• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Shwagzamaxima

Smash Cadet
Well, I play G&W, so I need to learn to lightshield on command. I can't yet, but I'm getting there. The problem comes with jab>grab. I can jab fine, but I'll often try to grab too early with Z, so I mess it up. I need to get the timing down.
For lightshielding, I don't really know what to recommend, as I find it useless playing Mario/Falco/Fox and now Metaknight in PM.
For jab+grab, practice them separately. Go on FD, like I told you before, with a CPU (very important, don't just do this with an idle human) and run, jab, turn, run, turn around, and repeat. Just jab and run, over and over, until you have the length of the jab animation hard-wired. Then grabbing out of it will be easy. This is what I did with jabs and tilts and stuff, as I was getting too dependant on aerials and shines.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You will have to train yourself (your mind). Essentially what happens when you choke is, in your head you are thinking about things other than the task at hand: winning. Maybe you're so far ahead you're thinking about the next set you have to play or maybe its something simple like what you're having for dinner. Whatever it is, its brain power not spent finishing your business.

As for fixing it... if you want my advice PM me

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
So I've been playing the game for years, and I have my tech skill down pretty well. I was just thinking about this the other day, and it just crossed my mind.

So most smash players know how to L-cancel, or they should at least. I learned by reading something like "hit L before you hit the ground." But I never really thought about what it meant.

I want to start playing competitively, but I'm going to have to go back and perfect the basics. I'm going to need to rely on every single aerial to be L-canceled if I can help it. I can L-cancel about 75% of the time, but it's just not good enough. So when exactly should I be pressing L? Immediately before hitting the ground? A few frames before hitting the ground? What do you guys think?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Yeah 75% is horrid and won't do you any favors.
You can hit L within 6 frames of hitting the ground, but nobody can tell you when to hit it. Just figure it out, in what moment of your visual recognition device (also known as eyes) seeing your character moving towards the ground you need to press L for it to happen within 6 frames of touching it.
Simply practice this over and over doing SHFFLs on CPUs (don't practice exclusively on air, or else hitstun is going to **** uo your timing) till you like never miss it. If you want to be cool, do the S2J thing and practice SHFFLs on 3 lvl1 ICs until you never miss there (if you get that down, you recognize any possible situation and muscle memory tells you when to press).
Well, for starters it's okay, if you actually start to just hit pretty much every one of them you have full mental control over ;)

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Yeah 75% is horrid and won't do you any favors.
You can hit L within 6 frames of hitting the ground, but nobody can tell you when to hit it. Just figure it out, in what moment of your visual recognition device (also known as eyes) seeing your character moving towards the ground you need to press L for it to happen within 6 frames of touching it.
Simply practice this over and over doing SHFFLs on CPUs (don't practice exclusively on air, or else hitstun is going to **** uo your timing) till you like never miss it. If you want to be cool, do the S2J thing and practice SHFFLs on 3 lvl1 ICs until you never miss there (if you get that down, you recognize any possible situation and muscle memory tells you when to press).
Well, for starters it's okay, if you actually start to just hit pretty much every one of them you have full mental control over ;)
Ok, 6 frames. Yeah, I thought it was around 10, but I was a tad off. I never knew the number anyways. But thanks again for the response.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ok, 6 frames. Yeah, I thought it was around 10, but I was a tad off. I never knew the number anyways. But thanks again for the response.
Do the nairs per minute challenge.

It's a lot more brutal than it looks. lol I was embarassed how low my score was when I first did it, but it helps a ton when trying to get consistent with L-cancels and at least gives you a rough idea of where you're at tech skill wise with the basics. You really just have to get used to focusing on L-cancels efficiently mid-game. There will always be varied timings based on when you FF, how high you jump, whether you jump from a platform or DJ from off-stage, whether you hit an opponent and went through hitlag, how the attack you are using contorts your landing detection, etc.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Do the nairs per minute challenge.

It's a lot more brutal than it looks. lol I was embarassed how low my score was when I first did it, but it helps a ton when trying to get consistent with L-cancels and at least gives you a rough idea of where you're at tech skill wise with the basics. You really just have to get used to focusing on L-cancels efficiently mid-game. There will always be varied timings based on when you FF, how high you jump, whether you jump from a platform or DJ from off-stage, whether you hit an opponent and went through hitlag, how the attack you are using contorts your landing detection, etc.
Oh, I've seen this before. I'm not actually new to smashboards or the game per se, but I've gotten back into smash recently so I reinventing myself and made a new account. That **** looks brutal...

I don't really play spacies though, so do you think that would hinder my reaction time? I'd be playing G&W if anything.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Oh, I've seen this before. I'm not actually new to smashboards or the game per se, but I've gotten back into smash recently so I reinventing myself and made a new account. That **** looks brutal...

I don't really play spacies though, so do you think that would hinder my reaction time? I'd be playing G&W if anything.
You could try it with G&W's dair or fair if you just want to improve your L-cancelling.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Yep, I was only wary about using Fox because of the weight and free-fall speed differences.

I'll learn it one way or the other. Fair-ing would be a good way. If only G&W's Nair was L-cancelable... He'd be a complete monster :p

Xyzz

Smash Champion
It's pointless to learn l canceling with a character that isn't the one you play (except for a quick look with like Link's dair or sth to clearly see the difference), because you will need to learn it with all of your character's aerials again anyways. The differences in fall speed (weight doesn't matter) and the different hitstun on the aerials makes the general idea of l canceling not carry over too well between characters.

Also: I wouldn't recommend to play GaW, that guy's pretty hopeless.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yep, I was only wary about using Fox because of the weight and free-fall speed differences.

I'll learn it one way or the other. Fair-ing would be a good way. If only G&W's Nair was L-cancelable... He'd be a complete monster :p
His nair is L-cancellable, but I don't think you can SH and FF it as quickly as possible and still have the hitbox come out. lol Bair and uair are the two that can't be L-cancelled, unless I'm mistaken.

Also:

S7GF

Smash Journeyman

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
I swear... If G&W could L-cancel all of his aerials, he would see much, much more gameplay. It's a turnoff for many people, I think. But I still love him. I think he has more potential than a lot of lower-tier characters.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Haha, oh man this thread... You guys!

Anyways, who would be a good secondary for a G&W main? I'm thinking Sheik. What do you guys think? If a match-up is just really, really hard, and I just can't get it together, it'd be nice to have a character on which I could somewhat rely.

Shwagzamaxima

Smash Cadet
I ALWAYS keep a Mario in my pocket. You can always catch people off-guard with that.
Sheik is good for matchups, so is Falco, so just play around and find what you are comfortable with.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Funny, I used to play Mario :p

I'm a big supporter of "play the player, not the character," but who has the best matchup against the spacies? The other spacy?

Shwagzamaxima

Smash Cadet
Falco is a good bet when going up against both spacies, since he is easy to learn (relatively) and combos Fox pretty well. I suggest you just play off-the-wall characters for that sort of matchup, like the Mario Bros. or Bowser or Ness or some ****. Don't worry about TAS matchups, they don't really matter that much, just be good and catch your opponent off-guard.

Shwagzamaxima

Smash Cadet
There was this dude at Impulse who mained Zelda, forgot his name, but he was the chillest player ever. He smacked my **** with his Pichu, it was absolutely godlike.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
There was this dude at Impulse who mained Zelda, forgot his name, but he was the chillest player ever. He smacked my **** with his Pichu, it was absolutely godlike.
I don't think he's bad at everyone thinks he is. It's important to remember that a tier list is based off how well the characters do in tournaments.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
A tier list is based off of how well a character is expected to do in a tournament setting, in the current metagame, assuming top level of play.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you don't want to play G&W vs. spacies (which honestly aren't as hard to play against as some of the other top tiers) then you might as well play a different character or else you'll just be using your "secondary" for 1/3rd of your matches.

Shwagzamaxima

Smash Cadet
If you don't want to play G&W vs. spacies (which honestly aren't as hard to play against as....
A tier list is based off of how well a character is expected to do in a tournament setting, in the current metagame, assuming top level of play.
Pretty much all of this. Matchups are based on performance of characters played PERFECTLY. Which is impossible unless you are sober Mang0. So just learn to punish them; Fox is a glass cannon and is comboed to death by easy ****, and Falco is so gimpable. Just play spacies better than you, and pick up some tools. Marth and Jiggs were considered mid-tier until Ken and Mango spanked everybody. Keep that in mind. You don't like the placement of G&W? Change it!

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
i don't think you're going to be able to win with bad characters just by psyching your opponents out lol
:roll: Haha, that's not was I was referring to, but now you've given me such a grand idea... :roll:

I was mostly talking about the fact that, if I get psyched out, maybe having a secondary that was a higher tier would help get me back on track when I know I should be playing better than I am. But I'll think about that when the time comes. Going to a little smash get-together on Saturday. We'll mostly be playing friendlies, but it's going to be my first time playing against people I haven't seen in a long time since my break. Wish me luck!

Also, in regards to E-102 Gamma's comment, I don't think G&W has been played to his full potential. I know QERB and j00t play him really well, but there is still potential, I believe.

Top Bottom