• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nunchuck Controls

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I realize that, in the transition from Melee to Brawl, many people will hold their beloved Gamecube controllers close to them, or make a nervous switch to the Classic Controller. And that's fine.
But has anyone really tried out the Nunchuck controls? I did a little adjusting to the settings (moved that blasted B-move button from the back to D-Pad down and put shield on B) and found that it feels pretty good. It's just a matter of personal preference, but I feel that the controls work well for this game.
Only thing is I leave Shake Smash off. Try as I might, I can be **** sure I'll never get used to it.

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
I never understood shake smash so I didnt put it on. But what I did was keep B on B and move jump to D-pad down so I can at least short hop more effectively. overall I find nunchuck to be quite a pleasant control scheme.

Flyingmonkey

Smash Cadet
As a Luigi main, I can't put special move on the D pad :-( I can't press it fast enough. Overall though, I'm still getting used to the control scheme, but I plan to get totally used to it, because it has less finger movement involved than the GC control scheme.

Ralk

Smash Rookie
I'm also trying the nunchuck controls just to mix it up. Definitely took some getting used to, but I like it. I ended up with a setup similar to Penguin's.

tap jump: off
Z: jump

A: attack
d-pad: special
B: shield
A+B: grab

This seems the most natural because your moving and jumping is all in the left hand. With the right hand, you easily access attack, special, and shield. Grabbing with A+B is fine since it's just like shield-grabbing.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
i actually prefer the nunchuck set up now. i simply changed the down on the d-pad to jump and removed the tap jump. works nicely.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think I've finally got used to mine, it took a few hours but now it's like an old friend to me.

Standard: A
Special: B
Jump: Left, Right, Down on the D-Pad (The reason I did that leaving it just on down like I original did I would accidently hit left or right on accident) Oddly enough I found it easier to short hop with the d-pad then I ever could with the X and Y on the GCN controller.
Shield: Z
Grab: C

Tap Jump: Off

Shake Smash: Off, I will confess I did try the shake smash, but you've got to have extremely steady hand to make it work good because if you move the remote too much while moving buttons you'll accidently trigger the smash on accident. And oddly I could get Forward and down to work without any trouble but the up-smash proved to be kind of annoying to pull off for some reason. I have too many flinchy movements when I'm playing a game due to the cooridation issues with my hands so Shake Smash doesn't work well for me. But for those that could make it work can make a decent substitue for the lack of C-stick on the Nunchuck.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I've changed grab from Left and Right on the D-Pad to Up and...C I think? (the small button on the left).
I found myself not using grab at all in it's original position, but the thing that really spurred me to do it was the inability to use both my left and right taunts on With Friends. Gotta have my Aidsstorm taunt for Lucas' FS :p
Also, I didn't see a setting to use A + B. If I did I probably would've set it to grab.

saud

Smash Lord
Since I'm a lefty, I'm able to use the wiimote + nunchuck on either hand; will use the nunchuck on my right hand, wiimote on my left. So I'll switch C to grab, Z to shield, and D-pad Down to jump. It may take me some time to get used to using B for special attacks though.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
After 7 years of regular battling, my muscle memory makes playing with anything but the Gamecube controller difficult. :(

onlinenow25

Smash Rookie
Since I'm a lefty, I'm able to use the wiimote + nunchuck on either hand; will use the nunchuck on my right hand, wiimote on my left. So I'll switch C to grab, Z to shield, and D-pad Down to jump. It may take me some time to get used to using B for special attacks though.

Lol same, but i really recommend keeping the nunchuck with your left hand.
Because your left hand has more control over the control stick, and just pressing a button with your right hand is nothing.

So far with the wiimote+chuck im finally able to do tilts w/out acidently doing a smash. And the waggle smash sucks i keep forgetting to turn it off.

A: normal
B: special
C: Grab
Z: shield
UP, Left, Right: Jump (kept pressing left and right somehow)
Down:shield(will probably change to grab)
A+B: Grab

Top Bottom