• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No way to get better....should I just drop smash?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
None of my friends play smash, and from what I can tell, there is no smash scene around me. Of course, I could be wrong, but I've been searching and haven't come across anything. So I'm stuck with FG, which we all know isn't a reliable way to get good with all the lag. I really want to get better, and go to tournys in the future, but with my current situation, I just don't see it happening. It's depressing, because I really love to play smash, and really want to make it to the top. While I could try A's ladder, it's online, and I'm looking for offline practice. I thought I found a bi-weekly tourny near me, and I replied to the thread, but no response. I'm really at a lost...

Note: I apologize if this shouldn't be a thread, and welcome a redirection to a thread on a similar topic.

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
Don't stop what you love doing. I struggled with this for a very long time. The Snash 4 scene in my state was practically non-existent. It's still pretty small. Florida is a big state. I'm sure there has to be a scene somewhere near you. Try sending a DM to other smashers around your area. That's how I found my local scene.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
How do I go about building one?
There are any of a number of ways to build one, sometimes involving advertising, others using social media, or (in the case of my area) by hitching of an existing community for another game.

If there is perhaps a TCG playing group in your area, see if any those people play Smash, and if so, run mini-Smash tourneys on the side at their TCG events (though not in conflict with the events.) Eventually it could expand into a larger scene...

For me, personally, my first real experience playing Smash with friends was when I started college. College is great for finding fellow gamers. :)

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
There are any of a number of ways to build one, sometimes involving advertising, others using social media, or (in the case of my area) by hitching of an existing community for another game.

If there is perhaps a TCG playing group in your area, see if any those people play Smash, and if so, run mini-Smash tourneys on the side at their TCG events (though not in conflict with the events.) Eventually it could expand into a larger scene...

For me, personally, my first real experience playing Smash with friends was when I started college. College is great for finding fellow gamers. :)
I'm in college, not sure if there is a group already made, I'll have to look into it.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Starting a facebook group is probably a good first step. Hopefully you gather up a decent group of people and some interest there. Once that happens you can try to work out a location to start smashing. A facebook group is how people in my area communicate and organize everything.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I'm in college, not sure if there is a group already made, I'll have to look into it.
I for sure think your college has people who play it.

I'm in high school and my school pretty much has a smash bros club that meets after school once a week

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Have you tried playing for enjoyment of the game?
Are you being serious... or? Because I'm always trying to play for the enjoyment. The problem is, I can't find that enjoyment through JUST for glory. Like I mentioned, none of my friends play smash, and I need offline practice.

D

Deleted member

I don't know where in Florida you are, but I'm sure if you're willing to travel a bit, you'll be able to find a tournament scene. These people here hold weeklies every Thursday for example (they skipped this week because of CEO, which also happened in Florida).

https://twitter.com/vsgamingcenter
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc

Top players like ESAM, MVD, and Xaltis attend it every week.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I live in Florida too and have played in a few Smash Tournies. I played one today at Supercon in Miami. Which part of Florida are you at?

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
East coast, like an hour and half away from orlando. I was going to go to CEO, but I have work.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I don't know where in Florida you are, but I'm sure if you're willing to travel a bit, you'll be able to find a tournament scene. These people here hold weeklies every Thursday for example (they skipped this week because of CEO, which also happened in Florida).

https://twitter.com/vsgamingcenter
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc

Top players like ESAM, MVD, and Xaltis attend it every week.
That's a 2 hour drive every thursday.. I could probably go once and a while, but I was hoping to find something a little closer.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
That's a 2 hour drive every thursday.. I could probably go once and a while, but I was hoping to find something a little closer.
Some people who go to Xanadu have to drive 3 hours every week to get there. Sometimes you have to drive a little further to find a good tournament. VSGC is pretty good because they stream and have commentators so its pretty much the Xanadu of Florida.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
None of my friends play smash, and from what I can tell, there is no smash scene around me. Of course, I could be wrong, but I've been searching and haven't come across anything. So I'm stuck with FG, which we all know isn't a reliable way to get good with all the lag. I really want to get better, and go to tournys in the future, but with my current situation, I just don't see it happening. It's depressing, because I really love to play smash, and really want to make it to the top. While I could try A's ladder, it's online, and I'm looking for offline practice. I thought I found a bi-weekly tourny near me, and I replied to the thread, but no response. I'm really at a lost...

Note: I apologize if this shouldn't be a thread, and welcome a redirection to a thread on a similar topic.
Do anther's ladder instead of FG, and honestly if you're considering quitting just because you don't have anyone to play with around you, you were never going to make it very far. The best players didn't get to where they are because their friends like smash too, they got there through perseverance. Either you give it your all and never give up, or you give up now. Making excuses is definitely going to make you a worse player.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Do anther's ladder instead of FG, and honestly if you're considering quitting just because you don't have anyone to play with around you, you were never going to make it very far. The best players didn't get to where they are because their friends like smash too, they got there through perseverance. Either you give it your all and never give up, or you give up now. Making excuses is definitely going to make you a worse player.
I'm not making any excuses, just stating facts. It is discouraging not to be able to have any offline practice. A's ladder is nice, but again, it's online. I want to give it my all, don't give me wrong, but I'm not satisfied with just online play. No need to be rude about it.

s00pahFr0g

Smash Rookie
I feel similarly to you. I live in the fort myers Florida area and there's definitely some interest here but it seems like nothing ends up working out. I would really like to try and get a scene started here but I have no idea how to do that.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I hear that Smash Ladder, or Anther's Ladder...whatever they call it...is the best method to train your main characters and stuff like that. I didn't get a chance to check it myself cuz I don't have any free time on me (stupid work... :() but that's something I would definitely do.

Last edited:

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I really really think more people should refer to the OP because I think the topic creator made it clear that he is seeking for more opportunities for solid offline play. online isn't what he is seeking.

anywho, you could totally build a scene just like whoever said earlier. you just gotta find that one person who's down to smash with you anytime, and once it gets a person's attention, it might get another person's, and so on and so forth. it's how i started yugioh at my high school, as well as smash around my area.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I'm in sort of the same situation as you. I cannot find any local tournament where I live. However I still search everyday or at least every other day until there is a local tournament that is around me. In the time being in order to get better I play people either on Anther's ladder or here on Smashboards.

Now you say you want offline play right? Well don't stop searching for a local tournament around you. In the meantime you should still do Anther's ladder or find people here on Smashboards to practice with. But at the same time you should still try to find someone in your region who will play with you offline. At least playing online Not FG, will still get you some experience, so once you do go to a local tournament you will be ready. A lot people who go to tournaments also play online. Playing online with people is still better than nothing.

So try to play on Anther's ladder or here on Smashboards to still get some experience but at the same time keep looking for a local tournament around you or at least someone in your region who might be able to play with you and maybe help you setup a local tournament.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman

I played a lot more Brawl once I found a few people to play with...

As far as the scene goes... Check the regional section of the forum here. Make a thread though it isn't the most well traveled section and may take time. Check social networks for a scene... there is a facebook group for the scene in my area... I keep meaning to go to one of there events and get pwned.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I'd try and encourage your friends to play.

Start off easy on them so they don't instantly lose all faith in their abilities and not want to play anymore. Lose a few matches; play characters you don't often play, encourage them to use characters they love, order some pizza etc and have a great time...

...once they start getting good you can slowly crank up the difficulty. I would recommend VERY slowly though as a sudden stomping could put an end to what could be the most fun you guys can have with a Wii U. Do it over several sessions so they build up confidence in their ability to play the game and soon you may find yourself having some decent offline training partners.

That said, still practice your main on the side. If you have any amiibos you can create your own training partner for that whilst your buddies get up to your skill level.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Personally I'd try and encourage your friends to play.

Start off easy on them so they don't instantly lose all faith in their abilities and not want to play anymore. Lose a few matches; play characters you don't often play, encourage them to use characters they love, order some pizza etc and have a great time...

...once they start getting good you can slowly crank up the difficulty. I would recommend VERY slowly though as a sudden stomping could put an end to what could be the most fun you guys can have with a Wii U. Do it over several sessions so they build up confidence in their ability to play the game and soon you may find yourself having some decent offline training partners.

That said, still practice your main on the side. If you have any amiibos you can create your own training partner for that whilst your buddies get up to your skill level.
Thank you! That's some good advice :). They want to play smash, but a lot of them can't afford a wii u currently, because of bills, rent, etc, so they don't even bother playing at all. I'll try to convince them though. As for the aiimbo, I don't have any currently, but I'll probably get one soon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Dunno if this has been said yet, but if you're near a college campus, there's bound to be some smashers there.

Personally I try to avoid my campus's smash association, but it's a preference thing.

Otherwise, your best bet is close friends.
I always completely obliterate them so none of them ever want to play with me. At least the ones who live near me. :c

Crystallum

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crystallum
Find a a scene that's close to you and enter tournaments. I'd also suggest rewatching your VODS to figure out your mistakes.

Top Bottom