• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
Diddy should be higher:Diddy Trix: A Diddy Kong Combo Video

Bananas cannot easily be turned against him, this is a common myth that any Diddy player will tell you is simply not true.
This is true. If you get hold of one of Diddy's bananas then you aren't playing a good Diddy.

Also, how is it possible that DDD is doing this good. I know he has a CG and infinities etc, but you would think that TL, MK, Falco, ROB, pikachu, Oly etc would **** him enough to keep him out of that top spot.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Yeah but Diddy really hasn't been placing well in tournaments at all. Dedede on the other hand has been doing incredibly well in tournaments. Dedede also has pretty good aerials and power to back up his chaingrabs.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This is the tier discussion. Y'all are talking about matchups. Go to IvanEva's chart and discuss there if you wish to continue. thanks~
You can't discuss tiers without discussing two crucial things, tournament placement and match-ups. It's a fundamental tangent.

So, now that we know DK doesn't horribly fail against Snake/MK, I want to know why. It's probably because of range and power.

And stuff. I would appreciate answers.
For MK almost everything he has goes through mach tornado.

For everything else, it got explained quite well.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The only Diddy I ever played I used Pit's shield and forward B to reflect the bananas but DID NOT pick them up, because sometimes it's hard to remember which ones are yours and which ones aren't. I got a lot free hits because of that.

Diddy should be higher:Diddy Trix: A Diddy Kong Combo Video

Bananas cannot easily be turned against him, this is a common myth that any Diddy player will tell you is simply not true.
I am really puzzled about Diddy. I constantly see great stuff like then, then I go look at his tournament outings and honestly scratch my head. We all know he has the potential, sure, but why hasn't it translated to actual Tournaments?

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
Tier List

Note: There is no particular order within Tiers.

Top Tier

Snake
MK

I think we can all agree on this.

Upper High Tier

G&W
Dedede
Marth
Falco
Rob

These characters are a step above the rest of the cast but just aren't as great as the two tops. Dedede has a lot of great matches due to power and chaingrabbing, G&W has amazing airs and powerful smashes, Marth has great aerials and can KO early with sweetspots, Falco can chaingrab just about everyone in the game up to 50% and has one of the best projectiles, Rob has great projectile, recovery, Dsmash, and nair.

Lower High Tier

WarioWay to high! Just because he does good in tourneys doesent make him a good character. No way in hell he is above TL/Pika
Pikachu
ZeldaZelda is good, but not that good. Definitly not above TL.
Ice ClimbersBelieve it or not IC's game is predictable. They will try and grab you all day. They arent this high.
Toon LinkWay too low.

I don't think these characters are quite as good as the ones above them. They have a lot of advantageous matchups but they have some glaring weaknesses. Zelda and Pikachu have great defensive options but lousy approaches. Ice Climbers are reliant on graingrabs so if you can stay away from that or keep them seperate you can take them. Wario has a great air game but mediocre ground options. Wario may deserve to be in the tier above based on tournament rankings but lets see if that holds up. Toon Link has a good projectile game and solid aerials and ground game to back it up.

Upper Mid

Olimar
Pit
Wolf
Fox
DK
Lucario1-2 spots down.
Squirtle*

These characters are better than average but not incredible. Olimar is great at dealing damage but is gimpable. Pit can camp well but has slight difficulty KOing. Wolf's lasers and Fsmash are great but once Fsmash is diminished KOing can be hard and his aerials don't make up for that. Fox is great with good speed a good projectile and decent KO moves. DK has great matchups against the top tiers but I don't think he's dominant enough over the rest of the cast to warrant the tier above although he may deserve high tier based on tournament placements. Lucario has great range and good power (at high percentages) and a decent projectile. He's been doing well in recent tournaments so we'll have to see if that holds up. Squirtle is one of the best aerial characters in the game and has some amazingly fast attacks.

Mid

Lucas Lucas twice.. how can I take this seriously... Hes too high anyway.
Diddy
Lucas
ZSS
Luigi
Kirby

These characters are decent enough that they can hang in most fights but aren't great. They really don't have anything amazing to put them to the next level. Diddy is close but his problems KOing and bananas being used against him can hurt.

Lower Mid

Mario
Bowser Once again you put him twice. Whatever I quit.
Ike
Ness
Charizard*
Shiek
Bowser
Pokemon Trainer (composite)
Sonic

These characters are not completely outmatched but they're disadvantaged to most of the cast.

Low

Peach
Samus
Link
Yoshi
Ivysaur*
Gannon

These guys have a disadvantage against most of the cast. And have some pretty glaring weaknesses.

Bottom

Jiggly
C. Falcon

These guys unfortunately suck with rather low potential unless someone discovers something amazing about them. Jiggs is hurt by the new airdodging system and the debuff of rest. C.Falcon's moves are hard to place and the reward for hitting them isn't amazing.

So thats my list. You guys can tear it up right.
Read the bold.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You discuss matchups in the matchups section and bring over the results from that section to influence tiers. If you have a problem with any of the matchups, you can bring your arguement into those threads. That's the way it's done. Y'all are getting into specifics like "DK's have huge range and thanks to his B Air he also controls the Air". This talk should be brought over to the other forum where it can be discussed in detail.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Lucario also is placing very well in tourneys...with 7th or 8th most wins total....deserves to be higher than low.
the list was made two weeks ago when he had far less wins

Wario above Metaknight? Seriously? Wario is good, but he's not even close to being on the level Snake and MK are at now, in both Matchups and tournament outings. DK's good,but certainly not better than ROB, who outclasses him in both tournament standings and Matchups. Fox seems too high for my tastes, espiacially when he's over characters like Pikachu and Olimar. Ness higher than Lucas? Really? Ness is hurt much more by those deathgrabs, not to mention his tournament standing so far has been relatively crappy compard to Lucas who recent went on a streak of good to great placings. Zelda and Pit that low is an atrocity, how in the heck did you guys even come to this conclusion? STH has probably already addressed Zelda, and Pit is excellent in Both Matchups and has tournament results to back it up, placing better that you guys placed above her like Lucas, Peach, ZSS, Ness, Mario, and Fox. HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU COME TO THE CONCLUSION LUCARIO WAS LOW? That just plain rediculous. Not only is he one of the more balanced and fudamentally sound characters in the game and has a very lethal gimmick in his Aura, He has great tournament placings, and has great matchups. That is just sickening how someone would place him that low. While I hate him with a burning passion, Ike should be above Ganon, he's still somehow managing to place higher than basicially most who are in the Low Tier with him. Peach also should be in Low, probably in the spot Lucario is in. I don't think Sonic is THAT bad, though I agree he shouldn't be that much higher. Jiggs should probably drop below Samus, she really is that bad.

So this was made primarily by Cali smashers eh? I'm not surprised then that certain characters are where they are, Different regions have different character percepotion
yeah, wario above metaknight. the matchup list got it wrong, wario has two bad matchups total, marth and dedede. metaknight is either 5/5 or 6/4 in favor of metaknight, but i think its even because most of the time the warios out here in california beat the metaknights. its gotten to the point where about half of the snake mains are switching to wario, when you know all his tricks he's really good. when the list was made, wario had the second most wins behind snake, now he's tied for 3rd, but considering he is not (was not for us) very popular, that amount of wins is very impressive. a few warios have also won big tournaments, futile won a 179 man tournament at ucla, the ffa biweeklies only get about 70 people, but all the best usually show up to those, and futile and plan 9 take top spots all the time. wario is freaking good. he's like playing melee jiggs, except he can grab in the air, live to 120+, and he can't be punished on rest (1:00 waft kills quicker than the full charge)

having lucario at low is just idiotic though. 6 wins, and is only recently beginning to get popularity, hes only going to go higher. and sonic didnt get 3 wins out of pure randomness, they were big torneys he won, not some random weeklies. and as much as i hate to say it, ike really isnt THAT bad.

i cant see what diddy, ness, luigi, peach, ZSS and mario have done to be deserving of mid-tier. in fact the only thing on that list that seems to have any consistency with real results outside the top 8-10 is fox. why people chuck him low-mid or lower is beyond me.
the lists here put put dk in the mid to low mid range (most anyway), dk has the 8th highest tournament placings, good matchups vs the top two (and several of the high tiers that the matchup chart doesn't want to admit). and is far less popular than lucario. sonic got one win within two weeks of brawls launch, and i have yet to here of a sonic something larger than a 64 man. and ike is THAT bad, most people wanted to place him in bottom, he has very exploitable weakness's and bad matchups (and don't bring up the matchup chart, that things ********, according to it, game and watch and marth are god, seriously, it gives them better matchups than snake and metaknight. and it puts ike as an advantage against wario, which isnt even close). peach, luigi, ness, and mario all do fairly well out here, especially because mario and luigi actually combo (real ones, not brawl 'combos') and ZSS has consistently placed high in new york according to the lone newyorker in the discussion.

EDIT: @ recognize you got it backwards, wario is not a good character because he is doing so well in tournaments, he's doing so well in tournaments because he is such a good character, he has a great approach and no real weaknesses, to top that off, he can kill at 30-40% every minute or so

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Sorry if I was so specific but I felt like giving a decent response. DK's newest rise in the tiers is mainly because of his advantageous against MK and Snake so I'd say it's legitimate to spend one post talking about it here.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Top-Snake, MK,
High-DDD, Marth, G&W, Falco, ROB, TL, Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Wario, IC
Mid-Lucario, Pit, Wolf, Olimar, Fox, Zelda, Kirby, DK, Zamus, Squirtle
Below Average-Luigi, Ike, Sheik, Ness, Bowser, Lucas,
Low-Charizard, Ivysaur, Sonic, Mario, Link, Samus
Bottom-Peach, Yoshi, Jiggs, Ganon, CF

-It's more based than before on tournament placings.

BS-(lol) it's alright, just be sure to stay on topic.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
To Recognize: If Wario is indeed winning tournaments this is a heavy indication that yes he is good character.

By the way there was no order within the tiers. So I didn't place Zelda above toon link I placed them equally. I think that ordering within Tiers is overly complex and causes people to argue about one or two spots mixing the point that tiers are supposed to be levels.

Toon Link also hasn't been performing well in tournaments. Not well enough to justify putting him in the tier above. He's good but not as good as G&W, Dedede, Marth, etc.

And the reward for Ice Climbers grabbing you is good enough to make up for their predicatabity. Besides a good Ice Climbers player won't just try to grab but will do so at appropriate times.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Top-Snake, MK,
High-DDD, Marth, G&W, Falco, ROB, TL, Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Wario, IC
Mid-Lucario, Pit, Wolf, Olimar, Fox, Zelda, Kirby, DK, Zamus, Squirtle
Below Average-Luigi, Ike, Sheik, Ness, Bowser, Lucas,
Low-Charizard, Ivysaur, Sonic, Mario, Link, Samus
Bottom-Peach, Yoshi, Jiggs, Ganon, CF

-It's more based than before on tournament placings.

BS-(lol) it's alright, just be sure to stay on topic.
TL and diddy are 18th and 25th respectively in tournament placings, dk and wolf are 8th and 9th, they are both above mid tier, dk has won over twice as many tournaments as diddy and toon link combined

the list was made two weeks ago when he had far less wins

yeah, wario above metaknight. the matchup list got it wrong, wario has two bad matchups total, marth and dedede. metaknight is either 5/5 or 6/4 in favor of metaknight, but i think its even because most of the time the warios out here in california beat the metaknights. its gotten to the point where about half of the snake mains are switching to wario, when you know all his tricks he's really good. when the list was made, wario had the second most wins behind snake, now he's tied for 3rd, but considering he is not (was not for us) very popular, that amount of wins is very impressive. a few warios have also won big tournaments, futile won a 179 man tournament at ucla, the ffa biweeklies only get about 70 people, but all the best usually show up to those, and futile and plan 9 take top spots all the time. wario is freaking good. he's like playing melee jiggs, except he can grab in the air, live to 120+, and he can't be punished on rest (1:00 waft kills quicker than the full charge)

the lists here put put dk in the mid to low mid range (most anyway), dk has the 8th highest tournament placings, good matchups vs the top two (and several of the high tiers that the matchup chart doesn't want to admit). and is far less popular than lucario. sonic got one win within two weeks of brawls launch, and i have yet to here of a sonic something larger than a 64 man. and ike is THAT bad, most people wanted to place him in bottom, he has very exploitable weakness's and bad matchups (and don't bring up the matchup chart, that things ********, according to it, game and watch and marth are god, seriously, it gives them better matchups than snake and metaknight. and it puts ike as an advantage against wario, which isnt even close). peach, luigi, ness, and mario all do fairly well out here, especially because mario and luigi actually combo (real ones, not brawl 'combos') and ZSS has consistently placed high in new york according to the lone newyorker in the discussion.

EDIT: @ recognize you got it backwards, wario is not a good character because he is doing so well in tournaments, he's doing so well in tournaments because he is such a good character, he has a great approach and no real weaknesses, to top that off, he can kill at 30-40% every minute or so

Once again, you seem to only be crediting one side of the Smash community, Remember how Emblem Lord said the New England region thought Marth sucked until he made some of those players how good he really is? Just because California has the mentality that Wario>MK does not make it true, because that is only taking account of that one part of the comunnity. While Wins can not be disputed, one thing that can be pointed out is that if one character has an obscenely larger amount of wins than overall top 4/8 placings, it usually slightly more of a testament to the person or people using him than the characters. Characters like Marth, who place much more consistently but do not actually win all that often, make better cases because usually they are placing better overall in all regions, not just one where said person is dominating. And MK really only has 2 or 3 disadvantage too, DK is one, Snake really is debateable whether it's an even matchup or an advantage in Snake's favor, and possibly Pikachu. If you really think Wario's matchups are that great, I suggest you bring your argument to the Matchups topic and get it fixed on the chart.

In terms of tournaments, Meta has been winning AND Placing High very consistently, probably the most consistent out of all characters. Wario has been winning, but he hasn't placed Nearly as consistently in Top 4/8 placings. Meta has him beat there, and you can't just take the view from one smash region because that would create bias like Emblem Lord stated before.

Meta's matchups are better and AT THE VERY MOST Equal with Wario if what your saying is really true.

Not to mention, you completely ignored all the other characters that I mentioned in the arguement I brought up against the list.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
O and btw, why Diddy so high (though I do love the little guy)? His tournament outings are terrible atm
My list isn't totally based off tourney wins. Diddy has too much potential to be where he is in tournaments. It's a shame. I rank my tiers on who's the best, not best in tourneys only.

TL and diddy are 18th and 25th respectively in tournament placings, dk and wolf are 8th and 9th, they are both above mid tier, dk has won over twice as many tournaments as diddy and toon link combined
Having said what I said above, DK is on par with both MK and Snake when fighting them, so he can win against them in the finals of tourneys. So what? You forgot to mention how many Diddy and TL players main them and are good with them, and how many top8s and top4 each character has. It's not overwhelming. As for Wolf, he's crap. Everyone knows it. His moves are so telegraphed, it's kind of lame. After a lot of practice, he becomes much, much easier to fight. He has too many bad matchups too. IvanEva's chart doesn't reflect how bad he is, but it's true. He was overrated in the beginning when this game came out.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Diddy is a vastly underplayed character, which effects his chances of placing well at tournaments. This said, yes its true, tournament evidence does not back up that Diddy is a good character, hopefully when I go to my next tournament I will prove otherwise, but it is difficult breaking into the top 4 in MD/VA, or even top 8.

Ranking strictly on tournament results isn't the best thing to do, keep in mind a great player will keep winning with their best character, simply inflating and reinforcing that characters spot. A lot more can be said if we looked at not only which character was placing, but how many different people were finding success with that character. Think about Wario and futile and how much more Wario's rankings will be inflated as he continues to win tournament after tournament. Though he has clearly proven that Wario can stand with the best and that Snake/MK are not unstoppable.

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
I think characters having to dash around a lot should slightly affect tier position due to chance of tripping (if there is any character like that.)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
My list isn't totally based off tourney wins. Diddy has too much potential to be where he is in tournaments. It's a shame. I rank my tiers on who's the best, not best in tourneys only.
really, diddy sounds good on paper, but if the opponent knows diddys tricks, he isn't that good, once people started dash attacking and airdodging to pick up bananas diddys started losing a lot.

Having said what I said above, DK is on par with both MK and Snake when fighting them, so he can win against them in the finals of tourneys. So what?
so a lot of things, he doesn't just do well vs snake and metaknight, he has even or advantageous matchups with most of the cast, and its reflected in his tournament placings, and should be reflected in the tiers

You forgot to mention how many Diddy and TL players main them and are good with them, and how many top8s and top4 each character has. It's not overwhelming.
ill cover it more at the bottom of this post, but to me, having a lot of good diddy and toon link players (there are/were plenty compared to characters like dk and wario, who have very few mains) with very few wins means that character is bad and just popular. if the character cannot win, even when overplayed, then it is overrated in my book. toon link and diddy are somewhat popular, which is why they place high, but they aren't good enough (currentlly at least) to win many tournaments.

also note, ankokus list is on a point based system, when you factor in top 8 and top 4, dk has 86 points, wolf has 74.5, diddy and toon link combined have 63.5, you might have a small argument for toon link, who has 42 points on the list, but diddy is just not good (21.5 points)

As for Wolf, he's crap. Everyone knows it. His moves are so telegraphed, it's kind of lame. After a lot of practice, he becomes much, much easier to fight. He has too many bad matchups too. IvanEva's chart doesn't reflect how bad he is, but it's true. He was overrated in the beginning when this game came out.
after playing the germ, and watching lucky beat plan 9 with wolf, i can tell you he is not overrated. his playstyle that was used at or around launch was overrated, but currently, the character itself is very good. his projectile is still good, he still has good range, his bairs good, and most importantly, he's winning and placing well

Once again, you seem to only be crediting one side of the Smash community, Remember how Emblem Lord said the New England region thought Marth sucked until he made some of those players how good he really is? Just because California has the mentality that Wario>MK does not make it true, because that is only taking account of that one part of the comunnity. While Wins can not be disputed, one thing that can be pointed out is that if one character has an obscenely larger amount of wins than overall top 4/8 placings, it usually slightly more of a testament to the person or people using him than the characters. Characters like Marth, who place much more consistently but do not actually win all that often, make better cases because usually they are placing better overall in all regions, not just one where said person is dominating. And MK really only has 2 or 3 disadvantage too, DK is one, Snake really is debateable whether it's an even matchup or an advantage in Snake's favor, and possibly Pikachu. If you really think Wario's matchups are that great, I suggest you bring your argument to the Matchups topic and get it fixed on the chart.

In terms of tournaments, Meta has been winning AND Placing High very consistently, probably the most consistent out of all characters. Wario has been winning, but he hasn't placed Nearly as consistently in Top 4/8 placings. Meta has him beat there, and you can't just take the view from one smash region because that would create bias like Emblem Lord stated before.

Meta's matchups are better and AT THE VERY MOST Equal with Wario if what your saying is really true.

Not to mention, you completely ignored all the other characters that I mentioned in the arguement I brought up against the list.
most of the other characters would require a long argument that i don't wanna go through again. and metaknight has been winning an placing high because he, along with snake, are two of the most played characters, while there are very few warios. the fact that there are only a few, yet those few are winning tells me wario is a very good character. and it's not just one guy winning a lot as wario. futiles insane, but plan 9, deff and wario have all been doing very well with wario.

if we can't credit tournament wins towards high tier placement, then what can we credit? tournaments usually reflect correct character matchups, and the results of the tournaments should be reflected in the tiers

Diddy is a vastly underplayed character, which effects his chances of placing well at tournaments. This said, yes its true, tournament evidence does not back up that Diddy is a good character, hopefully when I go to my next tournament I will prove otherwise, but it is difficult breaking into the top 4 in MD/VA, or even top 8.

Ranking strictly on tournament results isn't the best thing to do, keep in mind a great player will keep winning with their best character, simply inflating and reinforcing that characters spot. A lot more can be said if we looked at not only which character was placing, but how many different people were finding success with that character. Think about Wario and futile and how much more Wario's rankings will be inflated as he continues to win tournament after tournament. Though he has clearly proven that Wario can stand with the best and that Snake/MK are not unstoppable.
This is one of the things I'm talking about about how why we cannot base it completely on tournament results. Great players like Azen could make any character look good, we have to really not only just look a the Winning placers, but exactly how many consistently find success with said characters. This is why I find characters that place consisntently in the Top 4/8 overall have a more solid claim than characters like Wario who are winning a lot but don't nearly have the same amount of consistent Top 4/8 placings, because it usually means it's more than one people contributing.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I really think that someone should keep track of how many of each character enter a tournament, THEN show the top 8 finishers. After that, they find a percentage of how often each character will make it to the top 8. That way, there would be no writing off tourney results as "based off popularity".

really, diddy sounds good on paper, but if the opponent knows diddys tricks, he isn't that good, once people started dash attacking and airdodging to pick up bananas diddys started losing a lot.

so a lot of things, he doesn't just do well vs snake and metaknight, he has even or advantageous matchups with most of the cast, and its reflected in his tournament placings, and should be reflected in the tiers

ill cover it more at the bottom of this post, but to me, having a lot of good diddy and toon link players (there are/were plenty compared to characters like dk and wario, who have very few mains) with very few wins means that character is bad and just popular. if the character cannot win, even when overplayed, then it is overrated in my book. toon link and diddy are somewhat popular, which is why they place high, but they aren't good enough (currentlly at least) to win many tournaments.

also note, ankokus list is on a point based system, when you factor in top 8 and top 4, dk has 86 points, wolf has 74.5, diddy and toon link combined have 63.5, you might have a small argument for toon link, who has 42 points on the list, but diddy is just not good (21.5 points)

after playing the germ, and watching lucky beat plan 9 with wolf, i can tell you he is not overrated. his playstyle that was used at or around launch was overrated, but currently, the character itself is very good. his projectile is still good, he still has good range, his bairs good, and most importantly, he's winning and placing well

most of the other characters would require a long argument that i don't wanna go through again. and metaknight has been winning an placing high because he, along with snake, are two of the most played characters, while there are very few warios. the fact that there are only a few, yet those few are winning tells me wario is a very good character. and it's not just one guy winning a lot as wario. futiles insane, but plan 9, deff and wario have all been doing very well with wario.
if we can't credit tournament wins towards high tier placement, then what can we credit? tournaments usually reflect correct character matchups, and the results of the tournaments should be reflected in the tiers
Well basicially AlphaZealot's post explained what I would say to counter this. You canot honestly admit that the majority of Wario's wins come from Futile.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
I've just noticed something: Ness is a deadly edgegaurd because of PK flash. If you space yourself a good distance from teh edge, there's almost nothing a luanched opponent can do.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
PK Flash also sends the opponent up if it doesn't KO them, so that actually help in most cases. PK Thunder is a better option.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I made more revisions to my three tier list to add more to the upper tier
Please comment on the list or character placings

Top(Wins most tourneys and has great match-ups)
Snake
MK

High(The group that is slightly below the "Snake and MK standard")
G&W
DDD
Marth
ROB
Falco

Upper(Tournament playable characters who show they are slightly better than the majority of the characters in brawl)
Wario
Pikachu
Wolf
DK
Lucario
Pit
Olimar
TL
Fox
Zelda
IC's
Others could be added to the upper tier (i.e. kirby)but it is debateable if they should be pushed back to mid beacuse of lack in tournament wins and match-ups,which are very slightly above par

(I used knowledgeable people's tier lists(i.e. ch0zen one), emblem lord's suggestions,ankoku's touranement rankings, and the matchup charts on smash boards to form the list, please reply if you like or not and suggest revision of placements)

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
@ hizzlum: I don't really think Fox is above average. He shouldn't be in upper tier.
Your right, his match-ups are not good enough and its just his tournament wins,which are par, that keeps him out of the upper, thanks for the comment, beacuse now my vision of the upper tier is less vaugue than it used to be. Now here is my newest edit of my three tiers list.

Ok so I made more revisions to my three tier list to add more to the upper tier

Snake
MK

G&W
DDD
Marth
ROB
Falco

Upper(Tournament playable characters who show they are slightly better than the majority of the characters in brawl)
Wario
Pikachu
Wolf
DK
Lucario
Pit
Olimar
TL
Zelda
IC's

Others could be added to the upper tier (i.e. kirby,fox)but it is debateable if they should be pushed back to mid beacuse of lack in tournament wins and match-ups,which are very slightly above par

(I used knowledgeable people's tier lists(i.e. ch0zen one), emblem lord's suggestions,ankoku's touranement rankings, and the matchup charts on smash boards to form the list, please reply if you like or not and suggest revision of placements)

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I'd have thought Diddy would be a contendor for upper too. He's not high tier atm (this is gonna change though, trust me) but he definatly sets himself apart from middle. Also Bump Tink, he is vastly underrated atm, people act as if he has stayed the same since launch, he has infact got a variety of useful ATs now along with his good projectile game, good ground game and great air game.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
I'd have thought Diddy would be a contendor for upper too. He's not high tier atm (this is gonna change though, trust me) but he definatly sets himself apart from middle. Also Bump Tink, he is vastly underrated atm, people act as if he has stayed the same since launch, he has infact got a variety of useful ATs now along with his good projectile game, good ground game and great air game.
The problem with TL is his match-ups are good but he doesent win that much in tournaments but I will raise him slightly, and as for Diddy I will put him as a debateable character in the top of the middle tier beacue his match-ups and tourneys wins are not that much above most characters.

Snake
MK

G&W
DDD
Marth
ROB
Falco

Wario
Pikachu
Wolf
DK
Lucario
TL
Pit
IC's

Others could be added to the upper tier (i.e olimar, zelda, kirby,Diddy Kong,mario)but it is debateable if they should be pushed back to mid beacuse of lack in tournament wins and match-ups,which are very slightly above par

???????

Smash Journeyman
I can see Mario in upper as well but he's severely underrated and, like Diddy, doesn't really have the tourney placings.

*Mario's match-ups are currently being revised and reorganized at this time*

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's pretty good, but I'd say Kirby is the one that sticks out the most. He's way too good to be that far down. His only bad matchups are in high-mid and high.(excluding ness. Ike shouldn't have the advantage) He should be just above Olimar and below Pit IMO.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Corner-Trap, Mario is at least in mid.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
The problem with TL is his match-ups are good but he doesent win that much in tournaments but I will raise him slightly, and as for Diddy I will put him as a debateable character in the top of the middle tier beacue his match-ups and tourneys wins are not that much above most characters.

Snake
MK

G&W
DDD
Marth
ROB
Falco

Wario
Pikachu
Wolf
DK
Lucario
TL
Pit
IC's

Others could be added to the upper tier (i.e olimar, zelda, kirby,Diddy Kong,mario)but it is debateable if they should be pushed back to mid beacuse of lack in tournament wins and match-ups,which are very slightly above par

Still don't understand why Kirby still isn't anywhere on this list or other people's tier list. Kirby places better than Toon Link, Zelda, and Ice Climbers. I pretty much believe most people may have settled on the fact that the first two are overrated. No reason Kirby shouldn't be here somewhere. I would say below Luke.

Edit:

I've said this before, but his match-ups aren't that bad in the upper tier. This is form a Kirby main, not a match-up thread. The only tough matches up there are GaW, Marth, Meta, and Pika (IC are tough, but clearly they currently don't match the upper tiers). All of the others are neutral or advantageous (though they are mostly neutral).

Edit 2:
I also need proof that Zelda should be Upper tier. I've only fought 2 competitive Zelda players and I 2 stocked them consistently despite Zelda being at an advantage (she's neutral IMO).

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
That's pretty good, but I'd say Kirby is the one that sticks out the most. He's way too good to be that far down. His only bad matchups are in high-mid and high.(excluding ness. Ike shouldn't have the advantage) He should be just above Olimar and below Pit IMO.
So you're telling me that Kirby has bad match-ups against several popular tournament characters yet deserves to be moved up? What are his good match-ups? What puts him above the other characters in mid tier?

Corner-Trap, Mario is at least in mid.

SRK generally thinks of Mario as a low tier character, and neither his match-ups or tournament results can be used to disprove it.

Olimar is not mid. Zelda also needs to move up.
Olimar and Zelda have some hideously bad match-ups, but they also have some incredibly good match-ups to counter that. Both have their strengths, but they also have easily exploitable flaws such as Olimar's recovery and Zelda's approach. They rightly deserve to be in mid tier and their tournament results don't help to disprove that claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom