• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OBscene 1.0 - Ottawa, Ontario - Feb 28th - COME PLAY HOLY

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Unless Phen's lift deal fails, count me up for Singles.
More on Doubles if I can find a fwiend. : (

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i`m almost definitely coming and gonna be teaming wiht the warrior.

if i bring sf4 could anyone in ottawa bring sticks? :)

buenob

Smash Lord
looks like i get montreal :)

unfortunately, i'm scheduled to work from 5 until 10:15 friday night... i'll see if I can trade that shift away, but no guarantees... that would mean a) get in before 5 and just hang around the appt. // city or b) get in touch with me after 10:15...

pm. me for more info, but I can 100% comfortably house at least 5 people... more if they're willing to sleep on comfy comfy cushions...

also, I will be giving a timing breakdown // equipment update to hype this tomorrow... i'm kinda inebriated right now :)

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Buenob, thing is, we're (if you're housing the RaIph/Cemo group) asking for housing on Saturday night only ;P
I presume because our driver would be too tired to drive at night.

cemo

white walker
the only trouble is if the 2 extra people come. in that case i guess they should bring pillows?

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if I'm following the thread correctly, but who's housing the Zaf group? Which is Zaf, me, chet and probably 2 other guy(Ally, Eleftarios?/Kage?). I dunno why Ally says he's not coming cause I'm pretty sure he is lol.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol well anyways, title stays :)

first group to PM me gets the spot at my place... i've offered many times and no one has been like "we will stay here" so... yeah... saturday night only works fine with me of course :)

the cushions for the back of my couch can be made into a separate bed, so if you bring nothing except blankets I can house 6 easily, it would help if one of you was really short though lol (2 seater couch)
----

as for the venu, I was in checking it out and we'll have 12 setups easily + a projector (with a split video feed of course) , and if theres more tv's we can move some chairs out of the way and set up another 4ish... I haven't posted it on the first post, but I have a total of 8 tv's i'm bringing now, so even if everyone else can't bring one, we'll be better off than LBT :D

also, it's entirely pink :D pink walls, pink base-boards, and pink comfy chairs with floral patterns :) niko should feel right at home

joking aside, this is gonna be an awesome tournament, I just got confirmation from another random group of friends, so with the added montreal'ers this is going to be a 50+ venu, and the insurance only came to 98 bucks, so first place of singles, even at the low 40% is looking to win ~$200 (keep in mind this is an estimate, if a tonne of people bail last minute, I am making no guarantees :p)

there will be one round of pools, 8 pools and top 4 will advance... I said it before that I will be seeding pools myself to attempt to avoid death pools as much as possible, but the pool will be generated only once...

we've gotta be out of the place by 9:30 officially, but there's some leeway on that, so there won't be a need for any 'money back' angry mobs, though I would like to see the look on a cops face when he's told to clear a hall full of angry gamers at some point in my life lol

I'm excited to be running my first tournament, and I hope that everyone has a great time :)

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
"Bowser and Ganondorf's side-b moves will result in a win if finishing the match for the player who initiates the move"

What about Kirby/DDD/Diddy?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I think with those, the game itself decides the winner (no sudden death).

Basically, if it goes to Sudden Death, the person that initiated the SD wins.

(That is, Self-Destruct)

IvanEva

Smash Ace
While yes, all that old stuff is long past us, there should be official rules regarding forfeiting. A simple EVO style forfeit = disqualification would suffice.

Also, please add a 'no douchebaggery outside of the game' rule. Otherwise I'm going to aim my butt towards whoever is beating me and let off such a legendary monster that my opponent won't be able to concentrate/breathe enough to continue the match. I will also refrain from showering starting today. Remember, 'gotta play to win! :p

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Also, please add a 'no douchebaggery outside of the game' rule. Otherwise I'm going to aim my butt towards whoever is beating me and let off such a legendary monster that my opponent won't be able to concentrate/breathe enough to continue the match. I will also refrain from showering starting today. Remember, 'gotta play to win! :p
Excuse me?! I think you're going to have to think up your own strategy and leave me to my own. This is the last time I tell you my tourney strats.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Kage has been building his warrior spirit ever since the day he was born. His stats are over 9000.

GANNON DITTO HYPE!

cemo

white walker
It says the tournie starts at nooon, is that like, when we're allowed in the venue or when signups start or what?
Would we be allowed in if we got there at like 11:30? It's cold out!

Our car coming up is

me
ralph
agora
stef
steb
with 2 other guys not quite decided yet. thad/jer/ and bento showed some interest, but bento might be down in ottawa at the time already.

Niko_K

Smash Master
You can confirm me for singles and I will be bringing a recording setup :)

TOO MUCH FUN <3 Ottawa

Niko_K

Smash Master
Huge problem with your payouts Ben.

40/25/15/10/10

1st place doesn't even get half of all the pot while 2nd gets a quarter of it.

Also why would 4th and 5th get paid the same? Two people TIE for fifth.

You should stick with the classic 60/30/10

KingAce

Smash Ace
yeah... 60/30/10 should be the payouts IMO, and nikos right u cant pay 5th like 10% if you wanna pay out more than 3 imo it shud be like:
50/25/15/10

just my thoughts tho :p your tourny

Niko_K

Smash Master
Well the turnout isn't really large enough to sport a top 5 payout, top 3 seems a lot more reasonable and gives those who have a knack for $$ (Ace, Holy, etc) more of an incentive.

buenob

Smash Lord
ok, i am deathly sick right now :( so much crap to do too... here goes...

top5 is to encourage rando people to come out... it is also to encourage more hardcore people to come out too... CAT4 was gigantic, but CoT4? everyone knew who the "top" players were going to be so it wasn't very big... a lot more of us think we can place top5 than top3 realistically, and for cash-strapped smash players, that will be the difference between coming and skipping...

the reason for 4/5th split, is that it's an extra round to play, and I'm honestly not sure if there will be time enough for it... pretty much every tournament goes to the wire, and an extra 20 min to decide 4th/5th may be the difference between epic lolz and just waiting... there's nothing stopping 4th/5th from MM-ing eachother...

as for the "low" percentage for first... I think it's pretty fair overall really... if those "top" players are so sure they are going to come in top3, then they for sure are going to come in top5, and it's basically guaranteed money... 10% will probably come out to around 60 bucks when all is said and done, and that's not terrible, it will at least pay for the trip, and a free days vacation to play a video game with chill people, I'd go for that in a second...

and i guess finally, for those of you who have been to ottawa before, we love playing games :) it's all about getting better and having fun... for sure, trying to get better and winning is an end goal/result of our efforts... this is about getting exposure to a lot of people you wouldn't have played otherwise, and watching/paying some good brawl, winning is just a reward for those who are the best... I like to think of it as payment for lessons :) The tourney is also a bit of an experiment, as was stated before, and is obvious from the legal-stage list... The term "competitive" gets thrown around a lot in stage-ban discussions, and discusion is great, but demonstration is even better, and it all comes down to "what kind of game do I want to play"... There's a large movement for increasing the stage restrictions, and I am unconvinced that is the right answer... really, this series of tournaments is about me finding the game I want to play </dramatic speach lol... sorry i'm sick>

--
I will be housing anyone from montreal who needs housing :) pm me and I'll provide contact information, but we'll be seeing eachother first at the tourney so it's not a huge deal
--

also, please bring wii + brawl if you can, and if you are super awesome a TV would be good, as more will always help

Niko_K

Smash Master
Ben if you're paying out to top5 you're going to need to pay out to 6 people because two people will tie for 5th.

buenob

Smash Lord
wow... thank you niko! I will adjust the rates on the front page... +5% for first, -5% for 5th...

sorry for being ******** guys! :)

KingAce

Smash Ace
since allys probably going to this, 40% for first is good :) since anything higher is just gonna goto ally by default -_-

Top Bottom