• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Official Custom Moveset Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
That's messed up considering some things have changed. Villager not being ble to pocket Pac-Man's trampoline anymore removes any reasoning of taking the power pac jump in that matchup. Sonic's nerfed BSD and default spin dash may have caused some reconsideration too.
They have to set up 100s of Wii Us in advance.

They ain't going to be running around because of a patch changing custom move layouts again.

Bren00

Smash Rookie
For Megaman, I personally think 3322 is one that he definitely needs to have, and I would replace 1333 for 3322.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos I am incredibly disappointed and dismayed that Doctor Mario doesn't have 2311 and 2111 now that the patch buffed his normal tornado making it a much better move. Any chance that we could get a minor revision to the list for characters who's options may have changed in this recent balance patch?

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Any changes made won't be made for EVO though.

Personally I feel we do a big revision after EVO and in the meantime, outside of EVO hopefully you can use any set you want by adding your own custom set instead of the less prioritized sets.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
There's honestly a lot of changes that people want made, revises little things here or there while people are still figuring stuff out would take away from the overall legitimacy of the next update.

I personally found there's a few duck hunt sets I really want, and super duck jump is kind of falling off as a competitively viable recovery.

I think we should just encourage people to keep talking, keep testing, and for local tournaments to allow personal set uploading/creating local revised EVO set lists with the preferred sets of their players to test. So that the next list can be more agreeable.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm starting to think more highly of Corkscrew Leap for Wario; the super-high no-hitbox recovery. Lets him go even deeper than normal for edgeguards, allows you to go deep without spending your Bike to recover, it's still quite safe even without a hitbox due to the high speed of movement, and getting hit off your Bike offstage isn't nearly as ruinous. I think it's likely better for camping, especially since you already have N-Air as an out-of-shield tool.

Just goes to show that our understanding of the moves has a ways to go.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
There's honestly a lot of changes that people want made, revises little things here or there while people are still figuring stuff out would take away from the overall legitimacy of the next update.

I personally found there's a few duck hunt sets I really want, and super duck jump is kind of falling off as a competitively viable recovery.

I think we should just encourage people to keep talking, keep testing, and for local tournaments to allow personal set uploading/creating local revised EVO set lists with the preferred sets of their players to test. So that the next list can be more agreeable.
I suspect some people are under the impression that custom set discussion is completely dead until such time as a new revision is announced. The "why" of this is beyond me since it seems pretty obvious that experimentation can happen literally whenever and now of all times is perfect since we've just had a patch to shake things up a bit. It's unfortunate that EVO is unlikely to allow revisions to the sets used there but there's nothing stopping anyone from deciding that maybe Metal Blade isn't an overwhelmingly preferable option anymore now that Mega Man can't hold it while shooting lemons. (Just for example, IDK what the Mega Man boards think about it.)

And like you said, locals are a good venue for experimenting.

Last edited:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
While I wasn't a major part of the project myself, I'd still like to remind people that we weren't even told that there would be a balance patch released before EVO until after EVO's deadline to finalize their rulesets. I agree, it's unfortunate that we most likely can't make any modifications to the CMP for EVO (unless Mr. Wizard says otherwise), magnified by the fact that this occurred so soon after the deadline, but the people in charge of this project couldn't have known when, or possibly even if, a balance patch would have been released, never mind which specific changes would have been made (i.e., the "no longer able to use normals while holding an item" thing for Mega Man and co.). We, as a community, cannot get hung up on "what ifs" like this, or else no progress will be made at all. We can still continue discussion here and elsewhere and experiment with other movesets outside of EVO. If anything, this should give us a good head start on the next version of the project.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
All of what's being talked about is why I asked when the updates occur. I checked the op and didn't see anything mentioning it but I recall 6 months being mentioned. The sets we have are what we're stuck with for EVO and honestly that's fine. Very few specials were nerfed (directly or indirectly) and the nerfs were minor. There's no sets I personally want changed, I'm just thinking that maybe others will due to the patch and am wondering when any hypothetical changes will occur.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos I am incredibly disappointed and dismayed that Doctor Mario doesn't have 2311 and 2111 now that the patch buffed his normal tornado making it a much better move. Any chance that we could get a minor revision to the list for characters who's options may have changed in this recent balance patch?
I have them side-by-side; there is no change, including endlag.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
We new there would be patches. We knew they had to add characters. What if MEwtwo/Lucas hard counter your character and a new set is needed? Its just not going to happen for EVO.

I still think it should have been 8 sets per character, 1 custom at a time. Its a nice middle ground for solving all these issues and locking things in super early.

There will be ANOTHER patch at least before EVO when we get Lucas. We also still haven't gotten tournament mode or miiverse battlefield. So even if we fixed things up now, there could be the same batch of issues in june again.

kardus

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have a .sav file for flash carts with all the setups?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
So I suppose at this point it would be best for us to go back to the custom discussion boards and begin reevaluating current sets for the next update in 6 months, like rethinking set boundaries/guidelines(ex. :4littlemac:2X1X or :4falcon: 2XXX) to deal with different matchups and counterpicks or things of that nature.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Can someone answer why Marths side 3 custom isnt allowed? Heavy blade is very useful and even extends the range of marths sword by quite alot.

http://imgur.com/z2CjaWf
Dude if you can land that while your opponent knows you have that move props to you.

With the buffs, DB is such a good footsies tool now and can reliably combo to the point where Marth can actually kill with it fairly reliably anyways, you don't need an even more punishing version of f-smash.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Dude if you can land that while your opponent knows you have that move props to you.

With the buffs, DB is such a good footsies tool now and can reliably combo to the point where Marth can actually kill with it fairly reliably anyways, you don't need an even more punishing version of f-smash.
I mostly land it cause people under estimate the amount of range it really has. Especially the up version.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I mostly land it cause people under estimate the amount of range it really has. Especially the up version.
Kind of prove my point that it's a gimmick, friend. :p If the opponent knows you have that move and how it works it becomes a useless move which was my point.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Kind of prove my point that it's a gimmick, friend. :p If the opponent knows you have that move and how it works it becomes a useless move which was my point.
what alot of people dont try is gimping. If you go offstage with marth its a very reliable move. If the enemy was say fox and you knock him offstage, you can jump out hit him with it forcing him to up b while you already have grabbed the edge and can drop down back air him . It has alot of little small uses from what ive learned.

TheASDF

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheASDF
Funnily enough, the set needed to pull off the infinite isn't on the EVO sets 'cause everyone on the Pikachu boards thought Meteor Quick Attack was trash. Go figure. Still, Thunder Wave by itself is really powerful.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Considering how hard it's going to be to actually land in a real match, especially if someone is aware of it, I think it's fully filed under a "until proven otherwise" broken status.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, the set needed to pull off the infinite isn't on the EVO sets 'cause everyone on the Pikachu boards thought Meteor Quick Attack was trash. Go figure. Still, Thunder Wave by itself is really powerful.
wow really? so we accidentally disallowed that infinite? tragic.

well you could still do the thunder wave back and forth for damage and stuff.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
What is the point of giving up a top tier recovery and movement option for that infinite? Quick Attack is such an essential part of Pikachu's game. I can see it taking a couple of sets but I can't seeing it taking over Pikachu's game. I suppose that's why we have 8-10 sets though.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I suspect some people are under the impression that custom set discussion is completely dead until such time as a new revision is announced. The "why" of this is beyond me since it seems pretty obvious that experimentation can happen literally whenever and now of all times is perfect since we've just had a patch to shake things up a bit. It's unfortunate that EVO is unlikely to allow revisions to the sets used there but there's nothing stopping anyone from deciding that maybe Metal Blade isn't an overwhelmingly preferable option anymore now that Mega Man can't hold it while shooting lemons. (Just for example, IDK what the Mega Man boards think about it.)

And like you said, locals are a good venue for experimenting.
We lost Lemon Blades, but we gained Boost Blade recently, so, if anything, I think Metal Blade is now even more overwhelmingly better than it was pre-patch.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
We lost Lemon Blades, but we gained Boost Blade recently, so, if anything, I think Metal Blade is now even more overwhelmingly better than it was pre-patch.
If by boost blade, you mean Dash item tossed canceled item toss, that was in the game prepatch (and Brawl). It just was never explored because everyone said it sucks.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So @ DunnoBro DunnoBro was nice enough to upload most of the Evo sets onto my wii u, but since I'm not going to evo and I'd also like to experiment with SL+HG and maybe other custom sets, I was thinking I'd just take the last 3 off of each set. Based on aa's original post it shouldn't be a problem because 6 sets were meant to cater to 90% of the community. The evo sets go from most to least popular, yes? Or are there crucial sets in those back 3 for certain characters?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
So @ DunnoBro DunnoBro was nice enough to upload most of the Evo sets onto my wii u, but since I'm not going to evo and I'd also like to experiment with SL+HG and maybe other custom sets, I was thinking I'd just take the last 3 off of each set. Based on aa's original post it shouldn't be a problem because 6 sets were meant to cater to 90% of the community. The evo sets go from most to least popular, yes? Or are there crucial sets in those back 3 for certain characters?
Trying to keep it to the 9/10 slots would be ideal. But for the most part it should be fine, if there's an issue at a custom event in our area I should likely be present to upload the needed sets at the time.

Last edited:

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
So the Mewtwo custom glitch works with everybody. Doesn't that mean that (after making 81 mii's) every character would have every custom set combination possible?

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
...Hello, potential solution to all of our problems! :laugh:
The second up-b is clearly the best special in the game.

If you feel like you're going to lose a match, all you gotta do is press up-b and suddenly the game crashes. "Whoops. The game crashed. I don't know how that happened but I guess we gotta go again." :p

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The second up-b is clearly the best special in the game.

If you feel like you're going to lose a match, all you gotta do is press up-b and suddenly the game crashes. "Whoops. The game crashed. I don't know how that happened but I guess we gotta go again." :p
I know you're joking, but it's worth noting that if you crashed the game, it was previously considered your loss in Brawl, at least. Sheik had a glitch on her Forward-B that could crash the game if you didn't have any moves in the stale moves queue before activating it a certain way. Easy enough to blame on you if your character has moves that crash the game even if it's not your fault. :p

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I have just a minor suggestion for the lists in the Op.

The original list was 8 moves, with 2 blank spaces for making another custom set on the fly. Is this correct?

If so, it might be nice to have the final 2 sets that could be somehow marked (by parenthesis maybe?) so if I want to keep 2 sets open for other customs I can.

I'm not sure if all tournaments will eventually just use the 10 standard moves that the community decides on, but it would be nice to know which ones are MORE preferred, or I guess the 2 which are least used for other setups.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I have just a minor suggestion for the lists in the Op.

The original list was 8 moves, with 2 blank spaces for making another custom set on the fly. Is this correct?

If so, it might be nice to have the final 2 sets that could be somehow marked (by parenthesis maybe?) so if I want to keep 2 sets open for other customs I can.

I'm not sure if all tournaments will eventually just use the 10 standard moves that the community decides on, but it would be nice to know which ones are MORE preferred, or I guess the 2 which are least used for other setups.
The first few in each list are considered critical sets, the ones most likely to be used on average ("the best ones"). After that, there are the less popular ones and ones that exist just for specific matchups.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
The first few in each list are considered critical sets, the ones most likely to be used on average ("the best ones"). After that, there are the less popular ones and ones that exist just for specific matchups.
OK. Good to know. I'd like to get my wii u setup with as many of the sets as possible but keep couple slots open for customization down the road

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I do think it would be pretty amazing if we could have the mii glitch staying and it let us use all 81 sets for everyone.

Of course, there is the problem that scrolling through a whole bunch of crap sets to get to the one we want (which is going to be imminent) may or may not take a lot of time. We'd have to do tests. I'd wait for another patch before we implement it. It's only worth using if Nintendo is planning on keeping it.

On the other hand, if we start using it, Nintendo may see it as a beneficial thing to keep around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom