• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OC Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The thread was made under that pretense. While Nintendo may have several characters to work with, there are a few questions that must be addressed.

1. Does this character fill in a niche that other characters already in the game don't fill? By this, we mean whether or not the character has a distinct playstyle.
2. Can they be implemented to where they're both faithful to their source games but don't require Smash to horribly comply to their design (i.e.1980's Pacman)?
3. If they do bring something new to the table, is it something that is special to that character (i.e. Lyn's Batto-jutsu, Krystal's staff, Ridley's everything)? If so, is there the possibility that another character might be able to flesh out that concept better?

Asking those three questions narrows down your options a lot. Basically, it comes down to quality over quantity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know what would be awesome? A chamelon fighter of sorts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah it'd be an actual Chameleon fighting, but it would adapt it's moveset to the opponent it's fighting against.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Not sure what diddy kong's idea is, but here's my basic idea got for a chameleon character.
He's a stance/transformation character Designed around effects (or something similar), because I want to related to the opponent, but not character specific (like kirby). He changes form by being hit by an attack (with effect).
Forms would of have different moves, and his playstyle would vary somewhat based on form. I'm not entirely sure if it should be tranformation or stance.
His normal form would be a balanced character. And he would be able to change back to this via taunt (like kirby)
Fire form could be more like a mix up character.
Electric closer to beatdown.
darkness could maybe be a trap layer.
etc.
Haven't put much time into this at the moment, but you get the idea.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
50, why 50? That is an incredible amount, and of course it's going to be challenging.
And the vast majority of fighting games have less than 50 playable characters. Way less.
It kind of defeats the "lesson" in all this. It's like if someone bashes a videogame, and you say "well I'd like to see make eleven games that are better!!"

p.s. That said, this totally reminds me of an idea on another forum, to come up with 30 launch games for a console. (based on NES's "black box" games, I'm told there are 30) I enjoyed trying to come up with my lineup.

D

Deleted member

50, why 50? That is an incredible amount, and of course it's going to be challenging.
And the vast majority of fighting games have less than 50 playable characters. Way less.
It kind of defeats the "lesson" in all this. It's like if someone bashes a videogame, and you say "well I'd like to see make eleven games that are better!!"

p.s. That said, this totally reminds me of an idea on another forum, to come up with 30 launch games for a console. (based on NES's "black box" games, I'm told there are 30) I enjoyed trying to come up with my lineup.
The reason why I say 50 is because most people argue that Smash 4 could easily have 50+ characters, have them all be diverse and still be able to balance the game by launch.

It's simply a way of making people realize how much effort goes into making one character. Of course, coming up with characters from scratch is more difficult than in Smash, but keep in mind you aren't doing programming, balancing, or any of that. You're merely coming up with concepts. Likewise I chose OC because Smash has a very streamlined system for making characters, where people come up with very cliche ideas.

The premise of this thread is to make people think of concepts that can make people excited about trying out that character on concept alone.

In other words, it's also the PacMan buster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom