• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm trying to understand how the mechanics work that allow me to grab pivot grab the ledge out of dashes and jumps, specifically as captain falcon. I don't even really get how the PC drop works either to be honest, but they must be the same mechanic. Is the concept to get forward momentum and then pivot on the edge without starting to walk or run away?
Yes .

gravy

Smash Ace
It doesn't seem to work often when I try it, especially with a ledge cancelled aerial. Doesn't ledge canceling stop your momentum anyways? It seems like most of the time if I do it I just end up turning around while still standing on the ledge.

gravy

Smash Ace
Ok. So I should land an aerial close to the ledge but not an actual ledge cancel, buffer a turn around, and then let go as soon as I turn around?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Idk why you want to aerial at all. Just empty hopping still lets you buffer a turn around easily, but there's less landing lag so you turn around sooner. If you use Fox or Falco, you can even RSHL to make it so you don't have to buffer the turn around.

gravy

Smash Ace
Well, whether or not I choose to aerial is certainly going to change based on the situation. Either way, I need to be able to do it with or without an aerial. However, I can definitely not do it consistently right now. What kind of frame window do I have on this?

gravy

Smash Ace
I don't see how it depends on my spacing, regardless of my spacing there will still only be a certain number of frames in which I can turn around. In the future, if you do not have an answer to the question, I would prefer you would just not answer so someone who can actually help me will see the question. I don't need you telling me to just practice, clearly I have tried, I'm looking for an understanding of the technique so I can make my practice more efficient.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you have an immense amount of momentum, you could slide across the whole stage and have tons of frames to input the turn around.

gravy

Smash Ace
I suppose that's accurate, but there is still certainly a ballpark answer to my question. I can't even decide if this technique is reasonable to consistently perform.

V

Smash Ace
I'm deciding between maining Fox or Sheik and I'd like some opinions as to which character has more room for creativity/originality if anybody has input to give.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
watch overtriforce/ice/kirbykaze/toph

watch mango/sfat/basicallyanyfox

decide what you like more, i really like the shieks i mentioned above (overtriforce + ice are the only shieks i REALLY like to watch though, especially a bit older videos from over (2011/12ish)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Actually, Toph tried to secondary sheik for a while iirc

his fox was always miles better, though. idk where he's at now with that

shoutouts to mah n**** toph

gravy

Smash Ace
At what percents do the amount of guaranteed pummels I can get increase? Also, where is a thread with information on Randall's timer?

Bones0

Smash Legend
At what percents do the amount of guaranteed pummels I can get increase? Also, where is a thread with information on Randall's timer?

Pummels depend on how fast they mash. The number of inputs to get out can be found in Mew2King's "SSBM Statistics" thread, though you really just have to play someone who is good at mashing out and learn through trial and error.

You can easily just figure out Randall's timer pattern on your own, but the only thing I really focus on is the first digit of the seconds slot. Randall always comes out at X4 seconds. If X is odd, he comes out on the right, and if it is even, he comes out on the left. So at 14, you know he just came out on the right. At 10, you know he's about to go back in from the left side. I would just practice checking for the 4 and just assuming he comes out on the side you're on, and then once you get more comfortable you can start confirming which side he's on by looking at the first seconds digit. Cool thing I've started doing is figuring out where Randall would be every time I check the time. So as I'm writing this, I see that it's 4:02, which means Randall is on the left, about to go back into the bottom-center of the stage.

tl;dr

Bottom: ODD ~ 9-5
Right: ODD ~ 4-0
Top: EVEN ~ 9-5
Left: EVEN ~ 4-0

gravy

Smash Ace
Alright. How does move staling work in this game? And is it the same for moves and throws? Is there a specific formula for it?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't really mind answering questions all the time (especially because I often learn new stuff), but you really should get into the habit of searching for these things before you ask. Just Google "site:smashboards.com insert your query here". If you had just searched for "site:smashboards.com melee move staling" you would have found THIS page in less than a minute. Tagging "Magus420" onto the end of your posts is also advisable since his explanations are by far the juiciest (all hail based Magus).

gravy

Smash Ace
Yah I've been using the actual smashboards search function, I guess that's my bad.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I skip using sites built in searches straight away and go for the "site:URL search term" method for google Bones mentioned. That usually gives the more relevant results anyways.
They've got way too much data to work their algorithm magic with, which on the one hand is a nightmare in terms of data privacy, but at least they deliver :D

Bones0

Smash Legend
I skip using sites built in searches straight away and go for the "site:URL search term" method for google Bones mentioned. That usually gives the more relevant results anyways.
They've got way too much data to work their algorithm magic with, which on the one hand is a nightmare in terms of data privacy, but at least they deliver :D
Yeah, they deliver straight to your house because they know your address without you telling them. rofl

gravy

Smash Ace
So I wasn't able to really find an answer to this, but is knockback calculated using the whole number on the screen or does it use the hidden fractions that we can't see? I don't want to make a rule of thumb that a certain combo works at certain percents and have it be wrong because of hidden fractions, especially when it comes to grab combos, considering the stun is so different when you go up one level.

Bones0

Smash Legend
So I wasn't able to really find an answer to this, but is knockback calculated using the whole number on the screen or does it use the hidden fractions that we can't see? I don't want to make a rule of thumb that a certain combo works at certain percents and have it be wrong because of hidden fractions, especially when it comes to grab combos, considering the stun is so different when you go up one level.
You can try to make sense of Strong Bad's KB Calculator. Just glancing at the formula for normal KB, it looks like it does use the fractional damage. Tbh though, that is hardly going to affect your combos. Your opponent's DI and your execution is going to matter much, much more.

Anyone know of an in depth post explaining item catching? Also, I've always wondered what determines the color of the Melee logo in the background of the results screen when a player quits out. It seems to be completely random.

gravy

Smash Ace
Well this matters the most to me in throw combos, a difference of 1% could make a follow up completely different. I guess I'll just have to deal with this though, it shouldn't affect me often.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Doesn't really matter.
Lvl9 ganon can up b you out of every shffl approach, but will happily walk right into your charged f smash over and over again, so beating them has less to do with your actual "skill" but more your willingness to play to beat them.
(also, techskill > mindgames for cpu. You might be really good at reading / manipulating your friends actions, but the cpu will always do the same thing, so it's just being able to beat their crazy good reactions / executions)

Ieven

Smash Cadet
I'm beginner with Melee, and it's difficult for me to play with the Tap Jump. Any tips for me ?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I think he's talking about accidental, unintended tab jumps being annoying as hell.

To which there isn't a good solution, I think... make sure you can't use up your jump if you want to input upwards DI (by being in hitstun already) and don't move the control stick too far if you want to up tilt. I personally never accidentally tab jump, but a friend of mine sometimes ends up burning his jump right before getting hit, and is really annoyed by that mechanic :D

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I think he's talking about accidental, unintended tab jumps being annoying as hell.

To which there isn't a good solution, I think... make sure you can't use up your jump if you want to input upwards DI (by being in hitstun already) and don't move the control stick too far if you want to up tilt. I personally never accidentally tab jump, but a friend of mine sometimes ends up burning his jump right before getting hit, and is really annoyed by that mechanic :D
Just practice with it. After a while, u-tilts will become easy.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering where I can get the file for a complete save (with all characters and stages) of Melee so I can run it on dios mios on my Wii. Something simple like a main.dol file would be nice, but anything that can help please.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Just practice with it. After a while, u-tilts will become easy.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering where I can get the file for a complete save (with all characters and stages) of Melee so I can run it on dios mios on my Wii. Something simple like a main.dol file would be nice, but anything that can help please.
Go to the Melee section of the Smash Workshop from the home page.

gravy

Smash Ace
How many different FOD platform levels are there? I can't really find a thread on it...

Bones0

Smash Legend
How many different FOD platform levels are there? I can't really find a thread on it...
I tried to find a pattern in FoD plat heights, and I don't remember for sure, but I think there were ~7 (3 really small variations of "low" plats, 2 variations of "medium" heights, and 2 "high"). I've searched all over for a thread that explains anything concerning FoD's plats but couldn't find anything.

Top Bottom