• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Remember me linking the leak that Nintendo is working on achievements?

Well some people are trying to say why that's a bad thing.

And their arguments are ridiculous.
Doesn't surprise me.

I've seen people go on and on about how much they hate achievement systems and that Nintendo's lack of one is a selling point to them.

Like wtf, they're really no different to any set of tasks that have been in video games before achievements were a thing, just that you get them displayed on your profile.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Its called ******** just to *****, and they're obnoxious for doing so.

I know not everyone is excited about achievements, but to me, adding an achievement list to a game is adding a to-do list that gives the player more to do with their games, without having to create the achievement themselves.
Sonic Boom had an episode with Vector the Crocodile in it.
But that's not important, what is important is this bit I noticed in the episode.
View attachment 132555
Look familiar?
When the pie is baked just right...

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Why are people only focusing on Florida( yes I know they are getting hit hard. My crazy ass brother is staying in tampa during it.) when Haiti, a place that is already in the pits, got hit also? Are they just not relevent anymore

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

I don't see achievements as bad. I mean, it's perfectly fine for people to want them. But I'm not a fan of them. I would like them more if they actually gave something of use instead of points used for d-measuring.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm not a fan when Achievements/Trophies are used to artificially give the game more content than it actually has.

But they're generally harmless. No one is forcing you to get them.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
While I don't particularly miss achievements, they can be fun to do sometimes...and if you really don't like them, they are usually optional...

The important thing is they can give you incentive to keep playing a game...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Achievements are never a burden in any way except when they don't register (eat a fat **** Microsoft).

Or at least, I know of none.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only problem I have with achievements is when those achievements typically interfere with people having fun with the game and instead going super competitive mode or stop playing the game regularly and instead are just trying very hard to get an achievement they missed.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Achievements should be implemented as they were in Halo 3.
Get an achievement and then you unlock something in game ie:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Anime BenchWatch part 7:Uchuuu Patrol Luluco or Space Patrol Luluco
Pure chaos and madness.The only words i can use to describe this show and tbh knowing the studio im not sure what else i expected.Space Patrol Luluco is basically a love letter to every done by Studio trigger and even some parts of Gainax.Kill la kill and gurren lagann references up the ***,crazy action,crazy plot, all that comes with the name studio trigger is here and multiplied by 1000.However beneath the craziness and action theres a sweet plot about how not to give up on love and accept the abnorm as norm. Each episode is only 7 minutes and its only 13 episodes takes about an hour and i say if your a fan of off the wall craziness and or love studio trigger as much as i do you'll find some enjoyment here.

7/10

Next up:K-On(+Ova's and Movie)
Anime Benchwatch part 8: No Game No Life,Mob Psycho 100
So yeah i never got around to finishing K-ON!I finished the first season but didnt have enough time to watch the second season or the movie.However in that time i finished 2 other anime.No Game No Life and Mob Psycho 100 which now saying aloud are all very different to watch in a span in of 3 months.
  • New Game No life
First thing first this show is beautiful.Its amazing animated and colorful and everything pops out from one another. So more than likely you will be drawn into by that aspect much as i was. but the main selling point is the story and connection of sora and Shiro, a brother and sister duo(not by blood), who are the worlds best gamers and is transported into a game world by there god tet.In this world everything is decided by games and the appeal is seeing how sora and shiro well win every game in creative ways.Really even a simple game of chess becomes something epic and its amazing. Really worth the watch and one of my personal new favorites.
8/10
  • Mob Psycho 100
A anime i heard about but didnt give much time because it was made by the guy who did one punch man and i was iffy on that show.However this show is really good and teaches a good lessons like just because your different doesnt mean your not human or that taking short cuts isnt the right way in way.Its more so watching how mob evolves and unintentionally change people's lives in the process.And dare god the fight scenes are a thing of beauty, they're so damn good. Really really recommend watching this.Can't wait for season 2.

8/10

Next Up: K-On( For real this time)
Anime Currently watching: Gamers!My First Girlfriend Is a Gal!New Game!!
Aniilist: https://anilist.co/user/icebreakerxy/animelist

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
A friend of mine mentioned September 13th is when the Switch's screenshot sharing feature maintenance ends, thus arises the hope of the previously-teases video footage sharing feature being announced.

So for that Direct, here's a realistic list of [my] expectations:

• Switch update adding achievements, video sharing, and maybe extras such as themes and a redesign of the eShop. This update would also prepare the field for the arrival of the online service and its features. I think it would be nice if the achievements could also be included in Virtual Console games a la PS1/PS2 Classics on more recent Sony hardwares.
  • Speaking of Virtual Console, it makes an appearance.
  • ARMS 3.0 Update is detailed and given a release date. Lola Pop, controller remapping, as well as, perhaps, the usual tweaks, fixes and one new mode or two.
  • A new character is announced for FE Warriors; a Season Pass could also be announced before we are told to look forward to more information at TGS.
  • DLC is detailed for both Zelda and Mario + Rabbids, although maybe not in its entirety for the latter
  • A glimpse of Fire Emblem 2018 gameplay is premiered. Info will be scarce.
  • Possible release dates for: Xenoblade, Skyrim, Rocket League, Brawlout, Payday 2, few indies
  • Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces both get a segment with new info
  • The last Kirby project announced for 3DS is unveiled
  • Possible appearance of AC Mobile and Pikmin 4
  • And finally, a few surprises: one or two new games from well-established Nintendo franchises that had yet to make their way to the Switch; more Deluxe and third-party ports; etc...

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Finally finished Steins;Gate last night, including the OVA and the Movie.

Not going to do a full-review on it like I did with Attack on Titan Season 2 and Re:Zero, but I will give some thoughts.

I've been hearing a lot of praise about this show, and after finishing it, I can see why. The story was really good: it has some good complexity to it filled with plenty of memorable scenes: from some serious, tragic moments, to funny scenes, and even some great plot twists. For a time travel plot, I think this was one of the more well-done ones. The whole "lines" theory and the time machine the characters created had a sense of realism to it. My only real complaint with the story is that it starts out slow at first, as the first few episodes primarily focus on introducing the characters and setting. I'd say it was around episode 10 when the plot really showed its charm, and when it did, oh man did it make the rest of the show a thrill to watch!

Steins;Gate also has a great cast of characters. All of the side characters were memorable and contributed to the plot in some way. Many of them have some great personalities that made them fun to watch, whether it'd be Daru for comic relief or Suzuha for her upbeat character (as well as learning about her backstory later on). Some of the characters I didn't care for initially, but the later episodes helped flesh them out to the point I understood them. Mayuri was one example: I wasn't that invested with her early into the series as she was an airhead that felt like the cliched "childhood friend and possible love interest of the MC," but learning more about her backstory and seeing how her interactions play out with other characters gave me a better opinion of her by the end of the series.

Speaking of the main characters, Okabe Rintaro and Makise Kurisu, our two main leads, are easily my favorite characters in the show. Okabe has a lot of charm to his character. His chuunibyou tendencies (yep, if you liked Owain from Fire Emblem there's a good chance you'll like Okabe as well), a.k.a. his mad scientist persona, made for some of the most humorous moments in the show. His honesty, his witty nature, his occasional social-awkwardness, and the way how he cares for his friends also bring out a lot of charm to him as well. I also loved the character development Okabe has throughout the series; he undergoes through several hardships that affect him deeply, but it's through them that he grows well. Honestly, Okabe has become one of my favorite main protagonists out of all anime I watched so far: he strikes a great balance of witty, humor, and sincerity that makes him very compelling, to the point you feel really connected with him and want to follow his story.

Makise Kurisu was another fantastic character. She is smart, loyal, cool-headed, and strong-willed. She also had an air of mystery to her when she is first introduced to the point I was interested in learning more about her, and when I did, it only made her more intriguing. Her tsunderic tendencies were rather off-putting at first, but they become more enjoyable later on to the point she became a tsundere who I really liked. She has some solid character development too, especially in regards to her relationship with Okabe. The two establish a very strong bond throughout the series, to the point she is able to bring Okabe back on his feet when he was depressed (i.e. like that one scene when she acts like his mad scientist self to give Okabe motivation at one point in his struggles; it was a nice scene since it showed one aspect of her development, going from someone who is annoyed of Okabe's chuunibyou tendencies to one that sees how it makes him charming).

The two also form a very nice romance towards the end of the series. Their kiss scene and the dialogue surrounding it in episode 22 was a very touching moment.

The movie also helped humanize her character even further, and it was there she solidified herself as one of my favorites in the series. My only real complaint with her is that the show should've done more showing then telling in regards to her backstory; that way, it would help bring more emotional attachment to the character. Even then, Kurisu is still an awesome character in my eyes. She has become one of my favorite female characters in all of anime, being very close to Rem (who is around number 1-2) in my ranking list. Don't be surprised if I make her my avatar some point in the future!

The soundtrack was good and helped bring the emotional value in many scenes. The opening and ending soundtracks grew on me after a while, to the point I really like them both.

The animation was also well-done with some great use of shading, though what I liked the most about the animation was its cinematography. There were a number of scenes filled with symbolic imagery that could be used to represent the characters, their struggles, or even foreshadowing to coming events in the story.

In all, Steins;Gate has solidified itself as one of my favorite anime of all time, probably my second favorite (Fate/Zero is at the top). With a fantastic story, awesome cast, and some clever cinematography, it was a show that I thoroughly enjoyed watching. Okabe and Kurisu are among my favorite anime characters now; both of whom make fantastic lead characters. Steins;Gate is one of those anime that I would definitely would want to marathon all over again.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
A friend of mine mentioned September 13th is when the Switch's screenshot sharing feature maintenance ends, thus arises the hope of the previously-teases video footage sharing feature being announced.

So for that Direct, here's a realistic list of [my] expectations:

• Switch update adding achievements, video sharing, and maybe extras such as themes and a redesign of the eShop. This update would also prepare the field for the arrival of the online service and its features. I think it would be nice if the achievements could also be included in Virtual Console games a la PS1/PS2 Classics on more recent Sony hardwares.
  • Speaking of Virtual Console, it makes an appearance.
  • ARMS 3.0 Update is detailed and given a release date. Lola Pop, controller remapping, as well as, perhaps, the usual tweaks, fixes and one new mode or two.
  • A new character is announced for FE Warriors; a Season Pass could also be announced before we are told to look forward to more information at TGS.
  • DLC is detailed for both Zelda and Mario + Rabbids, although maybe not in its entirety for the latter
  • A glimpse of Fire Emblem 2018 gameplay is premiered. Info will be scarce.
  • Possible release dates for: Xenoblade, Skyrim, Rocket League, Brawlout, Payday 2, few indies
  • Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces both get a segment with new info
  • The last Kirby project announced for 3DS is unveiled
  • Possible appearance of AC Mobile and Pikmin 4
  • And finally, a few surprises: one or two new games from well-established Nintendo franchises that had yet to make their way to the Switch; more Deluxe and third-party ports; etc...
My policy is to expect nothing and hope for the best. I'm not going to bank on a big Switch update just yet, but I would be thrilled. The system is clearly geared towards implementing themes from the get-go, and I can pinpoint room on the menu for at least three other non-application features, one of which will likely be achievements with that starting to hint itself. I'm not sure if this time is going to be the time we see that, though. Same goes for Virtual Console, it's been long enough and everyone is at a fever pitch enough that I'm not even going to bother expecting it, but it'll still happen eventually.

As for well-established Nintendo franchises, I have a hard time imagining what. I think they'll hold off on Animal Crossing until they detail the mobile app (which I guess could be now but I'm not sure if I see it happening), Smash is probably Smash 5 at this point and wouldn't be in any condition to be shown off until at least E3, no way they already have a Star Fox in the pipeline fresh off of Zero's flop. . .We already have Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Splatoon, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Kirby announced or released. The list of big or even moderate sized names they haven't already speedrun announcing is kind of short. Unless they unveiled franchises like Nintendogs and Brain Age, of course, but I can already see the grumbling from most people if that happened.

But I mean, you could go ahead and announce a Kid Icarus game or something, Nintendo. Surprise me.

Most of the rest is in line with my expectations give or take a couple games. They might detail the next new stage being released for Splatoon 2 since we're about due, we've seen it a little already but we've yet to have a name to the face.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The MvCi final boss looks really cool actually. It's just straight up a final boss from a Mega Man X game.

And no one told me about a new Lethal League.

IronTed

Smash Ace
My policy is to expect nothing and hope for the best. I'm not going to bank on a big Switch update just yet, but I would be thrilled. The system is clearly geared towards implementing themes from the get-go, and I can pinpoint room on the menu for at least three other non-application features, one of which will likely be achievements with that starting to hint itself. I'm not sure if this time is going to be the time we see that, though. Same goes for Virtual Console, it's been long enough and everyone is at a fever pitch enough that I'm not even going to bother expecting it, but it'll still happen eventually.

As for well-established Nintendo franchises, I have a hard time imagining what. I think they'll hold off on Animal Crossing until they detail the mobile app (which I guess could be now but I'm not sure if I see it happening), Smash is probably Smash 5 at this point and wouldn't be in any condition to be shown off until at least E3, no way they already have a Star Fox in the pipeline fresh off of Zero's flop. . .We already have Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Splatoon, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Kirby announced or released. The list of big or even moderate sized names they haven't already speedrun announcing is kind of short. Unless they unveiled franchises like Nintendogs and Brain Age, of course, but I can already see the grumbling from most people if that happened.

But I mean, you could go ahead and announce a Kid Icarus game or something, Nintendo. Surprise me.

Most of the rest is in line with my expectations give or take a couple games. They might detail the next new stage being released for Splatoon 2 since we're about due, we've seen it a little already but we've yet to have a name to the face.
Nintendo's September directs have have been about hyping up the holiday lineup. So expect games to be dated, preorders to open, etc. At this point they have no need or incentive to announce any more 2018 games.

This year has been an outlier, rarely does Nintendo announce their lineup so early on. Outside of Pokken DX and Mario+Rabbids, by January we knew about every game they had for the year.

Edit: I might be off base on this, but around this time last year was when Mario Maker for 3DS was announced.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
*watching Dragon Ball Z Kai when the title Yamcha's Struggle appears* Ah yes the meme episode, how quaint.

In all seriousness, I miss when Yamcha was an actual threat and more than a meme. Still a better addition to DBFZ than Mr. Satan though
He wasn't terribly useful in the original series either. Tien got sandbagged the most of the DB cast (in comparison to where he started out as), and even then he still got some shining moments here and there.

I'm hoping we get to see more of Gohan, Vegeta and Piccolo in the Tournament. Gohan got like 2 fights in one episode and most of Vegeta's fights we only see snippits of except when he stomped Universe 9 with Goku. They've done a bit, but much of the focus has expectedly gone to Goku. Didn't like how early Krillin got taken out, since he still had cool moves to use.

So, is everybody ready for some football?!?!?!?!?!
I guess. But with Football, sometimes it takes too damn long for a decent play to happen. At least on TV. That's why Basketball is more fun to watch. Boxing too, if its a good match.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Nintendo's September directs have have been about hyping up the holiday lineup. So expect games to be dated, preorders to open, etc. At this point they have no need or incentive to announce any more 2018 games.

This year has been an outlier, rarely does Nintendo announce their lineup so early on. Outside of Pokken DX and Mario+Rabbids, by January we knew about every game they had for the year.
They hit the panic button pretty hard on Pokemon and Prime 4, too, neither of those are guaranteed even for next year and Pokemon might be the only one even targeted for it. That panic button was pressed for Smash Bros on the Wii U so now people expect that, but part of the reason I think Smash won't be shown off is because they've already played way more of their hand than normal.

Whether or not they show off Kirby and Yoshi I think depends on whether or not they're Q1, particularly early Q1. If either one is slated for January or February it might be worth it to start showing them off now because the next Direct probably won't be until December or at least November. Everything else new I agree they'll probably keep close to the vest. Pikmin 4, 2D Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Smash aren't likely to be announced/shown off until next year outright, and a lot of them not until E3.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He wasn't terribly useful in the original series either. Tien got sandbagged the most of the DB cast (in comparison to where he started out as), and even then he still got some shining moments here and there.

I'm hoping we get to see more of Gohan, Vegeta and Piccolo in the Tournament. Gohan got like 2 fights in one episode and most of Vegeta's fights we only see snippits of except when he stomped Universe 9 with Goku. They've done a bit, but much of the focus has expectedly gone to Goku. Didn't like how early Krillin got taken out, since he still had cool moves to use.

I guess. But with Football, sometimes it takes too damn long for a decent play to happen. At least on TV. That's why Basketball is more fun to watch. Boxing too, if its a good match.
In 2 episodes it's going to be about Gohan. The next episode is going to have Vegeta in it

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Boxing isn't something I watch, but I was pretty good at Wii Boxing before I left for college.

But I never got interested in Basketball. It's too ****ing boring for me.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
They hit the panic button pretty hard on Pokemon and Prime 4, too, neither of those are guaranteed even for next year and Pokemon might be the only one even targeted for it. That panic button was pressed for Smash Bros on the Wii U so now people expect that, but part of the reason I think Smash won't be shown off is because they've already played way more of their hand than normal.

Whether or not they show off Kirby and Yoshi I think depends on whether or not they're Q1, particularly early Q1. If either one is slated for January or February it might be worth it to start showing them off now because the next Direct probably won't be until December or at least November. Everything else new I agree they'll probably keep close to the vest. Pikmin 4, 2D Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Smash aren't likely to be announced/shown off until next year outright, and a lot of them not until E3.
I disagree on Pokemon. Nintendo has no control over its reveal, and TPC has never been one to be pressured by fan demand, either. Pokemon on Switch was a foregone conclusion, and USUM was the just the same thing (only exacerbated by the Internet minority who like to crap on the 3DS) as before. The average joe probably doesn't even know about Pokemon on Switch.

But as for the panic button, Nintendo also had that emergency 2013 direct, where they threw out the kitchen sink (which wasn't that impressive) in an attempt to compensate for the drought.

I still find it hard to believe they will release two 2D platformers so close together. Seems like an odd choice.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
A neighbor has been playing norteño banda garbage all night, but a dude arrived at his place and replaced the music with Linkin Park and System Of A Down.
Whoever you are, you are da true MVP, dude.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I disagree on Pokemon. Nintendo has no control over its reveal, and TPC has never been one to be pressured by fan demand, either. Pokemon on Switch was a foregone conclusion, and USUM was the just the same thing (only exacerbated by the Internet minority who like to crap on the 3DS) as before. The average joe probably doesn't even know about Pokemon on Switch.

But as for the panic button, Nintendo also had that emergency 2013 direct, where they threw out the kitchen sink (which wasn't that impressive) in an attempt to compensate for the drought.

I still find it hard to believe they will release two 2D platformers so close together. Seems like an odd choice.
It seems less of a dilemma than releasing one of them alongside 2D Mario or a DK title, at least. I can't see either one overshadowing the other too much, they're both pretty mid-tier. The Kirby fandom will loyally buy their title, the Mario fandom will buy theirs, and a good chunk of the overlap for cutesy platformers should be covered by the audience having disposable incomes. They might have to compete for the attention of parents, but it's post-Christmas and I'd guess there's enough market share for both of them. If any two platformers are going to come out in the same time frame, I see these cannibalizing the least.

IronTed

Smash Ace
It seems less of a dilemma than releasing one of them alongside 2D Mario or a DK title, at least. I can't see either one overshadowing the other too much, they're both pretty mid-tier. The Kirby fandom will loyally buy their title, the Mario fandom will buy theirs, and a good chunk of the overlap for cutesy platformers should be covered by the audience having disposable incomes. They might have to compete for the attention of parents, but it's post-Christmas and I'd guess there's enough market share for both of them. If any two platformers are going to come out in the same time frame, I see these cannibalizing the least.
True, both are comparable in that regard. I don't expect much cannabalization, either. Yoshi is single player, while Kirby has multiplayer, so that's another difference. Long term they should be fine. Is it confirmed they are both Q1 releases?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
True, both are comparable in that regard. I don't expect much cannabalization, either. Yoshi is single player, while Kirby has multiplayer, so that's another difference. Long term they should be fine. Is it confirmed they are both Q1 releases?
All we know is that they're 2018. We have gameplay footage and they aren't really franchises with drawn out dev cycles, though, so I can't see them being after next E3. Being announced 7-9 months ahead of time sounds about right in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom