• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nosferatu for tomes

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else spam this move just for they can get the tome? Haha. I feel like getting one at the start of the match where both players are low in % is very handy

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Anyone else spam this move just for they can get the tome? Haha. I feel like getting one at the start of the match where both players are low in % is very handy
You're not the only one - if I feel Nos doesn't currently benefit me (Usually in range games. -or against characters with absorbers where I can bait a tome throw with an energy projectile for a kill.), I'll sometimes use free time to throw out Nos just for the tome. I actually use it late in the game, rather than early, since the tome kills - and Nos is actually a really useful damage building and game extending move. The tome also takes forever to respawn, so TBH unless you're dying for a tome, I'd save it.

If you're really needing a throwable though, I'd just say spam Levin attacks - that thing is only gone for 6 seconds, same with your Wind Tome, and has no real defensive downsides outside having to put up with the Bronze Sword's lesser range for airs.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Nosferatu's uses shine most when you need an aerial grab and your opponent is relying on shield in attempt to counter your approach. From my experience at least.

It's beneficial to be unpredictable as Robin, since not many know his/her moveset and just see them as a slow, projectile spammer and that is it.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I never do this, even though I see experienced Robins do it. I would always rather have Nosferatu, even at low % it has reasonable damage, and it is sometimes the most tactically effective move to use. Tomes for throwing are nice but you'll get enough of them as it is.

Aein

Smash Cadet
NNID
vesferi
Whenever I go to Sudden Death on FG because I'm facing a campy/spam player, I use up nosferatu for the tome, charge up elthunder, and play some mindgames. xD

In a real fight though, I'd rather have nosferatu available. Maybe If I've got 1 use left, I might decide to use it up for the tome and kickstart the long recharge time. Or try to catch my opponent off guard with tome eject setups. Like doing an empty reverse nosferatu to bait an enemy behind you, letting them get hit by the tome eject and follow up with bair or something.

I don't really find using up nosferatu for the tome useful otherwise. It's a laggy move and risking it in battle just for an item to throw isn't very good. You could be charging thunder during the same time. Plus, since you'll get a natural feel for when your other tomes are going to drop you're going to have a bunch of them ready to throw throughout the battle anyway.

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Depends on the battle.
I usually prefer to keep it in case the opportunity to take advantage of it arises.

I have done it before, though, but it's not exactly a strategy I'd use often. It's nice for mixups or shield break setups, I suppose.

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
I mean, I would rather waste my other tomes to be honest, I would rather be out of a special move for max like 8 seconds, than be out one for like 40. Taking the first stock and then landing a Nos is like, one of the most game changing things in smash.

iDaire

Smash Cadet
NNID
iDaire
Nosferatu has a lot of ending lag and as a result, I'd never find time to empty all of them and pick up the book all at the same time or in a consecutive nature. Besides, books only do 18% worth of damage, whereas nosferatu has the potential to do >60%. Why would I want to lose a potential option just for one projectile when I could simply use other projectiles? Maybe if we were both at high percents and I feel like the opponent is playing a character that moves across the stage and dominates too easily, then I might just need that book, but virtually, no where else.

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
I mean, I would rather waste my other tomes to be honest, I would rather be out of a special move for max like 8 seconds, than be out one for like 40. Taking the first stock and then landing a Nos is like, one of the most game changing things in smash.
Exactly. If I need a tome (say to KO) I rather spam some well-spaced arcfires and apply some pressure while doing that.

Nos is situational and dangerous to use but with a high pay-off. When it is gone it is basically gone for the rest of the stock. You can't wait it out like the other tomes. I'd rather not lose that pontential just to aquire something that I will automatically get just by playing normally.

Cornbrd

Smash Cadet
Just came here from labbing Robin to see if a thread like this was already made...

I like to start the match Nosferatu 2-3 times and once they get to around 30% I actually get the tome and try to combo with it.

Tome combos are actually vital to Robin's meta game imo. Found out throwing it down at them can combo Arc Thunder, Pk Fire, Dair, etc. some amazing stuff can come out of them if you're creative.

gemigumi

Formerly gemininoiser
I don't really like to go for Nos unless I feel fairly confident that it will hit. I also don't really go for it much if I don't have a percent deficit, as there isn't a very large gain off of it.

Missing a Nos is a really bad thing to do so it's very situational. I don't really burn through a Nos in any games, unless I'm intentionally trying to drop it. At most times in game it's a high risk lowish reward option.

Since I'll only use it maybe one or two times, I find it useful to waste one or two uses, so I am still able to Nos people, but I also have quick access to a book at any time.

Landing a Nos when you're at a high percent IS game changing, but I feel missing a chance to kill, which perhaps could've easily been remedied by having a book, could also be problematic. Not that Robin is lacking kill options or anything though.

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
Don't forget that Nos is still a command grab. Regardless of if you only heal/deal a few percent it does counter shields. FF->Nos on a shielding opponent is not as risky as it would seem (granted, you still have to watch out for the spotdodge).

Top Bottom