• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Well, guys. I guess we've reached the end of the road. We now know just about everything regarding the 3DS version of Smash. Speculation was so much fun for me over the summer. There were so many fantastic moments with character reveals. The excitement coming from this forum whenever that happened always made me happy. Too bad it couldn't last forever.

I'd have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with our final roster. There are a few newcomers that I'm really interested in practicing with, and I got all my favorite characters back from Brawl, but others were unfortunately not so lucky. I really don't like character cuts, and I think we got a couple more than we expected. That's the only downside to this roster for me. I know that every character in Smash has a fanbase, so there are always going to be unhappy fans whenever a character has to get cut. All I can say is that I feel for you guys, but a character cut shouldn't keep you from not enjoying the game at all. There is still plenty of fun to be had in this brand new Smash that Sakurai gave us. There's so much attention to detail in this game, and there's so much uniqueness in the newcomers.

The newcomers we got in this game are phenomenal. Just about every single character we got brings something entirely unique to the table, not counting the new clones of course. Villager with his quirky move set, especially his down special. Megaman with his plethora of projectiles. Rosalina with her puppeteer Luma strategy. Little Mac with his insane ground game. Shulk with his buffs/nerfs gimmick. I think that we should all appreciate how much work was put into this game to give us all of these unique characters, and stop focusing on the one character that you may dislike, or the few clones we got that literally didn't take development time away from any of these newcomers. If you really take the time to look at our newcomers, you might get the sense that there's something here for everybody. That's the sense I got.

Overall, this ride has been a great one. Even though it seems like we've reached the end completely, speculation is not quite over yet. We still have a Wii U version that we know surprisingly little about; we don't even know the release date. We also have more and more evidence popping up that supports the inclusion of DLC in the future. Ultimately we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but something tells me that all of the surprises aren't over yet. It has been an honor for me to be a part of the Smashboards forum with all of you during this time, especially the character threads. I hope we all find it in us to have fun with the new Smash, despite some of the controversial decisions. The game is still going to be an incredible experience.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
DLC will be Wolf, Ridley/King K, Mewtwo, and another series not in the game at all or Impa:

Gather round for a theory kids!

Wow, Lucina has the ability to move down to where Shulk is. Now, since that is possible, what would cause her to move?
First, let's say Wolf and Mewtwo were in, Duck Hunt Dog and ROB could slide down to the next row. Luina would then move down. After that let's say, something causes Yoshi to move, the most logical thing would be Dr. Mario moving where he belongs. Game and Watch would then move to that row, putting DHD, ROB, and G&W (the retros) all together.

Where are we right now?
Fox-Falco-Wolf-Pikachu-Charizard-Lucario-Mewtwo-Jiggly-Greninja
Ness-Falcon-Villager-Olimar-WFT-Dark Pit-DHD-ROB-G&W
Lucina-Shulk-PacMan-Megaman-Sonic-Mii-Random

This leaves two more spots open on the roster. Okay, well let's first switch Dark Pit and Lucina, and then Lucina with Little Mac. Lucina is now with Fire Emblem. And let's move Pit and Palutena down with Dark Pit. Hopefully you are following along.

Mario-Luigi-Peach-Bowser-Dr.Mario-Rosalina-BowserJr.-Wario-Yoshi
DK-Diddy-Link-Zelda-Sheik-Ganonodorf-ToonLink-Samus-ZeroSuit
Marth-Ike-Robin-Lucina-Kirby-Dedede-Metaknight
Ness-Falcon-Villager-Olimar-WFT-LittleMacDHD-ROB-G&W
Pit-Palutena-DarkPit-Shulk-PacMan-Megaman-Sonic-Mii-Random

Okay no here comes the magic. Move Metriod down

DK-Diddy-Link-Zelda-Sheik-Ganonodorf-ToonLink
Marth-Ike-Robin-Lucina-Kirby-Dedede-MetaKnight-Samus-ZeroSuit
Pit-PalutenaDarkPit-Shulk-PacMan-Megaman-Sonic-Mii-Random

You see where I'm going?

DK-Diddy-KingKRool/Dixie-Link-Zelda-Sheik-Ganonodorf-ToonLink-Impa/Other
Marth-Ike-Robin-Lucina-Kirby-Dedede-MetaKnight-Samus-Zerosuit
Pit-Palutena-DarkPit-Shulk-PacMan-Megaman-Sonic-Mii-Random

You could also put Little Mac in the Impa/Other slot and put Lucas next to Ness.
You could also switch Metroid with DK to get Ridley to fit.

THIS should have been the real roster.

This is probably one large DLC straw grasp.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So I see we're back into the speculation period again. It's like a nostalgia trip you didn't want, and for obvious reasons.

Nonetheless, I plan on throwing my hat in the ring. Personally if you ask me, we need a fine retro DLC newcomer.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
So I see we're back into the speculation period again. It's like a nostalgia trip you didn't want, and for obvious reasons.

Nonetheless, I plan on throwing my hat in the ring. Personally if you ask me, we need a fine retro DLC newcomer.
Honestly I really wanted this to happen again, I missed it.

You guys know who we should really support for DLC?

:awesome:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly I really wanted this to happen again, I missed it.

You guys know who we should really support for DLC?

:upsidedown:
I don't know. If you ask me, I support Excitebiker and Muddy Mole.
(And yes I am under the realization that I have shown support for a character. I do however not yet know of the answer of what exactly I am doing with my life, but hopefully it will yield positive results.)

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That was a nice time off, pretty bleak, but short.

Anyway, as far as DLC goes I think if any more comes, it's Wolf, Krystal, Lucas, Dixie Kong, Sceptile, Micaiah, and maybe Toon Zelda

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's been 300 years...

I feel like I just came back home after a long trip away.

Anyway, time to speculate for Snake and Rayman. :troll:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Still really want to see Sceptile, but Mewtwo is scheduled beyond what I would call the promotional time frame... but a man can dream.

My Ridley hope is finally dead.

I still want to expect new DK and Zelda reps.

Are we still missing Isaac and Ray and other assorted ATs?

Ice Climbers and other cuts could be healed.

The other two Op Rainfall protagonists are cool.

Anthony Higgs as a Snake replacement?

I don't know how I feel about 3rd party DLC. Sounds like pollution to me.

Muddy Mole seems cool if he could incorporate a digging mechanic.

Just spit balling.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So. Now that it's been proven that character that have gotten trophies (which for many was thought to be a disconfirmation) can still get in, what does that mean for potential newcomers?

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I don't know. If you ask me, I support Excitebiker and Muddy Mole.
(And yes I am under the realization that I have shown support for a character. I do however not yet know of the answer of what exactly I am doing with my life, but hopefully it will yield positive results.)
ExciteBike seems to be getting a strange amount of love recently, as far as Smash goes. Obviously there's the trophy, nothing too exciting there, though it should be noted that he didn't get one in Brawl. But he's also featured in Smash Tour, at least twice in the trailer as a modifier that makes stat boosts do more, or something along those lines.

I would love to see Excitebiker be the retro DLC character! He was considered for Melee, and since Sakurai has been much more creative with movesets recently I would love to see him revisit the idea.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
AND WE'RE BACK but unfortunately, Ridley is dead.

Anyway, I think that the most likely DLC characters in the future would be Impa (Zelda), Inkling (Splatoon), Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong), Isaac (Golden Sun), and all of the cut veterans from Brawl (:wolf:, :lucas:, :squirtle:, :ivysaur:, :popo: + :snake: if we're lucky).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can't believe I'm back here. Oh, this is going to be so much fun.

Well, I guess I should toss out some predictions.
I think the most likely independent characters for DLC, regardless of being new or old, are in this order:

1. Mewtwo (confirmed)
2. Wolf
3. Lucas
4. Impa
5. King K. Rool / Dixie Kong
6. Captain Toad
7. Solid Snake
8. Isaac
9. Ridley
10. Playable Assist Trophies

---

I am not saying we will get any of these characters sans Mewtwo, nor am I implying we'll get all of them.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
ExciteBike seems to be getting a strange amount of love recently, as far as Smash goes. Obviously there's the trophy, nothing too exciting there, though it should be noted that he didn't get one in Brawl. But he's also featured in Smash Tour, at least twice in the trailer as a modifier that makes stat boosts do more, or something along those lines.

I would love to see Excitebiker be the retro DLC character! He was considered for Melee, and since Sakurai has been much more creative with movesets recently I would love to see him revisit the idea.
Eh, I just want him because I like the concept of the character.
Though I didn't see him in the Direct. Maybe I just missed him.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Yes, this thread is open again. Now I can finally fix my grammatical error from my very last post here.
That has truly been bugging me since this thread got locked.

Honestly, I'm not really going to expect any characters besides Mewtwo to be DLC until we get official word. I'll still gladly follow this thread until it gets archived again though. This was always my go to thread during the speculation period, and I've missed this place. I can't wait to read, and maybe even partake, in all of the new on going debates for the time being. Shall we begin?

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
It's a great day for Smash history to have Mewtwo back in the fold once again. As far as potential DLC characters I feel that Dixie Kong and Impa are the logical front-runners; though I want Snake back in even though it's pretty unlikely.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My choices for DLC.

1) Snake
2) Inkling
3) Wonder Red
4) Isaac
5) Wolf
6) Lucas
7) Ice Climbers
8) K.Rool

In no particular order. Glad to see Mewtwo is coming back. That pretty much made my day.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we'll get anymore character DLC. I think Mewtwo is here simply so there's less flack for Dr. Mario's return and so that a lot more people might be interested in getting both versions. I think that Smash 5 should get any Metroid newcomer (Ridley preferably obviously), Dixie Kong AND King K. Rool (to make up for the lack of a DK newcomer this game), a new Zelda newcomer (I hope for Impa, but who knows with all these excess characters), Krystal, Isaac, Takamaru, Inklings, Saki, and whatever joke character they can come up with (the doctor from Brain Age? Nintendog with 8 different breeds for color swaps? lol). Any newer Pokemon to replace Greninja if he ends up getting cut. I wouldn't want another Mario character, but if they had one, I would like King Boo for a villain assuming Luigi's Mansion gets another game in the upcoming years. Maybe Bandanna Dee, even though I think other series are more needing of character representation in the roster. Then Ice Climbers and Wolf return. I would assume the clones get cut along with Greninja, but maybe not.

EDIT: Other miscellaneous characters could be Wonder Red and Dillon for newer representation. [:

P.S. if Sega gets any closer deals with Nintendo in the coming years, perhaps we'll see another Sonic character, probably Tails or Eggman if I had to guess.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Sucks that Ridley get deconfirmed....again....

I wanna say Dixie, K Rool, Isaac, Ray MK, Impa, Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers for DLC

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, I'm hype this thread is back too!

Just to remind, I'm still going to support Paper mario as determined as I was and I really love how mewtwo is our savior (seriously, I might look forward to it just because of that).

Happy speculation reboot :)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
My DLC choices:

Melee Pack:

Mewtwo
Ice Climbers
Roy

Brawl Pack:

Lucas
Wolf
Snake

Newcomer Pack:

Super Metroid Ridley (this won`t die) (*note that his KO icon is his Brawl/Super Metroid Design, and not Other M Ridley)
Impa
Dixie Kong

I know it's a lot, but we'll see :p

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
And so the battle begins anew. It's a bit exciting to me. I'll be mostly watching from afar this time. I had my fill of speculation and thinking possible playstyles and movesets for now. It was fun though.

Would be cool to see Wolf or something.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DLC Newcomers
1. Toad (Captain Toad)
2. Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze)
3. Impa (Hyrule Warriors)

DLC Veterans
4. Wolf (Star Fox U)
5. Lucas (Mother 3 for Wii U VC if that happens)
6. Mewtwo (confirmed)

I think that's pretty much it.

I cannot see Ice Climbers happening even on the Wii U... no way there won't be slowdown if there are 16 Ice Climbers present.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
DLC Newcomers
1. Toad (Captain Toad)
2. Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze)
3. Impa (Hyrule Warriors)

DLC Veterans
4. Wolf (Star Fox U)
5. Lucas (Mother 3 for Wii U VC if that happens)
6. Mewtwo (confirmed)

I think that's pretty much it.

I cannot see Ice Climbers happening even on the Wii U... no way there won't be slowdown if there are 16 Ice Climbers present.
To play Devil's Advocate, Sakurai said the Ice Climbers were "running fine" on the Wii U. Guess 8 Player wasn't an issue. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom