• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
We could do just Brawl and Melee singles. As much as I love Melee doubles, well... there have been times where only like eight teams sign up and... yea...

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
well im pretty sure my opinion has no influence on this matter so y not say it lol

1. srry ninja but u would be kinda whack to put hella hype on bringing ncb's back, busting ur balls to own this thread jus to cancel it, i mean regardless wut tourney it is u should still do it on the 3rd jus cuz if u dont u pretty much wasted ur time and our time putting hella emphasis on something that wont happen

2.thats was a long a$$ post i wanna a POST not a NOVEL k shakespear?

nah im stupid my opinion really dont matter but yea...........i think im done now

abra kadabra- **disapears**

sidefx

Smash Champion
i vote for melee/brawl singles. that should satisfy everyone. or do what vans said, and vote with a show of hands at the tourny.

SuperRad

Smash Master
originally my opinion was that nick should bend to the will of the people.
but right now, i don't give a ****. if he decides not to host them, then it's not going to be any different then it has been for the past 4+ months (12/15/07 was the NUB).

if theres one on the 25th i might go, otherwise it probably wont be till summer that i'll make it out to one of these. guess it doesnt matter much what i think then :)

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
If you're trying to please everyone you're just being naive. But you said yourself you're hosting these because YOU want to see Melee...so I don't get why you care that people are going to dislike your decision. You're right that you're going to have people that disagree with you no matter what you do. Live with it or run away from it. YOU have the final decision and nobody can tell you to do otherwise. But that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it. Nobody wants NOTHING to happen though, I can tell you that much.

If you want my honest recommendation, I would have it setup like this:

Anyone who wants to play Melee OR Brawl shows up. Registration for ALL tournaments is OVER AT 12. DON'T FU
CKING BE LATE. It's noon, not 8 AM. There is no reason why you can't be there at noon, or register by calling a TO if you're going to be late. But if your name is not on a piece of paper by 12, you're not in the tourney.

Based on demand, the TO's will make a schedule. I propose a rule saying you can only enter TWO events. What I would do in practice is have people list 1, 2, 3, 4 on their preference of what tourney to enter. We need to know how many people want to enter each tournament BEFORE we do anything. Like BTZO said, this is just going to have to be an experimental biweekly.

As far as time management, I have a few ideas. Probably what will happen is that we'll run the first few rounds of a tourney, and then when the number of matches to play is fewer than the number of TV's, we'll start another one, and when that one only has a few matches left, we'll run the last few rounds of those two tourneys together. This is a way to make sure we are maximizing TV usage, since often the last 1/3 or so of the tourney rounds have fewer than 8 sets going on at once and so there are TV's unused for tourney purposes.

I have a ridiculous amount of homework this week so I don't have time to work out all the details right now. However...if we impose the TWO event per person rule, I think maybe we can run all four. Depending on tournout this could be extended to 3 or 4.

Incidentally the people who you talked to are 5 Baysians, a person who practices with a Baysian, some Mexican, and Zoap. If you think that's representative, then you just don't know the community.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
honestly homemadewaffles, you pretty much just said exactly how i feel. i dont want to cancel because i've put effort in to this, and i want it to happen. i want to smash with my friends again, i love melee, and i might even play a few games of brawl too just because why not.

i REALLY dont want to give up melee doubles, but it seems like it may have to happen. i'll sleep on it.

thank you for posting reasonably and without bashing anyone boback...it would be great if this would start happening in all your posts.

sheridan if you think that we can get all 3 events in, thats great.

i would like to clarify that i never really meant to have 4 events, thats crazy. 4 events means no one gets to friendly.

the reason i mentioned multiple baysians is because i got multiple responses. SS was one of the "would probably show up either way". nemesis prefers brawl now. zoap confuses me, but i think he prefers brawl. BTZO doesnt seem to prefer either. lunin and myko are pro melee. i wasnt representing an even spread population wise, i was representing an even spread response wise (as in, here are a bunch of people who all had different opinions) sorry if that wasnt clear.

im willing to help make these work. i may not be an expert, but i've been to a fair number of small tourneys, hosted a few small tourneys, and run a couple small brackets. the only reason i dont suggest myself being a TO is that im not a very respected member of this community. i am willing to help out though, and i mean more than just getting the TVs in the room and cleaning up. you've been to my SUNH events, i really dont end up having enough time to play much smash at those.

and i realize its futile to make everyone happy. i cant. what i can do is make more people happy. you may forget that ive got friends in this community to, and on both sides of the melee vs. brawl "war"...

sidefx

Smash Champion
melee doubles shouldnt happen.. no one ever signs up for it, and no one serious is going to participate, except for a select few, which shouldnt merit a full blown event for it. but well see at the tourny who enters..

as far as my priority list is concerned.

1. Brawl singles
2. Brawl Doubles
3. Melee Singles.
4. Melee doubles

i like the idea of only being able to join 2, cause this is going to get ridiculous with the amount of people that are going to show up.

what id like to point out though, is that we should do brawl first, solely based on the fact that playing melee before brawl, will **** you up so hard.. but i think playing the other way around is much easier to adapt to.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
im not gonna be picky about what order the events are played in. if people agree that brawl should be played first, thats fine with me really. i'll sorta leave that up to the TOs.

if people really arnt going to sign up for melee doubles...well...
but i really do want to give it a chance. so yeah i suggest we do brawl singles first at noon, then melee doubles when brawl singles is winding down (no one should want to watch the last matches, right sheridan?) just start melee doubles.

if theres going to be a single didget number of melee teams then there just isnt much to be done about it.

Zoap

Smash Master
Everyone was making such long posts I thought I should go ahead and jump on in.

Myko said:
SUCK

MY

BRAWLS

LOPKLOPKOP
LO{
KO
KO{
KO{
KO{
KOP
KL
L
L
L{
KLO
K OP
!$K OP
$ KL!O
:$LO K$L !

The only thing i've been doing recently is playing

M
E
L
E
E

I dont even care if it's not going to be in tourneys or not or discontinued.

Ima play it until everyone realizes it's time to get back into the game.

GG AND EVERYONE VOTE FOR DBR video on MLG video showcase area.

Listen to SFXXX :p
Hi myko long time no see, melee is good but that dbr video i dunno :)

Sidefx said:
hey guys, you should all go and vote for our video that is up on MLGpro.com
Voted for the yoshi, I think if the intro was better i may of voted for dbr, but it looked too much like windows movie maker styles.

petoo0 said:
melee doubles is probably 5000 times more exciting than brawl singles.
not that i don't like brawl but yeahhhhh
I was good in melee doubles but im better in brawl singles : /

whiteboyninja said:
um i actually really disagree with whoever said 95% of brawl haters play fox or falco. i dont, and almost none of my non competitive smasher friends who hate brawl play fox or falco as a main
I said it, and its pretty much true.

Sidefx said:
oh and also, from what i hear, all you did was msg zhu and ask him what he wanted
But Zhu is always right!! I mean Jeff so camps his falco on FD :)

pockyd said:
brawl isn't fun to watch =[
i know i'm not all about driving an hour just to watch a few melee matches
...and boback wonders why i don't know you.

whiteboyninja said:
THIS IS A MELEE TOURNEY!!!!!!! unfortunatly i dont have the time to scan through this for errors or poorly worded things that may sound mean or whatever, so please dont flame me for seeming upset. im not upset, just a little frustrated.
Melee fans get so angry. Nice john at the end :)

SideFX said:
since when have i ever f'ing talked to you about your f'ing biweekly? this is the first time i even posted on the subject, and now youre accusing me of PRESSURING you into brawl? go *** yourself.
Calm down Boback, you need some happy birthdays most definitely

NeighborhoodP said:
BTW, the only reason Brawl gets so many more attendees than Melee is because so many old Melee players play Brawl just because social norms dictate that if you want to go to tournaments.
I usually skip most of your posts

miztik said:
dont know if you guys care but i believe this will be fine will both events
No we don't care but thanks for posting anyways.

Hyuga said:
I do the same thing all the time, have is inferior to of.

ender said:
Emotional responses like this is why no one wants to talk top neighborhoodP, and his trolling has so much finality whenever he's trolling about Melee. Stop killing any chance of any sort of productivity; seriously, if I was NeighborhoodP, I would've happily gave in to my spite (who doesn't love spite?) and just called the whole thing off.
Ender don't do it, you don't have to do it.

Prodigykid said:
I wonder why someone that doesnt want to discuss Brawl V Melee and thinks its dumb , somehow comes into every thread that mentions it and flames those who support the other game, even when its not his business.
Probably the same reason people who don't talk politics still vote. Their 18 and what else the **** they got to do.

BTZO said:
You guys know Sheridan doesn't put up with that though, and I won't either considering the amount of events we are having.
We all know Sheridan is a big softie. Just poke him and you'll see

Lucien said:
**** it lets make it smash 64 singles and doubles.
At least Wario and Diddy wouldn't have to say, "Where's Isai?!?"

whiteboyninja said:
well i no longer see any good options for myself. i dont want to host anything anymore, but it seems like no matter where i go im gonna end up the bad guy here.
emo...

whiteboyninja said:
zoap was the one who told me he can host both brawl and melee at the same time the people i did talk to were like lunin, SS, zhu, nemesis, myko, ian, BTZO, zoap, theres a pretty even spread here
I can do both at the same time jeez.

whiteboyninja said:
zoap and sheridan said only if theres brawl events so i said ok, if you can fit one in by all means.
You dropped my name a lot in this post I dun think I like it :mad:

as i stated before, i based my scheduling on what zoap told me.
Well no duh! Zoap is too good why not listen to him.

Zhu said:
We could do just Brawl and Melee singles. As much as I love Melee doubles, well... there have been times where only like eight teams sign up and... yea...
Yea lets listen to Zhu! He gets camped by Falcon as Falco on FD :) :laugh::chuckle::psycho:

Gimpyfish62" said:
just stopping by to say whoever labelled these as "Occasionallies" is a genius and that person is my hero.
I wonder what your youtube fans have to say about this...

Vans said:
loL boback

y cant we just decide on saturday with a raise of hands? =P
Democracy is dumb. Dictatorships work out much better.

HomemadeWafflez said:
well im pretty sure my opinion has no influence on this matter so y not say it lol
You modesto kids still haven't learned :( I still gots your pillow lol

SideFx said:
i vote for melee/brawl singles. that should satisfy everyone. or do what vans said, and vote with a show of hands at the tourny.
Your ineligible to vote. Need to wait for your 21st birthday Boback.

="Lucien"]I agree with boback lets just do melee and brawl singles. I would enter both.
So much for Wario and Diddy search ending :sigh:

Hyuga said:
Anyone who wants to play Melee OR Brawl shows up. Registration for ALL tournaments is OVER AT 12. DON'T BE ****ING LATE.It's noon, not 8 AM.
Thank god for that, I cant even make noon tournaments half the time.

Based on demand, the TO's will make a schedule. I propose a rule saying you can only enter TWO events. What I would do in practice is have people list 1, 2, 3, 4 on their preference of what tourney to enter. We need to know how many people want to enter each tournament BEFORE we do anything. Like BTZO said, this is just going to have to be an experimental biweekly.
Good idea, I whole heartedly agree.

As far as time management, I have a few ideas. Probably what will happen is that we'll run the first few rounds of a tourney, and then when the number of matches to play is fewer than the number of TV's, we'll start another one, and when that one only has a few matches left, we'll run the last few rounds of those two tourneys together. This is a way to make sure we are maximizing TV usage, since often the last 1/3 or so of the tourney rounds have fewer than 8 sets going on at once and so there are TV's unused for tourney purposes.
Another good plan, your on a roll!

Incidentally the people who you talked to are 5 Baysians, a person who practices with a Baysian, some Mexican, and Zoap. If you think that's representative, then you just don't know the community.
I am the community. I thought you understood this by now. You were doing so well Sheridan :(.

whiteboyninja said:
zoap confuses me, but i think he prefers brawl.
Whats so confusing?

SideFx said:
what id like to point out though, is that we should do brawl first, solely based on the fact that playing melee before brawl, will **** you up so hard.. but i think playing the other way around is much easier to adapt to.
I think Melee singles, Brawl Doubles, Melee Doubles and Brawl Singles would be best.

Phil 07 said:
no one wants to play brawl! ****
Just for this were gonna play all brawl on tuesday. Look what you made me do Phil.

The King

Smash Ace
Zoap's post was so epic, I threw up in my mouth a little bit just from reading it.

**** I'm probably going to come to this one. What's the ruleset going to be? And what was the entry fee again, $6?

King Out

WassupJB

Smash Lord
lol i hear rumors of you going to everything. sfsu, captiol brawl...lol. show up bro!

edit: oh and zoap...that post was absolutely ridiculous. show up to dvc on wednesday!

debaser

Smash Lord
don't give in to the whole "you should focus on brawl because it would get a higher turnout" argument. that's exactly how the game is perpetuating itself and displacing melee. make it melee if that's really what you want to do, there's no shortage of brawl tournaments for brawl players out there

sidefx

Smash Champion
actually.. there ARE no brawl tournaments.. if you havent noticed.. the only brawl tournaments there are are being called off mid tournament due to lack of time management. actually.. there are a huge lack of tournaments in general.. which im stating right, once i find a venue.. im going to start biweeklies that everyone should go to.

and i understand frotaz, its all good

debaser

Smash Lord
no brawl tournaments. hm. I guess you should check again?

then again I'm from Oregon where a tournament happens once every few months, so I guess we have different perspectives.

Serendipity

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone! i havent been here for a while. I just wanted to say....

Come on guys...brawl is hella fun... LOLOL not! hai sheridan and boback...love u both really! boback, u have to love me back cause u know why. sheridan doesnt have to tho haha :(

brawl isnt fun to watch and all i've been doing is playing melee and cracking up like a mutherfracklinger
everyone still has to vote for DBR's vid tho cause it was hella sexy.

XDDDD im not trying to convert anyoneeee to playing melee if u guys like brawl... i just really love to play melee still. Yeah i own brawl. YEAH i waited out for the midnight release YEAH i've played hella good ppl. No georgie im not gonna hop on that bandwagon with u. NO its not cause i suck at it....Yes subspace is very amusing

Yeah its cool i know im livin in the past. But if its wat i hella love then why not just let me. Me and nick just wanted to make it an invite tourney only at one point

Now...that isnt fun>.>
hella ppl+ epic matches= hella fun. Addicted to epic. (i falcon punched my friend off the stage in melee and we paused and laughed for like 6 minutes...anyway)

where is zhus sexy *** falco (that asian a$$ techskill)
jeffs MJ of a falcon that is more epic that anyone i know
King u are my idol. u got me into jiggly
Phil we better play! cause it was hella funny at Minhs house haha me u zhu and zel. that was our mutherfcken tv.

I thirst for epic and melee is my water.

For me, brawl is like drinking jell-o, it just, doesnt really do et for me. U KNOW i've been playing more maplestory now that everyone just plays brawl. i'm level 67! i leveld like 15 times since brawl cause i was so depressed. 15 levels usually take me around a year lmfao.

i played melee cause it mades me laugh. simple as that. It still does more than anything. so...im gonna keep getting my laughs. WHO Skipped class to play?? HM? i hella did. im gonna flunk out of college, i thought to myself hving skipped AAS for the 4th time to play.

but yah i just wanted to rant cause yeah. see yall saturday and sht! it would be hella nice if we got ppl to come help us set up on sat cause its just gonna be me, nick and maybe glenn to help move sht around. LIKE its heavy shet LOL tables adn watnot. rounding up all the tv's. DAvid sumhow did it all byhimself without complaining ever (HOW) lol... props. the legend will return. But for now. It would be hella nice. if yall came and helped and prolly get friendlies in teh morn. .

ps dont eat at jack in the box. me, zel, boback and i think german got punched in the FACE pretty hard by that place one time.... .. ......

myko come back. LoLPOlLpoLO NOW f3

sidefx

Smash Champion
oh i know why.. indeeeed i do <3 the only way ill play melee, is if its falcon dittos on yoshi story, theyre still hella fun, or ganon dittos

Serendipity

Smash Journeyman
oh i know why.. indeeeed i do <3 the only way ill play melee, is if its falcon dittos on yoshi story, theyre still hella fun, or ganon dittos
I love falcon dittos! thats all i do these days!

hai frotaz! i think im still all of the above. maybe i've grown a bit, but its cause i havent been exercising. :p

Miztik

Smash Master
Zoap is too good......and your also a jerk for not caring lol jk zoap <33333333333333333333333333333

but i think you should do Brawl Singles, the Melee Singles, then if there is enough time... do either melee doubles or brawl doubles depending on what ppl prefer that are there at the biweeklie (well in this case Occasionallie)....

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
umm sheridan can you do me a favor and decide on a ruleset? being that i probably wont be playing in the brawl event, im not really going to force my views on how the game should be played on others. i'll put it on the front page.

for the melee singles, i suggest we just do the standard rules that we've been using in the past (without the random reset, just ban after characters are picked before the first match) unless theres any objections.

interesting formats such as swiss, pools, ect. are cool but lets not the first time.

for the may3rd biweekly, lets just do 2 events, i sorta slept on it. if i decide that the biweekly was just too boring or w/e, then i'll decide and maybe just take out brawl events or maybe go with sheridan's possiblity of having 3 events or let zoap do it. if the biweekly is all good, then i'll just leave it as doubles for both events. thanks for the insight zhu.

frotaz, whatever respect i had for you i just lost. your posts disgusted me.

i will enforce the entry fee of each event be SIX (6) dollars. one dollar from each entry fee will be taken to gamestop to buy the club new controllers. yes we have about 10 controllers. actually we have about 8 br ken controccers, and 2 things that sorta work as gamecube controllers.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
who the hell is pink shinobi..?
Let's just say he's pretty ridiculous. Overly technical / aggressive, rarely messes up edgeguarding... Just think Edreese, they play very similarly.

for the may3rd biweekly, lets just do 2 events, i sorta slept on it. if i decide that the biweekly was just too boring or w/e, then i'll decide and maybe just take out brawl events or maybe go with sheridan's possiblity of having 3 events or let zoap do it. if the biweekly is all good, then i'll just leave it as doubles for both events. thanks for the insight zhu.
Huh? Did I do something lol?

Top Bottom