• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NOISE MAKING! :)

JUGGERNAUT043

Smash Apprentice
I was playing in some brawl and project m and I remembered something I wanted o ask the PMBR, I noticed on a good few characters that some of their moves no longer made a sound that they did in brawl, sometimes becoming almost silent, or that the character no longer says anything during a move from brawl soooooo I was curious why that is?

Vashimus

Smash Master
Can you give a few examples? The only one I can think of is Snake's C4. The sound when Snake sets a C4 on a surface doesn't make a noise, so it's less obvious, and when you successfully set it on someone, he gives a verbal cue to confirm you placed it on them.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Youll get used to it, not only that, but everything if you focused on gameplay and actually playing. At first, zelda's spot-dodge annoyed me because I thought she was trying to hit me, that sfx confused me a lot; after some time I got adapted to it and now im fine with it.

AgentTer

Smash Rookie
This highly bothered me aswell, I actually went back and manually added the sound effect clips back to most of the character files that ProjectM removed that i could find because i didn't like the inconsistency where some characters had duck and jump sounds and others didn't. I compiled a list of the main ones that i found that were removed--

Mario:
**Double jump flip sounds
**Jump flip backwards
**Duck
**UnDuck
**Fireball shoot fire (fireball sub action = 1CE) (15F = fireball fire sfx) (I agree that this one should normally be removed but i went in and lowered the volume for it so it's still there but doesn't overpower the regular fireball sound effect like it did in vBrawl.)
Mario's voice randomizer when using side-tilt kick
-
Luigi:
**Double jump flip sounds
**Jump flip backwards
**Duck
**UnDuck
**Fireball shoot fire sound (fireball sub action = 1CE) (D3C = fireball fire sfx) (I agree that this one should normally be removed but i went in and lowered the volume for it so it's still there but doesn't overpower the regular fireball sound effect like it did in vBrawl.)
-
Peach:
These are debatable because like standardtoaster pointed out, Peach's sounds here that i listed are obnoxious and louder than they probably should be. If the volume for them are lowered, it's not that bad.
**Hop
**Jump
**Dash
-
DonkeyKong:
**Duck
**UnDuck
**Jump flipping sounds
-
DiddyKong:
**Jump flipping sounds
-
Captain Falcon:
**Duck
**UnDuck
Land/Dash Clinking sound (I left this one out because it was annoying)
SideB move sound (I left this one out because it was annoying)
**Jump flipping sounds
-
Fox:
**Duck
**UnDuck
**Jump flipping sounds
-
Falco:
**Duck
**UnDuck
**Jump flipping sounds
-
Wolf:
**Jump flipping sounds
Land Clinking sound (I left this one out because it was annoying)
-
Shiek:
**Hop
**Jump
**Double Jump/Flipping sounds
**Duck
**UnDuck
-
Marth:
**Duck
**UnDuck
**Jump/Cape flipping sounds
-
Lucas:
I also added the "PK Freeze!!" and the PK Freeze ice sound clips back to Lucas because it sounded odd that he didn't say anything.
**PK Fire/Frost (Add SideB{Asynchronous Timer =4} and SideBAir{Asynchronous Timer =20} sfx 1414; Add value 0A05100: 0-813; Remove the two extra sounds on SideB)
I know this one gets annoying if the player spams SideB but I'd rather have the consistency.
-
Ness:
**Fix ProjectM PK Fire to be more like vBrawl so he always says "PK Fire!!" instead of random phrases.
-
Pikachu:
**Jump flipping sounds
**Back air kick using wrong SFX in ProjectM (sub action 64 change to 35)
-
Snake:
Fix C4 Plant SFX?
-
Wario:
Missing his hit sound when he is pummeling an opponent. I'm glad PM added a coin effect to it though, that was a nice touch but the hit sound was removed in the process. I tried but I don't know how to recover this one. Would like to keep both the coin sound and hit sound play at the same time.
-

I'm sure i missed some but these were the main ones that i could find that were bothering me.

A few final notes--
With all of this being said, i do understand why most of these were removed from ProjectM as most of them can be annoying without editing them or lowering the volume or in the case of Lucas how if you spam SideB he will shoot another pk freeze before he's even finished saying his first line which can lead to a garbled mess of voices...
When Yoshi is revealed i hope they remove those weird noises he makes everytime he kicks or uses regular attacks. I'm glad they fixed Pikachu's dash attack sound to be more like melee how it plays twice. I Also like what ProjectM did with the character voices for example how Mario goes "HOO!" when he dodges or small jumps to be closer to melee.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Youll get used to it, not only that, but everything if you focused on gameplay and actually playing. At first, zelda's spot-dodge annoyed me because I thought she was trying to hit me, that sfx confused me a lot; after some time I got adapted to it and now im fine with it.
I still haven't gotten used to it and honestly use it a lot less because of the sound (the down taunt thing) I like waving but the sound is no fun

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
In Brawl the noises were a lot more fun and arcade-y. Unnecessary if you think of it as a competitive game, but it's one of the things that makes Brawl better as an overall game than Melee.

Maybe I'm not phrasing this well enough

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I like the idea of giving individual characters more unique sounds like they did with Brawl, I just think some of the sounds they were given sound absolutely awful with Pikachu and Yoshi being prime offenders (the former sounding like a gumball and the latter sounding like a rubber duck). Then there's hit and swing noises like electricity and anything with swords or cut hit sounds that are either obnoxious or really weak. There's a lot more unique sounds in Brawl, I just don't think the actual direction of the sound design was very good.

That and the THACK and THOOMP on Falcon's Bair and Fair respectively from Melee have become practically iconic to the ears that it's hard to imagine them any other way, but that's another thing entirely.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Brawls sound effects just didn't have enough power behind them, that's why I replaced mine with melee sfx. The brawl hits sounded much softer and just not as satisfying as they were in melee, that's my opinion on the sfx anyway

and to answer the thread question i'm pretty sure they removed them because they got very annoying, and sometimes the actual yells overpowered the move's noise, and some people use the hit noises in there gameplay which is probably why they lowered some sounds

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Is it ok to talk about the opposite as well? I don't like Zelda's down taunt making noise :-(
Is that the one that makes the "puzzle" sound effect? I don't like that either; it sounds completely out of place on that taunt.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
This is actually probably the only thing I don't like about Project: M, surprisingly. I don't like the fact that a lot of the sounds from Brawl are missing. It throws me off when I'm trying to play because I expect there to be some kind of distinct noise when I do certain moves. it especially bothers me when I decide to mess around with Fox and Falco since almost all of their moves have lost their normal sounds and just have these unfitting "crunch" noises instead. it seems like one of those less appealing things that was just done "Because Melee".

I had tested out which of the SFX sets I liked better by going back and forth between Brawl's and Melee's with P:M and also playing Brawl and Melee themselves and while the transition initially took a bit, I can honestly say that I find Brawl's more aesthetically appealing. It especially fits more in the atmosphere of P:M than Melee's do solely because the game still looks like Brawl in it's main appearance, hence why it's sounds work with it even in P:M.

But that's just me stating an opinion. I know it's not going to be taken to heart or anything, nor do I expect it to be. it's just a disappointment that I'm going to have to live with if I want to enjoy this game, which I do.

JUGGERNAUT043

Smash Apprentice
well my suggestion, and i hope the PMBR is actually listening to my non starfox hating simple request, go back and go through the brawl sound effects that u removed entirely and do what that man up top did try lowering the volume on the sounds instead of just banishing them completely, noooow i know and agree that there are some sounds that are just flatout bad and very annoying and obnoxious, use ur discretion between how ever many of you the backroom consists of, ull know what will generally PO the majority of ppl playing and all of this will take a grand total of maybe 5 hours, heck u could experiment with it by including it in 3.0 see the public reaction then use that as a whole as the plan for ur next step, dont be afraid of offending the melee pure crowd with this simple non combative character wide change, melee had plenty of talking remember the mario bros and ganons wave dash and landing? that didnt make anyone mad really it was just a nice part of melee ^_^ just my idea i like how the posts are goin so far btw

Top Bottom