• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yeah, if you want a monstrosity, here you go:

It's also clearly impossible at this point, so you can all rest easy.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

That Fox cut, though. Slippy over Krystal would be the greatest troll move ever. I'd be so happy.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
James, you've done excuses to Little Mac and Mii before they were confirmed, two of the most obvious newcomers that are in Smash 4 now, why can't you see the Sneaky Spirits as evidence that RH character is in.
I actually proposed multiple ideas for Miis before their reveal, and I was pretty damn close on the mark. Customize-able right out of the box, separate from the rest of the roster, not available to use online (unless with friends), the Mii you chose will have an effect on playstyle (short/tall Miis), and different moves from other characters being incorporated in some form. Pretty much the only thing I didn't guess was that there would be three different classes (swordsman/gunner/brawler), so I was nearly spot on that time.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate in most cases. I was neither for or against Mac, but I was wrong on some assumptions.
Though Mac had far more going for him than these guys do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That Fox cut, though. Slippy over Krystal would be the greatest troll move ever. I'd be so happy.
I would drink so many tears. I actually like Slippy, but that's mainly because I like frogs in general.
oh my god every meguca is here
i'm crying
Being in Smash = small compensation for suffering, no?

And by the way, Ridley is a Falco clone based on a Brawl hack that plops Ridley's head and wings on Falco's body.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I don't hate Rhythm Heaven, I actually quite like your Wrestler/Reporter idea, it'd be nice to see.
Oh. Thanks.

I admit that I am biased against the Chorus Men, they remind me of the Rabbids, those annoying hell spawns who can go shove a...
I'm surprised no one's made a correlation between the two on the screaming aspect to be honest.
Though at the same time, that (obviously fake) roster had Marshal as opposed to the Chorus Kids. Which would render the point about being "a random guy that no one would have thought of until he appeared on a seemingly real leak that ended up being false" unlike Snake to be invalid, since not only was Marshal not on the Gematsu leak, but he even had his own thread months prior to the Chorus Kids being part of Gematsu.

As I've stated before, and above, I think people are really clinging to those Sneaky Spirits like some sort of lifeline. It's the same kind of straw grasping as the Krystal supporters jumping at the Assault stage and thinking it somehow thinking it means she's in.
Not the same. At all.
The Star Fox stage holds absolutely no power towards Krystal. It's just a generic stage with no specific connection to anyone. The stage holds the same amount of power towards Krystal specifically as it does to Falco specifically, Wolf specifically, or even Slippy specifically. As in it has no bearings on any of them.

The Sneaky Spirits being enemies in Smash Run? Considering that every other non-Smash original enemy thus far are connected to series that feature at least one character (yes, Find Mii counts due to being connected to Miis), it stands to reason that Rhythm Heaven is to have a character of its own join the battle.

Of course, yes there is no RH character, so it's not quite the same to compare it to Krystal... But I've made this point many times; if the ducks from Duck Hunt show up in Smash Run, does that mean that Duck Hunt Dog is in? Etc. There has been no definitive statement of "Enemies in Smash Run are only chosen from franchises that have playable character representation."
If the Ducks were for some reason enemies in Smash Run, then yes, it would imply Duck Hunt Dog would be playable.
Only if something ridiculous like Mr. Froggins or a Nanocarp being enemies (since Nintendogs will never have a playable character and Electroplankton doesn't have any viable options for a character) would kill the logic outright.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how many of you noticed this, but the Challenger Approaching banners were taken down on the official website. So could that mean that one of those special surprises really will include a newcomer trailer? I'm predicting Shulk, Ness, and Meta Knight, though it's also possible that we'll see Chorus Kids, Wario, and Ness--however, I'd lean more towards the former. Either way, I reckon that we'll get Ness regardless.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@GoldenYuiitusin

This is exactly what I mentioned I like to see, rather than multiple people coming along, just mentioning the Sneaky Spirit and leaving it at that, you actually take the time to back up your arguments, while you also consider the alternate possibilities as well. The former being my main issue, as it's becoming redundant by this point. I agree with all the points you've made and I'm glad you saw through the Krystal ruse and tore it apart as expected. While I'm still not completely sold on a RH rep quite yet, the possibility is still very strong and I'm prepared for it. I still hope it won't be the Chorus Men, at any rate.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I'm not sure how many of you noticed this, but the Challenger Approaching banners were taken down on the official website. So could that mean that one of those special surprises really will include a newcomer trailer? I'm predicting Shulk, Ness, and Meta Knight, though it's also possible that we'll see Chorus Kids, Wario, and Ness--however, I'd lean more towards the former. Either way, I reckon that we'll get Ness regardless.
i could see a ness mewtwo and shulk or if they wanna add tons of hype ridley mewtwo and king k rool this is the last major event it will be in till the japan release day

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
How would you would react if this was the final roster, it's based on a somewhat believable leak we found on the Leaks group.
Only ones I'd disagree with are Doc and DHD. Everyone else seems to fit the roster. However, the lack of Lucas and Wolf are VERY disturbing. If Lucina made it in as a clone, I don't see how Lucas and Wolf will get the boot. Also, where the **** are the Ice Climbers?!?

Lack of K Rool and Ridley is somewhat disturbing here as well.

8/10

We may be showing too many newcomers for starting roster more than unlockables right now. Wouldn't surprise me if we get another Brawl, which only four newcomers that are new, Snake, and Sonic while everyone else is veterans. Would be quite disappointed if we get more new starters than unlockables.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I still think we're getting Chorus Men, but what if the Smash Run enemies were drawn from franchises represented by stages, but not necessarily characters? It's a theory that can't necessarily be ruled out yet; the other known series that could possibly meet this fate don't have viable enemies to offer (Nintendogs, Pilotwings), and we haven't seen all of the enemies Smash Run has to offer anyway.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
No, he does not do that.

He uses his Bow, then separates it into two knives, but never uses them as a sword together (at least, not like I'm picturing)
I guess I'm not understanding what you're picturing

and @ Cobalsh Cobalsh if Plateuna didn't use magic and holy powers with here staff. Yea. It'd be generic. If all of her moves were variations of hitting with you a staff that'd be generic. No need to be prick about it

epicgordan

Smash Ace
We may be showing too many newcomers for starting roster more than unlockables right now. Wouldn't surprise me if we get another Brawl, which only four newcomers that are new, Snake, and Sonic while everyone else is veterans. Would be quite disappointed if we get more new starters than unlockables.
It's okay. I reckon that five more newcomers + Mewtwo will remain hidden, while Shulk, Chorus Kids, Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight/Falco, and Ness all get confirmed as starters. That means that I'm predicting Luigi, 8-Bit Mario, King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Ghirahim, Toon Link, Ridley, Dark Pit, ROB, Meta Knight/Falco, Wolf, [Lucario], Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Lucina, ?Lucas?, Mr. Game & Watch, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man will all be unlockable characters.

Lucas is dependent on getting in or not. Either way, I think it's a safe bet that so far, Luigi, Toon Link, Lucina, and the 3rd party reps are the sole exceptions when it comes to prematurely revealed hidden characters--and maybe Lucario too if Lucas does indeed return. I am predicting four more reveal trailers:

SDCC and August Direct will show Shulk, Meta Knight, and Ness, as well as Chorus Kids, Wario, and Ice Climbers in two separate trailers.

September 13th: Around Japanese launch day, I could see Sakurai releasing a villain's trailer.

October Direct: The final reveal trailer showing 8-Bit Mario, and possibly Mr. Game & Watch and ROB, too.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Replace Politoed with Nidoking, Chrom with Micaiah and Pac-Man for an Idolmaster Character, and I'd be 100% for this.

And what's the point of an October direct? The game will already be 100% dissected by Japanese players by then.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
In regards to any character being revealed, these are my own personal opinions:

Best case scenario: Newcomer (possibly Takamaru?) with surprise appearance of Snake.
Second best case: Just Snake.
I'd also like to see: Ness.
Worst case: Goku revealed as newcomer. :troll:
What I'm expecting: Absolutely nothing.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
My first roster...
3DS&WiiU Roster.png

I don't expect the real roster to be this big mind you, although I don't think it's impossible. I just thought since it was my first attempt at creating a roster, I would try to add some fan favorites while putting in some of my personal most wanted newcomers.

Is this the part where I prepare myself for the backlash?

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
They think with the Sneaky Spirit that it points to a Rhythm Heaven character. A few people think Gematsu was only outdated and both leaks are probably still legit, meaning that it will probably be Chorus Men.
Hasn't Sakurai already confirmed that the Poppant(the food throwing guy idk if that's his actual name) from SSE makes an appearance in Smash Run? Doesn't that throw a wrench into the Enemy = Character theory? Or has this already been addressed?

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
My first roster...
View attachment 19036

I don't expect the real roster to be this big mind you, although I don't think it's impossible. I just thought since it was my first attempt at creating a roster, I would try to add some fan favorites while putting in some of my personal most wanted newcomers.

Replace Toon Zelda with Ghirahim (or any Skyward Sword rep of your choice), Paper Mario with 8-Bit Mario, and then add Dark Pit, and this list will be good to go. Don't worry; all you need to do is merge the Mii Fighters into the Random slot if you want to keep the roster as is.

Hasn't Sakurai already confirmed that the Poppant(the food throwing guy idk if that's his actual name) from SSE makes an appearance in Smash Run? Doesn't that throw a wrench into the Enemy = Character theory? Or has this already been addressed?
They're an exception because they represent Smash Brothers as a whole. Unless, of course, Sakurai's thinking about taking us by surprise and making Tabbuu a playable character.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I guess I'm not understanding what you're picturing

and @ Cobalsh Cobalsh if Plateuna didn't use magic and holy powers with here staff. Yea. It'd be generic. If all of her moves were variations of hitting with you a staff that'd be generic. No need to be prick about it
The staff also has elemental powers, so you're missing facts as well.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
As already said they're considered an exception since they didn't originate outside of Smash Bros. It's not at all weird to see them in smash run.

If you want to get technical though the Mii Fighter has the Smash Bros logo, so they could be said to be representing Smash Bros.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Personally, I didn't think it meant much to begin with, as Rayman has a trophy and I'm quite sure he's not in the game. Maybe RH get's an AT or something so they decided to include enemies for the series. It could mean anything really.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
My first roster...
View attachment 19036

I like it for those rarely predicted characters - Paper Mario, Toon Zelda, and Bandana Dee.
It's a mystery why more people don't predict Bandana Dee. I think he still has a good chance at making it in.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Regardless of the beautiful Great Fox that we get to enjoy when the game comes out :), I think a staff fighter is coming, whether it be Krystal or Bowser Jr. or someone else. It wouldn't be a whole new fighting style but it'd be different enough to make a statement!

In addition to Palutena!

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
ROB is a smash character, I don't care if they give him a different icon.

Joking tone, completely serious about the content.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bleh.
View attachment 19026
Have a go at this monstrosity. I have an alternative 55-slot roster with the addition of Dixie, Duck Hunt Dog, and Ridley, but I thought there were too many characters, so I cut those three.
The only real change I would make to this would be swapping Chorus Men for Marshall because as a fighter I personally believe he works better. Otherwise, this has more water to be the true roster than most others I see floating around this site. I have my lingering doubt of Mewtwo Striking Back... but I wouldn't exactly be shocked. While I'd prefer is slot go to Bandanna Dee for personal reasons, I'm pretty much all for this!

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
My first roster...
View attachment 19036

I think cranky could replace dixie, seeing as he is kind of the original DK?
If dixie is added in the same vain as Lucina, that would be cool too.

Man.. I wish the game would come out yesterday.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
My first roster...
View attachment 19036

This roster is really good and solid for a first attempt. Only a few notable problems:
Toon Zelda: There are far better zelda reps. I'd recommend Vaati, Impa or Ganon(Ganondorf's Pig Form), or even making that into a new series newcomer.
Star Fox doesn't warrant 4 characters, I'd replace either Wolf or Krystal with a different character, ideally a new series rep. The same applies to Black Shadow, but to a lesser extent.
Who would I recommend as new series newcomers? I'd recommend Andy from advance Wars, Isaac from Golden Sun, and/or Ray from Custom Robo, in that order.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Replace Toon Zelda with Ghirahim (or any Skyward Sword rep of your choice), Paper Mario with 8-Bit Mario, and then add Dark Pit, and this list will be good to go. Don't worry; all you need to do is merge the Mii Fighters into the Random slot if you want to keep the roster as is.

They're an exception because they represent Smash Brothers as a whole. Unless, of course, Sakurai's thinking about taking us by surprise and making Tabbuu a playable character.
Congratulations on being the first to comment on my first roster. I'm not exactly sure if that means anything to you, but I'll congratulate you anyway.

Like I told you a couple nights ago, I think Ghirahim has almost no chance of becoming playable due to him not being able to represent the Zelda series very well. He would, in essence, be representing one game rather than representing the entire franchise. Think back to Brawl when Twilight Princess was still new. We got a TP stage and updated character models, but no TP character. I believe that this time we're only getting a Skyward Sword stage with updated Zelda items, along with a couple new ones. Impa could work to represent more of the franchise, but if they chose the SS model, she would, like Ghirahim, be representing one game. Unless of course her OoT model was an alt costume, but I don't see that happening. Every other Zelda game she is either very old, or nonexistent. Toon Zelda can easily represent an entire third of the franchise, given that about a third of the Zelda games were created in that art style, and even more games featured Zelda as a child along with Link. And considering Toon Zelda is in my top two most wanted newcomers could mean that I'm biased. Not sure. I guess we just have different thoughts as to how characters get picked to be playable in Smash.

I see you mentioning 8-Bit Mario quite a bit. That was an awful pun... I'm not against the idea at all, and I have to say that I am interested in how such a character could work. Do you think he would be a clone, or have an original move set based on the NES games? I would like to see you elaborate a little more on your vision of that character.

I don't really see Dark Pit happening, but at the same time, I don't think it's impossible. I just think he's going to be an alt or a boss character on the Palutena stage. Dark Pit is still a big mystery for us, but there have been plenty of Dark Pit conversations here already. Let's just see what happens.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Congratulations on being the first to comment on my first roster. I'm not exactly sure if that means anything to you, but I'll congratulate you anyway.

Like I told you a couple nights ago, I think Ghirahim has almost no chance of becoming playable due to him not being able to represent the Zelda series very well. He would, in essence, be representing one game rather than representing the entire franchise. Think back to Brawl when Twilight Princess was still new. We got a TP stage and updated character models, but no TP character. I believe that this time we're only getting a Skyward Sword stage with updated Zelda items, along with a couple new ones. Impa could work to represent more of the franchise, but if they chose the SS model, she would, like Ghirahim, be representing one game. Unless of course her OoT model was an alt costume, but I don't see that happening. Every other Zelda game she is either very old, or nonexistent. Toon Zelda can easily represent an entire third of the franchise, given that about a third of the Zelda games were created in that art style, and even more games featured Zelda as a child along with Link. And considering Toon Zelda is in my top two most wanted newcomers could mean that I'm biased. Not sure. I guess we just have different thoughts as to how characters get picked to be playable in Smash.

I see you mentioning 8-Bit Mario quite a bit. That was an awful pun... I'm not against the idea at all, and I have to say that I am interested in how such a character could work. Do you think he would be a clone, or have an original move set based on the NES games? I would like to see you elaborate a little more on your vision of that character.

I don't really see Dark Pit happening, but at the same time, I don't think it's impossible. I just think he's going to be an alt or a boss character on the Palutena stage. Dark Pit is still a big mystery for us, but there have been plenty of Dark Pit conversations here already. Let's just see what happens.
Agree with your opinion on Ghirahim, although I don't think it's impossible for him to join as he's a different style from all the other characters.

For Dark Pit, I feel he won't be in this game as an individual fighter but will make an appearance as an assist trophy or costume and possibly lead him into the next game. I think he is a hint for the next game, much like Chrom.

But who knows! We could be playing our say 100th battle only to face a "Challenger Approaching" cutscenes of Snake and Mewtwo skydiving out of a helicopter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom