• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Oct 4-5, 2014] The Big House 4: feat. Mango, Armada, Mew2King, Hungrybox, Prof Pro (Romulus, MI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
3 stock 8 minutes, actually. I've discussed this with @ Strong Badam Strong Badam , the main PM organizer, and we agree this is in the best interest of the PM tournament. I'm sure he can elaborate further.
As much I respect that this is your tournament with you being the authority to decide rule sets, I'm worried that such a big change at a National will be taken... ungracefully lets just say.

I've opened up a separate thread here to consolidate people's opinions, I hope that you can present some sound logic to ease our worries. (Is this rule set change a necessity based on the logistics of running the tournament, or do you feel that this is the most appropriate rule set for the current meta of the game?)

In the meantime, we might look into adopting this ruleset in our locals for preparation, but I would appreciate some prompt feedback.

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
As much I respect that this is your tournament with you being the authority to decide rule sets, I'm worried that such a big change at a National will be taken... ungracefully lets just say.

I've opened up a separate thread here to consolidate people's opinions, I hope that you can present some sound logic to ease our worries.

In the meantime, we might look into adopting this ruleset in our locals for preparation, but I would appreciate some prompt feedback.
We've done some basic time studies on the Top 8s of the past few Project M majors and compared them to the Top 8s of the past few Melee majors. Completely excluding downtime between sets, PM has a much higher average set length and a much larger standard deviation of set length. Both of these parameters are extremely important considerations when planning the schedule for a national tournament operation like this. More importantly, both of these parameters are outside the TO staff's control given the current standard ruleset. I've run through the calculations several times already and can put together a brief summary if you want to see one.

There are a few reasons why it matters a lot that PM has a higher average set length and higher variance than Melee. We do multiple waves for each block of time on the schedule for tournaments like this in order to accommodate dual-game entrants such that they have no overlapping tournament obligations. Melee and PM both have to start and finish within the constraints of these waves, which means simply bringing more setups wouldn't necessarily solve the problem of uneven gameplay time as it probably would at a single-game tournament. Furthermore, the effect of set length and variance is magnified when Top 8s roll around and only one set is being played at a time. We have approximately 25 hours of tournament time to work with over the weekend, and every minute counts.

I understand that some players may be put off by the change in stock count, but I'd like to point out that PM has seen new releases preceding big tournaments on short notice before. This ruleset change is being clearly communicated starting on day one of registration, so everyone has equal footing on any adaptation required from it. We all want to give PM main event treatment, with both singles pools and a doubles event; considering our expected turnout and window of time over the weekend, a slight change in ruleset is necessary in order to accomplish that. This isn't meant to be an assertion that all other PM tourneys should convert to three stock, by the way. It's just a necessary step for Big House in particular to take, all circumstances considered.

Again, paging @ Strong Badam Strong Badam for further thoughts.

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
We've done some basic time studies on the Top 8s of the past few Project M majors and compared them to the Top 8s of the past few Melee majors. Completely excluding downtime between sets, PM has a much higher average set length and a much larger standard deviation of set length. Both of these parameters are extremely important considerations when planning the schedule for a national tournament operation like this. More importantly, both of these parameters are outside the TO staff's control given the current standard ruleset. I've run through the calculations several times already and can put together a brief summary if you want to see one.

I understand that some players may be put off by the change in stock count, but I'd like to point out that PM has seen new releases preceding big tournaments on short notice before. This ruleset change is being clearly communicated starting on day one of registration, so everyone has equal footing on any adaptation required from it. We all want to give PM main event treatment, with both singles pools and a doubles event; considering our expected turnout and window of time over the weekend, a slight change in ruleset is necessary in order to accomplish that. This isn't meant to be an assertion that all other PM tourneys should convert to three stock at all, by the way. This is just a necessary step for Big House in particular to take, all circumstances considered.

Again, paging @ Strong Badam Strong Badam for further thoughts.
I would actually like to see the data for comparison of the average/sigma for the top 8 matches for melee and PM, that seems like very useful data in general.

In terms of how it made you decide to change the rule set I'm less interested in, I trust you know how to run tournaments better than anyone else. But if I were to interpret this rule set change as a necessity based on the limitations of the tournament vs the amount of time needed, would you agree?

EDIT: Actually I would like to know how much time you foresee saving based on the 3 stock rule change. (a raw 25%?)

Also, as a side note do you think other tournaments should continue using the 4 stock rule, or would you recommend rule set review based on the outcome of your tournament?

The last question is probably better answered by strong bad.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Posted this in the other thread but I figured I'd post it here as well:

Hey, so there are a decent number of reasons we're gonna run 3 stock at Big House 4 but here's the main gist of things.

The Big House will always treat Melee and Project M equally in terms of production quality, tournament format (given entrant counts allow it), promotion, etc.. In addition, at The Big House, we employ a large number of logistical time savers in order to run both games efficiently that quite frankly, other tournaments don't do. Despite this, Rob (Juggleguy) and I both had reservations regarding how efficiently we could run PM this year due to our projections on attendance for both games as well as our own monitoring of tournament completion time at other events. To put it simply, the average PM match takes longer than the average Melee match (the reasons for this aren't particularly relevant to us as TOs, we have to address it regardless), despite there being approximately 0 timeouts. To ensure that we're able to give Project M the treatment it deserves with regards to stream time, tournament format, Bo5 Sets, etc. etc., we've decided to run 3 stock. I ran 3 stock during pools at MELEE-FC Legacy in order to make up lost time, and had no complaints from any of the players at the event.
Please don't let the ruleset cloud your judgment on whether or not to attend. The Big House is the best Smash tournament series, and if you ask anyone who has attended a previous Big House they'll tell you the same. We're making this decision because with our experience and expertise in TOing we feel it's the best route to take. We hope you understand and have a great time at our event. As a high level Project M player myself, the stock # should definitely not prevent our ruleset from still determining the better player.

Thanks,
Strong Bad

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Thank you juggleguy and strong bad for your prompt responses, it cleared up a lot for me.

But I would like the other stuff answered too.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We don't expect to see a raw 25% time saved, because there are other things that contribute to set time such as, character/stage selection, control setup, etc. etc. but the time saved will be significant enough that we will be able to run Project M in the format we want to (round robin pools, proper streaming of the top 8 of bracket, etc).

Unless tournaments are completing at ungodly hours, the 4-stock ruleset is perfectly usable for PM tournaments. Big House 4 is just a different beast entirely and we are projecting a huge turnout here and NEED to get done by a specific time. For us, going even 30 minutes behind schedule is unacceptable.

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I'll definitely be making this. I'll be flying out, though. I won't be able to bring all of my TVs. :( I'll bring at least 3 cubes and 3 wiis. I'm still looking for a melee disc so I can have 4 melee setups lol

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Registration has been launched! Visit www.umsmash.com to register today.

Key Dates:
July 15: Registration Opens
August 15: Venue Fee increases
September 15: Venue fee increases
September 20: Hotel Booking Deadline
September 20: Tournament Registration Deadline

Please make sure to read all rules, code of conduct, and other information before registering!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Why is dracula's castle a CP, but distant planet is not? I feel like it should be the reverse. DC is far worse then DP.

:018:

mudkyp

Smash Apprentice
Basically me since the announcement at Super SWEET. This is THE smash tournament I look forward to every year. Cannot wait!

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
looking to attend this event, but i abhor traveling afar to tournaments only to play smash. i'm hoping to be able to explore the history, cuisine, and architecture that detroit has to offer if i come up to this.

does anyone know of someone that could house for a few days in detroit before the tournament? i plan on staying at the venue hotel from friday to sunday, so i'm looking to explore from monday to thursday.

Last edited:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
looking to attend this event, but i abhor traveling afar to tournaments only to play smash. i'm hoping to be able to explore the history, cuisine, and architecture that detroit has to offer if i come up to this.

does anyone know of someone that could house for a few days in detroit before the tournament? i plan on staying at the venue hotel from friday to sunday, so i'm looking to explore from monday to thursday.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...-2013-list-of-americas-most-miserable-cities/

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

FYI, this tournament isn't actually in Detroit, the airport is just named Detroit Metro Airport after the nearest big city.

Ann Arbor is actually closer to the venue, and is approximately 100x more fun to explore. Go there instead.

Coffeemug

Smash Journeyman
GO TO THE PIZZA HOUSE. We went there one night after Super Sweet when we were exploring the city. A+ pizza and cool place.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Will definitely be here. Curious as to why Drac's is legal instead of Skyworld (or why Drac's in legal in general) in PM?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The stagelist for PM is subject to change at the moment. Think it's just last years for now.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Registered and planning to bring a setup for the first time!
Can't wait! \o/

Naryx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Naryx17
I know this may be the wrong place to post this but i am wanting to attend this year and was wondering where i would need to post to ask for housing assistance/ride assistance, not sure if there are any people in my area going but i didn't see a thread in the tournament discussion thread for this event yet. thank you in advance.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Is it safe to assume that the venue discounts stack depending on the number of setups I bring, similar to super sweet?
Yes.

Just keep in mind each full setup has to include a CRT TV of at least 15+ inches and be available for TO staff to borrow until Sunday evening.

pluto

Smash Cadet
i absolutely cannot wait for october. this is going to be my first tournament AND sm4sh comes out the day before. can't wait to meet some of you and finally be surrounded by people who love the game. it's been a long time coming and i've heard nothing but good things about Big House tournaments. +++excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom