• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Data Can Be Saved OR Deleted. (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
Smash Bros. "Groundhog's Day"

For the last month or so, my copy of Sm4sh hasn't been saving. Every time we boot it up, it's just like how it was prior to the last session. No custom characters can be created (or deleted), no names can be added, no videos can be recorded nor wiped. All in-game stats are exactly how they were a month ago, there's been no change. Changes to the game, such as making a new custom character will pertain, but only until the game is shut off.

I've searched all over, but this seems like a unique problem I'm having. At first, we thought it was just because I exited the game incorrectly and it didn't get to save. So me and my friends did some tests, made the game save (by clearing Classic Mode), yet nothing. Turned off and back on, and our high score was gone. It's only for this game too, by the way. Is my save corrupted somehow? I really don't want to delete it, but I can't even move my save data onto an SD card to test if it's the data, because the option doesn't appear in the Wii U's data management section. (And I really don't want to lose my save.)

There's only been ONE instance of change pertaining through sessions. A Mii Fighter was deleted, and a new one took its place. When the game was turned off and back on again, the new Mii had overwritten the previous one's image, but in battle, the original Mii fighter is back, as if nothing had ever happened. I now have a Mii that changes ethnic origin once he enters battle.

This problem started in between patches, so I don't believe they're to blame, but hey, I'm open to any solution at this point that... hopefully doesn't wipe my save data...

Last edited:

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
So yeah, tried a new disk, no difference whatsoever. All data was gone upon bootup once again. I can tell now whether or not it's saving data, because if it actually saves, then I won't see the "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU GOT MEWTWO" splash screen every time I start up Sm4sh.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm sorry but you'll probably have to delete the data and start over. Seems like a glitch. Maybe try and wait for the next patch, which hopefully will fix it. Does this happen with other games?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Is your data stored on the internal hard drive or an external?

The only thing I can think of is this sounds like your save data became Read Only, which would do basically what you're describing (can't edit it for the long term). But I can't think of how that would have happened unless you save to an external hard drive and then did some tampering with the files of your own accord.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry but you'll probably have to delete the data and start over. Seems like a glitch. Maybe try and wait for the next patch, which hopefully will fix it. Does this happen with other games?
FFFFFFFF-

and no, every other game is working just fine.

Is your data stored on the internal hard drive or an external?

The only thing I can think of is this sounds like your save data became Read Only, which would do basically what you're describing (can't edit it for the long term). But I can't think of how that would have happened unless you save to an external hard drive and then did some tampering with the files of your own accord.
That makes a lot of sense, actually (your "read-only hypothesis"). It's stored on internal memory, and I can't move it. There's no option to from the data screen of the Wii U menu. I learnt that when I tried to copy the memory to an SD card and delete the original, as to try and test to see if it was just some corrupt data.

Last edited:

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
UPDATE: In-between my posting my previous message and now, I've been dreading finally deleting my save data. But, just today, while a friend was over, he really wanted to play Sm4sh, so I told him what had happened. I then said, if you don't mind helping me try to catalog and save what I can, we can delete the file and start over. We had to delete all the month's worth of replays we had saved since I got the game. After that, I had to look online for how to delete the save file (as there wasn't an option like there was in Brawl).

Upon finding the data in the Wii U's storage, I noticed that it said it had been last changed a few minutes ago, suddenly excited, I booted up the game... no Mewtwo splash screen! I made a random custom Pit, then rebooted the game. I loaded it back up... AND IT'S STILL THERE! The game now saves perfectly fine (at least for the time being), and although I lost about a month of gameplay stats, all my replays, and all my snapshots, my save file was... well... saved! I'm ecstatic that I didn't lose everything! Time to make some Mewtwo customs!

TL;DR
Deleted all my replays and it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom