• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

noob...ya i'm pretty bad

lethalpuma

Smash Rookie
So i just got my wii like 3 days ago and i picked up smash...and i love it only problem is i blow...now that being said i'd say im pretty much new to the smash world, i played the original smash for 64 but that was so long ago and even then i only played against friends and i know for a fact all we did was mash buttons until one of us was left standing....

i'm just looking for some helpful hints and tips from you smash veterans, i still dont even have all the characters unlocked lol, but i really would like to work on my game as to incorporate some of the more complex maneuvers and tactics, ultimately become more than a button masher

so how do you guys practice?...training room, online, with friends what? and what do you practice are there any basics principles that all you smash vets live and die by?

i'm a sponge fill me with your water of knowledge :chuckle:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well firstly, welcome to the world of Smash Bros! Most of us are hear to help, so don't mind the bullocks.

Now, to get started, you should probably unlock all of the characters, so you have the entire cast to train with, and against. I used to not have anyone to play with (and have never been a fan of Brawl's wifi), so I trained against level 9 computers. While that may help you get used to a challenge, a computer plays nothing like a human, so finding people that you can actually play with is very helpful if you want to progress so much more. Computers will never get better than level 9, but humans can surpass that standard.

Also, if you want to hone your skills with whatever character(s) you choose, try fighting with all items turned off. That way, you can get to know your character without the reliance on extraneous elements. Practice on every stage too - even the ones you hate. It's best to learn how to use your character on all types of stages, whether they be flatforms, or leveled.

lethalpuma

Smash Rookie
Well firstly, welcome to the world of Smash Bros! Most of us are hear to help, so don't mind the bullocks.

Now, to get started, you should probably unlock all of the characters, so you have the entire cast to train with, and against. I used to not have anyone to play with (and have never been a fan of Brawl's wifi), so I trained against level 9 computers. While that may help you get used to a challenge, a computer plays nothing like a human, so finding people that you can actually play with is very helpful if you want to progress so much more. Computers will never get better than level 9, but humans can surpass that standard.

Also, if you want to hone your skills with whatever character(s) you choose, try fighting with all items turned off. That way, you can get to know your character without the reliance on extraneous elements. Practice on every stage too - even the ones you hate. It's best to learn how to use your character on all types of stages, whether they be flatforms, or leveled.
first off thank you for the warm welcome :chuckle: i was definitely expecting (and still am some flaming) but that sounds like some pretty solid advice i'm working my way through the classic mode and trying to pick up the most amount of characters i can in a practical method (heard SSE takes too long???) so first i'm going to get through that then i'll definitely start trying out some of the stuff you've suggested

so far no characters are really jumping out at me as my favorites although i do enjoy playing with meta knight probably the most so far

Veggi

Smash Champion
first off thank you for the warm welcome :chuckle: i was definitely expecting (and still am some flaming) but that sounds like some pretty solid advice i'm working my way through the classic mode and trying to pick up the most amount of characters i can in a practical method (heard SSE takes too long???) so first i'm going to get through that then i'll definitely start trying out some of the stuff you've suggested

so far no characters are really jumping out at me as my favorites although i do enjoy playing with meta knight probably the most so far
Actually people call SSE character unlock mode because it unlocks characters so quickly.

lethalpuma

Smash Rookie
Actually people call SSE character unlock mode because it unlocks characters so quickly.
really?!...wow i was completely misinformed then...from what i got from others was stray away from SSE if you're looking to quickly unlock the characters...thats for the heads up i'll have to check it out now

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Yes, definitely do the Subspace Emissary. Many trophies/stickers for you to grab along the way as well.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
How you train depends on what your circumstances are. Right now, I don't live near anyone who plays Smash "seriously" except for my brother, so I use wifi a lot. Keep in mind that lag makes it significantly different from an offline game but IMO it's still good because you're still up against human opponents. Computers can't really emulate that.

If you do have people nearby then by all means go train with them. My next year of college I'm going to try to get in more friendly matches with the people at the tourneys there. Really, facing other people is one of the best ways to get better.

And once you unlock everyone, try people out. Don't be afraid to experiment. I remember, I picked Lucario just for kicks against my friend, and after that, he became one of my secondary characters. Play random a few times and see if you like what you get.

And most importantly, have fun with it. It's still a game. :)

lethalpuma

Smash Rookie
thanks for all the solid advice so far guys...i really appreciate it...ya i definitely wanna try out all the characters before i make any decisions, but i'm really looking forward to getting sonic (big sonic fan) so hopefully i'll play well with him

Meta Marth

Smash Apprentice
everybody's right about doing the SSE. i didn't unlock the characters that way 'cuz i wanted to unlock them the other way, no, not the versus matches. but yea, just try not to button mash and play with human players if possible. you can also get FC's of people who live in your region for chances of a better connection. i live in Ga., so if you live near there, i could help you out on your journey, seeing that i'm on that road too. :chuckle:

Scyther3176

Smash Apprentice
Another tip I would say is that if you train against lvl 9 CPU's they don't tend to punish you so easily after doing lag-heavy moves. Beacuse of this you can get into habits of using a move you really shouldn't use as much against a human player than a CPU. Take Bowser's Down B, Computer's don't dodget that too well and if you abuse this fact and whilst training you keeping using the Down B, it will become a habit. Against real players they will most likely dodge this and punish you accordingly. Just a heads up ^.^

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well, unlock everyone first then, try out and see who suits you best, then train with them so that you gain practice with them, then you'll be off to learning how to play the game effectively, but since you wanna play with Sonic I advise you to go to training mode once you unlock him then do what I just described

icicleblade

Smash Apprentice
Find a character that you're comfortable with, and experiment with them. Find out their weaknesses, strengths, etc. and try to use that to your advantage. Not much else to say, except practice practice practice.

Rambo23

Smash Rookie
just play around with the characters for starting pick Ike or Meta because they are easy to pick up characters. (don't be like me and pick Wario first)

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Advice? Don't listen to half the people that joined from February-March 2008. (Not all of them) But MOST, have NO CLUE.

(Oh, and pick up Melee.)

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
So i just got my wii like 3 days ago and i picked up smash...and i love it only problem is i blow...now that being said i'd say im pretty much new to the smash world, i played the original smash for 64 but that was so long ago and even then i only played against friends and i know for a fact all we did was mash buttons until one of us was left standing....

i'm just looking for some helpful hints and tips from you smash veterans, i still dont even have all the characters unlocked lol, but i really would like to work on my game as to incorporate some of the more complex maneuvers and tactics, ultimately become more than a button masher

so how do you guys practice?...training room, online, with friends what? and what do you practice are there any basics principles that all you smash vets live and die by?

i'm a sponge fill me with your water of knowledge :chuckle:
I'd recommend practicing pulling off moves in training mode first. Learn how to dodge roll (Z+side), how to air dodge (same thing but in the air), how to quick dodge (z+down) and practice other, similar more complex techniques. The Z button techniques were hardest for me, but after you've gotten the hang of them in training mode, they become easy. Start against low computer level opponents, and then work your way up until you're comfortable with doing most of the moves. Then practice against your friends and you should be able to master characters.

It's fairly easy to learn how to use B specials, but A button attacks are a bit different as well. If you tilt the analog stick and hit the a button, it has a different effect than if you press the analog stick hard in one direction and hit the a button. The latter usually results in smash moves; the former can result in faster moves with less knockback. This is not necessarily true for all characters. Ike's tilt a for example can be a powerful knockback move that's also fast. Knockback moves are generally what you want to use when your enemy has a high %. Before that though, you should use any move that you think your enemy won't expect. Spamming moves isn't a good idea in this game because if you keep using the same move over and over it will do less damage as time goes on. In addition, people will begin to anticipate what you are going to do. So it's good to change up your moves now and then.

Set the controls to something you're familiar with. If you use a gamecube controller, you can set b specials to the c stick, which makes them very easy to use on the fly; you just tilt the c stick on the direction of the special you want to use. The only drawback to this is that it may make neutral b moves harder to use. On the wii mote+nunchuk you can also set throws to the c button, although the best way to throw an enemy is to block, wait till they come close, and then quickly hit the a button. Another way to throw is to hit a and b at once.

Every character is different, so if you look on the character boards here, you should be able to find a good guide for the character of your choice. :)

billywill

Smash Journeyman
Definitely try out every character, last week I finally tried DDD (in-depthly) and found out I like his play style and am pretty good with him

Top Bottom