• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Tesh

Smash Hero
just found my copy of melee, could anyone point me towards an unlock guide to get all the stages and characters ASAP?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
your question wasn't about advanced gameplay, or even regular gameplay. u might wanna check gamefaqs for simple unlock data. you have the internet, you would think that u having an account on smashboards you would know how to get that information on your own.

:phone:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
There's a thread here on this very forums, which takes around 1 minute to find (which is less then writing a question here and then coming back checking for answers).

Unlocks... uhh sounds like 1p mode will be involved ... uhh... ah right there is a subforum. Click. Stickies... High scores, blah, ah right here, "guide: unlock everything in melee" (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231761).

;)

edit:
@whAmm3y: fc nairs; all day long.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
Well, I main Bowser, so I can't really get away with spam, though I do use FAir, BAir, and Whirling Fortress a lot.

My friends couldn't live without Marth's FSmash, though. :p
actually, if you play bowser you kinda HAVE to spam upb

it's like the best move ever and it's the only reason i've beaten my friends with my bowser

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I spam back air. What character am I?

I'll give you a hint, its not falco, fox, sheik, puff, peach or falcon!

Pi

Smash Hero
half of melee's cast too, most of them just also have equally good forward airs so it's inconsequential which ones they use lol

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can someone tell me specifically how to shield drop? I watched this video but I just want to be sure. My understanding is...

- Dropping from a shield is slightly faster than dropping from a neutral state
- To drop out of pressure, wait until you're out of shield stun and tap down?

Can you shield drop out of any shield or does it have to be a light shield? Also, would the best way to practice simply be to do it repeatedly with no enemy, and then try to do it to get out of pressure? Is the timing the same? Kinda like practicing powershields against Falco. Also, I already know about Isai dropping and Shai dropping, but this seems much harder because I keep spot dodging accidentally.

Pi

Smash Hero
here's the method some people (me included) use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKMEVu0mhU

and some information i gathered surrounding it

pressing shield on the 4th frame will result in the shield coming out on frame 5

cannot input dash the opposite way until frame 4 of your initial dash (wont' dash if inputted sooner)

cannot turn sooner than frame 5

turn lasts for 1 frame before dashing in opposite direction

the smoke of the dash comes out on frame 4

cannot shield during turn animation, can buffer it during turn animation

if you shield and hold a direction on the dash frame directly after the turn frame, or if you inputted and held them durning the turn frame, you will buffer a roll

you must wait for 1 dash frame to pass before you can input your shield & direction

rolls buffer for 3 frames from when you input the direction

this applies to your initial dash.

subsequent dashes, IE dash dancing, or pivoting require you to be dashing for 1 frame before shielding, otherwise a roll will be buffered if you continue to hold the direction

you can however, input a direction, then shield on the next frame if you have allowed the control stick to reset to neutral

spot dodges also buffer for 3 frames

you cannot shield drop sooner than the 5th frame of any given dash, initial or subsequent

inputting shield before frame 4 will result in a roll or a spot dodge
inputting the shield drop on frame 4, frame 5 will be wait, and frame 6 will be 'pass', you're free to do whatever after this

cannot shield drop out of shieldhitstun, or hitlag

must pass through the threshold for shield dropping coming from above
this means no going from angled shield down into shield drop

can input shield drop, just the diagnal input, no more than 5 frames before you're out of shieldhitstun, can be inputted in shieldhitlag, and shieldhitstun

if you input sooner than 5 frames before you're out of hitstun, nothing will happen

buffering rolls/spot dodges applies, so there is only a 2 frame window to 'buffer' a shield drop in this fashion

if you are not angling your shield horizontally, you can re-adjust to the horizontal position to start your shield drop, as long as you do so 3 frames before shieldhitstun ends

so for example, if mario fsmashes your shield, you go through 9 frames of shieldhitlag, then 10 frames of shieldhitstun. So 19 frames total of being stuck in your shield

if you were in neutral position, you need to press right or left before frame 16, otherwise it will buffer a roll,

if you want to buffer the shield drop, you'll have to have your control stick positioned horizontally by frame 14-16, then on frame 15 you have it in the shield drop angle, that will buffer, and is the soonest you could start buffering

if u wanna do it from neutral position going straight down then ur on ur own

this method suits me fine

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Honestly, there isn't too much to say about it.
If you're shielding on a platform, you can tilt the control stick down to drop through the platform. The distance to move the control stick has to be pretty precise. If you do it too far you'll spot dodge, if it's too short (or slow, like in you move the control stick down really slow) you'll tilt your shield.
Correct length is about the area where the little nudge is (the line between the "west south / east south" position markers). Sorry for the wording here, non native speaker johns :(
You can't input shield drops while in hitstun or lag.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Honestly, there isn't too much to say about it.
If you're shielding on a platform, you can tilt the control stick down to drop through the platform. The distance to move the control stick has to be pretty precise. If you do it too far you'll spot dodge, if it's too short (or slow, like in you move the control stick down really slow) you'll tilt your shield.
Correct length is about the area where the little nudge is (the line between the "west south / east south" position markers). Sorry for the wording here, non native speaker johns :(
You can't input shield drops while in hitstun or lag.
Thanks mah dude! No johns needed! I understood you completely...sounds like it takes some precision and skill to master.

What if I'm being pressured in my shield while on a platform? Would I be able to shield-drop then?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Yes, you are. It will just add to the difficulty.
As stated: You can't shield drop while in shield stun from an attack (and you can't buffer it :( ), however you are free to do so afterwards; so you'll have to learn to perform the shield drop right after shield stun is over. Which of course is not too easy (though you already had some training in that regard thanks to L canceling :) ), but fairly rewarding (for example shield drop to aerial is very good vs say Marths who just utilted under the platform).

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Yes, you are. It will just add to the difficulty.
As stated: You can't shield drop while in shield stun from an attack (and you can't buffer it :( ), however you are free to do so afterwards; so you'll have to learn to perform the shield drop right after shield stun is over. Which of course is not too easy (though you already had some training in that regard thanks to L canceling :) ), but fairly rewarding (for example shield drop to aerial is very good vs say Marths who just utilted under the platform).
Thanks again bro! Sounds very useful.

Paramedic

Smash Rookie
Advanced scrub here working on teh tech skillz, putting in hard work to move up the ladder. Last few posts were helpful, thanks, didn't know the little bit about moving directional pad just between spot-dodge & shield move, appreciate it.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Melee will eventually die since good controllers will only get harder to find?

I thought maybe Nintendo will make a GameCube-style classic controller for the (likely) Wii U's virtual console port of Melee (which could be the next step for having the game available to the community), but if it's not exactly like the actual GameCube controller, it will suck.

Seriously, the guys at Nintendo (especially Sakurai) need to be told that people still play Melee.

Note: This is not an "asking for a controller" post; it's a question about the future of the game, so don't delete this.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
we'll keep buying the white controller, and keep playing it on the gamecube.

just cause CRT's are dying out didn't kill us from finding the remainders and bringing them to tournaments.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
About the white controllers, do they have alooottt in stock or something? I'm either going to get a silver controller from Nintendo or the White one.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
uhhh idk, but i figure us melee players are like the only ones who care enough to get the white controllers.

many other random GC fans will just get the *** gamestop controller and play zelda and be happy lol.

stelzig

Smash Lord
It might not be a bad idea to get a spare controller just in case though. I have 2 spares myself and always bring one of them to tournaments/fests.

(actually I think i have like 6+ controllers, but 2 of them are bad and one of them is a wavebird. Have 3 "meant" for smash :p)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
You guys know the WIi U is coming out, right? The white GameCube controllers will probably be discontinued.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
You guys know the WIi U is coming out, right? The white GameCube controllers will probably be discontinued.
If I can name 10 places off the top of my head that have N64 controllers I think finding a GCN controller will be possible, not to mention Ninty is selling them right no and may continue into the future,possibly due to the smash scene.

As for GCN classic controllers, it's what I was thinking about. A wireless white GCN controller that syncs to the Wii U would work well, also I'd rather have an HD redux of melee than a VC version...simply because HD would look nicer and they would, hopefully, not touch the physics at all.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
n00b question be merciful: I understand the concept behind ground teching and wall teching and have actually got them pretty down-pat, but I for some reason cannot comprehend edge teching or why it happens. I have watched Wak's advanced techs guide and it still just makes no sense; every time I see an edge tech I am wondering what just happened and the process behind it.

I usually main Falcon/Jiggs, so obviously for Falcon I would find this tech very useful. Sadly I don't know anyone in person who can actually pull off the edge tech, so I came here.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
An edge tech is simply a wall tech. It abuses the fact that the input window for teching includes the time before being hit, so that if they are attacked while hugging a wall they will survive. Sometimes, especially with stronger moves and at higher percents, SDI is needed to be able to tech, but generally you can get away with only ASDI.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
also the main difference between floor techs and ledge/ceiling techs is that you cannot make collision with a floor during SDI but you can on a wall/ceiling.

edited for correctness
:phone:

Turazrok

Smash Master
What is the fastest method of getting up from the ledge? In terms of being able to perform further actions more quickly?

Top Bottom