• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
8-Bit Mario?
While interesting, I doubt that he would be considered. I think of we got an 8-bit character, it would be along the lines of Sheriff.

I'm seeing all these big rosters and I'm surprised how long the optimism from Robin's reveal is holding.
I'm expecting around 52 still.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
For the empty slots, I'd add 8-Bit Mario, Ghirahim, and Dark Pit (ROB seems to be it for Gyromite). Aside from that, enjoy your roster for the time being.

Though I always found Bayonetta to be such a weird pick even by third-party representations are concerned. I just don't get the mentality behind why people want her badly to begin with.

If I can find out how to put up spoiler tags, I will do so in the future, but.....don't answer that last part, people!
Gyromite is a spot for a retro pick. And Masahiro sakurai is good friends with Hideki Kami who is the head of platinum games, and bayonetta 2 being exclusive as well as her being an awesome character in general is why i put her there. I honestly think she will be dlc if anything though.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Here is my prediction roster, and yes its a bit big but I kinda feel the roster will be bigger than expected thanks to namcos help.
(probably not this big though.)

So...
Paper Mario, Pig Ganon, and replace the Gyromite top with Isaac, and I think we'll have the final roster.
Maybe replace Bayonetta with Sceptile. Or Serperior! And Chorus Men with Marshall, it'd be easy to mix up the two.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Gyromite is a spot for a retro pick. And Masahiro sakurai is good friends with Hideki Kami who is the head of platinum games, and bayonetta 2 being exclusive as well as her being an awesome character in general is why i put her there. I honestly think she will be dlc if anything though.
I didn't get your clarification regarding Gyromite earlier until after I posted. And my comment regarding Bayonetta was supposed to be funny. I know why people really want her.:smirk:

8-Bit Mario?
While interesting, I doubt that he would be considered. I think of we got an 8-bit character, it would be along the lines of Sheriff.

I'm seeing all these big rosters and I'm surprised how long the optimism from Robin's reveal is holding.
I'm expecting around 52 still.
I could very well be wrong regarding 8-Bit Mario, but it's just a very cute idea in general, and it'd be something completely out of left field, and yet reflect Nintendo's historical legacy perfectly--what better way to represent another chapter than to add a character that would signify the entire company's video game empire!

52 isn't a bad assessment--certainly, I am only predicting at most, 56 playable characters--58 if the Mii Fighters are separate.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here is my prediction roster, and yes its a bit big but I kinda feel the roster will be bigger than expected thanks to namcos help.
(probably not this big though.)

I think a bigger roster is plausible, but frankly I don't think Snake, Bayoneta, or Chorus Men will be in. Gyromite is iffy, as well, though if you're saving it for a Retro rep, I can understand that logic.

I'd cut Snake (I don't think he's back), Bayoneta (I don't think she's in), and replace Chorus Men with another Rhythm Heaven rep. For Zelda, I'd add Impa, and Mario I'd add Captain Toad. I don't think we're getting a new retro character in this game, I'd add Isaac instead. I'd also add Sami (to replace Snake) and Black Shadow (to get Ganondorf's old moveset).

But... that's just me. :p I'd probably cut the sixth Mario and Zelda rep and leave them out, personally, I don't think we'll get a sixth rep from either franchise, but if we have them, again, Captain Toad and Impa.

I didn't get your clarification earlier until after I posted. And my comment regarding Bayonetta was supposed to be funny. I know why people really want her.:smirk:

I could very well be wrong regarding 8-Bit Mario, but it's just a very cute idea in general, and it'd be something completely out of left field, and yet reflect Nintendo's historical legacy perfectly--what better way to represent another chapter than to add a character that would signify the entire company's video game empire!

52 isn't a bad assessment--certainly, I am only predicting at most, 56 playable characters--58 if the Mii Fighters are separate.
I'm actually currently thinking 56 is getting more likely. 8-bit Mario? Don't see it ever happening, sorry.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot se '8 bit mario' being added without being called Jumpman.

They've specifically mentioned that they're sending out download codes, not just walking around with 3DS's with the game on it.

Which is a huge load of BS because these blokes are getting an instant demo of the game that they can play who knows how many times while anyone who went to Smash Fest had to wait in line for hours on end just to play two matches of the game.
Well, I didnt wait in line too long and I played Smash Run three times through, rather than just the matches. Learned quite a bit, but it was extremely chaotic. Even moreso than I'd have thought.... no, as much as I'd have thought.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I'm actually currently thinking 56 is getting more likely. 8-bit Mario? Don't see it ever happening, sorry.
Oh, don't be such a killjoy. 8-Bit Mario would be a great idea for a playable character. Besides, that's what all the people said when they found out via leaks that ROB was in, and Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario were out.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Oh, don't be such a killjoy. 8-Bit Mario would be a great idea for a playable character. Besides, that's what all the people said when they found out via leaks that ROB was in, and Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario were out.
But it wasn't a leak. It's just your theory (which is honestly kinda flawed) sorry :/

epicgordan

Smash Ace
But it wasn't a leak. It's just your theory (which is honestly kinda flawed) sorry :/
True. It isn't a leak. But why would it show up in the amiibo segment alongside the real Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, and Lucina when he wasn't even disconfirmed? My theory isn't flawed; it's just speculation, and frankly, it's something Sakurai would do as far as joke retro characters in a similar vein to ROB or G&W goes. Out of left field; not at all anticipated by the general public; guaranteed to be a secret character should he get in; and more than likely meant to be the final character you are meant to unlock.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
True. It isn't a leak. But why would it show up in the amiibo segment alongside the real Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, and Lucina when he wasn't even disconfirmed? My theory isn't flawed; it's just speculation, and frankly, it's something Sakurai would do as far as joke retro characters in a similar vein to ROB or G&W goes. Out of left field; not at all anticipated by the general public; guaranteed to be a secret character should he get in; and more than likely meant to be the final character you are meant to unlock.
The Amiibos were for games in general. Isn't Mario Maker one of the games that supports Amiibos? And if it wasn't confirmed yet, its still highly likely to be the case.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Can someone explain to me what 8-bit Mario can do that will make him interesting to play as?
Can I get a moveset?

D

Deleted member

The difference, however, was that Toad, Tom Nook, and Isabelle were already disconfirmed while Lucina, Mr. Game & Watch, and 8-Bit Mario were still at large. Consider it a very well-hidden hint on potential characters since Lucina has since been confirmed, and we all know that Mr. Game & Watch is still at large. Might as well keep the possibility open; the idea of a playable 8-Bit Mario could make some people grin a bit.
While the concept is intriguing yet hard to envision actually working, you have to remember that Smash isn't the only game amiibos work for.
amiibos is the concept of bringing Nintendo figures to life through games, so the artwork used for amiibos reflects that; it includes many of Nintendo's iconic characters from iconic franchises.

It doesn't necessarily reflect on what's going to be in Smash.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The difference, however, was that Toad, Tom Nook, and Isabelle were already disconfirmed while Lucina, Mr. Game & Watch, and 8-Bit Mario were still at large. Consider it a very well-hidden hint on potential characters since Lucina has since been confirmed, and we all know that Mr. Game & Watch is still at large. Might as well keep the possibility open; the idea of a playable 8-Bit Mario could make some people grin a bit.
Don't you mean "JumpMan"?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd rather we stop making up joke characters for the sake of making up joke characters.

Though we've already been over pretty much everything, so it's a given.

Have we talked about Takamaru lately? I think he'd make a good surprise reveal at CC, if we even get a reveal.

I had an idea of Takamaru and Snake being in the same trailer, with it being a drawn animation, using traditional Japanese styled artwork for Takamaru and Snake's look in most official art. It would be an interesting clash of eastern and western based artstyles.

Plus Takamaru and Snake make absolutely no sense and have no connection whatsoever, like Falcon in the FE trailer.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You know, the only part of the Mario series that hasn't been properly represented are the RPGs. As such, I believe that in the unlikely scenario that we get another Mario rep, it'll fall to either this nonclone:

Or another candidate for a villains trailer.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is Jumpman

This is 8-bit Mario

There's a difference.
Although not really, because they're the same guy...
That is rather like saying THIS is Megaman

I am now going to call you Crapcom. And all the little Pikmin you pluck shall inherit only leaves.

domokl

Smash Lord
I'd rather we stop making up joke characters for the sake of making up joke characters.

Have we talked about Takamaru lately? I think he'd make a good surprise reveal at CC, if we even get a reveal.

I had an idea of Takamaru and Snake being in the same trailer, with it being a drawn animation, using traditional Japanese styled artwork for Takamaru and Snake's look in most official art. It would be an interesting clash of eastern and western based artstyles.

Plus Takamaru and Snake make absolutely no sense and have no connection whatsoever, like Falcon in the FE trailer.
to be fair falcon was in the fire emblem trailer because his anniversary being at the same time as two fire emblem aniversary.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
to be fair falcon was in the fire emblem trailer because his anniversary being at the same time as two fire emblem aniversary.
Since when does made up fan speculation determine why certain characters show up at certain times?

Let me guess, Miis, Palutena, and Pac-Man all happened to have anniversaries on the exact date of E3 as well.

domokl

Smash Lord
Since when does made up fan speculation determine why certain characters show up at certain times?

Let me guess, Miis, Palutena, and Pac-Man all happened to have anniversaries on the exact date of E3 as well.
its perfecT timing and mutiple characters have been revealed at their anniversary. you really think their two anniversarys being really close was a concidence?

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
You know, the only part of the Mario series that hasn't been properly represented are the RPGs. As such, I believe that in the unlikely scenario that we get another Mario rep, it'll fall to either this nonclone:

Either of those would make me the happiest of campers.

Niala

Smash Ace

I think there's a certain amount of relevance to it. Several characters have been revealed alongside game releases with the intent to promote those games. Perhaps anniversaries mean nothing, but reveal dates have had some outside relevance, so there's no reason to believe anniversaries don't play a part, at least sometimes.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard

Interesting idea! But I have one objection, Falcon in FE's trailer did make sense in a way using the whole "opposites attract" theory. I'm not too big on the FE games, but it's easy to tell that a majority of the characters either use weapons or magic. Falcon, being a hand to hand fighter, relies on his moves (yup). So him demolishing Chrom and nearly taking Lucina's head off without being phase by their swords was a real something.

In your idea, the same could work for Takamaru and Snake, with Snake using more high-tech weaponry and Takamaru only weidling a katana (plus shurikens if I recall correctly). And both could fight hand to hand as well.

I would hope that if Chorus Men/Marshal are still legible candidates, that they are introduced with Jigglypuff since they both can be related back to singing.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
New game releases, yes, but random anniversaries? The anniversary of F-Zero isn't even close, it's in November.

Meanwhile both the first Fire Emblem and the latest Fire Emblem were released in April, so there's that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Fawful is my preferred pick to represent any RPG's. I hate the suggestion of Paper Mario because I don't want yet another alternate version of an existing character.

Khoru

Smash Champion
New game releases, yes, but random anniversaries? The anniversary of F-Zero isn't even close, it's in November.

Meanwhile both the first Fire Emblem and the latest Fire Emblem were released in April, so there's that.
and f-zero x was released on, uh... when was it again?
july fourteenth.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Interesting idea! But I have one objection, Falcon in FE's trailer did make sense in a way using the whole "opposites attract" theory. I'm not too big on the FE games, but it's easy to tell that a majority of the characters either use weapons or magic. Falcon, being a hand to hand fighter, relies on his moves (yup). So him demolishing Chrom and nearly taking Lucina's head off without being phase by their swords was a real something.

In your idea, the same could work for Takamaru and Snake, with Snake using more high-tech weaponry and Takamaru only weidling a katana (plus shurikens if I recall correctly). And both could fight hand to hand as well.

I would hope that if Chorus Men/Marshal are still legible candidates, that they are introduced with Jigglypuff since they both can be related back to singing.
You literally just described the exact point I made, they make no sense being together, hence they should appear together.
and f-zero x was released on, uh... when was it again?
july fourteenth.
Yes, you can find a date anywhere when you just pick a random game from the franchise. Straw grasping at it's finest.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace

hehehehe

That would actually be the cutest reveal ever omg

New game releases, yes, but random anniversaries? The anniversary of F-Zero isn't even close, it's in November. Meanwhile both the first Fire Emblem and the latest Fire Emblem were released in April, so there's that.
I can't honestly say whether or not there were Fire Emblem/F-Zero games released around that time, but I think you're missing my point, which is that while there may be absolutely nothing to it, setting up character reveals to celebrate anniversaries, big or small, isn't as wild as you seem to think it is.

domokl

Smash Lord
You literally just described the exact point I made, they make no sense being together, hence they should appear together.

Yes, you can find a date anywhere when you just pick a random game from the franchise. Straw grasping at it's finest.
just like how expecting little mac because he had an anniversary at thenintendo direct he was revealed in was straw grasping?

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
That would actually be the cutest reveal ever omg
Right? A friend of mine actually had the idea and I had a dream about that last night! I think I'll right it up on the "Make your character trailer" thread.

haha, guess I didn't read well enough :p

just like how expecting little mac because he had an anniversary at thenintendo direct he was revealed in was straw grasping?
Let's remember that Peach was apparently announced on an anniversary date, or so I've heard

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Pretty sure nearly everyone was expecting Dixie Kong because of Tropical Freeze, while Little Mac caught everyone off guard.

You want an example of how ridiculous this sounds coming from someone else?

I now speculate that King K. Rool will be revealed in November, after the 3DS version of Smash has already come out, because all three of the original DKC games were released in November. I also predict Ridley will be revealed at the same time because I randomly picked Metroid Prime out of all the Metroid games, and it happened to have been released in November in the US.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Very correct on anniversaries meaning zilch.
How many games are there for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon alone? Let me count thy names...
Or rather, I will not, because there are hundreds of titles.
To assume the anniversaries, read, one per year, matters for them, would be to say that every month matters for them.

Which perhaps is the point- at any month, a reveal could happen for any franchise.

Fawful is my preferred pick to represent any RPG's. I hate the suggestion of Paper Mario because I don't want yet another alternate version of an existing character.
Me too.
Yet, if we are going to get them for Zelda, Link, and Samus, I believe Mario should have one.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
The Amiibos were for games in general. Isn't Mario Maker one of the games that supports Amiibos? And if it wasn't confirmed yet, its still highly likely to be the case.
When is Mario Maker supposed to come out anyways? And on top of that, why Lucina and Mr. Game & Watch if their involvement in Smash was merely coincidental to the segment itself? Why were the only bubbles of characters that, at the very least, appeared or will appear in some capacity in Sm4sh? And on top of that, why is 8-Bit Mario currently the only non-playable character in Smash 4 who hasn't been disconfirmed as of yet? And it's not just Mario in his 8-Bit form, either; Mario in his 3D model is there as well!

I may be grasping straws, but I am not about to disregard this, especially since, again, you put it in the same context as ROB and Mr. Game & Watch, it makes a ton of sense that he'd be playable. Sakurai is rather coy in his hinting of characters; so far, Shulk, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, ROB, Falco and Wolf are the only characters so far not to have been hinted at all. And guess what? The Pokémon trailer showed Mewtwo and Jigglypuff completely absent; Monolith Soft practically gave Shulk away the weekend before the Fire Emblem trailer took everyone by surprise; and if you want to count the Arwings in last night's potd, it can arguably be regarded that as a coy hint towards Falco's return. If you wish to apply all of these little details, it pretty much means that ROB and Wolf are the only characters not to have any hints pointing in either direction.

You can call it straw-grasping; but it shouldn't be so easily dismissed because it's hard to imagine his inclusion.

domokl

Smash Lord
Pretty sure nearly everyone was expecting Dixie Kong because of Tropical Freeze, while Little Mac caught everyone off guard.

You want an example of how ridiculous this sounds coming from someone else?

I now speculate that King K. Rool will be revealed in November, after the 3DS version of Smash has already come out, because all three of the original DKC games were released in November. I also predict Ridley will be revealed at the same time because I randomly picked Metroid Prime out of all the Metroid games, and it happened to have been released in November in the US.
like all of the little mac thread saw that he had an anniversary sand thought it was him. alos the points you are making have nothing supporting them seeing as thats after 3ds smash is released. many people and smash fans use anniversarys seeing as many characters have been revealed at their anniversarys. you think all of those were concidences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom