• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Yeah I'll be there but that's very unfortunate, Cort :(. I hardly visit these Peach boards or keep up with the scene but I though you were still ******. I hope you can make it cause I haven't seen you since VLS lol

If you don't go, I plan to come back home to NYC for a long while bro and maybe we can get some Peach and sheik dittos just like the old times =D

Cort

Apple Head
Mike G are you going?

and cort okay so your saying if i am well spaced that i can beat anyone... well for one even tho i see this as a almost impossible question to ask how do i a practice spacing and learn how to be perfectly spaced? and another question that i feel stupid asking b/c i feel like it is obvious yet i can't see it is how do i space myself if i am out ranged?

also is their anything i can look at that will tell me all the size of hitboxes and the proirities of all the moves?
Keep playing the game. Eventually you'll learn how important spacing is to the infamous advice/quote "don't get hit". The whole concept of "mindgames" should become fairly clear to you as well when you play really good people and start trying to understand why they're able to beat you really easily.

This game is very obviously not just randomly throwing out moves and tech skill, but more of a battle between space between two characters, reaction time and most importantly, experience. Useful tech skill is just a by product of how much you care about this game/how much you practice/play etc.
Yeah I'll be there but that's very unfortunate, Cort :(. I hardly visit these Peach boards or keep up with the scene but I though you were still ******. I hope you can make it cause I haven't seen you since VLS lol

If you don't go, I plan to come back home to NYC for a long while bro and maybe we can get some Peach and sheik dittos just like the old times =D
I can't wait for this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOa2hidB5iI&feature=related

at 2:35 how did he peach bomber that far?

and excited to see you coming mike G your one of of my peach hero's laugh
There is nothing different about that bomber than any other bomber.

Composeur

Smash Ace
Dear Mister Cort,

The site freezes whenever I try to search for a thread that could answer this, so I apologize if this question is redundant. Feel free to just post a link if it's clearer than writing a new post.

My specific question is about jump-cancelled grabs. According to the advanced tech video I watched, they have superior speed and/or range than regular dash-grabs, but watching Armada's Genesis matches it looks like he's just dash-grabbing (and I assume he's the one we should strive hardest to emulate, at this point). Are JCGs really any better than DGs, both specifically for Peach and generally for all non-grapplehook characters, or am I wasting my time trying to incorporate them into my playing? Are they necessary for chaingrabbing good players? Armada did quite a few WDs into grabs vs. m2k. Are they faster than either of the first two?

Also, I'm wondering if a JCed Usmash is faster than a dash-cancelled one.

My other question is about DI. I'm so sorry to broach the topic when so much has already been said on it, but reading the big post you linked to earlier in this thread didn't totally resolve my ambiguity on what I should actually be doing in various situations. Please point out anything I say here that's inaccurate.

I get that there are three types of DI:

1. ASDI moves your character slightly during the frames of hitstun and is best(?) performed by holding the C-stick in the direction you want to move your character during those frames. Obviously the control stick is necessary for crouch-cancelling, though. Which direction is most desirable in other situations, however, is one thing I'm not sure about. For instance, Zelda's Fsmash or Usmash, or Sheik's continual jabbing.

2. SDI moves your character noticeably but must(?) be performed by smashing the control stick in the desired direction (again, a decision that I'm not informed enough to make) during the extremely tiny window between the frames of hitstun and the actual frames when your character starts flying along its new trajectory. This positional movement ideally changes your character's placement within the attack's hitbox such that her trajectory is deliberately and favorably altered, most notably sending her the "wrong" way (e.g. turning a Fair into a reverse Fair) or moving her out of the hitbox of successive hits (e.g. the all-important evasion of the strong hit from fox's Uair).

3. Regular DI, executed during any airborne movement, ideally as early in the flight as possible for maximum effect, using either the C-stick or the control stick, can alter your character's trajectory somewhat by exerting a maximum 90-degree pull against her current course (e.g. pushing and holding the stick to the left or right immediately after being Usmashed by Fox to curb the upward movement).

I hope I have those right. Now, my question is about the most effective way of utilizing these three techniques. I realize that the actual way you apply them is situational, but is it possible you could give a couple of examples of which way you would push which stick and when you would do it? As an example, maybe against CF's knee, Marth's Fsmash, or Sheik's Dsmash.

What particularly confuses me is how to combine them. You've said that if both sticks are being pressed the C-stick will override the control stick. How would you combine ASDI and SDI, then? Would you need to hold the C-stick in a direction and then release it just before you smash the control stick in (presumably) the same direction? Or is ASDI only worth it when there are lots of little hits involved, like Samus's Usmash?

One final related question: what's the best way to react to a hit that sends you flailing? I read somewhere, perhaps in this thread, that the quickest way to regain control is to basically flip the control stick back and forth as though dash-dancing. That means that the C-stick is necessary in order to DI while wiggling out; when you say that the C-stick supersedes the control stick, you mean just for DI, I take it?

All right, I guess that's enough. Thank you very much :)

Cort

Apple Head
Dear Mister Cort,

The site freezes whenever I try to search for a thread that could answer this, so I apologize if this question is redundant. Feel free to just post a link if it's clearer than writing a new post.

My specific question is about jump-cancelled grabs. According to the advanced tech video I watched, they have superior speed and/or range than regular dash-grabs, but watching Armada's Genesis matches it looks like he's just dash-grabbing (and I assume he's the one we should strive hardest to emulate, at this point). Are JCGs really any better than DGs, both specifically for Peach and generally for all non-grapplehook characters, or am I wasting my time trying to incorporate them into my playing? Are they necessary for chaingrabbing good players? Armada did quite a few WDs into grabs vs. m2k. Are they faster than either of the first two?
Peach/grapplers (and maybe another character or two) go against this rule of thumb. Peach's dash grab actually has more range than her JC grab (and obviously more lag if you whiff it) but ends up being very useful while chain grabbing Fox/Falco/Falcon/etc. On top of having more range, it obviously also comes out faster since you're not wasting frames JCing it with your 'kneebend' animation.

Also, I'm wondering if a JCed Usmash is faster than a dash-cancelled one.
JCd usmash is probably only a few frames faster than a dash cancelled one because I believe most characters take a few frames to actually start crouching after a dash whereas you can usmash straight out of the first to second frame of your kneebend animation during a short hop. This actually has a great affect on Fox's gameplay because getting those ridiculously fast and random usmashes can lead to some easy kills whereas a player might be able to shield it otherwise.

My other question is about DI. I'm so sorry to broach the topic when so much has already been said on it, but reading the big post you linked to earlier in this thread didn't totally resolve my ambiguity on what I should actually be doing in various situations. Please point out anything I say here that's inaccurate.

I get that there are three types of DI:

1. ASDI moves your character slightly during the frames of hitstun and is best(?) performed by holding the C-stick in the direction you want to move your character during those frames. Obviously the control stick is necessary for crouch-cancelling, though. Which direction is most desirable in other situations, however, is one thing I'm not sure about. For instance, Zelda's Fsmash or Usmash, or Sheik's continual jabbing.

2. SDI moves your character noticeably but must(?) be performed by smashing the control stick in the desired direction (again, a decision that I'm not informed enough to make) during the extremely tiny window between the frames of hitstun and the actual frames when your character starts flying along its new trajectory. This positional movement ideally changes your character's placement within the attack's hitbox such that her trajectory is deliberately and favorably altered, most notably sending her the "wrong" way (e.g. turning a Fair into a reverse Fair) or moving her out of the hitbox of successive hits (e.g. the all-important evasion of the strong hit from fox's Uair).

3. Regular DI, executed during any airborne movement, ideally as early in the flight as possible for maximum effect, using either the C-stick or the control stick, can alter your character's trajectory somewhat by exerting a maximum 90-degree pull against her current course (e.g. pushing and holding the stick to the left or right immediately after being Usmashed by Fox to curb the upward movement).
These are all correct and I can tell you really understand the differences between the types.

I hope I have those right. Now, my question is about the most effective way of utilizing these three techniques. I realize that the actual way you apply them is situational, but is it possible you could give a couple of examples of which way you would push which stick and when you would do it? As an example, maybe against CF's knee, Marth's Fsmash, or Sheik's Dsmash.
Yes, for the most part (like 90% of the time) you'll just be using conventional DI (where you just predict getting hit by a move and start holding up/tiny bit towards the stage). CF's knee has pretty much a horizontal trajectory and it is most practical to just hold straight up (though you could try smash DIng into him as much as you can and then holding up since it has it's fair share of stun frames, like ZoSo did in my Sacred Combo video). Obviously you don't want to DI too well cause you might end up comboing yourself into more knees (or a Falcon Punch :p). You just have to pay attention to your percentage.

Marth's fsmash has the same trajectory 90% of the moves in the game have, they send you up and away from the stage so again, conventional DI is best. One thing I'd like to add though is surviving this move at very high %s. Often times, newer players will just always DI up and a bit towards the entire length of the flight and die off the top, whereas at many %s you can start to let go of the control stick or even hold back (towards the top left/top right "blast zone corners") to avoid getting killed off the top.

Sheik's dsmash is the same as Marth's, but you will want to pay attention to your % to see if you can CC it and hit her before another leg slaps you in the face. This is rather risky sometimes and it's best to just DI away from her at low %s and try and catch her in the ending lag of the dsmash, instead.

What particularly confuses me is how to combine them. You've said that if both sticks are being pressed the C-stick will override the control stick. How would you combine ASDI and SDI, then? Would you need to hold the C-stick in a direction and then release it just before you smash the control stick in (presumably) the same direction? Or is ASDI only worth it when there are lots of little hits involved, like Samus's Usmash?
ASDI is best used against the moves you mentioned. Fox's drill is a shining example because you can totally screw with their l cancel timing and get free grabs in.

I usually ASDI the drill away or maybe even behind them to mix it up, and then smash DI the shine if they so happen to connect with their l cancel. I rarely if ever combine ASDI with smash DI because ASDI usually get's the job done by itself. Though I guess it would be somewhat better if you were able to smash DI drills more than once since the distance you gain from smash DIing is so much greater than ASDI's, but again this is more of a situational thing and how practical it is to do either. I've tried doing both for the most part, trying to Smash DI multiple times during a drill is pretty ridiculous, but sometimes I cannot get a second one off depending if they fastfell their drill or how late into it I realize I'm being dair'd.

I guess smash DIing more than once would generally be better, ASDI is just much easier imo.

One final related question: what's the best way to react to a hit that sends you flailing? I read somewhere, perhaps in this thread, that the quickest way to regain control is to basically flip the control stick back and forth as though dash-dancing. That means that the C-stick is necessary in order to DI while wiggling out; when you say that the C-stick supersedes the control stick, you mean just for DI, I take it?

All right, I guess that's enough. Thank you very much :)
I always just spammed left/right on the control stick. Honestly I've never bothered trying to wiggle out of 'near lethal' hitstun if you know what I mean since it's rather impractical and probably lowers your chances of actually living.

Is being able to hit no one with 9 multishines "useful" tech skill?

And when are you going to a tournament so I can get a hug? :(
1. Only if your opponent has an epileptic seizure and you win by incidentally sending them to the hospital.

2. I donno D:

Maybe pound but not really probably.

Cia

das kwl

Can I get in on these?

Composeur

Smash Ace
What an amazingly prompt and thorough reply! Thank you so much, Rev. Cort.

Peach/grapplers (and maybe another character or two) go against this rule of thumb. Peach's dash grab actually has more range than her JC grab (and obviously more lag if you whiff it) but ends up being very useful while chain grabbing Fox/Falco/Falcon/etc. On top of having more range, it obviously also comes out faster since you're not wasting frames JCing it with your 'kneebend' animation.
Thank you. This is a PERFECT answer.

Yes, for the most part (like 90% of the time) you'll just be using conventional DI (where you just predict getting hit by a move and start holding up/tiny bit towards the stage). CF's knee has pretty much a horizontal trajectory and it is most practical to just hold straight up (though you could try smash DIng into him as much as you can and then holding up since it has it's fair share of stun frames, like ZoSo did in my Sacred Combo video). Obviously you don't want to DI too well cause you might end up comboing yourself into more knees (or a Falcon Punch :p). You just have to pay attention to your percentage.

Marth's fsmash has the same trajectory 90% of the moves in the game have, they send you up and away from the stage so again, conventional DI is best. One thing I'd like to add though is surviving this move at very high %s. Often times, newer players will just always DI up and a bit towards the entire length of the flight and die off the top, whereas at many %s you can start to let go of the control stick or even hold back (towards the top left/top right "blast zone corners") to avoid getting killed off the top.
Nice sacred combo vid :p

This is all very useful, especially the bit about tempering the upward DI vs. Marth. Now, what I'm curious about is in those 10% of times when it's appropriate to do more than conventional DI, is there some sort of guiding principle you can offer as to when it's appropriate and effective to attempt SDI, and how to do it? For instance, is there ever any point in trying to SDI Fox's Usmash? If you're on the edges of it is it possible to SDI away far enough to avoid the most potent part of the hitbox? Is SDIing toward Marth in his Fsmash more likely to help you avoid getting caught in a tipper?

I always just spammed left/right on the control stick. Honestly I've never bothered trying to wiggle out of 'near lethal' hitstun if you know what I mean since it's rather impractical and probably lowers your chances of actually living.
I didn't do a great job of totally fleshing out my question here. I want to know if it's possible to wiggle out faster by spamming left/right on the control stick if you're DIing at the same time with the C-stick, or if you need to choosen between one or the other. It seems like doing both would be desirable if it were possible when getting comboed at mid to low %s, trying to shake the flail off to attack while still DIing out of combo range as much as possible.

<3 Melee

Cort

Apple Head
This is all very useful, especially the bit about tempering the upward DI vs. Marth. Now, what I'm curious about is in those 10% of times when it's appropriate to do more than conventional DI, is there some sort of guiding principle you can offer as to when it's appropriate and effective to attempt SDI, and how to do it? For instance, is there ever any point in trying to SDI Fox's Usmash? If you're on the edges of it is it possible to SDI away far enough to avoid the most potent part of the hitbox? Is SDIing toward Marth in his Fsmash more likely to help you avoid getting caught in a tipper?
Once you're hit by a hitbox, there's no way to avoid the incoming amount of hitstun/power it is going to put on you. If Marth tippers you, you're getting the knockback of a tipper, no matter what your DI is (unless you're inhuman and smash DI the move away and down against the ledge and tech immediately, lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv2wsMMCrj0

Moves hit boxes come out -> if your "body" is in range of them you're hit -> hitstun happens (you're "frozen" for a small period of time based on what move you were hit by [Samus' fully charged shot has the most hit stun if you want to try and notice it, it's something like 18 frames] this is where you can smash DI and ASDI) -> you are sent flying based on the exact direction you were holding the moment hitstun faded -> you can somewhat control your trajectory after this toward the end of the 'flight' (this is where you would want to hold back or let go of the control stick to avoid dying off the top from certain moves, etc.)

I didn't do a great job of totally fleshing out my question here. I want to know if it's possible to wiggle out faster by spamming left/right on the control stick if you're DIing at the same time with the C-stick, or if you need to choosen between one or the other. It seems like doing both would be desirable if it were possible when getting comboed at mid to low %s, trying to shake the flail off to attack while still DIing out of combo range as much as possible.

<3 Melee
Honestly, I've never tried anything like this. Most of the time, I'm trying to DI away at low %s anyway so I'm not sure when you would REALLY want to recover from the hitstun faster.

Composeur

Smash Ace
Once you're hit by a hitbox, there's no way to avoid the incoming amount of hitstun/power it is going to put on you. If Marth tippers you, you're getting the knockback of a tipper, no matter what your DI is (unless you're inhuman and smash DI the move away and down against the ledge and tech immediately, lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv2wsMMCrj0
Love your vids, lol.
I think I understand this now. I'm sorry I didn't totally understand the concept, but I get now that ASDI/SDI can't directly change the power of a hit/velocity of knockback; they can only mimic that effect if they move your character out of range of subsequent hitboxes altogether. Otherwise, they only alter the character's initial trajectory. Thanks for clarifying!

Honestly, I've never tried anything like this. Most of the time, I'm trying to DI away at low %s anyway so I'm not sure when you would REALLY want to recover from the hitstun faster.
I think I was assuming that in those instances you've talked about "wiggling" out of a flail that you were also somehow using conventional DI at the same time. If it's more of a question about theory than about what's actually going to be useful in gameplay then I won't worry about it.

I have a random question about the parasol: generally speaking, is it a useful combo-breaker? I've seen videos of a few players (I can't remember if you were one of them) using the umbrella occasionally to save their Peaches from imminent KO. The one I remember in particular is forestalling CF's knee at the end of a nasty combo. Does her parasol ever have the unique ability to save Peach in tight spots like these?

Thanks a TON for answering my questions. This forum (largely) doesn't know how lucky it is to have you as a resource.

AXE 09

Smash Master
ok, i didn't know what thread to ask this in, and i didn't wanna create a new thread asking a silly question like this, but....

what do all you peach mains think about the pikachu matchup? of course i'm asking this for obvious reasons lol

but pikachu vs peach, how do you guys feel about it?

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I think it's even. Peach gets the tier list advantage and all the things that come with it, but dsmash doesn't get too many hits on Pika and pika's usmash is the strongest in the game. It's like playing against a ******** fox.

cort probably knows a lot more about the matchup

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I should quote you on that, D'oH, and post it whenever someone asks about <insert low tier> against <insert non-low tier>.

A few exceptions apply but it's pretty much the answer to most awkward character questions.

Cort

Apple Head
You can't really camp Pikachu >_>

His uair out of shield is really really ****ing annoying

and his usmash kills earlier than Fox's does

and he's very hard to edge guard

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
bellow 30%, fox does dash attack, downsmash, fc'd nair out of shield, angle shield back -> shield grab, wich to choose?

Quaz

Smash Master
Yo Cort. What is your opinion on Fox vs Peach on dreamland? I fought a fox there who camped the crap outta me and I couldn't catch him at all =(. Is there ANYWAY for peach to take advantage of fox when he does that or does fox win it there by far? I'm wondering if I should just start banning dreamland against Foxes.

Cort

Apple Head
Fox can camp you on whatever stage he wants if the player is good enough >_>

Dreamland is still the best stage by far because of how long Peach can live vertically.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
yeah I agree with KirbyKaze. Peach gets ***** hard on DL if the Fox camps the top platform. Such a gay match up =/

oh quick question: what's better with Peach? Boost grab or dash grab?

Top Bottom