• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
okay so guys

basically i only update the first post with stuff that's planned out ahead of time to be a biweekly

tournament on 30th is now a smashfest

As far as the PR tournament goes, it should still be on August 6th, but I don't know exactly where yet. Flamingo's got a venue we could rent out, but we'd be kicked out at 8, which might not jive well with smashers. We could go to Crimson's if he's willing to host, or my place if there's nowhere else to go (unpreferable tbh).

I'd be the main TO regardless of where we go but the final say on time/arrangement/interaction would come from whoever is in control of the venue (Flamingo/Crimson for the above examples), obviously.

Anyways, I should ask now: Crimson, are you down to host?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Stack it up, Crimson!

Any chance we can do my variation of pools for the PR tourney? (or maybe a free tourney on the 30th to test)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Are you asking what my pools are? I don't really like amateur brackets since they aren't really tournament. Bones pools are when you split everyone based on seeding and they play in pools with opponents of similar abilities to determine seeding.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
No, that was just my suggestion :lick:

As long as it's well run and doesn't have dumb whatever happened last tournament then whatever

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Hit up Winston at College Park, I'll try to swing by maybe
Unless you want to drive to my house in Germantown after like 5 or so <.< I have something that resembles a job xD

Should probably call him first though, he sleeps mad late nowadays ...

Bones0

Smash Legend
We need a Smashfest tomorrow, imo. I am dying to practice. My Fox was looking mad sexy last night, but it doesn't do me any good playing alone in my room with the lights off. -_-

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Any chance we can do my variation of pools for the PR tourney? (or maybe a free tourney on the 30th to test)
lolno

as for the 30th, I'm not sure if I have enough setups to efficiently do pools with a bunch of people. If there aren't a bunch of people, your system doesn't really contribute much to the seeding.

@Sypher - start saving your TIO files and send them to the guy in this thread so we can participate in ELO RANKINGS :bee:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306967
I have every tio file from every tournament i've ever run

or i would if i didn't lose my ****ing flash drive

but since then i have everything (like 4 tournaments lol)

i shall send

relevant statement

We need a Smashfest tomorrow, imo. I am dying to practice. My Fox was looking mad sexy last night, but it doesn't do me any good playing alone in my room with the lights off. -_-
yeahdonemyplace

stay the night if you want

Mahone

Smash Champion
Hit up Winston at College Park, I'll try to swing by maybe
Unless you want to drive to my house in Germantown after like 5 or so <.< I have something that resembles a job xD

Should probably call him first though, he sleeps mad late nowadays ...
I don't have his number...

@bones: dude how dare you suggest a tournament structure that makes sense... that's not allowed in Nova lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
lolno

as for the 30th, I'm not sure if I have enough setups to efficiently do pools with a bunch of people. If there aren't a bunch of people, your system doesn't really contribute much to the seeding.
I get what you're saying about not contributing much with fewer people. I just meant as a test run to see how it would work with more people. I don't think the number of setups would have any impact though. As long as there is the same entrants to setup ratio as at larger tournaments, it could be run basically the same. For instance, if you only have 12 people entering, you could do 4 pools of 3 people. Even if there were only 4 setups, you could easily just have a pool per setup (a pool of 3 people is just 3 sets) and at the longest be done in 45 minutes to an hour. Obviously the pools will only let players increase their seed by a max of 2 places, but it's better than just guessing at the seeds of evenly matched people or giving them the same seeds and letting Tio decide who they play randomly. Not to mention it's 2 more sets guaranteed for more experience so we can improve faster as a region.

I don't have his number...

@bones: dude how dare you suggest a tournament structure that makes sense... that's not allowed in Nova lol
Idk what I was thinking, mayne. If I suggested $15 entry fee with single elim, I could probably get my **** sucked. :glare:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hey, what's up MDVA. I posted this in the MDVA Tournament Circuit thread as well, but I might as well post it here too. Anyway, I'm in Virginia for about a week, til next Thursday to be specific, and I really wanna smash with some MDVA players!! I can drive to you; I just need an address.

Saturday and Sunday would be preferrable, cuz I'm visiting my family at the moment and I'm probably hanging out with them for most of the week. And I leave next Thursday.

I might even be able to drive out tomorrow btw. Also I'm pretty sure I'm like, 1 and a half hours from Richmond, VA, so if I could stay the night or something, that'd be sick.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'll try to make it to the august 6th tournament.

Toph, I live in Richmond. I'm unusually busy until august 22nd though. Idk if I can host you (I have a roommate of the female variety) but I can get a friend of mine to let you stay at his place probably. Lots of smashers in richmond.

Mahone

Smash Champion
toph where in va will you be exactly?

also bones and mahone do u guys have aim or fb or something? lol
I have google plus....

but I made my account profile blue eyes white dragon and i just post naked pictures of kaiba with ******* captions lol

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
toph where in va will you be exactly?

also bones and mahone do u guys have aim or fb or something? lol
I'm in Callao, Virginia. Apparently pretty near to Tappahannock. It was about a 1.5 hour drive from the Richmond airport today, and I can make that drive.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
fest today (friday) and saturday btw

i don't know why i didn't mention saturday before, but i guess nothing's going down so i might as well host.

Hey, what's up MDVA. I posted this in the MDVA Tournament Circuit thread as well, but I might as well post it here too. Anyway, I'm in Virginia for about a week, til next Thursday to be specific, and I really wanna smash with some MDVA players!! I can drive to you; I just need an address.
I'm hosting today and saturday in Fairfax, which is in Northern VA. If you check the OP you can get the address. It would be great if you came, and I could house you on Friday night and Saturday night if you want.

Google maps says you're 2.5 hours away, idk if you want to make that trip or not. As for Richmond, I was actually going to try to go down this weekend but everyone seems to be busy. I dunno how successful you're going to be trying to smash there.

Wow, can't go tomorrow anyway. FML...
Saturday? If you can't come because of something midday you could come down that night and stay overnight.

I get what you're saying about not contributing much with fewer people. I just meant as a test run to see how it would work with more people. I don't think the number of setups would have any impact though. As long as there is the same entrants to setup ratio as at larger tournaments, it could be run basically the same. For instance, if you only have 12 people entering, you could do 4 pools of 3 people. Even if there were only 4 setups, you could easily just have a pool per setup (a pool of 3 people is just 3 sets) and at the longest be done in 45 minutes to an hour. Obviously the pools will only let players increase their seed by a max of 2 places, but it's better than just guessing at the seeds of evenly matched people or giving them the same seeds and letting Tio decide who they play randomly. Not to mention it's 2 more sets guaranteed for more experience so we can improve faster as a region.
The thing is, I don't just seed people based on their relative skill level. I wouldn't have you and DJ play each other, for instance. I have to look at your winner's bracket, potential/expected losses, and try to place you away from him in both winner's and loser's bracket.

If we used your pool system, we'd try to keep you and DJ out of the same pool, right? Because of this, coupled with the fact that we're going to seperate you in bracket as well, the placements might not be influential enough to really change the bracket radically with such a limited selection of players. On top of that, wouldn't you want to keep people from immediately playing poolmates, too?

It's not that your system is bad or I dislike it or anything, it's just a matter of efficiency. In order to increase accuracy we need to increase the pool size, but that means more matches and more time. Ideally, we would be able to find a good balance between pool size, influence, and time.

Another thing - how much is a player's seed influenced by who he beats? If noob#1 beats mid#1, would he go up less than if he beat pro#1? How do we gauge upsets? With problems fixed, this whole system is starting to resemble Swiss-system more and more in my head...with Elo rankings needed.

BTW, I said "lolno" because I'm not interested in experimenting with a PR tournament, not because I think your system is a joke.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
FOR EVERYONE'S INFORMATION, the fest starts today at 3, and will go very late (lulz). People can stay the night if they want.

Hope you can make it Keatsta!

Top Bottom