• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that we've seen some gameplay...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Real gameplay that is, not just short blips here and there, but 2+ hours at the invitational and the treehouse vids, etc. what do people think about the noticeable differences in this game?

I've noticed that learning Smash is a dynamic undertaking. If, in other words, you learned on Melee, and then tried to play Brawl like you were playing Melee, you'd be hard pressed to be as good. I think the same holds true for Brawl... I think that the habits one develops need to be unlearned between each iteration, and this concept may indeed be what confounds players the most. Admittedly I've played other fighting games, and it seems true for them as well. In fact it has seemed over the last 2 decades that most series want to punish players who expect to go in to the new game using old techniques. They either, kinda work, half work, or flat out don't work at all. And what follows is the reaction "ew, I don't like this, I can't do Heihachi's 6 hit juggle anymore, he must suck now, and so this game must suck) and then time passes and we learn to adapt and change or pick new mains, or whatever.

Anyway, not to lecture just noticing that THIS new game is not different in this respect... indeed we will have to unlearn our Brawl techniques (and whatever Melee techniques were left) in favor of discovering Smash4 techniques, which are of course similar to the previous games... they are based on previous games, but they'll undoubtedly require a fresh perspective.

Just going off of the invitational gameplay, I can see there's a few interesting things that will no doubt become ... issues? No I don't wanna say that, they're not problems, they're more decisions by the developers that may impact the game in a competitive sense. For instance Yellow Devil. Crazy and cool as he is, he seems like he'd take that stage out of the running list of starters/cp. Aerials seem to be elongated (sic) now, you can see some of the double jumps -> recovery will take characters well above the damage ceiling - a short hop seems to be about 1.5 times higher than in previous games. The game also tends to still suffer from camping issues though maybe not as bad as Brawl. Interesting strategies to say the least, but at the same time, not-so original in varying arenas, methinks the boxing ring will also be turned down for start/cp though it's definitely too early to tell for sure.

And of course most of these observations are based on the mostly FFA matches, just watching it over and over and focusing on one or two different players each run through. In the 1v1 GF match ZSS seemed to have more options against Kirby but this could also be attributed to the fact that out-of-the-box someone familiar with ZSS may fair better than a player familiar with Kirby, or appear to have more options (as it appeared in the match). These matches, though, these observations, are key because they will lead to the final tweaks made to the game to help finalize the product, and hopefully the finished product will not disappoint (as I'm seeing there is already quite a bit of negative feedback being generated).

Oh, and on a personal note, this whole "you can't dash dance" thing is kinda off I think... you may not be able to do it just like you used to but unless my eyes deceived me hungrybox was doing some crazy footwork/positioning with kirby.

Also I noticed that the learning curve is a bit steep for the new characters Mega Man and Little Mac. When put to the test, both characters remained about a stock and half behind the rest in terms of KOs/dmg. With items off it's obviously a different story, but in general you can typically follow the potential of a character (and player, really) based on the closeness of dmg% as a fight continues, and it was clear that even during FFA 3 of 4 players would be around equal % while MM/LM would end up at much higher damage to even being down a stock before anyone else. Again could be the learning curve, maybe these characters are just harder to use effectively, or it could be that these characters just aren't as high tier as we'd like them to be. If we just go off of feedback LM is bottom tier, lol which I think is a bit harsh.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Well, 6 melee elitists showed up at my best buy, tried to play it like melee, failed, complained about the control scheme, made statements about how horrible little mac is, and then misused the word objective while trying to get the nintendo rep to take a note ondash dancing.

I think it's clear our standards and outlook are going to have to change. The game is its own thing. What that means we don't fully know. But the game is not melee and it's not brawl.

Clash tournaments has some very nice 1v1 matches on their youtube page, if that helps. I can exactly say what the big changes are but the game certainly seemed to flow differently.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
We learned nothing imo

Demo isn't even an up to date build that the developers are using atm.

We learned about moves and character "styles" but nothing really about the actual "game" (other than no wavedashing and etc which we already knew).

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, 6 melee elitists showed up at my best buy, tried to play it like melee, failed, complained about the control scheme, made statements about how horrible little mac is, and then misused the word objective while trying to get the nintendo rep to take a note ondash dancing.

I think it's clear our standards and outlook are going to have to change. The game is its own thing. What that means we don't fully know. But the game is not melee and it's not brawl.

Clash tournaments has some very nice 1v1 matches on their youtube page, if that helps. I can exactly say what the big changes are but the game certainly seemed to flow differently.
Well we also have to consider Project: M which a lot of people have been playing faithfully now even in favor over Melee and it could be that Smash4 just doesn't provide the same "experience" that such players are looking for. I agree it's too early to tell anything but these early impressions are not great. Then again neither is the that of the WiiU in general. Nintendo's not doing so hot this generation around. But we'll see.

RODO

Smash Ace
I think people are more concerned about it being a viable esport not about it being like a past smash. People adapted to Brawl (I certainly did) but it just wasn't as fun to watch for people. I had a blast playing it but now I'd like for it to be more of an esport.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Agreeing with CommanderRin. This was an earlier demo build. Game froze for some people, for others items didn't even function properly... (heck, I even saw that Fairy Bottle not work during the Tournament.) I'm confident that the finished product is going to be quite a bit different from this.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
I personally feel that two things hold the game from its potential, one. Endlag and landlag-yeah its been said a billion times already, I'm pretty sure even sakurai would have taken note because he was at E3 and the treehouse is fully capable of relaying messages from the players who gave this feedback. Next, the hitstun, Its PAINFULLY close to being just right but not broken, people say that most grabs can't be followed up on, but by increasing hitstun they can, effectively ensuring more combos and better punishes and gameplay therby making it a more fun game to watch (How many people talked about this at E3?), and since this game reminds me a lot of the N64 smash, it makes sense.

ferioku

Smash Ace
We learned nothing imo

Demo isn't even an up to date build that the developers are using atm.

We learned about moves and character "styles" but nothing really about the actual "game" (other than no wavedashing and etc which we already knew).
Very true

You play brave frontier? Whats your ID?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
All we learned about was the demo. It won't mean much for the actual game (other than that those characters and attacks will be in it).

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Agreeing with CommanderRin. This was an earlier demo build. Game froze for some people, for others items didn't even function properly... (heck, I even saw that Fairy Bottle not work during the Tournament.) I'm confident that the finished product is going to be quite a bit different from this.
The fairy bottle is supposed to be like that. It only heals you if you're over 100%. Otherwise you're supposed to throw it off the edge so your opponents cant heal themselves.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Just gonna have to wait and see alot of people are denial when they keep saying it isn't brawl. It is brawl alot of the brawl players are claiming as their game it clearly isn't melee or n64 or anything else. Just a fixed brawl or 2.0 which isn't completely bad. If sakurai takes that feedback it will be a dope game it seems pretty okay.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
Well we also have to consider Project: M which a lot of people have been playing faithfully now even in favor over Melee and it could be that Smash4 just doesn't provide the same "experience" that such players are looking for. I agree it's too early to tell anything but these early impressions are not great. Then again neither is the that of the WiiU in general. Nintendo's not doing so hot this generation around. But we'll see.
Some players are going to prefer PM or Melee (or even Brawl) to Smash 4, but that's about .00000001% of the people who buy Smash 4. Smash 4 is going to sell like crack on the 1st and 15th; Nintendo will do just fine with this one.
Just gonna have to wait and see alot of people are denial when they keep saying it isn't brawl. It is brawl alot of the brawl players are claiming as their game it clearly isn't melee or n64 or anything else. Just a fixed brawl or 2.0 which isn't completely bad. If sakurai takes that feedback it will be a dope game it seems pretty okay.
While I acknowledge that the game seems closer to the Brawl side of the spectrum than the Melee side, CT. Zero, Juice.doom, and I think maybe Keitaro (all Brawl players) have all said that the game is its own thing. They know Brawl better than most people on the planet, and could recognize a game as Brawl 2.0 if they saw it as such. But they don't. Just because the game doesn't have washdashing, l-cancelling, or tons of hitstun doesn't mean that it's 'Brawl 2.0.' All that means is the game is not Melee 2.0. And just because is not Melee 2.0 doesn't automatically make it Brawl 2.0.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Some players are going to prefer PM or Melee (or even Brawl) to Smash 4, but that's about .00000001% of the people who buy Smash 4. Smash 4 is going to sell like crack on the 1st and 15th; Nintendo will do just fine with this one.

While I acknowledge that the game seems closer to the Brawl side of the spectrum than the Melee side, CT. Zero, Juice.doom, and I think maybe Keitaro (all Brawl players) have all said that the game is its own thing. They know Brawl better than most people on the planet, and could recognize a game as Brawl 2.0 if they saw it as such. But they don't. Just because the game doesn't have washdashing, l-cancelling, or tons of hitstun doesn't mean that it's 'Brawl 2.0.' All that means is the game is not Melee 2.0. And just because is not Melee 2.0 doesn't automatically make it Brawl 2.0.
if looks like brawl and plays similar to brawl it is kinda of brawl.

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
Basically this game is it own thing. Its somewhere between both brawl and melee imo. But closer to brawl if I had to say so myself. I think this game will do just fine but seeing what Project M is and the players that enjoy it so much it wont be favored by them so much.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
if looks like brawl and plays similar to brawl it is kinda of brawl.
Yeah that's some real solid logic, you work that out yourself? I'm not a lawyer like yourself, but I know that Taco Bell beef tastes like real beef, looks like real beef, but is pretty far from real beef. To go back to your original post about people being in denial about Smash 4 being Brawl, I might argue that you're in denial about your own shoddy logic.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Smash 4 is going to be interesting, exciting, and fun all rolled into one package.

As long as we view it as it's own game, and not comparing it too much to Melee or Brawl, it'll be the best Smash game yet. :)

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I agree with the original post, but let's be honest here. Change has always been the case. Look at the huge difference between 64 Smash and Melee. I played the crap outta the 64 game and when Melee came out it was like I had to relearn everything, even my main characters again. The flow had changed, the pace was faster, and there were new moves and mechanics.

Then from Melee to Brawl, things changed again. I'm not going to say for the better, but certainly not worse. I hate the hitstun in Brawl, but I love the character selection, stages, challenges, etc. They did great work on Brawl, but once again, it was a different game than Melee.

And now we go into Smash 4. It's not Brawl. It's not Melee. It will be something different, and I like that. It keeps things fresh and fun. I'll admit Melee is a better competitive game, but I'm hoping Smash 4 takes off well in the competitive scene, because honestly, I'm getting sick of seeing Falco, Sheik, and Fox being some of the only viable characters. I'm really hoping Smash 4 has more balance, so people can do well with any character.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Yeah that's some real solid logic, you work that out yourself? I'm not a lawyer like yourself, but I know that Taco Bell beef tastes like real beef, looks like real beef, but is pretty far from real beef. To go back to your original post about people being in denial about Smash 4 being Brawl, I might argue that you're in denial about your own shoddy logic.
The people from the invational said it is brawl 2.0 or similar to brawl. It looks and plays similar to brawl i don't see the issue.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
The people from the invational said it is brawl 2.0 or similar to brawl. It looks and plays similar to brawl i don't see the issue.
Unlike yourself, I'll supply sources to my claims instead of just saying "X said this, so..."
CT Zero, the guy who 'won' the Smash Invitational, also premier Brawl player, 2nd at Apex 2014 for Brawl (among other things), says in this article
The game engine was said to be in between Melee and Brawl, and that's a great way to put it. However, the engine is a whole new one that is not like Brawl or Melee - it is unique.
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-wii-u-first-hands-on-impressions-with-ct-zero.358152/
Or in this interview, Rapture, also a Brawl player, not necessarily premier but runs/ran his own Smash podcast and practices with premier Brawl players like Will, says that Smash 4 is so far most akin to Smash 64 (about 1:55 in, not that you'll watch it anyway). http://www.ongamers.com/videos/competitive-smash-bros-player-the-rapture-talks-ab/2300-664/
In this article about the similarities/differences between Brawl and Sm4sh, also written by CT Zero, who is an expert on Brawl and you are not, says
First off, one of the big differences between both games is that Super Smash Brothers Wii U has a much different feel compared to other Smash games, since the engine is different. It is hard to compare both precisely at this point with my current experience, since they're both different games and have different flows.
He goes on to say,
Basically, it is a whole new experience
If you have any sources of 'people from the invitational [saying] it is brawl 2.0,' then feel free to show them to me.
It looks and plays similar to brawl i don't see the issue.
I'm not really sure how to get you to realize that this logic makes no sense, but I hope you enjoy your 100% USDA-approved beef in your Taco Bell.

Last edited:

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
Well, Let me just say, that if the Demo doesn't get some serious change, Smash 4 is going to be the most disappointing smash yet.

Every smash game has been it's own thing, but this one really does look way way too similar to Brawl, which is IMO, the worst game in the series.

Airdodges are super overpowered, game is slooooow, lots of landing lag, edge game is gone in favor of a very casual friendly ledge system.

I mean, the newcomers look awesome, the graphics in general are amazing, but if the gameplay is 150% shallow party game, then it's not going to be a compelling package for me. I know some of you will crucify me for this, and I'm sorry to be negative, I'm just really not to optimistic about the game after watching some of the recent gameplay. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game for a few months as a FFA items on party game, but after that...I can't see myself coming back to it any more than Brawl.

Mix between Melee and Brawl my a** more like a mix between Brawl and Brawl.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
Airdodges are super overpowered, game is slooooow, lots of landing lag, edge game is gone in favor of a very casual friendly ledge system.
Mix between Melee and Brawl my a** more like a mix between Brawl and Brawl.
I've come to the realization that melee purists like you just simply cannot be convinced that this game isn't Brawl 2.0. Which is fine, I mean you're entitled to like what you like, but it's pretty frustrating that you can't do so without writing off an entire installment in what I assume is one of your favorite franchises before you even play the finalized version. Maybe the fact that guys like you will go a whole new Smash game without being able to get excited for it is punishment in itself.
Also, I would argue that the new ledge system encourages off-the-stage play and therefore more option coverage/reading/matchup knowledge than the ledge systems in Brawl or Melee.

Last edited:

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
I've come to the realization that melee purists like you just simply cannot be convinced that this game isn't Brawl 2.0. Which is fine, I mean you're entitled to like what you like, but it's pretty frustrating that you can't do so without writing off an entire installment in what I assume is one of your favorite franchises before you even play the finalized version. Maybe the fact that guys like you will go a whole new Smash game without being able to get excited for it is punishment in itself.
Also, I would argue that the new ledge system encourages off-the-stage play and therefore more option coverage/reading/matchup knowledge than the ledge systems in Brawl or Melee.
I did preface my post with : "if the demo doesn't get changes"

I'm not sure what the final build will be like. Maybe it will be amazing, maybe it will be super offensive, combo friendly, deep smash game.

If it's similar to the current build tho, it won't be.

Also, I'm no Melee purist. I've played every smash game extensively and enjoyed them all, even Brawl to a much lesser extent.. If this game was it's own thing, and a ton of fun, I would love it. But it's very similar to Brawl in a lot of ways. Which is weak.

I'm going to buy the 3DS and Wii U version, and play the hell out of them, but if they are super defensive, slow, and stiff, then I won't bother for too long.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Look, if you had actually played the game, you would know how different it is. Coming from someone that actually played melee AND brawl more than I care to admit, I can safely say the game is it's own game. Wait till you play the full game before you start casting your judgement.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Honestly though how much could the game even change from the demo? Not much imo.

Senario

Smash Ace
This thread isn't going places...Second post and already an attack on the competitive community unprovoked.

So far the game is ok, has some problems and definitely could use more combos rather than one or two hitters before the opponent goes into neutral. Oh and movement options are still kinda meh besides shield dropping.

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
This thread isn't going places...Second post and already an attack on the competitive community unprovoked.

So far the game is ok, has some problems and definitely could use more combos rather than one or two hitters before the opponent goes into neutral. Oh and movement options are still kinda meh besides shield dropping.
I know? Where is all the vitriol for competitive smash players coming from? Are they in someway evil for enjoying the type of competitive smash play they enjoy? It's like:
"Oh you like playing basketball competitively, but Basketball isn't meant to be played like that! Lower the rims, no dribbling, no fouls, you better like it this way We'll call it Brawlsketball!! What you don't like it?? Stupid "competitive purists" trying to ruin Brawlsketball. Just give Brawlsketball a chance! "

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I know? Where is all the vitriol for competitive smash players coming from? Are they in someway evil for enjoying the type of competitive smash play they enjoy? It's like:
"Oh you like playing basketball competitively, but Basketball isn't meant to be played like that! Lower the rims, no dribbling, no fouls, you better like it this way We'll call it Brawlsketball!! What you don't like it?? Stupid "competitive purists" trying to ruin Brawlsketball. Just give Brawlsketball a chance! "
Don't feed the flames. Better edit that out before a flame war happens. :surprised:

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Honestly though how much could the game even change from the demo? Not much imo.
depends on how old the demo was, i mean other games have changes a lot in the months between e3 and release before so who knows

to be fair its just movement options we know about, it took a while to find everything in both melee and brawl so we just need to wait and see what comes from everyone playing the game for a longer time then a few hours

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
I'm laughing at all you folks who have been constantly complaining about an outdated demo acting like its the final product or that somehow things wont change despite the fact that it was PROVEN that the build used dates back as far as before the April Nintendo direct! (For those offering actual criticism, this post doesn't apply to you just want to get that cleared up :)) Then again, as a famous comedian once said

You can't fix STUPID! :p

ProfTrumanchez

Smash Cadet
NNID
ProfTrumanchez
3DS FC
0731-4753-9860
I think "Basketbrawl" is the proper nomenclature for the gentleman's sport in which you are referring to. :awesome:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm laughing at all you folks who have been constantly complaining about an outdated demo acting like its the final product or that somehow things wont change despite the fact that it was PROVEN that the build used dates back as far as before the April Nintendo direct! (For those offering actual criticism, this post doesn't apply to you just want to get that cleared up :)) Then again, as a famous comedian once said

You can't fix STUPID! :p
Even if the demo is from before April Sakurai was stated as balancing the game in January...

The gameplay was more than likely almost finished by the time they made the demo.

You can't just completely ignore a demo just because the phrase "it isn't finished yet" gives you a glimmer of hope for a totally revamped game. The whole gameplay isn't going to change from a few months.

Multiple air dodges, weaker shields, punishable dodges, no ledge hogging, floaty characters, quicker fast falling, ending lag on aerials, dying at high percents, and Wii-fit trainer are all here to stay. Sorry to burst your bubble :awesome:

For the most part the only things that will change are some items, a little bit of balancing, and bug fixes. And of course adding all the extra modes.

Last edited:

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
The demo build is probably from March or April. A lot can change in 6 months, we'll see I guess.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Even if the demo is from before April Sakurai was stated as balancing the game in January...

The gameplay was more than likely almost finished by the time they made the demo.

You can't just completely ignore a demo just because the phrase "it isn't finished yet" gives you a glimmer of hope for a totally revamped game. The whole gameplay isn't going to change from a few months.

Multiple air dodges, weaker shields, punishable dodges, no ledge hogging, floaty characters, quicker fast falling, ending lag on aerials, dying at high percents, and Wii-fit trainer are all here to stay. Sorry to burst your bubble :awesome:

For the most part the only things that will change are some items, a little bit of balancing, and bug fixes. And of course adding all the extra modes.
i think some of that will change, not all of it mind you. I really think the blast zones will be closer than in the demo, since that goes along with balance in a way

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
i think some of that will change, not all of it mind you. I really think the blast zones will be closer than in the demo, since that goes along with balance in a way
I certainly hope that they make the blast zones closer. I'd take it as a bad sign when everyone that is watching the game says "Thats it!!!" on every hit after 150%. And then the character can still make it back to the stage.

Maybe thats what they're going for though. They're probably trying to make edge guarding harder than "Just grab the ledge" and thats ok with me.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I'm wasn't trying to knock on competitive players altogether, just people who equate 'melee purists' with 'competitive purists.'
I guess I'm in the very small minority of people who aren't gonna be heartbroken if I can't get more than 3 hits on an opponent at a time. I love Brawl because of how the lack of hitstun and power of airdodges/defensive mechanics as whole makes it so that every moment of the game and followup is a mixup for the person on defense and a read for person on offense. In that sense, combos don't necessarily make a game 'deeper,' as you alluded to here.
I'm not sure what the final build will be like. Maybe it will be amazing, maybe it will be super offensive, combo friendly, deep smash game.
I get why the 'every moment is a mixup' part of Brawl polarizes people since it's frustrating if you get a hit on your opponent and afterwards cover the wrong options/make the wrong read and then lose all the advantage you thought you had when you hit them. I definitely understand that, and I also enjoy watching/performing combos in Melee or PM. Just, don't equate offense-oriented, combo-happy gameplay with 'deep' gameplay. Both sides of the spectrum are deep for their own separate reasons. Just one is a little easier for most people to enjoy and watch.

Renji64

Smash Lord
assuming everyone who doesn't like brawl is a melee purist lol

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
I'm wasn't trying to knock on competitive players altogether, just people who equate 'melee purists' with 'competitive purists.'
I guess I'm in the very small minority of people who aren't gonna be heartbroken if I can't get more than 3 hits on an opponent at a time. I love Brawl because of how the lack of hitstun and power of airdodges/defensive mechanics as whole makes it so that every moment of the game and followup is a mixup for the person on defense and a read for person on offense. In that sense, combos don't necessarily make a game 'deeper,' as you alluded to here.

I get why the 'every moment is a mixup' part of Brawl polarizes people since it's frustrating if you get a hit on your opponent and afterwards cover the wrong options/make the wrong read and then lose all the advantage you thought you had when you hit them. I definitely understand that, and I also enjoy watching/performing combos in Melee or PM. Just, don't equate offense-oriented, combo-happy gameplay with 'deep' gameplay. Both sides of the spectrum are deep for their own separate reasons. Just one is a little easier for most people to enjoy and watch.
Fair enough. To each his own. I personally don't like the style you are talking about, but that doesn't make your opinion any less valid. Based on your gameplay tastes, I guess you will have two games right up your alley this year.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I certainly hope that they make the blast zones closer. I'd take it as a bad sign when everyone that is watching the game says "Thats it!!!" on every hit after 150%. And then the character can still make it back to the stage.

Maybe thats what they're going for though. They're probably trying to make edge guarding harder than "Just grab the ledge" and thats ok with me.
it might be just me but looking at the direct again it seems the zones are closer,

Top Bottom