know (or know where to find) the frame data on this?
I think your jump input gets ignored if you do it the frame before the pivot frame. I forget exactly, but I remember Kadano talking about this effect when trying to do a JC grab with the same timing as a pivot grab so hopefully he can explain.

In the interest of practical consistent, I'd recommend trying out shield stopping. It can allow you to immediately halt momentum from a dash and get the same effect as a pivot with just 1 (?) more frame of input required.

Last edited:

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Does melee have setups like other fighting games and also if so can you tell me a example.

Kadano

Magical Express
Grab is a setup for throw. And uthrow / dthrow frequently are setups for other attacks, but this depends on character, matchup, percent and DI too much to give more specific information.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Does melee have setups like other fighting games and also if so can you tell me a example.
Can you give an example of a setup in other fighting games so I can give a good parallel? I've heard it used in MvC commentary, but honestly I didn't really know what they were talking about outside of positioning themselves to punish the incoming character.

Bones0

Smash Legend
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/137572/in-fighting-games-what-is-a-setup go here to get a example bones and also i guess melee dosnt really have setups, since setups aren't really combos.
If I'm understanding it correctly, it seems like pretty much anything can be considered a setup, or at least in Melee because players are constantly covering multiple DI or movement options. The ones that seem most "setup"ish are things like shield pressure, tech chasing, and edgeguarding, but I guess the setup is technically what leads into those things? The example I'm thinking of is how Falcon mains often do this sequence vs. spacies at the ledge:
1. Dthrow them into the corner
2. Immediate turnaround SH bair
3a. If they teched in place or missed tech, they get baired off stage
3b. If they techroll in or away, Falcon will be out of L-cancel lag and can regrab

S2J does this setup at 1:20 (3a) and 8:00 (3b).

zaccattack

Smash Rookie
I'm entering into my first tournament this weekend. There is something I am wondering and haven't been able to find much info on: what are the disadvantages and advantages to certain stages? In other words, what should I be thinking about when I go to choose a certain stage in tournaments?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The 3 most important things to consider when picking a stage are (no order):

Blastzone size
Stage size
Platforms

Dextrose

Smash Cadet
Also you must pick according to your character, an example is choosing yoshis story if your a falco main, since falcos recovery is so bad, the small stage of Yoshis story will allow him to get back on easier

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Turn outprioritizes jump while you are dashing, so if when you input jump and turn on the same frame when you try to pivot jump from dash, you only turn. This might be confusing, because it's commonly said that to perform pivots you input action during the turn (pivot) frame, but in reality pivots are done on the next frame on which you would dash if you dd normally.

And I don't think there are any actionable grounded states during which you can't jump. In this case you could have jumped, but turned instead.

Last edited:

Torsade de pointe

Smash Cadet
Low tiers questions :

1) How do you break free from kirby's backthrow and forwardthrow so that he SDs alone ?

2) Which way should you SDI Pichu's fsmash to escape the hard hit (both on stage and out of stage) ?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
1) Mash out, like any other grab. Rotate the control stick and press as many buttons as you can with your right hand. You can continue to mash out even after he started throwing you.

2) If you SDI away you should be able to escape (but you'll have to upb again). If you SDI up you might be able to get free but will probably fall back into it if you dont jump/airdodge/upb

Last edited:

BasedAchilles

Smash Rookie
Is there a place I can find all the community combo videos shown at the majors?
I missed the one at Big House 4, and wanted to catch it.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
If I'm understanding it correctly, it seems like pretty much anything can be considered a setup, or at least in Melee because players are constantly covering multiple DI or movement options. The ones that seem most "setup"ish are things like shield pressure, tech chasing, and edgeguarding, but I guess the setup is technically what leads into those things? The example I'm thinking of is how Falcon mains often do this sequence vs. spacies at the ledge:
1. Dthrow them into the corner
2. Immediate turnaround SH bair
3a. If they teched in place or missed tech, they get baired off stage
3b. If they techroll in or away, Falcon will be out of L-cancel lag and can regrab

S2J does this setup at 1:20 (3a) and 8:00 (3b).

Figure it out now for melee setups thanks for the explanation

Shrek Is Ike's Sword

Smash Rookie
So, I use an emulator, but I'm having an issue. My game zooms in randomly to my character and I can't see anything. It's really annoying. I can't provide an image right now.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
How exactly do freeze frames work? I know that the attacker is kept in place for a certain number of frames after landing an attack on the opponent, but is there a way to calculate the number of frames or data for the amount of frames received for each move? I'm specifically wondering this for purposes of seeing what's safe against others on shield.

I also want to know how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAN3SejRi3w

I already know how to do the regular doraki wall jump, but how is it reversed?

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Is there a guide for doing the marth killer? (light shield at edge so that his up-b pushes you off the edge and you steal the ledge from him). I tried using it, but I find I don't grab the edge on the way down. One time it was because I fell too far from the stage and the other time I think I got battlefielded or I was holding down too far.

Can all characters do it? What I mean is, if Marth does a perfect sweet spot with his up-b, will all characters make it to the ledge before he does? Do you have to fast fall to get it before him?

What angle should I tilt my shield? I was doing 45 degree angle down and off the stage.

I specifically want to know the information for Link doing the marth killer.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Make sure you don't hold down, since you cannot grab the edge when you hold down. Caution: you may actually have to react to the events on screen.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Make sure you don't hold down, since you cannot grab the edge when you hold down. Caution: you may actually have to react to the events on screen.
Lol ya I know. I just wasn't sure in that case if I was holding down still or if I got battlefielded. I am just wondering if I have to fast fall and if I even need to hold down at all. I want to make sure that it is possible to do it with my character and how to do it properly. I've never really used it before, so I don't know any of the specifics. I tried to use it a bunch but was often in position too late and then the few times I got into position on time, I didn't even make it to the ledge lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I always try to fastfall manually to edge, but I think if you just hold 45° down you'll get a fastfall. I don't use this technique much so i'm no expert, though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Angling your shield further down does not help outside of possibly causing your shield to get hit a frame earlier (or by preventing shield pokes in the first place). No matter how far down you are holding the stick, you won't FF if you just hold it. I usually don't need to FF because I play Falco, but on the rare instances I decide to use it as Marth, I am pretty sure I just time the FF the same way I would from a WD off.

FYI: The easiest and most consistent way to get into position is to simply roll towards the ledge and continue holding the stick + Z.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Where would I go to try and find people in my area to play matches with? I've been playing 64 and Brawl competitively for quite some time now but now I wanna jump into Melee, and I have a couple friends to play with, but the more the merrier, ya know? I just don't wanna post a thread or ask questions in the wrong areas so I figured I'd ask here, as its the safest bet

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Where would I go to try and find people in my area to play matches with? I've been playing 64 and Brawl competitively for quite some time now but now I wanna jump into Melee, and I have a couple friends to play with, but the more the merrier, ya know? I just don't wanna post a thread or ask questions in the wrong areas so I figured I'd ask here, as its the safest bet
Here are your two best resources:
- Regional Boards
- Facebook Groups
find your area, and post in either/both, and you'll definitely find some people to play with :)

Top Bottom