• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

DaLung

Smash Rookie
Yes! Thanks alot so far!

Edit: Ok 2 more questions :)
Of what percentage are we talking when using ASDI (= Press R/L and hold towards stage to tech).
(For Fox/Falco after up-B e.g.). This seems pretty easy when you dont have to input exactly at the hitlag frames.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Yes! Thanks alot so far!

Edit: Ok 2 more questions :)
Of what percentage are we talking when using ASDI (= Press R/L and hold towards stage to tech).
(For Fox/Falco after up-B e.g.). This seems pretty easy when you dont have to input exactly at the hitlag frames.
I don't know the exact numbers, but basically, if the attack will make you tumble (put you in the state where you can tech), you can begin wall-teching to recover, and then at some point, depending on the attack, you will move too far for the ASDI to keep you at the wall, so you won't be able to tech at all.

Yes, teching with your recovery is actually not that hard at all. It's more about thinking to do it and what to do afterwards. Experienced players will also know that you can wall tech so they will purposely make it harder for you.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
How many frames of invincibility do you get when grabbing the ledge?
I had something else to ask too. If only I knew what it was...

SAUS

Smash Ace
How many frames of invincibility do you get when grabbing the ledge?
I had something else to ask too. If only I knew what it was...
30 frames (half a second). You don't get to use all of these frames, though, because each character has a short animation while grabbing the edge. I think most characters take about 6 frames to complete the animation.

Kadano

Magical Express
30 frames (half a second). You don't get to use all of these frames, though, because each character has a short animation while grabbing the edge. I think most characters take about 6 frames to complete the animation.
Ledgegrabbing Lag: Link (4); Everyone else (8)”
The ledgegrabbing animation’s frames are all intangible.
Actionable intangibility beyond that is always 29 frames for every character.

Last edited:

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Ledgegrabbing Lag: Link (4); Everyone else (8)”
The ledgegrabbing animation’s frames are all intangible.
Actionable intangibility beyond that is always 29 frames for every character.
Translation: I have 8 frames stuck on the ledge, and 29 AFTER those 8 to do something while intangible, for a total of 37? (Unless I'm link, which I'm not.)

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Monkley6 Monkley6 That's correct.

Does anyone know how landing out of hitstun works? If you shine into dair with falco, the dair hitstun never land cancels unless it's done so fast that the dair momentum cancels the vertical speed caused by shine. On the other hand, if a char jumps into falcos dair or falco uptilts into dair, the hitstun gets always canceled on landing, unless the dair causes knockdown.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Give me a list of players who play a good super aggro - bait and punish game.

Jdebz

Smash Rookie
How do you get better at the game excluding just learning technical skills? I can wavedash, dashdance, l-cancel, and all the other good stuff perfectly fine, but I just lose a lot. What should I practice, etc?

Bones0

Smash Legend
How do you get better at the game excluding just learning technical skills? I can wavedash, dashdance, l-cancel, and all the other good stuff perfectly fine, but I just lose a lot. What should I practice, etc?
You just have to develop strategies. Melee has a lot of quirks to distract from the core of the gameplay, but your overall positioning, spacing, move choice, baiting and other "macro" tend to decide the winner of games if both players have decent tech skill. I think the most dense source of information to get you started on your journey of actually getting good at Melee (not just getting good at playing Melee, if that makes sense) are the Smash Lab videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TrucidOL8R/videos

Even the Smash Lab episodes for teams will help you in overall gameplay, so I would just watch all of the episodes, and then start trying to look for those things on your own when you are watching videos. You should watch and absorb as much Melee content as possible. The more videos you watch, the more situations your brain catalogs and the more options you are keen to. I think a lot of players who don't watch a lot of videos get surprised by WAY too much stuff and one little gimmick or failure to deal with a specific tactic can make a huge deal in a tournament.

As a quick example, some Fox players punish missed techs on plats with drill. Because drill has multiple hits, you can easily SDI out of it and slide off the plat, but if you haven't seen this in a video or had someone do it to you, you will get wrecked by it in a match when simply knowing what to do could have saved you.

Last edited:

Naut

Smash Rookie
What's a good way to practice spacing, particularly on your own(I don't have anyone to play with 90% of the time). I played for a couple hours today, and got destroyed because i couldn't space my moves properly.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
What's a good way to practice spacing, particularly on your own(I don't have anyone to play with 90% of the time). I played for a couple hours today, and got destroyed because i couldn't space my moves properly.
Put items on "Very High", but remove all the items from the list. If you practice on BF or FD, you will get all capsules and they just randomly appear all over the stage. When you break them with attacks, they even have hitlag (idk if it's the same as opponents, but it's not very far off if it isn't). Practice attacking them from different angles, with different attacks/hitboxes, and they occasionally explode so you can work on option selecting survival DI (something you should be doing in real matches to survive trades or DI quick throws/OoS options). Force yourself to attack as soon as they spawn so it replicates real-life opponents where you see an opening and have to react quickly with precise aim.

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Can someone please explain to me how to shield drop or link me a tutorial or something? I am having a hard time and have done it a couple of times but I want to see if I am doing it wrong because sometimes (50% of the time) I will air dodge.

Also is the shield drop timing character dependent by any chance?

Kadano

Magical Express
Can someone please explain to me how to shield drop or link me a tutorial or something? I am having a hard time and have done it a couple of times but I want to see if I am doing it wrong because sometimes (50% of the time) I will air dodge.
I don’t think there’s been a detailed standing shield drop guide yet. Basically, you just need to move your stick down (or diagonally down) at a certain, rather slow speed to consistently shield drop. More details are hard to explain in text, I might do a video about the inputs in the next few months.

Edit: Here are the posts I did on it so far: Diagonal quick shield drops
Slow consistent shield drops
More information in German

Last edited:

texh

Smash Cadet
What's the best way to practice precise movement?

aka making your characters do exactly what you intend him to do

Bones0

Smash Legend
are all of Marth's phantom hits (technically) tippers too?
No, it depends on which hitbox connects, just like regular hits. For example, if you fair while facing right and the edge of your sword's hitbox is tangent with the opponent's hurtbox, it will be a tipper phantom. If the opponent is on your left and you reverse fair so that it is tangent, it will be a sourspot phantom. I recommend looking through the Marth hitbox thread to get an idea of what hitboxes actually look like.

sman865

Smash Apprentice
No, it depends on which hitbox connects, just like regular hits. For example, if you fair while facing right and the edge of your sword's hitbox is tangent with the opponent's hurtbox, it will be a tipper phantom. If the opponent is on your left and you reverse fair so that it is tangent, it will be a sourspot phantom. I recommend looking through the Marth hitbox thread to get an idea of what hitboxes actually look like.
Ah thank you! I thought it probably wasn't the case, but since I'm a 64 player I don't know that much about melee hitboxes.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman

I wouldn't say that there's a "best way," other than to play a lot and practice your movement. There are two ways I practice I movement when I'm alone:
1. A lvl9 CPU, almost always Marth, and the goal is to weave in and out of his moves without getting hit once.
2. Doing the name entry glitch (http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Single_Person_Melee). I use this to practice my stage and platform movement.

Both methods help me, as a Fox main, to practice the precise movement you're talking about - which is super important. There's another option and that is just to play and learn movement as you play other people.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman

I just plug in a second controller, set it to timed battle, set time to none. Run around and enjoy your open stage while Player 2 stands there idly :D

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
My question deals with Dolphin Netplay. Not sure if this is the right area since I saw a Dolphin net play thread, but I this is a Q&A so I hope you guys will help. I've been messing around with some of my friends on Dolphin Netplay playing Melee. However, one thing that is bothering me is that I can't use what I have bound as my C-stick and what I have bound as my Analog (?) stick at the same time. For example, if I'm playing Fox and I want to run and Up-Smash I have to Run, let go of the left stick and then use C-stick up. It's really bothering me, and I don't know what is causing it. Here is what my settings are: http://puu.sh/9h6bR/aded5e701b.png also, D-pad down seems to not work as I can only taunt with D-pad up.

Sorry if I'm just flat out wrong about some stuff. I've been playing a bunch of Project M and until my friends get a copy of Brawl from someone we've just been playing Melee and I want to figure out this issue for all of us. Thanks in advance.

texh

Smash Cadet
My question deals with Dolphin Netplay. Not sure if this is the right area since I saw a Dolphin net play thread, but I this is a Q&A so I hope you guys will help. I've been messing around with some of my friends on Dolphin Netplay playing Melee. However, one thing that is bothering me is that I can't use what I have bound as my C-stick and what I have bound as my Analog (?) stick at the same time. For example, if I'm playing Fox and I want to run and Up-Smash I have to Run, let go of the left stick and then use C-stick up. It's really bothering me, and I don't know what is causing it. Here is what my settings are: http://puu.sh/9h6bR/aded5e701b.png also, D-pad down seems to not work as I can only taunt with D-pad up.

Sorry if I'm just flat out wrong about some stuff. I've been playing a bunch of Project M and until my friends get a copy of Brawl from someone we've just been playing Melee and I want to figure out this issue for all of us. Thanks in advance.
Set Dead Zone for C-stick 15, that should do the trick.

Also make sure you calibrated it properly.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
can you shield drop while angling your shield down
You can't. If you tilt your shield down to block a move, just release the stick to neutral and shield drop from there. It's really hard, but an easier alternative is to lightshield instead of angling your shield.

shapular

Smash Ace

You can't run and up smash like you can in Brawl/PM. You have to input a jump and then cancel the jump with an upsmash. The easiest way to do this is to hit up and A at the same time while running. Melee only has one taunt, so D-pad up is the only button used to taunt.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
Hello again, I've ran into a bit of a problem.
I have ran into a severe character crisis. I don't exactly know what direction to go to and I feel just lost at this point. This is partially my own fault since I never sat down with one character and instead experimented with multiples. I tried out Marth, Falco, Doc, a little Shiek, a little Pikachu, and Icys for a while and I enjoy all of them, esp. since none of them require intense execution/tech skill (Falco is debatable, but he's not that bad). I'm really trying to stick with 1-2, but oh my god, it's really difficult to do so. What are some of the things you guys did to overcome your character crisis?

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Hello again, I've ran into a bit of a problem.
I have ran into a severe character crisis. I don't exactly know what direction to go to and I feel just lost at this point. This is partially my own fault since I never sat down with one character and instead experimented with multiples. I tried out Marth, Falco, Doc, a little Shiek, a little Pikachu, and Icys for a while and I enjoy all of them, esp. since none of them require intense execution/tech skill (Falco is debatable, but he's not that bad). I'm really trying to stick with 1-2, but oh my god, it's really difficult to do so. What are some of the things you guys did to overcome your character crisis?
I played spacies waaay before this whole 20xx ordeal thing (and so have a lot of other spacies). The reason I chose spacies - Falco first - was because he fit my play style. I enjoyed shining and pillar combos that looked flashy and led to kills. My mindset has since changed since, oh idk... six years ago now but I now main Fox and I try to play a smart, solid fundamental Fox. Fundamentals, when done correctly, look flashy. Like when you see someone waveshine across the stage? That's supposed to be automatic for fox and yet people still get hype for it because it still looks cool.

Anyways, my point is - choose a character that you believe fits your playstyle. Spacies a while ago used to be very aggro but these days, the metagame rewards smart and safe play. Marth IMO is the definition of movement in melee. His wavedashes and dash dancing look like he's sliding across the stage and he uses his mobility to bait moves out and punish hard. etc etc.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
I played spacies waaay before this whole 20xx ordeal thing (and so have a lot of other spacies). The reason I chose spacies - Falco first - was because he fit my play style. I enjoyed shining and pillar combos that looked flashy and led to kills. My mindset has since changed since, oh idk... six years ago now but I now main Fox and I try to play a smart, solid fundamental Fox. Fundamentals, when done correctly, look flashy. Like when you see someone waveshine across the stage? That's supposed to be automatic for fox and yet people still get hype for it because it still looks cool.

Anyways, my point is - choose a character that you believe fits your playstyle. Spacies a while ago used to be very aggro but these days, the metagame rewards smart and safe play. Marth IMO is the definition of movement in melee. His wavedashes and dash dancing look like he's sliding across the stage and he uses his mobility to bait moves out and punish hard. etc etc.
What is 20xx?

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain me why PS is in the official ruleset?
The fire and earth transformation seem pretty yanky, especially when the players stand on different sides and spam tech skill for 30 seconds because no one wants to approach from a bad position.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Hey Sup ppl who is a better at rushdown character Sheik or Marth?
They're both not the best rushdown charcters (I'd go with Falco for that, maybe Fox). Between those two, I can't really think of anything that makes one better than the other for rushdown.

Can someone explain me why PS is in the official ruleset?
The fire and earth transformation seem pretty yanky, especially when the players stand on different sides and spam tech skill for 30 seconds because no one wants to approach from a bad position.
There's a thread about it from a while ago that has a bunch of discussion. You can check it out here: http://smashboards.com/threads/ban-stadium.352200/

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Hey Sup ppl who is a better at rushdown character Sheik or Marth?
The only time Marth can really "rushdown" and convert off of it effectively is if he lands a grab on a character who he can follow up on, or reads the opponents movement with something like a fair or utilt and then converts. besides that, Marth is generally a more hit & run + spacing oriented character, who usually has the most success keeping his opponents at a distance and punishing them for moving the way you expect them to. Being over aggressive with most of Marth's moves will lead you to being easily punished, so it's generally not advised but of course there are always specific exceptions.

Sheik can be aggressive, but you're obviously putting your self at a risk every time you make the approach, however Sheik gets much more reward for being aggressive. Every time she pokes your shield, she's basically frame trapping you. Her shffl fair/jab/grab mixups on your shield can really put pressure on your opponent and open them up for juggles. In my opinion, Sheik can ride momentum further than Marth (excluding versus spacies, where they're about the same), however her ability to control space is generally worse than Marth. Though with her ftilt and bair, she can control space effectively enough and with moves like dash attack, fair, nair, and grab she can make an approach and start being aggressive. She also has a projectile if you want to make your opponent approach. That being said, Sheik relies a lot more on tactics such as gimping, tech chasing, and grab followups in order to get kills.

Pick whichever style suits you best, or of course try out other characters if neither of these characters suit your style of play. ^^ If you're really dead set on aggression, I think there are definitely different characters that would play stronger to that style.

Marth should be able to follow-up on anybody. Once someone is in the air he basically wins any other engagements.

Although, I have no idea what is meant by a rushdown. Recently people have been getting me to think that Marth does best threatening you rather than taking a purely defensive stance. I am not sure what Sheik has to be able to take space or threaten it.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
So, when trying to unlock mewtwo, I left my wii on overnight. But, a certain stupid someone turned it off about 7 (14 because two controllers) hours in. Do those hours count, or do I need to start over?

EDIT: nope they're gone

Last edited:
Top Bottom