• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

FractalRevive

Smash Rookie
Um, im completely new to the scene. Never been to anything, and have some trouble with cpus in brawl, but i am very interested in join the sydney smash community. Is this the thread i should be in?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hello there sir and welcome to the community.

This is totally a thread you can use (to my knowledge). Things are a tad inactive at the moment and especially now as smash 4 comes to the fore, Brawl's scene is a bit small, however you should still find plenty of people who are enthusiastic and willing to help you out with the game. National tournaments often have a decent Brawl turn-out but also usually happen in ACT and Melbourne. If a lot of people are interested though brawl tournies still get run in Sydney and the surrounding area. :-)

Irregardless, you've more or less found the right place. ^^

FractalRevive

Smash Rookie
For that event at unsw, what would be required to be brought?. I dont have a gamecube controller. Atm im using a wii classic controller(not numchucks) and will probably get a GC controller soonish.

cheese619

Smash Ace
@ Luco Luco National tournaments have never been run in the ACT. Also while Brawl is quite inactive at the moment Melee and Project M are both very active (RoS tournaments, Cao and Shaya's Fern series).

@ F FractalRevive Brawl will be run at a major Sydney tournament next month. Here is the thread for it
http://smashboards.com/threads/acl-sydney-19-07-14-20-07-14-book-flights-now.357902/
As far as I know the only instances of any Brawl tournaments being run in Sydney this year have been at York Street Battles.
@ Shaya Shaya is probably the person you want to talk to if you want to get into Brawl so just PM him and he'll let you know what's going on in the Brawl scene.
For events at UNSW all that you need to bring is your own controller, although bringing a setup is nice if you're able to.

Last edited:

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
As others have suggested, I highly recommend coming to the major event we're holding at ACL Sydney next month. You'll meet so many people both from Sydney and interstate. You'll meet fans of whichever smash game you want to play. We haven't had an event like this in Sydney in four years. You will have a great time, I guarantee it.

A quick note though, don't come with any unrealistic expectations of being able to beat very many people. There is so much a new player needs to learn before you can stand up to any regular attendee. That said, most of us would be happy to give a few tips as we play with you. Come with a willingness to be beaten, and most of all, a willingness to learn and improve.

Look forward to seeing you there =)

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I haven't really kept up to date with recent stuff so I didn't know what was going on with ACL.

Irregardless, I only mentioned Brawl because he did lel. :)

In any case, a Sydney major sounds exciting as hell, gonna check this all out.

FractalRevive

Smash Rookie
@ cheese619 cheese619 Thank you, since i just emulated melee, i wouldnt mind looking into the melee scene aswell. Since it is obviously more indepth. I look into contacting after i go to that event next week, see how it really is at first haha.

@ Gords Gords thanks ill bring a controller for wii but atm for melee im using a ps3 controller, so i wont be able to bring any for that.

@ Invisi Invisi yes i dont expect to beat anyone haha, but im really excited to learn things, i can barely wave dash, so i expect people to do allll of the dashing haha.

Excited to attend and look forward to meeting you all at one event or another!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Of course I agree with invisi; but that stated, don't let that idea get you down too much. Anything can happen on your first tournament - I totally believe in the wild card effect (I got beaten by Archmage the first time I versed him and I was at least decent at that point :D), and especially at a major you might do some totally unexpected things. Not saying I expect big stuff, but that little surprises do tend to pop up here and there, so I think you'll find it a really fun, generally great experience. I recall my first tournament like a hazy dream these days.... it was pretty awesomely cool anyway. :p

Last edited:

Tin Man

Smash Hero
@ F FractalRevive Since October last year I've been hosting tournaments in Canberra on a monthly basis for multiple smash games (so far Brawl, Melee, and PM). A carpool from Sydney comes down to reach some of our tournaments so maybe next time you can make it down with some of them! :). Speaking of which...

The results thread for Canberra Colosseum 6 is officially up!

http://smashboards.com/threads/canb...ustralia-results-shoutouts-14-06-2014.358421/

The next tournament is likely going to be on July 5th.

FractalRevive

Smash Rookie
@ Gords Gords
for the unsw event, for the movies, could i suggest one?

Its called Smash Wars by Ken and Mana. Though its not on youtube atm, its found on kens stream - twitch.tv/liquidken/b/538637157?t=1m09s
Best thing i have seen in awhile.

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
for the movies i was more referring to going to the cinema to see a movie as this is something we have done in the past.

while your in my apartment feel free to watch whatever you like as long as there is a spare screen to watch it on. we have done this in the past as well, like downloading and watching 'wreck it ralph' for example

Gords

Smash Champion
if anyone coming to my place this weekends doesnt have my number message me here or on facebook and i will give it to you, it is needed to let me know you arrive so i can let you in

Gords

Smash Champion
That's fine, have you still got my number. You will need to call for me to let you in

Tin Man

Smash Hero
The next Canberra tournament thread/Facebook page are officially up! Canberra Colosseum 7 is only 10 days away! Also, a new side event will be chosen for this event so be sure to vote for the event you want to see!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/763244703706129

Smashboards: http://smashboards.com/threads/act-...-ssbm-pm-a-new-side-event-july-5-2014.341400/

Canberra Smash Players (Canberra's Facebook community/where you can vote for the side event): https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanberraSmashPlayers

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Invisi is lookin to bring a carpool of Sydney smashers down to Canberra Colosseum 7 next Saturday! He has a couple spots left so be sure to message him to secure a ride down :)

Gords

Smash Champion
For those that missed out on my MLG meet, i will be hosting another similar meet for evo,
Details are as follows:
Where: UNSW
When: Friday 11th June - Mon 14th June (EVO stream probs 9-10am)
What: activities include Watching EVO Streams, all iterations of Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D Worlds, Mario Kart 8 or any other games people want to play. If people want to bring board/card games feel free.
lets just have fun.

Also would people like to go see the new transformers movie, if they dont see it before the meet that is?

Expect to get little sleep and the sleep you get to be on the floor, bring your own blanket/sleeping bag as I don't have very many.
People are ok to come and go throughout this time as they please.

Let me know if you can make it.

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
This looks like hea
For those that missed out on my MLG meet, i will be hosting another similar meet for evo,
Details are as follows:
Where: UNSW
When: Friday 11th June - Mon 14th June (EVO stream probs 9-10am)
What: activities include Watching EVO Streams, all iterations of Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D Worlds, Mario Kart 8 or any other games people want to play. If people want to bring board/card games feel free.
lets just have fun.

Also would people like to go see the new transformers movie, if they dont see it before the meet that is?

Expect to get little sleep and the sleep you get to be on the floor, bring your own blanket/sleeping bag as I don't have very many.
People are ok to come and go throughout this time as they please.

Let me know if you can make it.
This looks like heaps of fun, but unfortunately I can't make it.
Have Fun!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
The results for Canberra Colosseum 7 are up!

Thanks to everyone that came out, especially Sydney for coming down with two carpools! Looking forward having you guys again and to increasing the interstate activity all around Australia!

The next tournament is likely going to be on August 2nd. A date will be finalized later this week!

http://smashboards.com/threads/canb...ustralia-results-shoutouts-05-07-2014.360289/

ayek0

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's any meetups happening in Sydney soon, keen to participate!

Looks like I've already missed quite a few

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

ayek0

Smash Rookie
Haha yeah, I just signed up today. Tbh this will be my first competitive match in Smash but I'm just coming in for the experience :) Hoping to meet some Sydney-siders!

Guess I gotta keep an ear out for gords' events

Gords

Smash Champion
great to hear your coming to ACL, my meets will probs slow down a bit after ACL since i will be back to studying next semester.
anyways keep an eye on facebook and here to see if anyone is playing

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Haha yeah, I just signed up today. Tbh this will be my first competitive match in Smash but I'm just coming in for the experience :) Hoping to meet some Sydney-siders!

Guess I gotta keep an ear out for gords' events
Great, can't wait to see you there! :D

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Very pumped for the next tourney (RoS5?). Hopefully we get even more attendees than Revival of Sydney 2 which I think had the most players out of all the tournies we've had this year.

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
I need to get some info from others, but my goal is to have it either the week before or after SS

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys do u think 3DS Smash will get played competitively in Sydney? (Sorry didn't know where else to ask this).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
How wouldn't it? :)

If people have the game and have a 3DS and are willing to congregate somewhere and pay a venue and entry fee, it's a lot easier to work with than say a console tournament. You don't need TVs, you don't need consoles, you don't even need tables!

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well I thought Wii U might be considered competitive and 3DS might be considered a side thing, like doubles or a low tier tourney or something like that.

I was also thinking about the competitive eligibility of the 3DS with custom movesets, unless we just ban custom movesets.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Dre!!! =D

And I personally had that thought too. I believe 3DS will take a backseat when the Wii U version comes out but in that period between their releases, 3DS will probably get eaten up by peeps because it'll be like "Oh look it's smash 4 let's play this competitively and ditch brawl!" and i'll be like ;_;

Nah but it'll probably be a lot of fun. ^^

Top Bottom