• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Odd contradictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I recently had an interesting conversation in which I had a thought:

I'm fairly certain that arguments for faith healing and against abortion contradict each other. (I don't mean to stereotype, but I'm almost certain that the majority of faith-healing advocates would be against abortion, given the politics both issues tend to fall into.)

For those who don't know (of which I'm sure there are few, given the media hype), faith-healing is a catch-all term for religious faith as medicine, from anything as minor as praying for the ill to outright refusing medical assistance in favor of faith-based cures for diseases.

The latter end of the spectrum is what's usually contended, and, more to the point, most controversy in the political sense arises from situations wherein a child is ill, and the parents are able to refuse medical treatment on their behalf, effectively killing said child in cases of potentially terminal illnesses. I and many other like-minded individuals would argue this way not only for lack of faith in such treatments, but also because, well, frankly, you just don't see them work that often (Show me the double-blind study with placebo control groups, anyone who disagrees.) I personally am one of many who would like this ability not to be afforded to parents of seriously ill dependent minors.

But my dissenters would assert that this is a violation of their religious freedom. They contend that they are unquestionably afforded the right to practice their religion, even to the extent of, for all medical purposes, killing their own offspring, by way of the establishment clause of the first amendment of the constitution of the United States (or similar international equivalents to said law). They argue that their choices as pertain to the health and lives of their children are no business of the state.

Anyway, your opinion on this issue aside, it's difficult not to see parallels with the Abortion issue if you accept the right-wing position that a fetus should be considered a child and have rights (Not accepting this conclusion is the reason this parallel doesn't really apply to the other sides of the two debates.) It is often asserted that the decision of whether a fetus lives or dies should not be left up to the parent, because said fetus is a human being with rights.

Surely you can see where I'm going with this.

Anyway, this was a lot of typing to start a discussion, but my main point here is the folly of partisan politics. Reading a list of positions in columns of "liberal" and "conservative" or whatever contrasting perspectives you care to apply to the question will inevitably create non-sequitur or, much like the aforementioned case, entirely incompatible.

I guess the question I want to ask with this thread is this: Does anyone else find this annoying? Especially in the United States, where issues are so often simplified to a "left" and "right" position, this sort of grouping is just absurd, and yet it controls the votes of so many in a... well, vaguely democratic republic system, wherein influence plays a very large part.

Can anyone else find blatant contradictions like the above?

Does anyone else think that partisanship is inherently corrupt and absurd?

Does anyone else think that pro-faith healing and anti-abortion are opposed to each other inherently?

Or am I just crazy?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Pro lifers who are for the death penalty

and, depending on your definition of life, pro-choice and anti-capital punishment democrats

Anti-gay republicans who are pro gay prostitutes

Conservatives who preach about how government interferes too much in people's lives, yet attempt to regulate marriage, abortion, Terri Schiavo, etc.

African Americans complaining about inequality while promoting rampant homophobia

Sarah Palin asking the country to respect her daughter's choice to keep her baby while at the same time advocating for the removal of the choice from the rest of America

the list, unfortunately, goes on and on.

snex

Smash Master
liberals believe that stem cell research could potentially lead to the curing of many otherwise incurable diseases, but they want genetically modified foods to be illegal.

pockyD

Smash Legend
In the case of "faith healing", the parents are acting in what they believe is in the child's best interest

In the case of abortion, far more often than not, it's the parent's best interests at stake, with the fate of the child a mere side effect (obviously there are exceptions, but the abortion argument is based on the cases where parents are acting in self-interest)

I think you are simply reading too much into resorting to faith healing as "killing" the child.

On a more general level, of course people don't stick to their principles in every isolated instance. You can't just assume that since someone claims they "like food" that they will like every single type of food imaginable

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
It's easy to argue that abortion is in the best interests of more than the parent.

Both the child and the state are burdened by the child being unwanted. I could bring up Levitz, or any number of examples of people with abandonment or mistreatment by parents at the root of fairly bad psychological issues. While one could certainly argue that being alive and psychologically crippled/a criminal is better than not having been born, it certainly is more logical than "I know the kid died, but my religious beliefs said that this would work better." The fact of the matter is, there are cases wherein medicine will cure a patient, and refusing medicine is tantamount to refusing them the ability (As facilitated by modern science) to continue living.

Anyway, people don't "like" ALL food, they need it. A person can like some foods but not others without contradicting themselves.

Principles that specify are one thing, but surely you don't deny that hypocrisy is nonexistent or inevitable because people are capable of fuzzy logic.

Also: I like snex's contradiction. Unnatural = bad except when it cures diseases?

pockyD

Smash Legend
It's easy to argue that abortion is in the best interests of more than the parent.
No doubt about that... but it's the interests of the parent that make it a legal issue. In almost any abortion debate, the argument is centered around the circumstances of the parent, not those of the child, even though they are obviously affected.

Both the child and the state are burdened by the child being unwanted. I could bring up Levitz, or any number of examples of people with abandonment or mistreatment by parents at the root of fairly bad psychological issues. While one could certainly argue that being alive and psychologically crippled/a criminal is better than not having been born, it certainly is more logical than "I know the kid died, but my religious beliefs said that this would work better."
How is that? If you believe in an all-powerful god, then I can think of nothing more logical than believing that this god is capable of curing any affliction. If you want to argue that believing in such an omnipotent god is illogical, then this is the wrong place for it.

It's fairly standard in American law that being alive is better than being dead, regardless of the circumstances. The worst criminals aren't sentenced to lifetimes of torture; they're sentenced to death. Suicide is illegal. Fact of the matter is, if the fetus was universally considered a living human being to begin with, then be abortion "debate" would be a non-debate. Parents don't look at a 3month old baby, realize they can't care for it, and decide to kill it... well they do, but they aren't legally allowed to do so

The fact of the matter is, there are cases wherein medicine will cure a patient, and refusing medicine is tantamount to refusing them the ability (As facilitated by modern science) to continue living.
Maybe, but "there are cases" isn't enough to be considered universal. If I have a cough, I could go see the doctor, take cough drops, drink hot tea, or do nothing. 99.9% of the time there will be nothing wrong with me if I do nothing.

Anyway, people don't "like" ALL food, they need it. A person can like some foods but not others without contradicting themselves.
I think you misunderstood my analogy, so maybe instead of a person liking food, let's say they like "Chinese food". Is it possible to like Chinese food without liking scorpion on a stick?

Principles that specify are one thing, but surely you don't deny that hypocrisy is nonexistent or inevitable because people are capable of fuzzy logic.
Of course it's probable. But i'm saying that it's not necessarily the case just because something "seems contradictory" to you

arrowhead

Smash Ace
How is that? If you believe in an all-powerful god, then I can think of nothing more logical than believing that this god is capable of curing any affliction. If you want to argue that believing in such an omnipotent god is illogical, then this is the wrong place for it.
and if you believe that a monster will spawn from your uterus if you have a baby you don't want, i can't think of anything more logical than getting that abortion. really, leave religion out of this. there's a reason for "seperation of church and state": religion doesn't make sense

It's fairly standard in American law that being alive is better than being dead, regardless of the circumstances. The worst criminals aren't sentenced to lifetimes of torture; they're sentenced to death. Suicide is illegal.
these examples do not support your claim that the law sees being alive as better than being dead. criminals aren't sentences to a lifetime of torture because it's a waste of resources and society would see it as an ethical problem. suicide isn't illegal here. assisting in suicide is.

Fact of the matter is, if the fetus was universally considered a living human being to begin with, then be abortion "debate" would be a non-debate. Parents don't look at a 3month old baby, realize they can't care for it, and decide to kill it... well they do, but they aren't legally allowed to do so
fact is, most people don't care about a living organism until it's sentient.

pockyD

Smash Legend
and if you believe that a monster will spawn from your uterus if you have a baby you don't want, i can't think of anything more logical than getting that abortion. really, leave religion out of this. there's a reason for "seperation of church and state": religion doesn't make sense
This thread isn't about abortion; it's about contradictions and consistency. His assertion was that religious types hold opposite standards when it comes to abortion as opposed to medical treatment. I don't understand how you can "leave religion out of this" when the whole basis of the argument is whether that perspective is consistent within religion.

If you want to argue about God or abortion, go to some other thread

these examples do not support your claim that the law sees being alive as better than being dead.
I don't see how that is not the case

criminals aren't sentences to a lifetime of torture because it's a waste of resources and society would see it as an ethical problem.
The death penalty itself is a "waste of resources" (following through with the death penalty costs more than life imprisonment), so I'm pretty sure saving money isn't the motivation behind that. Once again, that's not the argument at hand.

suicide isn't illegal here. assisting in suicide is.
Touche. So why IS it illegal for a doctor to take out their patient when they're in a terminal, pain-filled state?

fact is, most people don't care about a living organism until it's sentient.
Okay... tell me then, what is the argument that "most people" against abortion are presenting?

Aesir

Smash Master
liberals believe that stem cell research could potentially lead to the curing of many otherwise incurable diseases, but they want genetically modified foods to be illegal.
Well considering "genetically altered" anything tends to have a bad omen attached to it. Stem cells have been proven to be beneficial. The reasoning behind genetically altered food is it could pose hazardous to your health.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
This thread isn't about abortion; it's about contradictions and consistency. His assertion was that religious types hold opposite standards when it comes to abortion as opposed to medical treatment. I don't understand how you can "leave religion out of this" when the whole basis of the argument is whether that perspective is consistent within religion.

If you want to argue about God or abortion, go to some other thread
faith healing has never been shown to work. if the parents' child dies from faith healing, they are the ones responsible for the death because they didn't give the child the medical care he needed.

The death penalty itself is a "waste of resources" (following through with the death penalty costs more than life imprisonment), so I'm pretty sure saving money isn't the motivation behind that. Once again, that's not the argument at hand.
lifetime torturing will cost more than buying monopolized chemicals. and as i've already said, there will be an ethical issue around it. discussing this matters because you're using it to support one of your arguments.

anyways, the law doesn't make opinionated claims. nothing in our legislation says "the death penalty is worse than a life-sentence". it's the jury that decides which one they think is worse and then sentences the criminal the the appropriate punishment.

Touche. So why IS it illegal for a doctor to take out their patient when they're in a terminal, pain-filled state?
probably because the right would be abused. i don't know.

it's legal for the parents of a child to discontinue life support for the child in some circumstances. it's not illegal for hospitals to refuse service to the dying because they have no money. the citizens' lives are not always the top priority in this government.

Okay... tell me then, what is the argument that "most people" against abortion are presenting?
if you want to argue about abortion, go to some other thread :p

pockyD

Smash Legend
faith healing has never been shown to work. if the parents' child dies from faith healing, they are the ones responsible for the death because they didn't give the child the medical care he needed.
And abortions have never been shown to be "right". The perspective is consistent

lifetime torturing will cost more than buying monopolized chemicals. and as i've already said, there will be an ethical issue around it. discussing this matters because you're using it to support one of your arguments.
Some would consider something as simple as eternal solitary confinement torturous.

But torture aside, death penalty is more costly than plain old life sentence. State's not saving money by knocking them out

anyways, the law doesn't make opinionated claims. nothing in our legislation says "the death penalty is worse than a life-sentence". it's the jury that decides which one they think is worse and then sentences the criminal the the appropriate punishment.
What? Do you really believe this?

There's a reason that for some crimes, the death penalty is allowed while it's not for other crimes. There is no crime where the death penalty is a possibility (and not a certainty), but prison time is not.

it's not illegal for hospitals to refuse service to the dying because they have no money.
This is simply not true. It's definitely illegal for the hospital to refuse treatment to someone whose life is in immediate peril

if you want to argue about abortion, go to some other thread :p
I'm arguing that most people that are against abortion are against it on the premise that it is taking a human life. I'm not arguing whether or not that premise itself is correct.

You disagreed with this concept, so I am asking you what alternate theory people are using to combat the legality of abortion.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I leave for one day, and what a mess! :laugh:
The death penalty itself is a "waste of resources" (following through with the death penalty costs more than life imprisonment),
Um, true, but only because of the nigh-infinite appeals granted to the accused.
so I'm pretty sure saving money isn't the motivation behind that. Once again, that's not the argument at hand.
Actually, it's in our constitution. No cruel and unusual punishment. I think torture qualifies. So yeah, it's an ethical issue, not a "Alive is better than dead" judgement.

It isn't in Oregon. :)

And abortions have never been shown to be "right". The perspective is consistent
Uh, what the hell is that supposed to mean? Whether something cures a patient of a disease is measurable by scientific study. Whether something is "right" is a completely subjective issue and can't be resolved or "shown" or "proven" in any real sense.

Some would consider something as simple as eternal solitary confinement torturous.
Yeah, but that's not the point. Legal consequences serve three purposes, none of them are to punish the evil wrongdoer for their sinful ways. They're either deterrents, ways to keep criminals from harming more people (The death penalty and imprisonment could both be considered both), or to create revenue for the state (In cases of fines, although these also serve as deterrents.)

I'm arguing that most people that are against abortion are against it on the premise that it is taking a human life. I'm not arguing whether or not that premise itself is correct.
Right, but that very premise is the reason it contradicts belief in allowing parents to choose faith healing over, you know, real medicine. You don't have to not believe in god to see that it simply doesn't work, so yes, it is effectively killing the child to refuse medicine in favor of absurd beliefs.

You disagreed with this concept, so I am asking you what alternate theory people are using to combat the legality of abortion.
Um, we kill bugs all the time without even realizing it? What he's saying is that the law shouldn't consider a fetus a person. Sure, it might be alive, but so's a tapeworm.

snex

Smash Master
Well considering "genetically altered" anything tends to have a bad omen attached to it. Stem cells have been proven to be beneficial. The reasoning behind genetically altered food is it could pose hazardous to your health.
uh hello? stem cells have to be genetically altered to do their thing.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
it's been shown to have beneficial effects on society. also, it has never been shown to be "wrong" so it should be allowed.

What? Do you really believe this?

There's a reason that for some crimes, the death penalty is allowed while it's not for other crimes. There is no crime where the death penalty is a possibility (and not a certainty), but prison time is not.
where in the law does it say worser crimes can have death as punishment while the more moderate ones can't?

This is simply not true. It's definitely illegal for the hospital to refuse treatment to someone whose life is in immediate peril
yeah, you're right. but privately owned hospitals can.

where did i disagree with this?

Aesir

Smash Master
uh hello? stem cells have to be genetically altered to do their thing.
I never said it was.

I said they've been proven to be beneficial, that doesn't imply they're not genetically altered.

However genetically altered food has often been under criticism because of the health, and environmental risks involved.

snex

Smash Master
However genetically altered food has often been under criticism because of the health, and environmental risks involved.
criticism by who? oh right, the same kooks that want to genetically modify stem cells because theyll be helpful.

call me when some scientists weigh in.

oh right, they did. they said that genetically modified foods are perfectly safe.

Aesir

Smash Master
criticism by who? oh right, the same kooks that want to genetically modify stem cells because theyll be helpful.

call me when some scientists weigh in.

oh right, they did. they said that genetically modified foods are perfectly safe.
Why don't you post evidence rather then try to patronize me.

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/geneticall7.cfm

CFS says otherwise.

snex

Smash Master
Why don't you post evidence rather then try to patronize me.

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/geneticall7.cfm

CFS says otherwise.
and who the hell are they? theyre not the FDA, and theyre not the scientists that examine the stuff. you are sounding exactly like one of the kooks that my original post talks about. genetically modified foods are perfectly safe, and can save more lives than stem cells can.

Aesir

Smash Master
and who the hell are they? theyre not the FDA, and theyre not the scientists that examine the stuff. you are sounding exactly like one of the kooks that my original post talks about. genetically modified foods are perfectly safe, and can save more lives than stem cells can.
Personal attacks now? okay.

Again wheres the evidence, give me scientific studies that show they're safe, throwing around "FDA" isn't evidence.

snex

Smash Master
Personal attacks now? okay.

Again wheres the evidence, give me scientific studies that show they're safe, throwing around "FDA" isn't evidence.
i dont need to give you evidence as this thread is not about the safety of genetically modified foods, but about contradictions that people hold. people think that genetic modification is ok if we do it to stem cells which we will then use as medical treatment, but they think that genetic modification is bad if we do it to food. these two beliefs are inconsistent.

if you want evidence, go read the primary scientific literature where its published - you know, the same place they publish studies about stem cells.

Aesir

Smash Master
i dont need to give you evidence as this thread is not about the safety of genetically modified foods, but about contradictions that people hold. people think that genetic modification is ok if we do it to stem cells which we will then use as medical treatment, but they think that genetic modification is bad if we do it to food. these two beliefs are inconsistent.
Right well if you're going to claim I'm a "Kook" then you should offer evidence and explain rather then what you've been doing.

Anyone can make claims and call the other side a "Kook" without evidence. It's clearly not a contradiction, it would be a contradiction if they've been proven to be safe like Stem Cells have.

if you want evidence, go read the primary scientific literature where its published - you know, the same place they publish studies about stem cells.
It's not my job to check your facts.

snex

Smash Master
Right well if you're going to claim I'm a "Kook" then you should offer evidence and explain rather then what you've been doing.

Anyone can make claims and call the other side a "Kook" without evidence. It's clearly not a contradiction, it would be a contradiction if they've been proven to be safe like Stem Cells have.
stem cells havent been proven safe. stem cells arent even in use yet. genetically modified foods are in use.

It's not my job to check your facts.
its the job of the scientists who performed the studies. and they did their job. and you are too lazy to read up. not my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom