• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not feeling 2.5 sonic

Tero.

Smash Champion
I think he can be good, but I don't think it will be enough for Top Tier.
There are quite a few characters able to edgeguard and kill better than Sonic. He misses something like throw to kill (like Fox, Falcon) and he can't throw killing moves around without fear of getting punished (Sheik)

Campy hit and run Sonic will be pretty gay tho

:phone:

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
It's possible he can be top, more likely high tier tho. Sonic does have some pretty good kill set ups and his gimp game seems to still be potent. Also, people will have to respect sonic's killing power more now. Simply because he is one of a few characters who is fast enough to possibly punish anything that you do.

Only time will tell, I do believe he's now a very solid character. He seems like a Jack of all trades but doesn't extremely excel at all of them.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Sonic isn't supposed to trade, which you prolly already know/figured, so priority isn't that big a deal (though his priority now compared to 2.1 is a great step up). I did notice however, sonic can out reach a few characters (with bair, uair and fair if spaced right) so that he doesn't have to trade, or is fast enough to get to the openings where a characters hurt box is. As far as defense, I haven't really noticed a problem with it. Can u explain a bit on that GHNeko?

On the flip side, he seems to be combined kind of easy by characters with a lot of attacks that launch you in the air. He also falls kind of slow, which is kind of wierd.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Outside his normals, all of his offensive specials are terribly easy to either clank/beat out on the ground, or beat out/trade in air.

The part that sucks about this is that Sonic's primary strategies and offenses rely on his spin moves, and are complimented by normals. So to start **** up, you generally have to spin, and it's easy to stop that. And if Sonic trades, it's rarely in his favor.

I mean he can grab, sure, but he has the worst grab range in the roster, so it's not terribly hard to stop him from grabbing you.

This is why when you fight characters like Peach, Zelda, or other high high priority characters, you're not supposed to rely on your spins, but rather even up the priority battles by playing a far more patient game based off your normals since they have significantly more priority. You're supposed to use your aerials, your tilts, fsmash, and dsmash.

That's not to say you shouldnt uses specials, but the usage has to be significantly less.

At least, that's how i see it.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
I can definitely agree with you there, tho I don't thing you have to drastically cut your special usage, but definitely more sparingly/efficiently.

For me, you can use your specials more for baiting those characters to open up an opportunity to punish with those normals. I found blast attack usefull for these matches due to its quick activation after a missed attack. Doing so can lead into a couple spin moves but I think sonics definitely shouldn't get greedy and try to extend them for to long.

Edit:

What are your thoughts on that? I also found sonics general speed good for baiting since I think most people will try to react before you get to them so you can skip the special lead at times depending on the situation and opponent/character.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Sonic although I don't like the changes because I can't **** people with 1 button, fits the meleeness way better now.

Changes I would make:
UTilt - it's hit boxes are very awkward and slow - would change to behave a little bit more like link's.
UAir- it seems like the UAir is trying to be like foxes but just a tad different but the hit boxes again are pretty awkward - keep the animation but just give a more vertical hit like fox/falco.
Neutral B - give it's speed back from 2.1 just to make it that little bit more useful and dangerous.
Uthrow - this one depends on if you hate chaingrabs or not but giving it that little bit more KB would open to more chaingrab combos which i'm not really to fussed about however it seems logical that a character known for being so fast should be able to throw and re-grab his opponent a few times.

But yeah that just based on what I have played so far and without his super easy crazy mixups in 2.1 I think although playable still, 2.5 makes him a much worse character but a few tweaks and he'll be again an annoying ******* of a character.

Top Bottom