• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Official Custom Moveset Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Dunk Cyclone's windbox is truly excellent, but default super dunk shouldn't be counted out with it's nearly limitless range, homing properties, and unblockable meteor.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Man I'm legit making a Shaq Fu Mii Brawler after this.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
In all seriousness, Mewtwo, Lucas, and the mystery fighter will probably all have their own customs. Thankfully, we'll have plenty of enthusiasm for all 3, so it shouldn't be too tough.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
If Mewtwo is getting released in 2 weeks, then I have no doubt his custom sets will be ready for EVO. Lucas, however, I am not sure about. June is a bit too close to July.

Also, there's kind of the problem of buying both of them for every unit at EVO, isn't there? If Nintendo is sponsoring us, I hope they can help with that.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
If Mewtwo is getting released in 2 weeks, then I have no doubt his custom sets will be ready for EVO. Lucas, however, I am not sure about. June is a bit too close to July.
Worst case (Lucas is released in time for usage at EVO, but not in time to vote on customs), we could ask Wizard to let this set rock:

That at least gives players the option to upgrade one of his specials to any custom of choice.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
So with the balance patch, we might see some special moves get buffed/nerfed and a need to swap sets. This could be problematic. I don't see it being an issue for most, but we might end up with a few characters who need drastically different sets.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So with the balance patch, we might see some special moves get buffed/nerfed and a need to swap sets. This could be problematic. I don't see it being an issue for most, but we might end up with a few characters who need drastically different sets.
Has anyone approached Mr. Wizard mentioning this fact? It would be rather unfortunate for example if DK had his Kong Cyclone nerfed into the ground (not saying it's likely nor needed), because all of his sets have it.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
We need to figure out if Mewtwo will be allowed at EVO, Wizard said he might not allow him if he's a timed exclusive. He is, but both release dates are well before EVo.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
We need to figure out if Mewtwo will be allowed at EVO, Wizard said he might not allow him if he's a timed exclusive. He is, but both release dates are well before EVo.
His public release date is April 28, so I don't expect there will be much of a fuss unless he's super anal about it or something.

I'm more worried about Lucas. "June 2015" is cutting it rather fine since EVO is July 27. (I think.) It will depend heavily on whether Lucas drops at the beginning or end of the month, and frankly I'd expect the end given Nintendo's usual MO.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I actually am pretty worried that our "optimal" 10 sets wont be optimal once the patch hits. Even if custom moves arent directly adjusted, the reasons they are important could change.

Maybe we should just revert to allowing only 1 special upgrade at the time. 8 sets for every character...

I guess we can only wait and see and try to fix whatever arises.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
His public release date is April 28, so I don't expect there will be much of a fuss unless he's super anal about it or something.

I'm more worried about Lucas. "June 2015" is cutting it rather fine since EVO is July 27. (I think.) It will depend heavily on whether Lucas drops at the beginning or end of the month, and frankly I'd expect the end given Nintendo's usual MO.
As of right now, Mewtwo is legal and we can make his custom sets when he releases. Lucas is not going to be legal, and I don't really see that changing unless Nintendo makes his release like June 1st or something.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Mr. Wizard has already confirmed that Mewtwo is legal, Lucas is not legal, and that we'll be rocking any patches that hit at least through June (he didn't specify what the cut-off date for patches is, but he said if one comes with Lucas it will be used even as Lucas won't be legal). These are important things to keep in mind.

I understand concerns that a patch may affect custom load-out viability; I have had that thought myself. However, if we remember the 1.0.4 patch, relatively few changes were to special moves at all (custom or default). Nintendo seemed to mostly prefer to tweak other things to balance characters, and honestly, we'll just have to wait and see. It's likely impossible to change the EVO sets for the general cast at this point, but if something drastic happens, we may want to try to talk to Mr. Wizard about it. However, given the stakes of taking such an action and the fairly strong probability that everything will be fine, we should wait until the patch actually hits to worry about any hypothetical de-optimizing of our sets by it. I actually think it's most likely that the patch won't change what sets are optimal at all for any character even assuming it is a substantial balance patch.

What we do need to discuss is how we're going to handle Mewtwo. I don't know what Mr. Wizard's timeline is for us getting him Mewtwo sets, but we shouldn't play around and should do so as quickly as possible. That being said, there will be a 13 day window wherein only some of us will have access, and I don't know if people are comfortable sorting Mewtwo out in that time (it would really be ideal if we can!). We could probably put together a passable set of moves for Mewtwo in about 48 hours if we had a good team super dedicated to exploring him; I think that's our minimum and since it's going into a weekend we might say that we could definitely have Mewtwo's sets done by April 20 (the Monday) as one avenue. If we feel like we need to take more time though, we should probably have an idea before the 15th hits; what do people think about this?

Also, just to be clear, Lucas will receive the same treatment as Mewtwo in the project and will have sets made shortly after his release. Just because Lucas won't be legal for EVO doesn't mean we won't make sets for him for the purpose of helping out other TOs who may decide to allow Lucas.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Just get an answer from Wizard on what the hard deadline will be and work from there. It makes more sense for us to use all of the time available to us to the fullest than it does to impose any restrictions on ourselves that may not be necessary.

I'm not terribly comfortable with finalizing everything before Mewtwo is even released to the general public.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If Mr. Wizard will allow us until, let's say, mid-May to finalize the sets, I don't think that would be too big of a problem to get sufficient discussion and testing while still giving EVO entrants plenty of time to find a set and train with it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Pretty sure Dragon Rush was the only custom nerfed last time. ********.

Nerf Exploding Balloons to not detonate when new ones are made and let opponents attack/destroy saplings, at least for Counter Timber. Kind of silly that it's a damaging hitbox that lasts over 10? seconds that you cannot directly counterplay and lets Villager do whatever he wants while it's up. It's terrifyingly dangerous how good Villager already is at camping ledge, these moves make it ridiculous and degenerate.

Nerf Kong Cyclone to not autocancel so well, make DK do that cute pose he does after landing from upb1.

That's all I can think of when it comes to "janky" or jarring customs that should probably be toned down. But I won't complain if they nerf standard specials like ZSS upb/downb, why are those moves so damn powerful whyyyyyy

I assume Diddy getting nerfed so no one should be whining about upb KO shenanigans.

I highly doubt any customs are getting buffed, too many of them are bad and characters that need buffs will probably get it on their normals. Revert Dragon Rush pls omfg that beautiful fkn move

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'll be getting Mewtwo on the 15th, so I'll try and help with initial research.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I second this, more than happy to grind out his customs to try and come up with a potential set.

~~~~~~~~~

Actually, I have an idea:
For all the people getting Mewtwo on the 15th, make a separate discussion thread for his customs and leave it open for a week, possibly ending the weekend after the 28th, and have all the people come up with 1 set only, their
preferred set. Then, the likely 10 or so Mewtwos will be able to provide reasoning for their choices, and AA/the Mewtwos will be able to determine their overall choices for the 10 sets and eliminate/combine various slightly deviant sets to come up with the ten. I don't think we'll be able to discuss Mewtwo for nearly as long as all the others, but if we can determine some type of elimination process relatively fast(For example, :4littlemac:'s customs follow the flowchart of 2, 1/2/3, 1, 1/2/3, which gives him a definitive 9 sets with room for 1 deviant.), he should be possible, and with the people confirmed to get Mewtwo on the 15th, we should have good discussion. We could even have people trading NNIDs in the thread to study his customs in matches to determine their viability.

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Fortunately I'm getting Mewtwo on the 15th as well. So my sheet will certainly be updated before months end.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Add me to the list for the 15th, and I'm definitely up for testing customs and stuff as well.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I second this, more than happy to grind out his customs to try and come up with a potential set.
Also getting Mewtwo on the 15th and willing to help test.
Likewise, I'm in the 15 and testing group.
Add me to the list for the 15th, and I'm definitely up for testing customs and stuff as well.
I should be able to get something out of the Mewtwo board by then. Once the 15th comes around aside from a 3 hour class, that day and the next morning (4 hours of getting paid to do next to nothing) I'll be researching Mewtwo strictly.
I'll definitely be testing mewtwo's customs out, hopefully can stream it with Boss/Chudat over that weekend. The 14th is the Wii U monthly though so they might be too tired to do it day of.
I'll be getting Mewtwo on the 15th as well, but I won't be able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to.
Also getting Mewtwo on the 15th, barring unexpected circumstances I'm planning on unlocking all his customs ASAP and spending a good bit of lab time with him.
Add me to the 15th testing group.
I'lll help you guys out with Mewtwo if I can. :3 Joining.
*joins the ever growing bandwagon*
I can also test on the 15th.

*hops on the wagon with the band*
Looks like we've got a great showing so far, 13 people including myself already willing to test. The 15th is on a Wednesday, so most of the straight-up custom grinding&discussion likely won't begin until Friday when the weekend comes by and jobs/school subside for a few days. I assume the best way to do this would be to open the thread on Friday, have everyone put down their NNIDs and add everyone else's, and once everyone's unlocked them all, start having matches and testing out their viability together to determine their personal set. These personal sets will have reason&justification provided by the people above who decide them, and would make up the 10-set list. After the 28th, any other Mewtwos will provide their personals with reasoning and the remaining ~17 sets will be filtered. Near-duplicate sets will be cut, overall unoptimal sets will be cut, the works.

Edit:Me trying to get this post to work right with colors and quotes: :GCLT::GCRT::GCA::GCStart:

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What we do need to discuss is how we're going to handle Mewtwo. I don't know what Mr. Wizard's timeline is for us getting him Mewtwo sets, but we shouldn't play around and should do so as quickly as possible. That being said, there will be a 13 day window wherein only some of us will have access, and I don't know if people are comfortable sorting Mewtwo out in that time (it would really be ideal if we can!). We could probably put together a passable set of moves for Mewtwo in about 48 hours if we had a good team super dedicated to exploring him; I think that's our minimum and since it's going into a weekend we might say that we could definitely have Mewtwo's sets done by April 20 (the Monday) as one avenue. If we feel like we need to take more time though, we should probably have an idea before the 15th hits; what do people think about this?
I should be able to get something out of the Mewtwo board by then.

Once the 15th comes around aside from a 3 hour class, that day and the next morning (4 hours of getting paid to do next to nothing) I'll be researching Mewtwo strictly.

I just pray this won't be another Mega Man board situation. Heck it might be a good choice to use the 2222/3333 set up idea here just to speed things up.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
The 15th is on a Wednesday, so most of the straight-up custom grinding&discussion likely won't begin until Friday when the weekend comes by and jobs/school subside for a few days.
Well I guess there's one plus to my college registration going screwy for this term; Wednesday changes nothing for me, so I can get a head-start on the project.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain to me how mii`s will work in evo with customs on? there are small ones and medium versions of mii brawler, does that mean you dont have to select the default mii?

How do you deal with customs regarding mii`s? They dont have the 10 slots that regular characters have, so do you make all of these mii`s beforehand with different movesets?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I won't be getting Mewtwo at the 15th as Sweden doesn't have Club Nintendo, but I'll get the dlc at the 28th and will probably unlock his customs the same day to experiment.

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Forgive me for wanting to addd something in rather late, but I had originally voted for one of Dr. Mario's custom move set to be 2211. I believe I was the only person in the forum to ask for this set. Hopefully it's not too late, but if we can change 2211 to 2311 I would be eternally grateful. I understand if changes can not be made, I just think it's worth a shot, since I was the only person to bring up 2211 as a set.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I'm getting Mewtwo on the 15th, but the problem is I won't be able to truly experiment with his customs until after 5 that night. Still, I'll try to be whatever help I can in getting his moveset in order.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I'll definitely be testing mewtwo's customs out, hopefully can stream it with Boss/Chudat over that weekend. The 14th is the Wii U monthly though so they might be too tired to do it day of.

Last edited:

RWB

Smash Ace
I'll do some testing as well, but i dunno how much help my opinions would be...

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
I'll be getting Mewtwo on the 15th as well, but I won't be able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to.

@ Reaper Talk Reaper Talk Unfortunately, EVO has already locked its rules in, so there is no way to change the sets right now AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom