• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obstacles you have faced on your journey to becoming a better player.

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
I have recently found myself hitting multiple roadblocks at once while trying to learn soft press L-canceling. I have tried out all 3 buttons, and each comes with its own challenge:

L Button: I will sometimes get mixed up, and soft press when trying to WD instead of full pressing like I always do.

R Button: Sometimes I can feel my "orientation" shifting, and I feel like shielding with the L button, before my orientation shifts again. Also occasionally has the problem I am having on the L button.

Z Button: Sometimes I will use Z to use an aerial instead of A, which will sometimes mess me up.

There are many players on here who have had more experience growing as a competitive player than I have, so I was wondering if you guys ever had similar experiences. Now, the question I am asking here is...

What were some roadblocks, whether they were mental or physical, that you had to overcome in order to become a better player?

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Problem:
L Button: I will sometimes get mixed up, and soft press when trying to WD instead of full pressing like I always do.
Solution: Take your GC controller apart and take out the L-button's spring. You'll never have to worry about light-press again. I did it myself. It worked wonders.

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
Problem:

Solution: Take your GC controller apart and take out the L-button's spring. You'll never have to worry about light-press again. I did it myself. It worked wonders.
Will the button "hang" out of it's socket when the controller is held upside-down? I'm just curious. Also, that would take away the point of using the L button, because the reason I am light pressing on accident for WD is because I need to light press on it for a proper L-Cancel...see the problem? =P

_Accelerator

Smash Cadet
I'm in one right now.
I've recently been really getting into 64 so when I get done and play Project M my skills other than L-cancel and Tech has suffered greatly. I can't just have one game so Project M suffers quite a bit :(

I play Kirby in 64 and I got to say, he's sort of similar to Project M Kirby so it's not difficult to readjust between games. My beloved Donkey Kong, however, is a different story.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Will the button "hang" out of it's socket when the controller is held upside-down? I'm just curious. Also, that would take away the point of using the L button, because the reason I am light pressing on accident for WD is because I need to light press on it for a proper L-Cancel...see the problem? =P
No, it won't hang out of it's socket. When you take it apart, you'll see a slider attached to the main internals of the controller that the controller uses to determine light presses. Make sure that the part of the button that connects with slider is behind the slider when you put it back together. This will prevent the button from hanging outside of your controller.

To clear some things up, the spring is not needed for the *click* when you push the button all the way in.

And, no, you don't need light press for wavedashing. There is currently no use for light press in Project M.

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
And, no, you don't need light press for wavedashing. There is currently no use for light press in Project M.
I wavedash with the L-Button. The proper way to L-cancel with the L or R button is to light press, so if you are hit you will still have your tech opportunity. Since I would be full pressing for a WD and soft pressing for an L-cancel, I occasionally get them mixed up.

No, it won't hang out of it's socket. When you take it apart, you'll see a slider attached to the main internals of the controller that the controller uses to determine light presses. Make sure that the part of the button that connects with slider is behind the slider when you put it back together. This will prevent the button from hanging outside of your controller.
Okay, that's good. =P

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I wavedash with the L-Button. The proper way to L-cancel with the L or R button is to light press, so if you are hit you will still have your tech opportunity. Since I would be full pressing for a WD and soft pressing for an L-cancel, I occasionally get them mixed up.
You know, I could be wrong, but if you're low enough to be L-canceling and you're hit by someone while you are L-canceling, it will probably tech. And if there is enough time between you hitting the L button and hitting the ground for it not to tech, then you will have enough time to release the L button and hit it again.

Edit: Oh, oops, if you hit the L button too early to tech and try to hit it again you won't tech. I forgot that.

Last edited:

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
You know, I could be wrong, but if you're low enough to be L-canceling and you're hit by someone while you are L-canceling, it will probably tech. And if there is enough time between you hitting the L button and hitting the ground for it not to tech, then you will have enough time to release the L button and hit it again.
The idea is that if you throw out an aerial while shffling, and get hit before you press the button to L-cancel, you might accidentally press the button after being struck, causing yourself to be locked out for a good 40 frames before being able to tech again. Soft-pressing the trigger is safer because even if you are hit, a soft press won't be read as a tech input, so you won't be locked out.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
The idea is that if you throw out an aerial while shffling, and get hit before you press the button to L-cancel, you might accidentally press the button after being struck, causing yourself to be locked out for a good 40 frames before being able to tech again. Soft-pressing the trigger is safer because even if you are hit, a soft press won't be read as a tech input, so you won't be locked out.
Ah. I get what you're saying. Unfortunately, I don't think I could ever get used to light pressing to L-cancel.

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
Ah. I get what you're saying. Unfortunately, I don't think I could ever get used to light pressing to L-cancel.
Yeah, it's difficult trying to relearn the muscle memory so you can do the proper technique, especially with something that is so repetitive like L-canceling.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Lol. Basically, I want to make sure my technique is perfect, so I can spend more time perfecting more advanced maneuvers and practicing spacing, among other things.
75% of the time, fundamentals will get you farther than tech skill.

Last edited:

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
70% of the time, fundamentals will get you farther than tech skill.
I consider L-canceling a pretty fundamental skill, because there is basically no reason not to use it, and it greatly improves things like pressuring, comboing, etc. Also, it ties in with learning how to control your character perfectly and feel comfortable with your hands, so your mind can do the work.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I consider L-canceling a pretty fundamental skill, because there is basically no reason not to use, and it greatly improves things like pressuring, comboing, etc. Also, it ties in with learning how to control your character perfectly and feel comfortable with my hands so your mind can do the work.
L-canceling = fundamental

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, maybe I should just suck it up and just deal with the mixing up for now and continue to relearn L-canceling with L. It would be nice to hear what other people's experiences were like.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
This probably won't be immensely helpful, but if you re-structure (relearn) your L and R presses to the way I have them set it, it could work out for you in this situation.

I L-cancel with a light press of the L button and tech, wavedash, and shield with a spring-removed R button. This ensures that my L-canceling never interferes with my teching and entirely separates my left index finger from other acts. If light shielding is ever brought back, I'll still have the spring in L for it. Removing the spring from the R button also (in my opinion) makes wavedashing easier, since you don't have to go through the full motion of both the analog and the digital shoulder button inputs.

Top Bottom