• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero

We actually agree on pretty much everything, except for this:

From:http://www.latintimes.com/super-sma...firms-no-ice-climbers-and-explains-why-262292

I believe that it could indeed work!

I'm mad he thought it would be "unfair" because its more "unfair" not to have them at all!
1) I see SOMEONE has been reveling in Ultimate Despair.

2) Thanks for correcting me. I got that info second-hand and understood it as "The Ice Climbers were too much for the 33DS so they were cut."

If I can get Icies, BanD, and Marshal all revealed there will be much joy in my one small sect of the world.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well, no, it's totally fair. It's not necessarily nice, but it is objectively fair.
I just don't get why the same roster thing is the only promise he keeps. Wii U exclusives would be fine.

1) I see SOMEONE has been reveling in Ultimate Despair.

2) Thanks for correcting me. I got that info second-hand and understood it as "The Ice Climbers were too much for the 33DS so they were cut."

If I can get Icies, BanD, and Marshal all revealed there will be much joy in my one small sect of the world.
Yeah, at that point I was just a bit mad. But the fact he didn't bother to fix them, made me really mad. I honestly feel like ICs and Wolf would be the two we for sure get after Mewtwo.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Legitimately... we'd likely only be seeing 1 or 2 newcomers if any at all. In that case... I hope we get a proper aerial fighter.
Just... for my gameplay style, this pool of newcomers hasn't been that strong. Some great characters, just not fighters that suit me.

:4villager:: His aerials are pretty abysmal and I feel like most of his power comes in that pitiful ranged F-smash.
:4megaman:: I absolutely love him being in but god I suck with him.
:4wiifit:: ... MOVING ON.
:rosalina:: My Psuedo-Icies... a nice character, kinda fun to play, but too reliant on micro-managing for me to work with.
:4littlemac:: Really fun to use for laughs. But man that air game.
:4greninja:: A new :4sheik: to me. Not a fan of the massive speed.
:4miibrawl:>:4miisword:>:4miigun:: And.... Kinda fun to play I guess?
:4pacman:: If I could use the On-Fire Hydrant as a default I'd like him a bit more. Okay, just not someone I like playing too much.
:4palutena:: I hate hate HATE her default specials.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Honestly there's just a couple moves that really rub me the wrong way. Namely the Dash attack, Nosferatu, and Thunder->Thoron. Plus, really not a fan on having to wait around for my Elwind tomes to respawn to recover.
:4lucina:: Faster, weaker :4marth:.
:4shulk:: Man I wish Back Slash was usable and I felt more comfortable playing him.
:4darkpit:>:4pit:.
:4duckhunt:: ...No. Just... He's Snake 2.0 to me.
:4bowserjr:: Legitimately the character I love the most in this game. I rarely find myself using his Cannon and use Mecha Koopas just to force people to stay close and really fight it out. And his aerials are just so good.
As someone who loves playing :4jigglypuff:&:warioc:, I just find :4bowserjr: as the only character with a similar amount of raw air control in this game. I hope for someone new to help fill that niche... which feels like it should really be a larger archetype in this kind of game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As much as I want Chrom...honestly, seeing how he's literally everywhere I think he'd be too much work to make DLC. Not only would they now need to change Robin's Final Smash, but also his Palutena Codec and victory screen...and I think that's asking too much. Sorry, old friend. May you and Starfy make it into the next one. :(

On more realistic notes, I can see us getting five characters at most as DLC, including Mewtwo. As for who I'd like, I'd say the Ice Climbers (they have time to fix them now), Chorus Kids (see Ice Climbers. I believe Sal was right but outdated), Wolf (only one of his moves was used as a custom, and his trophy notably doesn't use the exact Brawl model), and either K. Rool or Dixie Kong (both if we get six. I just see the others as having higher priority).

Just my opinion though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As much as I want Chrom...honestly, seeing how he's literally everywhere I think he'd be too much work to make DLC. Not only would they now need to change Robin's Final Smash, but also his Palutena Codec and victory screen...and I think that's asking too much. Sorry, old friend. May you and Starfy make it into the next one. :(
Just my opinion though.
It admittedly would be funny to see Chrom become playable when fighting Robin and Robin wins.

"Ha, you'll never defeat me, Chrom! Right, other Chrom?"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It admittedly would be funny to see Chrom become playable when fighting Robin and Robin wins.

"Ha, you'll never defeat me, Chrom! Right, other Chrom?"
The other's the Chrom from the bad future. :awesome:

But yeah. I was still open to it when it was only changing Robin's Final Smash, but now...as the biggest Chrom supporter around, they'd need to change too much. Anything can change, yes, but everything?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The other's the Chrom from the bad future. :awesome:
But yeah. I was still open to it when it was only changing Robin's Final Smash, but now...as the biggest Chrom supporter around, they'd need to change too much. Anything can change, yes, but everything?
Well, the victory pose is an easy fix; just give a Robin a fixed win quote against Chrom that doesn't involve her posing with him.
The Final Smash is a bit more tricky, though. I guess they could have another Awakening character like...um Frederick?
That leaves the trophy, which evidently doesn't effect anything (see: Mewtwo) and the codec with Palutena, which is also a non-issue.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, the victory pose is an easy fix; just give a Robin a fixed win quote against Chrom that doesn't involve her posing with him.
The Final Smash is a bit more tricky, though. I guess they could have another Awakening character like...um Frederick?
That leaves the trophy, which evidently doesn't effect anything (see: Mewtwo) and the codec with Palutena, which is also a non-issue.
I suppose. I just think at that point it'd be too much, considering Sakurai's stance on him being not-playable.

Best I can do is hope that Awakening gets a follow-up that expands upon him more, like what Marth's and Ike's sagas got. :p

But anyway, I working on a little something in the meantime for some of the DLC ideas I support.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even if there wouldn't need to be a fair amount to change, I doubt Chrom would be much of a priority anyway, considering we got two new FE characters from his game and Sakurai said he envisioned him as playing pretty similarly to what we've already got.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Even if there wouldn't need to be a fair amount to change, I doubt Chrom would be much of a priority anyway, considering we got two new FE characters from his game and Sakurai said he envisioned him as playing pretty similarly to what we've already got.
Well, I was envisioning him as an Ike clone, and he already has a really nice model in the game, so I imagine it he caved to fan demand he wouldn't have much work to do for him...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
they should bring back the melee clones

:younglinkmelee::roymelee::pichumelee:
Ehhhhhh...

...Young Link is just so unnecessary with Toon Link, Pichu would really be pushing the Pokemon, and Roy, well...has some more glaring issues than even Chrom, IMO.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Zelda has :4tlink:

FE has :4lucina:

And Pokemon has like a bajillion characters (either a bajillion or six, I haven't been paying attention), it doesn't need any more.

So, nah. We got Mewtwo, that's good enough.

Staarih

Smash Master
Isaac and Dixie are probably the only two newcomers of whom I feel pretty confident when it comes to DLC. Sure, I'd love K. Rool, Bandanna Dee and Ridley too, but I'm not as confident of them. Not that I have any power in it haha, but just a hunch. Sure, the likes of Paper Mario, Geno and Takamaru are also on my wishlist, but at this point, they don't seem likely at all for obvious reasons.

I do like the idea of fresh characters like Inkling though, totally warming up on that.

Edit: Forgot to comment on veterans. Lucas and Wolf are definitely deserving, and Ice Climbers is a must. They just need to make them work on the 3DS and they're good to go.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know who would make a great choice for DLC? Pichu.
Just simply give it some buffs and it could end up a lethal joke character.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know who would make a great choice for DLC? Pichu.
Just simply give it some buffs and it could end up a lethal joke character.
Pichu does not need any buffs; in my experience, he was always the better character. His self-damaging mechanic was what held him back and that is the entire point of his existence.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Pichu does not need any buffs; in my experience, he was always the better character. His self-damaging mechanic was what held him back and that is the entire point of his existence.
Well fine we can possibly keep that (and now that I think about it, it could lead into a lot of ideas for Custom Specials). But maybe perhaps in other areas.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Seems rather moot since I can't imagine he'll actually be coming back.
It's pretty telling that the only two cut Melee veterans we got back were those that were already planned for Brawl. Speaking of Forbidden 7, some of them could be used as clone extras to add to a particular pack featuring popular veterans. Toon Zelda, anyone?:p

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It's pretty telling that the only two cut Melee veterans we got back were those that were already planned for Brawl. Speaking of Forbidden 7, some of them could be used as clone extras to add to a particular pack featuring popular veterans. Toon Zelda, anyone?:p
wasn't Roy in the forbidden 7?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
wasn't Roy in the forbidden 7?
Yes.

Also, I think an Ultimate version of Smash 4 3DS and Smsh 4 Wii U, similar to how Marvel vs Capcom 3 got an update in the form of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is the only hope of getting the Ice Climbers back, with the Ultimate version of the 3DS version being on the New 3DS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Vets I expect : Wolf and Lucas.

Newcomers I expect : Dixie and Rayman.

Newcomers I'm dreaming of : Shantae and a second Xenoblade character (preferably Seven).

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yes.

Also, I think an Ultimate version of Smash 4 3DS and Smsh 4 Wii U, similar to how Marvel vs Capcom 3 got an update in the form of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is the only hope of getting the Ice Climbers back, with the Ultimate version of the 3DS version being on the New 3DS.
But 8 player ice climbers tho

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Everyone does.
Which leads to believe he will absolutely come back. His specials are in the game already, and his model is just Ness with no backpack and a cool 'do.
Sorry for interrupting, but may I ask if Lucas is really that popular outside the EarthBound fandom? I always just assumed people who arn't part of said fandom just see him as "that other EarthBound kid with the weird hair, Ness clone".

That aside, I really hate what they did with PK Freeze and Piercing Thunder, they're WAY slower than in Brawl. But that's a discussion for another time, another place.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Sorry for interrupting, but may I ask if Lucas is really that popular outside the EarthBound fandom? I always just assumed people who arn't part of said fandom just see him as "that other EarthBound kid with the weird hair, Ness clone".
He's not even popular among the japanese Mother fanbase, because Mother 3 has a really mixed reception there.

He was decided to be in Brawl before his game released.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

That aside, I really hate what they did with PK Freeze and Piercing Thunder, they're WAY slower than in Brawl. But that's a discussion for another time, another place.
He's probably more popular outside the Earthbound fandom than inside the fandom due to Smash...

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I really think that DLC is most likely going to be most of the lower-priority characters leftover from development (like Mewtwo apparently was), with a few characters from newer games thrown in.

This is why I can see characters like Ray, Chibi Robo, Isaac, etc. actually making it in through DLC, since they wouldn't have been very high on the priority list due to their franchises not seeming to have much of a future/lacking a bit in popularity. A DK character (probably Dixie) is pretty likely as well, maybe even a Zelda character (especially with Zelda U being released next year).

Aside from that, an Inkling, Captain Toad, Henry (Codename: S.T.E.A.M.), and potentially a few other characters from upcoming games are all pretty likely as well. Alt. Costume DLC could tie in to that too, maybe we'll get a Woolly Yoshi, or the new Link, etc.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm a little surprised by how underrated Dixie and Chorus Kids are because if anything, they seem the most likely with how much they pop up. (Not just Spainkiller)

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I'm a little surprised by how underrated Dixie and Chorus Kids are because if anything, they seem the most likely with how much they pop up. (Not just Spainkiller)
The frequency of them popping up in fake leaks (I'm assuming that's what you mean?) has no sway in how likely they are. A lot of people thought that Mach Rider, Dixie, Ridley, and a few others were guaranteed because they were in a lot of fake leaks, and look what happened there.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I hate being back to speculation again, but:

Wolf - 90%, probably the easiest addition, with Star Fox Wii U confirmed he'd be a great way to promote it.
Ice Climbers - 70%, they were working perfectly on Wii U. Now they have plenty of time to fix them, so I'd say they'll most likely be back, but it might be a while, depending on how much trouble they had.
Lucas - 35%, mainly because he's simply not that popular outside of Smash and Nintendo seems adamantly against localizing Mother 3.
Snake - 5%, I don't see third-party DLC happening.

Chorus Men - 5%, under the slim chance that all the rumors were accurate and not just feeding off of each other. Otherwise I'd say its more likely to get popular characters as DLC, or characters who were unfinished for the main game. Chorus Men is not happening unless they truly were planned, and I highly doubt they ever were.
Isaac - 80%, no reason for GS to be cut. It had a game since Brawl, yes it wasn't THAT popular, but neither was Metroid: Other M, and look at all the Metroid: Other M content in the game.
King K. Rool - 75%, extremely popular, probably the most popular/wanted character now that Mewtwo is confirmed.
Dixie Kong - 70%, I'd say there's a chance to get both, but K. Rool slightly wins it for me based on popularity and importance to the series. Dixie is important, but not nearly as much as K. Rool. The game itself confirms it by acknowledging K. Rool as DK's main antagonist.
Impa - 30%, she's still probably the most likely Zelda character in my eyes. But Sakurai probably thinks Zelda is well rounded right now.

That's about it.

I really think that DLC is most likely going to be most of the lower-priority characters leftover from development (like Mewtwo apparently was), with a few characters from newer games thrown in.

This is why I can see characters like Ray, Chibi Robo, Isaac, etc. actually making it in through DLC, since they wouldn't have been very high on the priority list due to their franchises not seeming to have much of a future/lacking a bit in popularity. A DK character (probably Dixie) is pretty likely as well, maybe even a Zelda character (especially with Zelda U being released next year).

Aside from that, an Inkling, Captain Toad, Henry (Codename: S.T.E.A.M.), and potentially a few other characters from upcoming games are all pretty likely as well. Alt. Costume DLC could tie in to that too, maybe we'll get a Woolly Yoshi, or the new Link, etc.
Well, the thing is, Sakurai doesn't like adding characters whose franchises may not continue or who may not appear again period. He was hesitant to add Ganondorf of all characters in Melee because he wasn't sure if Ganondorf would come back. I don't think we're getting Inkling, Henry, or any other characters from a "new" franchise like that. If a new game is confirmed to be in development for an established franchise, then yes I could see it happening. Otherwise, the max I can see is references to said franchise in future DLC packs, such as trophies, but not actual characters.

Captain Toad, on the other hand, is an established Mario character, so that I could easily see happening.

The frequency of them popping up in fake leaks (I'm assuming that's what you mean?) has no sway in how likely they are. A lot of people thought that Mach Rider, Dixie, Ridley, and a few others were guaranteed because they were in a lot of fake leaks, and look what happened there.
Yes, this EXACTLY. The reason those characters kept popping up is because one leak brought it up which seemed legit at the time, so every other fake leaker out there started adding them to future leaks to try and get "credibility" to their fake leaks.

Granted, the main argument right now is that it looks like Ridley may have been planned to be playable at one point. Which I agree with, but it doesn't mean anything for any of these fake leaks that popped up.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
All Star leaked the all star image and Spainkiller was right about the models of Ridley and Mewtwo (leaving Dixie and CK). On top of that, the person that leaked the 3DS footage mentioned MORE characters on the way and had a very specific name related to Rhythm heaven.
Funny thing is All Star was rather specific about Ridley and K.Rool not being playable after mentioning the remaining characters to be a Pokemon, a DK character and a new series character.

I don't think it's a coincidence, but eh.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just want everyone to shut up about leaks. Gematsu Part 1 and the Ninka/Vaanrose/ESRB leak are the only legit leaks. Sakurai has continuously killed every other single leak in existence, and he will continue to do so. We shouldn't take leaks into account at all because they're completely unreliable and the grand majority of them always turn out false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom