• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 8, 2014] Carpal Tunnel: A Smash 4 3Ds Tournament (San Antonio, TX)

Zhea

Smash Ace
Carpal Tunnel
November 8th, 2014
San Antonio, TX

Brought to you by:
Zhea (Daniel Hall)

Schedule
Venue opens at 12:00 PM, so that's the earliest you can show up!

Tournament Schedule
2:00PM
| Singles begin
6:00PM| Doubles begin
  • Registration for all events will start at 1:00PM.
  • Exact change is appreciated, but not necessary. Helps keep payout pools separate without too much hassle.
Entry Info
Venue Fee: $5 per person (required from all attendees)
Singles: $5 per person
Doubles: $5 per person($10 for a team)

The tournament is open to anyone and everyone! Just show up to the venue on the day of the tournament on time and bring the following:

What to Bring
1. Enough cash for the events you wish to enter (see the prices above)
2. Your own 3DS and copy of Smash 4. This is REQUIRED to enter.

Prizes
Prizes for each individual event are distributed from the money pot as follows:

Payouts for both Singles and Doubles
Under 50 entrants

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Over 50 entrants
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

4th: 5%
Rules
We will be using the TGC Tournament Rule Set which can be found here.

Code of Conduct
  • All ejections or disqualifications due to violations of the Code of Conduct or individual game rules will be without refund.
  • No alcohol or illegal substances inside the venue. Getting caught with these items or evidence of the presence of these items will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
  • No fighting or weaponry inside the venue. Throwing controllers or acting in a way that could pose a danger to other players will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
  • No refusal to play on certain TVs or setups will be tolerated barring extreme circumstances. All players agree to have their matches recorded if requested by the TO.
  • Be on time to your match. You have 5 minutes from when it's called to be at your station or you forfeit the first game. If you are 10 minutes late you forfeit the match and are either out or in losers.
Collusion (Pot splitting, bracket rigging, etc)
I don't tolerate collusion of any kind. I don't want to hear it. I don't want to see it. I don't make money off this event. I give up my Saturday to run this event. I do this because I want the San Antonio and surrounding scenes to have another tournament to go to. If you are strapped for time come talk to me. We can work something out.

In the case that 2 or more placing players are caught colluding, prize money will be redistributed to the next qualifying tier of players. This will be a pain for everyone involved. Don't do this.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Instead of banning Miis couldn't you enforce the guest Miis already found on the system instead? That way their weight and speed are standardize. Just a thought.

Funcrazyfish

Smash Cadet
Zhea, based on my experience, there are very few viable stages. Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, maybe Arena Ferox (Kinda like Pokemon Stadium from Melee, but might be too big), maybe the Tomodachi Life stage (Again, quite large and very close to the upper blast zone on the top platform), maybe Lumiose City (Like Delfino Plaza in brawl, but much better), and the Omega Form stages are the only ones that come to mind as competitively viable.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Any particular reason? Do certain characters make stages unviable? Both melee and brawl had transformation stages legal until certain top tiers abused them out of existence.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I have a question. why are FD variants covered in one ban while excluding the original FD? That would mean that FD is guaranteed to be a counterpickable stage no matter what.

Zhea

Smash Ace
There aren't a ton of stages atm. FD variants are waaay more volatile in my opinion(some are tiny and some are huuuuuuuuuge rochester huuuuuuuuuuuuge). at the moment I think there is more reasons to pick an FD variant then just a flat stage, which makes it a different stage. This isn't that different from the Yoshi/PS dilemma vs fox in Melee.

That being said I am SUPER OPEN to allowing transformation stages on the list as CPs which would let me cover it in 1 ban. My only criteria is:

A) The transformation has a set order(ala rainbow cruise) that rewards learning the level(low randomness factor)
B) The stage does not over centralize play to a hand full of characters (ala rainbow cruise/hyrule/KJ64 with run away Fox).

These were always the main criteria in past iterations and that shouldn't change now.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
oh. so basically, ban standard FD for a chance at a smaller/bigger FD. Ban smaller/bigger FD for a chance at standard FD.
this ruleset is weird. ok then. It will all expand/level out in due time anyways.

Another note: I probably won't start competing in smash 4 until WiiU version comes out. So I'll just be pitching ideas and trying out suggestions (and playing friendlies).

Last edited:

Zhea

Smash Ace
It's worth noting that a 3DS is REQUIRED for this event as we are running a swiss bracket. If you show up without one or plan to share one, you'll not be eligible to enter.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I think there should only be certain FD variants that can be picked, because some of the variants have really weird ass blast zones. Like how the balloon fight stage has a really low bottom zone but an extremely high top zone.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
i vote doubles

I also think jungle japes and rainbow road are fine for counter picks. Jungles japes is just like a really low floor and rainbow road never changes and the hazards are super avoidable

Zhea

Smash Ace
will this be streamed/recorded?
As far as I know Ultra doesn't have the equipment necessary to stream a 3D's tournament. So no if that is true otherwise they will.

Also again SUPER IMPORTANT THAT YOU BRING YOUR OWN 3DS AND COPY OF SMASH!

I want to run this tourney swiss style.

Last edited:

Zhea

Smash Ace
Double Post because this is an important update:

Ultra has upped their venue price to $8 a head. This isn't just for the tournament or just for that day. They expanded and added way more classics games and have thus upped their price. This isn't negotiable.

However this comes with some good news as well! We will be using the TGC rule set and doubles has been added to the schedule! That means 3 stock 7 minute matches, Mii's Legal and Custom Moves Legal(not equipment). I hope this helps offset the increase in Venue Price. Hope to see you on Saturday!

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
False alarm. I talked with the owner and tournaments will still be $5 for venue.
Will there be monster energy drinks? Just asking because I know outside food/drink isn't allowed and the past few times I've gone there haven't been any.

Top Bottom