• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Non-Chaingrabbing wise, is Fox better than Falco?

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday me and my bro were having a whole bunch of matches and he played with Ness, Lucario, G&W, Yoshi, and Fox. Now i was using a rather malfunctioning controller ( Falco would keep moving forward whenever i would only tap it once in the direction) and when i was going against his Fox, and his Dair to U-tilt U tilt U tilt t follow up i.e. Grabs, Upsmash, etc. were pretty much getting the best of me.

Now i would like your thoughts on this match up, Aggressive Fox vs. a Calm yet annoyed Falco. Oh i also lost a few stocks due to my dumb controller Forward-Bing off the stage when i tried shooting a laser.

What I am asking is, how do you fight a Fox that does a whole bunch of Dair chains and typical fox things.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Falco wins many matches even without CGs. His SHDbl laser is hard to get around. Against fox I'd say it's good to use your reflector a lot. Fox hasn't many great approaches and Shine destroys them all

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Dair to uptilt should rarely connect.

Also Fox's Dair approach is insanely lacking in horizontal range.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
You can perfect shield Fox's Dair directly after being hit, so if done correctly Dair -> whatever won't work. Utilt is annoying but just DI out when you get around 30-40%. A smart Fox will utilt -> utilt -> usmash before you can DI out, in which case the only thing I can say is to avoid or shield dair to prevent being hit by usmash.

Running usmash is also common and effective. It comes out very fast so be wary of the move. Falco's aerial game > Fox's, so I don't have much to say there.

Spam lasers. If he goes to reflect be ready to punish. You can also fake him by shooting them just above the shine.

And I'm sure you already know one grab @ low % = screwed Fox.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday this was connecting alot. I don't know why though.

Also Fox's reflector is the fastest move in this game so he reflects the Lasers easily.

How else can i avoid the quick grab after the land of the Dair or the many U-tilts/Up Smash?

Edit: SpeedAce pretty much told me all i need so this post shouldn't be taken too seriously. Thanks man.

§witch

Smash Lord
Dair>jab>grab or just grab, and dair>AAA are the only unblockable things he has on us, maybe some others but that's it.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
I guess my control stick must have messed me up cause i felt really wierd while i was playing yesterday, i felt..restricted. Idk why though.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's not the matchup, but a combination of a faulty controller and your play style?

Tengosku

Smash Cadet
sounds to me like a combination of your controller and decision not to chaingrab

or maybe you just had an off day, falco should beat fox

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that's what I have come to realize. My game was way off yesterday and my mind wasn't balanced.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Nah man, never been to a tourney, but i would like to go to one sometime.
i have and the tourny is today (friday) if you want the location a will tell you, i won't be there though i'm broke at the momment but i have beat a lot of people there (besides bum and snakee) there are some other decent players as well (i heard ninja link was good and believe he is, but i never had the chance of of facing him).

so yea

you will most like get beat but you will get better by playing other players.
and i have placed high in my last one in 5th but i been broke so i'll be back in sep into tounies

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah tell me the location.
Dude i PMed you but you didn't respond.

I might loose, i might not loose.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Believe it or not, I started a topic about a week ago about this same problem. An aggressive Fox getting the best of a reactive Falco. And I can tell you for a fact that Falco is better simply because he has more options. My roommate has switched over to Zelda primarily to counter my Falco's style. I'll try as best as I can to give you some insight as to why Falco > Fox in that sense.

Grabs. Falco's downgrab sets up for numerous combinations. The glaring obvious one would be the chain grab. And of course once that hits the end of the stage, it can set up for a dair spike to end that stock quickly if the Fox doesn't DI properly. Or if you're not so good at that and keep killing yourself like I did the first few times, a forward smash will add some more damage. Simply put, as someone said before, one grab is going to make a Fox player hurt.

Lasers. Where as Fox's are just a tool for adding occasional damage, Falco's does the same but with the added stun making for great SHDL or SHL approaches depending on how often you practice them. Your lasers trump Foxs.

Fox does have some advantages, such as his upsmash and upair trumping Falco's. But I find that most of Fox's approaches are easy to read. A short hopped dair entry can be shielded if you know the timing of the hits. But your aerial game counters his tremendously, leaving you more options of approach than he has.

The way I beat my roommate's Fox is to shield punish. Simply put, if you're grabbed by Falco, it's going to put the hurt on you. Also, I have a controller that doesn't drift. =P Play reactively as opposed to defensively against Fox. Figure out his patterns and approaches, and find effective ways to counter them. Perfect shield the Dair approaches, and wait for the following upsmash or downsmash depending on his choice. Shield grab and teach him punishment. Chain grabbing makes it a lot easier.

Let us know how it goes in your next set of matches with your friend.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Lol you guys and your sexy controllers.
Right now im in a Brawlcation. Whenever i have bad days i dont play for awhile, but i will Bump this thread whenever.

Top Bottom