• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 29, 2014] Smash Weekend @ Gamers Room: Wii U & Project M (Concord, NC)

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
What's up guys back again to promote the now bi-weekly event at the Gamers Room. That's right I am now going to be hosting 2 tourneys a month up here starting next month. Also some more good news I got Saturday back, I personally am very happy about that! As always please bring CRTs we really need them unless you guys want to play on the big, laggy HDTVs...which nobody does.
So since I now have 2 weekends to work with now I will be splitting up the games played at the events. The 2nd weekend of each month will always be the normal PM/Melee we have always done. However the last weekend will be alternating between WiiU/PM and WiiU/Melee. Of course, there will usually be a side event that can be pretty much anything from 3DS, Smash 64, Doubles, Turbo, Melee Low Tier, or anything else you guys can think of.

Smashboards Rankings:
Brackets have been posted to the rankings here on Smashboards and are right now still going through the approval process. Links to each of the brackets can be found below be sure to go on there and claim your place and get your points to be added into the rankings. Also, please let me know which characters you used I can remember most of the Project M character choices but for the other events unless I really know you I won't know who you were using. Sorry it took so long to do this I don't know why but it just slipped my mind.

YouTube Channel:
Our new YouTube and Twitch channel is up. The release of Smash 4 (and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire for me at least) has kinda taken a lot of time and the videos from last event have kinda been on the back burner, sorry. Besides honestly they aren't the best quality but nonetheless I will try to get them all up before Saturday.

Project M Ruleset:

For everything except the stage selection we use the Apex 2014 ruleset, including character selection and stage striking. However, we will be using a new stage list I've been working on with other TO's in the region. Since the Apex site no longer has the rules up here's the pastebin if you are unfamiliar: PROJECT M RULESET

Project M Stage List:
Like I said already this is a stage list I've been working on other TO's in NC. We're trying to setup a standardized list for all events in the area so we keep down the confusion. Only deviations from this list we've considered so far is Green Hill Zone swapping with Yoshi's Story as a Starter, and Distant Planet being swapped out for Skyworld.

Green-Starter/Neutral Stages
These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Yoshi's Story
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Smashville
-Battlefield
-Dreamland 64

Yellow-Counter Pick Stages
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc.
-Final Destination
-Distant Planet
-Green Hill Zone
-Fountain Of Dreams
-Norfair

Red-Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory.
-Everything on Page 2
However, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Rainbow Cruise and you agreed to it.

Melee Ruleset:
Melee functions off of the same Apex ruleset. I have no problem with this and never will consider any changes. Again I will post the rules here in case you are unfamiliar since the Apex rulesets aren't up yet: MELEE RULESET

Melee Stage List
There is no changes and I don't foresee there ever being any.

Starters/Neutrals:
These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Yoshi’s Story
-Fountain of Dreams
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Dream Land

Counterpick:
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
-Pokemon Stadium

Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory.
-Don't feel like typing them all so let's just say everything else
However, again, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Poke Floats and you agreed to it.

Smash for Wii U Ruleset:

Since this games metagame is pretty much in its infancy I don't really feel very comfortable putting too much here. I will continuously update this as more information comes in and the metagame evolves. Despite all that I do have a few things to put out there now, most of these rules are just generic anyway.

* 3 stock, 8 minutes.
* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
* Items set to “off” and “none.”
* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.
* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.
* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.
* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.
* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc.
* Custom character MOVESETS are allowed, but no Equipment. Mii characters are allowed for now but again no equipment applied only moveset changes

Stage List:
The stage selection for Smash 4 is fairly limited so I'm making due with what there is. With a stage selection of 5 Starters and 7 Counter-picks I feel this is a fairly good selection of stages. This allows for 1-2-1 starter striking and 3 counter-pick bans. If you plan on offering your system for tournament use PLEASE have all stages and characters unlocked.

Starters:
Available on round 1 and every other round after that
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Gaur Plains Omega (Takes the place of standard Final Destination)
-Wily Castle Omega
-Town and City

Counter-Picks:
Only available after round 1 and can be selected by the loser
-Halberd
-Lylat
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Duck Hunt
-Omega Stages (If your opponent bans one Omega stage besides Guar Plains or Wily Castle all Omega
stages are banned for your counter-pick)
-Kongo Jungle 64

Custom Movesets:
All character custom movesets are allowed in any configuration you want. However, you must inform your opponent of any changes to your special moves if they ask. You do not have to go into detail on what the move does just inform them what you have changed. For example: I am playing Samus, I select a custom moveset, my opponent asks what changes I have, I will tell him/her: (You can also just simply show your opponent the bottom screen of the specials selection as well)
Standard 2-Dense Charge Shot
Side 2-Relentless Missle
Up 1-Screw Attack
Down 2-Slip Bomb
Any other information you wish to put out there is up to you. I suggest we all educate ourselves on the custom moves.

Something else important with a custom moveset selection. It will be treated the same as a character selection:
Round 1: Double blind option or just sit down select and play
Round 2+: Loser selects stage choice>Winner selects character and moveset>Loser selects character and
moveset
Thanks to the connectivity between the 3DS and the Wii U you may connect and transfer your custom movesets to the system. Be sure you have your custom movesets prepared before starting your set and transfer all that you want before you start. Once the set has started you cannot connect your 3DS again to transfer alternate movesets. If you do not have a 3DS or all your desired customs unlocked on your cartridge you can get with me BEFORE your set starts and make a custom moveset using my 3DS since I have all customs unlocked.

Custom Equipment:
No custom equipment will be allowed. These things change like attack power, weight and speed of the character. Since the options are so vast and there really would be no way to prepare yourself for every option available it is best to outright ban it all. Sorry if you like your equipment but it can and does alter the way the game functions so no luck. This does not include the hats or outfits on the Mii Fighters since that's a separate option entirely and changes nothing about the characters attributes.

Mii Fighters:
For now, Mii Fighters are available to be played. I know there is a lot of things you can do with the size of your Mii and stuff that actually effect how it will perform but as far as I can tell these are minute changes. Similar to custom movesets, if your opponent asks to see your move selections simply tell them or show them the bottom screen of your special moves selection. Again no equipment allowed on your Mii Fighters.

Project M Character Model/Texture Hacks:
Texture hacks are allowed upon request, if you have a certain texture you like just let me know and I can install it for you. Previously I have been completely against model hacks of any kind. However, seeing all these new alternate costumes in Project M 3.5 I don't think it's out of the question to throw a few in just for fun. Of course, nothing too extreme only changes that are more of an extension of the character themselves. For example this is my personal Phazon Suit Samus skin (screw that ugly Light Suit!)

Music:
I love having custom music over my stages. For example one of my favorites is City Escape, a track that should have been in the game to begin with. If you have any requests for stage music just let me know and I will put it on. Yes Travis I know we need to work on combining our music packs.

Money Stuff:

Venue Fee-$5
-Unfortunately, they won't let me offer any special for bringing a setup. Sorry guys but if we can boost the attendance I'm sure I can get that back.

Event Fee-$5 per tournament entry
-$5 will go into the pot for each event you enter. Active events are available for Project M, Melee, and Smash for 3DS, and a side event that I will have people vote on. (I know a lot of people were wanting another PM teams tourney so if that's what your into show up and vote for it)

The Payout-Top 3 of each event get a percentage of that pot
-1st-60%
-2nd-30%
-3rd-10%

Final Words:
If you are in the Charlotte/Concord, or even NC area in general, come on out, have some fun, and enjoy playing some smash. If anyone was there and wants to give me any constructive criticism please let me know. I am all ears and I want to make these tournaments the best possible experience for you guys.

If you have any questions or need any information feel free to messages me on Smashboards, follow Gamer's Room onFacebook or Twitter, or check out their website.

Last edited:

Chaoslink

Smash Cadet
NNID
chaosl1nk
I heard you guys were gonna start doing parties only starting on the 1st of November, is this true? Just trying to confirm this for myself to make sure I'm not being mislead

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
Is there a schedule? Also, this week is just PM and Smash 4 Wii U?

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
i'm so pumped for this one. must train with the ****ty new 3.5 squirtle!
IKR, Squirtle was one of the most nerfed characters in this version. I don't even really main him anymore, because most of my gameplay revolved about the Side B mindgames. I've actually switched over to Ganon, so I can still use my mindgames. I need to not go to this tourney because my physics grade is really bad, but I hope to play you again at some point.

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I'll be there most likely and will enter all events except smash 3ds, Smash 4 might be my favorite smash game but i'm not denying the fact smash on 3ds is abysmal. :bee:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
RANKINGS:
Rankings are up go claim your points, expect for Melee Low Tier I'm sorry but since it was Single Elimination it's considered Unranked. I'm sorry :(

Smash 64 Finalists
1st-Lucky Wind
2nd-F0G_Soul
3rd-XYLQ

#SAMUSMASTERRACE

Videos from the November PM tourney finally!!!

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
So since I don't want to keep you guys waiting too long to watch your sets we'll start uploading the full recordings first and then separate matches later. Enjoy Wii U will be uploaded tonight.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman

Melee videos finally up!!!​
lol, sorry I wasn't able to go to this one, had a bunch of stuff goin on, BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS I AM TAKING DRIVERS ED SO NOT TOO LONG FROM NOW I CAN DRIVE MYSELF TO THESE EVENTS :D :D :D :D :D Also btw I think I can make the next one. Lets just hope it's a Saturday or... you know what

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
How often are there events in this part of NC? Trying to attend events that happen to be within 2hrs of me.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
How often are there events in this part of NC? Trying to attend events that happen to be within 2hrs of me.
I'm taking December off from hosting events but in January I'll be starting up a new tournament series in the Charlotte area for the people around the UNCC area. I know there's usually a monthly/bi-monthly (it's not really on any set schedule) at UNCC and I think the next one will be in January.

Until then I'll be going to Fayettnam 6 (https://www.facebook.com/events/759652050789058/) and maybe one of the Geeksboro events (http://smashboards.com/threads/dec-...resent-gkso-greensboro-north-carolina.374293/) so yeah there's a few other options. Hopefully I can see you whenever I start back up in January.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom