• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No tripping code 'tis out (Updated! Added NEW Ocarina version!)

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is lame

Infinites are lame.

Chaingrabs are lame.

Unless you never play a tourney or seriously.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
i lol'd.

but i <3 the no tripping code.
That's my pet peeve.

Never say "tl;dr" to me. Don't read it if you think it's so long, and shut up about it.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, I'm going to be going to a friend's house tomorrow with my Wii and we'll be playing with tripless Brawl all day while I'm there. If I get any replays (which I'm sure I will) I will gladly post how the matches turned out for those interested. Fair warning, they're probably gonna be FFA with no items on so, if FFA isn't your cup of tea you might not be interested. But, usually, our matches are pretty hilarious so they may be entertaining. We'll see, I may get a few 1v1s in if I ask one of them if they want to.

That being said, I'll be gone all day tomorrow and into Monday afternoon so, I wouldn't expect the replays until closer to Thursday or Friday if I get any.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, I'm going to be going to a friend's house tomorrow with my Wii and we'll be playing with tripless Brawl all day while I'm there. If I get any replays (which I'm sure I will) I will gladly post how the matches turned out for those interested. Fair warning, they're probably gonna be FFA with no items on so, if FFA isn't your cup of tea you might not be interested. But, usually, our matches are pretty hilarious so they may be entertaining. We'll see, I may get a few 1v1s in if I ask one of them if they want to.

That being said, I'll be gone all day tomorrow and into Monday afternoon so, I wouldn't expect the replays until closer to Thursday or Friday if I get any.
Okay, cool.

If I had a way of recording matches (other than my digital camera, which would be awful quality) I would do so and post them here. Despite what some people have said, I've only experienced move-induced trips, so it'll be nice if there are a bunch of replays with No Tripping to show people that the code actually works.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^Their's already a video of Falcon and Sonic Dash Dancing for several minutes in the OP (and what happens to the replay when tripping is enabled.).

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i have a question about this tripping thing... i hear people asking for it to become tourny legal... but that makes me wonder... if one can stop tripping, how would we know what else they have changed? what if we went to a toruny and modded wii's had other things changed that made the win go more towards a certain character or something

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Ensuring that every Wii has the code on would take about five seconds. Either the TO has their own set of SD Cards to use, or they take everyone's SD Card, connects it to the computer and sets the code to the SD Card. You cannot change the codes without a computer, so as long as the TO supervises the SD Card it would be a cinch.
I've explained it many times before so I just really didn't feel like re-explaining it.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
i have a question about this tripping thing... i hear people asking for it to become tourny legal... but that makes me wonder... if one can stop tripping, how would we know what else they have changed? what if we went to a toruny and modded wii's had other things changed that made the win go more towards a certain character or something
...It's called supervising the Wii's, smart one. I think it would be pretty ****ing obvious if characters were modded.

BTW, there's no way to magically make wins go to a certain character, actually type coherent sentences, good God. People can not go to "tourunys" and make "wins go to another character".

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wow people hate tripping so much they would go as far as hacking the game to remove it themselves...I dunno maybe I have been getting very lucky with my trips or I am not getting it as bad as people are telling it as such.

wakka444

Smash Ace
Very cool, if it wasn't 4 in the morning and my first time back on here since like 3 months after brawl I would throw in my 2 cents but honestly do whatever you want and don't let other highly opinionated people screw with your fun.
ex. Saying this can't be tourney standard shouldn't stop you from holding one with this code.
Honestly it would be fun to go to something like this just for the heck of it.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Alright cool, tripping can be removed, jesus has come and everyone's saved from a faceplant to the floor, and a unexpected loss from a n00b. I'd love to not trip and all, but at the same time I dont care because I rarely trip anyway. So, lets leave at the removal of the tripping part, and forget about the wavedashing and all that, since that had disappeared for awhile, and if you've played since 64 you really shouldnt care since it wasn't in it as well, no matter how much of a break through in ssb series it was. Make a video of how the hit-stun will effect characters(which it really shouldnt effect them by much of anything) and I'll see about my opinion on that when ever you figure that out. On regards to other game mechanics, just leave them be for now, and just make special tourney rules later on for those that wish to have those mods in or not.

Second of all, if you really want to make it competitively, try enhancing already implemented game mechanic's(besides tripping since it is very dumb) and such to produce "NEW" things, that can still make this an competitive game (not as if though it already is, but who cares).

Ex. If you wanted to place wavedashing back in, really doesnt matter to me, then just find an easy way to make such a mechanic without trying to duplicate the original.

And to everyone in this thread that has complained about tripping AND to those that havent:

WTF STOP ARGUING AND COMPLAINING! IN THE LONG RUN, ITS NOT GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU TAKE IT OUT OR NOT!!! BRING YOUR OWN **** SYSTEM TO THE TOURNEY IF YOU HAVE TO IF YOUR GOING TO BE SO **** ANAL ABOUT IT! AND FOR THOSE THAT WANT IT OUT, STFU ALREADY!! WE ALL KNOW YOU HATE IT, IN FACT, I HATE IT, BUT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING OUT THAT BADLY THEN ****ING USE THIS CODE, OR IN FACT, COME UP WITH ONE YOUR OWN **** SELF IF YOU HATE IT SO MUCH!!!

Alright im through. Kudo's to the guy that made this. Nice find, and I hope to see what your later accomplishments are on mods to Brawl.

BEsides people, we've been modding ssb since 64. So STFU...

Revven

FrankerZ
Alright cool, tripping can be removed, jesus has come and everyone's saved from a faceplant to the floor, and a unexpected loss from a n00b. I'd love to not trip and all, but at the same time I dont care because I rarely trip anyway. So, lets leave at the removal of the tripping part, and forget about the wavedashing and all that, since that had disappeared for awhile, and if you've played since 64 you really shouldnt care since it wasn't in it as well, no matter how much of a break through in ssb series it was. Make a video of how the hit-stun will effect characters(which it really shouldnt effect them by much of anything) and I'll see about my opinion on that when ever you figure that out. On regards to other game mechanics, just leave them be for now, and just make special tourney rules later on for those that wish to have those mods in or not.

Second of all, if you really want to make it competitively, try enhancing already implemented game mechanic's(besides tripping since it is very dumb) and such to produce "NEW" things, that can still make this an competitive game (not as if though it already is, but who cares).

Ex. If you wanted to place wavedashing back in, really doesnt matter to me, then just find an easy way to make such a mechanic without trying to duplicate the original.

And to everyone in this thread that has complained about tripping AND to those that havent:

WTF STOP ARGUING AND COMPLAINING! IN THE LONG RUN, ITS NOT GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU TAKE IT OUT OR NOT!!! BRING YOUR OWN **** SYSTEM TO THE TOURNEY IF YOU HAVE TO IF YOUR GOING TO BE SO **** ANAL ABOUT IT! AND FOR THOSE THAT WANT IT OUT, STFU ALREADY!! WE ALL KNOW YOU HATE IT, IN FACT, I HATE IT, BUT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING OUT THAT BADLY THEN ****ING USE THIS CODE, OR IN FACT, COME UP WITH ONE YOUR OWN **** SELF IF YOU HATE IT SO MUCH!!!

Alright im through. Kudo's to the guy that made this. Nice find, and I hope to see what your later accomplishments are on mods to Brawl.

BEsides people, we've been modding ssb since 64. So STFU...
o-O;

A bit much of a response for someone who doesn't care about no tripping, don't you think?

Anyway, before I go to my friend's house today I'm gonna see what happens to a replay of a match that I originally tripped in with no tripping on and see how much it drastically changes.

Edit: I just tried it now, and good Lord did it change. Just one little thing like tripping changed the replay entirely but, that's probably due to the fact that it's just button input. So, everything after I tripped (when I don't) I wind up killing myself three times and when I come back from dying, it's as though it's doing the button input again and as if I'm trying to fight my opponent but missing and randomly shielding. Then the character goes off the stage and dies, rinse and repeat until the match ends.

It's really sad that it does that but, ah well, it's definitely much worse than a replay that originally had no tripping but without the code on when you watch it. This'll be so much fun, now I'll have to remember which replays had no tripping in them and which ones didn't (in the future). *Sigh* Oh well, it's worth it.

Zamuel

Smash Cadet
Zero tripping save for attack-caused tripping (e.g. ROB dtilt, Diddy's Bananas), so it would be no tripping on ice stages unless a trip-inducing attack is used.
Nice. Just to make sure, it eliminates the random tripping but keeps the slippery traction, right?

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Oh man. What have you done!? Mere mortals cannot weild such power! It's an insult to God himself! Anywhom on a more serious note, was tripping that bad? And I got a feeling people won't stop there. Not until this is Melee 2.0... with Geno too.

Geez... I wonder If I ought to consider this code a blessing. But tripping compared to infinites is like peanut butter to Henry Lacodaball. Bad analogy, yes. Valid Point, Uhuh a guh yah duh haw! Even teirtards (Maybe tierturds? Did I just invent 2 new suggestive insults?) can agree that infinites and wall combos border on the unfair.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Oh man. What have you done!? Mere mortals cannot weild such power! It's an insult to God himself! Anywhom on a more serious note, was tripping that bad? And I got a feeling people won't stop there. Not until this is Melee 2.0... with Geno too.

Geez... I wonder If I ought to consider this code a blessing. But tripping compared to infinites is like peanut butter to Henry Lacodaball. Bad analogy, yes. Valid Point, Uhuh a guh yah duh haw! Even teirtards (Maybe tierturds? Did I just invent 2 new suggestive insults?) can agree that infinites and wall combos border on the unfair.

We're not changing the game to Melee 2.0, and even if we did, how in anyway would this affect you?

In my opinion, this is amazing.

Secondly, I read through a few pages, and I can't believe that people are actually arguing about this as if it ultimately affects them. This is a great option for people who dislike tripping. Will it sweep the tournament scene? Who knows. Let's try it before we argue...

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
Ignoring Foxy's analogies, tripping cannot possibly make the game better, and has a chance of making the game worse, and can be eliminated (fixed) with relative ease in about 8 minutes.
There's a lot of things in this post I agree with, but there are also a few things I disagree with (naturally I will be focusing more on my disagreements). This is my reaction to the thread as a whole, but this post of yours (GofG) hits on most of the topics I want to talk about, which is why I'm responding to it specifically.

We aren't "resorting to hacks" to fix the game, hacks are the easiest way of modifying the game (the alternative being sneaking into Nintendo's base of operations and, like the ninja, swiftly thieving a copy of the source code of Brawl and recompiling from source after making the (un?)necessary modifications). If we can do something that does nothing but improve the game with no side effects but sheer improvement, why wouldn't we do it?

Also, if you think that Brawl is no more broken then Melee, I'm forced to conclude that you don't have much experience with Melee. Prove me wrong, please.
This is a minor quibble in terms, but, well, definitively speaking, you are indeed resorting to hacks to fix the game. Installing the Homebrew Channel and booting up Brawl through Ocarina such that you can fix a certain value in RAM to 0? That, my friend, is a hack. It's a great hack, though -- the only minor problem I have with it is that it's fairly involved, and that's because Nintendo did something approximating a decent job with locking down the Wii so you can't do stuff like this. I love the fact that it's possible to remove the random initial-dash-replacing trips. As a matter of terms, however, it is truly a hack.

I'm not especially qualified to speak on Brawl's balance relative to Melee's balance, so I won't.

In response to your "Sakurai doesn't hate the competitive scene", you might have put up an argument against the quotes, but... the removal of hitstun, the removal of l-canceling, the easier-to-perform and taller shorthops, the incredible recovery given to every character, the addition of tripping, the p2p online system, the overall gravity decrease making for a floatier game... All are things which Sakurai directly implemented in the game and have made the game have a much shorter learning curve and a much lower skill ceiling, not to mention shrinking the gap between the scrub and the pro to almost nothing.
There is competitive difficulty, and there is execution difficulty. Competitive difficulty comes from two players fighting, predicting, and tricking each other; execution difficulty comes from bad controls or bad control mechanics. Some equivalent terms for "execution" in this context are "artificial", "fake", and "bull****". Removing L-canceling and relaxing the timing on short-hops are two GOOD design decisions that Sakurai made. Melee was a great competitive game at the highest levels of play, yes? Since L-canceling had no downside, there was no strategic tradeoff between "to L-cancel or not to L-cancel" -- instead, every non-L-canceled aerial was a sub-optimal choice. Yes, L-canceling every aerial takes more technical skill than the alternative, but it more technical skill would also be required if every special move were performed by pressing B after a double-full-circle joystick motion, instead of the more sensible single-direction+B we have now. The premise of Smash is that technical skill should not be a barrier to playing well, performing brilliant strategies, or competing against another player.

The other changes you called out (hitstun reduction, taller shorthops, better recovery overall, and lower gravity) are issues orthogonal to "technical difficulty". They don't really affect the learning curve, nor do they make a newbie able to beat a pro with no effort ("scrub" means something significantly different from "newbie", btw). Most (possibly all) of the arguments against these Melee-to-Brawl changes have fallen under the category "it's different and so I dislike it". I have other opinions on various other changes, though I tend to fall into the "change as little as possible" camp, because Brawl is a known quantity that we can fine-tune based on current empirical results while major global changes like hitstun and gravity are necessarily NOT fine-tuning.

You MIGHT be able to argue that all of these things don't affect competitive gameplay as much as we think they do, but if Sakurai truly understands that the competitive gamers kept Melee alive for as long as it was alive, why wouldn't he be making additions to the game that blatantly obviously appealed to the competitive scene?

I, along with people who understand this game much better than you do (Gimpyfish, Scar, M2K to name a few) propose that Sakurai's goal was to make a game where everyone wins.

A party game, not a fighter.

The quotes do nothing but corroborate with this.
I really wish you weren't right about Sakurai being against competitive Smash, but alas, it certainly seems that way. Assuming correct translations (which itself is a bit of a dicey proposition, but probably holds), yeah... Sakurai appears to prefer that people don't get good at Smash, instead accepting wins and losses as they are doled out by the Random Number Gods rather than as they are earned through strategy and playing. And hey, people do play games based entirely on luck, but a fighting video game should not be such a game.

Switching gears a bit, now, re: the "Nintendo owns every Wii that it has sold" idea:
There's a thing called the first-sale doctrine. It typically deals with software when a piece of software is sold but the software-maker's End User License Agreement (EULA) claims that this was actually an instance of licensing. It hasn't held up all that well in court. But in this case, EULAs themselves are irrelevant, because we're talking about hardware. Once I buy a Wii console, the hardware becomes mine. There is no EULA associated with the purchase of the Wii console -- even if there were, I never agreed to any EULA; contracts require explicit agreement by both parties, and I certainly never signed my rights away (and no, "using a console" does not constitute agreement on my part). I can do whatever I please with my console, and Nintendo cannot arbitrarily cause destruction of my personal property. It does not matter that they were the manufacturers of said property. The only gray zone comes from the fact that if I modify the hardware that I own and then tell it to run a piece of software that should install some updates, Nintendo is free of liability if this piece of software breaks my console.

Like some others on the thread have said, a warranty is a guarantee that the product is free of manufacturing defects. If a defect presents itself within the warranty period and it is reasonable to conclude that the manufacturing itself is at fault, then the seller (the guarantor) is now obligated to fix the defect or replace the entire product. If a defect presents itself, but I caused the defect (maybe I poured hot grits inside the casing, maybe I decided to send a 121 megajoules through the power supply over the course of 0.1 seconds, maybe I modified it such that an update will break my modified system), then the guarantor is not obligated to fix the defect or replace the entire product. NOTE WELL that this warranty does not mean, imply, explicate, or in any other way suggest that my console actually belongs to Nintendo.

As a side note, the good people of TASvideos have known for quite a while about desynchs due to controller input not matching with the current gamestate. I personally experienced what you describe, Falco400, back in my days of playing Myth:tFL online (forgetting to remove your local changes before watching a replay or before going online screws everything up in exactly the same way as here, though it would sometimes happen as well if your connection hiccups and some packets are dropped). It is interesting to find out that Brawl doesn't re-synch the gamestate every so often, though.

/RtEB

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, I is back from playing tripless Brawl with my friends and oh man, was it faaaaaaantastic. A whole day of Brawl, not a single trip to put any of us in harm's way, just our own mistakes for trying something incredible or something stupidly hilarious. I got replays from matches from this morning, I plan to record all of them some time this week (probably tomorrow morning) and put them up on Youtube in parts. The matches are lulz and tripping doesn't get in the way of these beautiful matches. :p

Chip.

you know what to do
This is pretty revolutionary to be quite honest >_>

I have a question though, is it hard/long/tedious task to install "no tripping"?

Perhaps this could be tournament standard for every tournament if its easy to do ^_^

yaaaaaaaaaay

Revven

FrankerZ
This is pretty revolutionary to be quite honest >_>

I have a question though, is it hard/long/tedious task to install "no tripping"?

Perhaps this could be tournament standard for every tournament if its easy to do ^_^

yaaaaaaaaaay
Read the first post, I posted a tutorial on how it is done and what you use.

N M E

Smash Apprentice
Iv'e got one thing to add about brawl competativeness [Bad spelling FTW]

Melee was only the way it was, beacuse it had strong fundumental base
and the mistakes within the game allowed us to take it to a new level.

Sakurai is not a competative or atleast dosen't have a competative mindset. [there some threads have interveiws but don't have time to search for them maybe when i edit] and that is caried over in to his vision of smash.

Brawl dosen't seem to have a strong fundumantal base.

64 and melee weren't ment to be competative fighting game the community made it that way and i want to see what they do with brawl

No tripping is step forward Imo

Sry for the double post?

MuBa

Smash Lord
It's not terribly difficult to do at all. I'm not into tech stuff but I was able to do it =/

Now I'm enjoying the Homebrew Channel MORE than ever by using the emulators (Take that stupid Virtual Console!)

You just gotta know how the files work in the SD card and it'll get easier in time. But for now I HIGHLY recommend you look at the tutorial; that's how I was able to do it. And if you have trouble with it, then do look at the 3rd website cuz most likely you'll be having your major troubles with a proper formatting tool for your SD card.

Revven

FrankerZ
I know, but I'm not asking how to do it I'm asking is it easy/quick to install?

xD
It's quick if you know what you're doing (as in, you've done it once already and have the steps memorized) at most, it can take 10 minutes if you know what you're doing and have all the files already on your SD Card. If you don't, it's about 30 minutes and if you follow the tutorial on the first page, it's also pretty quick to do.

stabbedbyahippie

Smash Cadet
No tiripping code is working great! Except the code doesn't seem to be working online whether I host or not. Is there something wrong with my connection or does this just not work online?

AlexX

Smash Ace
Is there a way to implement the code without an SD card or SD card reader? I have neither and am too broke to buy either...

metaXzero

Smash Champion
64 and melee weren't ment to be competative fighting game the community made it that way and i want to see what they do with brawl
I just wanted to remind people that while no Smash was made to be competitive, Brawl was made specifically to be undermine competitive play.

THIS IS NOT AN ANTI BRAWL/PRO MELEE POST!

AlexX

Smash Ace
I just wanted to remind people that while no Smash was made to be competitive, Brawl was made specifically to be undermine competitive play.
Then why does stale moves affect knockback as well as damage?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Then why does stale moves affect knockback as well as damage?
The revamped Stale Moves system was made just to discourage spamming a few moves repeatedly (though it inadvertedly encourages people to spam projectiles and weak moves to keep finishers fresh).

What does that have to do with my statement?

Revven

FrankerZ
No tiripping code is working great! Except the code doesn't seem to be working online whether I host or not. Is there something wrong with my connection or does this just not work online?
If you had read the thread, I have said this more than once now. The code doesn't work on WiFi unless your friend has the code too. If he lacks it, the minute someone trips on their screen (you won't see it because of no tripping being on for only you) you will desync and of course disconnect.

Is there a way to implement the code without an SD card or SD card reader? I have neither and am too broke to buy either...
No. And, you mean to tell me you can't buy stuff that's under $10? You're that broke? :S

I'm just teasing. :p :laugh:

But yeah, SD Card + SD Card Reader (unless your computer has a port for them) are needed.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
are there any vids of how to do the homebrew download correctly on a vista computer? =/

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
...It's called supervising the Wii's, smart one. I think it would be pretty ****ing obvious if characters were modded.

BTW, there's no way to magically make wins go to a certain character, actually type coherent sentences, good God. People can not go to "tourunys" and make "wins go to another character".
i'm not talking about a huge change >.> i'm speaking about something undetectable to the human eye.. maybe something like making hitbox for a tipper slightly larger then its meant to be,something this small could decide a 50% kill opposed to a 100% + kill

Top Bottom