• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Oct 4, 2014] For Glory: A Melee/PM/Smash for 3DS tournament! (The Woodlands, Texas)

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Smashers the day is here! The next installment of the game we all love is finally upon us! Smash for 3DS will be released on October 3rd and to commemorate this we at the Smash Dojo are throwing a day 1 Singles tournament for the release of Smash for 3DS. Now don't think we forgot about some good ol Melee and PM, we will be running a tournament for those two games as well, Singles and just for fun we will also be running a special side event to be decided on at a later time, but some options that would be fun are Random Singles and/or Doubles in PM, Melee random Singles or a Smash Run tournament for Smash on the 3DS.

NOTICE: You must bring your own controller/3DS to play in any event. Extra controllers might be lying around but there is no guarantee for that. No modded controllers or 3DS's don't be that guy we have to kick out.

Venue fee - $3
Melee Registration - $5
Project M Fee - $5
Smash for 3DS Fee - $5
Smash for 3DS Doubles- $5 per teammate
Special side event - $1
Venue fee must be payed no matter which tournament you enter

NOTICE 2: If you bring a full set up (Not counting 3DS's) you will have your venue fee refunded to you in full. A full set up includes a CRT TV (must be a CRT don't be a scrub and bring an LCD), a Wii or Gamecube with all the needed cords (modded Wii's are acceptable as long as they have at least Melee or PM on it), a Melee disk with a memory card that has all the characters and stages unlocked or a brawl disc and a SD card with PM on it.

Times:
Melee: Bracket begins at 4:30
PM: Bracket Begins at 5:30
3DS Doubles: Begins at 6:00
3DS Singles: Begins at 6:30
Page 2 PM Ganon singles: whenever PM finishes

Melee Ruleset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starters/Neutrals:

Yoshi’s Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

General Rules

Items are set to off
Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
Double Blind: If elected
Contest Port Priority: If elected
Neutral Start: If elected
DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
Forced Character Selection: Off
Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.

How to Play a Set

Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
The players play the first match of the set
Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
The next match is played.
Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Payout:
1st - 70%
2nd - 20%
3rd - 10%

Project M 3.02 Ruleset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 4 stock, 8 minutes.

* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.

* Items set to “off” and “none.”

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon.

* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.

* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.

* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)

* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

* Giga Bowser is banned.

Stagelist:
Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion ("121" in Doubles):
  1. First player strikes one stage.
  2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
  3. First player strikes the next two stages.
  4. Second player strikes one stage.
  5. Players play on remaining stage
Starters
  • Battlefield
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Dreamland
  • Fountain of Dreams (Singles Starter / Doubles Counterpick)
  • Yoshi's Story (Singles Starter / Doubles Counterpick)
Counterpicks
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Warioware
  • Greenhill Zone
  • Skyworld
  • Dracula's Castle
  • Distant Planet
NOTICE 3: If Project: M 3.5 is released before this event happens, I will edit this event so it will correspond accordingly to the new changes that will come to stages among other things.
Payout
1st - 70%
2nd - 20%
3rd - 10%

Tentative 3DS Ruleset
Mii's and custom equipment are not allowed in any way. Custom moves ARE allowed if mutually agreed on between the competitors.

Neutral Stages
  • Prism Tower
  • Battlefield
  • Arena Ferox
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Final Destination (or any variation thereof)
Stage striking
  • Before the first set, each player gets 1 ban. First ban is determined by RPS.
  • If Final Destination is banned as a stage then any variation of Final Destination is also banned.
  • After the first set, the winner bans 3 stages then the loser picks where to go.
  • This stage list will remain the same for Doubles as well.
  • Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.
General Rules
  • All matches will be player at 3 stocks 8 minutes.
  • No items or customizable equipment will be allowed within matches.
  • Mii's are BANNED
  • No modded 3DS's or 2DS's allowed. Modifications made on any 3DS are not allowed and if you are caught using a modded device, you will get banned for this tournament and all further Houston Smash 3DS events and you will NOT get a refund.
  • Coaching is allowed only BETWEEN matches
  • Players can use the spectate mode to watch the match if you wish to.
  • Custom controls are allowed
  • No excessive stalling
  • Your 3DS must be either plugged in a charger OR have at least 3/4's battery filled before the match starts. If your red 3DS light comes on and you pause in the middle of a match to plug in your charger, that is a stock loss for you.
  • Both players must be sitting down at the table marked for their match once called and must sit there for the duration of their match, no HBoxing it and standing up and moving around.
  • All matches are played with Local wireless so lag should be no problem
  • Sets are best of 3, finals are best of 5
Payout
1st - 70%
2nd - 20%
3rd - 10%

Last edited:

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
If I'm just spectating and playing friendlies, would I also have to pay the venue fee? I'm probably going to give my full setup to somebody else.

unpronuncyashun

Smash Rookie
I guess Impact (David) is giving his setup to me (Topher) so I guess... there's that. I'll bring my laptop if you want to use it, Alex. I was told you might want one for brackets.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I guess Impact (David) is giving his setup to me (Topher) so I guess... there's that. I'll bring my laptop if you want to use it, Alex. I was told you might want one for brackets.

YES thanks for the help topher. really appreciate it. Once we get a venue with full internet access things will be smoother

Neg

Smash Rookie
I don't know if it's too late to get in but I am super close so I figured I might as well see. Going to be the first event or anything I've been to so I know I am going to be trash but it should be fun to watch at least and get my ass whooped.

LilSassy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3668-8819-1716
Smash Dojo my ass, it's in the little karate dojo in the alley.

Keebler

Smash Cadet
Says the one who gets so upset over an Internet comment that he bans the person from their Most High Back Alley Karate Dojo.
Smash Dojo my ***, it's in the little karate dojo in the alley.
Still salty from getting 2-0'd in doubles?

I can tell you guys are new, and this is not the way to enter into the community. If you're gonna be a ****, then people are going to ban you from their tournaments.

PS - Thanks for the salty tears, I keep them in a vase for when I need to beat an actual good player.

SmashDojo

Smash Rookie
Smash Dojo my ***, it's in the little karate dojo in the alley.
If you don't like the venue or any other part of the experience then you don't have to come again, but no reason to make rude comments, just keep those to yourself.
You can come to more events here if you want, but if you don't then that's up to you. I'm the owner and wasn't able to make it out due to unexpected scheduling issues so if you had any issues please bring them up with me.

Thank you for making it out to our first tourney none the less though!

Shining

Smash Rookie
Still salty from getting 2-0'd in doubles?

I can tell you guys are new, and this is not the way to enter into the community. If you're gonna be a ****, then people are going to ban you from their tournaments.

PS - Thanks for the salty tears, I keep them in a vase for when I need to beat an actual good player.
I see you get worked up over little things.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
you could have specified where exactly it was i guess? or leave a sign out that say's "smash dojo"?
shining's being a poopy head though
the tournament was fun ^^

Last edited:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
you could have specified where exactly it was i guess? or leave a sign out that say's "smash dojo"?
shining's being a poopy head though
the tournament was fun ^^
Ill be sure to post signs along the road and everything next time that was a mistake on my part. But there is no reason to trash a venue on smashboards, the owner generously let us use it for a low venue. Sassy and Shining need to grow up.

Keebler

Smash Cadet
I see you get worked up over little things.
What part of my post makes me sound like I'm worked up? I'm trying to give you advice so that you don't rub the Houston Smash Scene the wrong way. You guys have to understand that not every tournament is Evo, not everyone has the money to rent out a hotel ballroom for a Smash tourney. This community is a grassroots one, and you have to be understanding of that. You can't expect every tournament, or even that majority of tournaments that you go to to be spectacular giant events. Most events that you go to will have less than 50 people. If you're not able to handle the underground status of Smash, then this community is not right for you.

Top Bottom