• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Well thought I'd just make a post before the inevitable reveal tomorrow for sonic.
If we do happen to get the new game reveal I hope for the following.
More than one playable character. Even if that means just giving us Tails and Knuckles that would be enough (The Sonic Heroes) with that said I hope they focus on their current cast of characters instead of giving us new ones (which is very likely because we got Shadow- 10th, Silver- 15th, Classic sonic-20) unless we get Dreamcast sonic back.
And most importantly bring back Crush 40.
:sonic:Here's to the Future Hedgehog:4sonic:
EDIT: A new riders game would be amazing for it's 10th anniversary.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
What I played from the Planet Robobot Demo is actually amazing.
It's a very solid game and despite it being easy it's still incredibly fun. The levels are longer than I thought they would be which is great. The challenge as usual in Kirby games is to get the secrets. Despite looking for them in the Robobot stage they give you I missed the middle metal block thing lol. I got to try out about 6 abilities tho not any new ones.

I'll play the 'normal' stage another time. Off to Blastball!

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Taking Miiverse screenshots of every little thing in pre-Splatfest Splatoon, seeing as I'll never see a Splatfest board in this game again and I might never see anything else.

Darn I'm gonna miss this. I hope Splat2n is already in the pipeline. I'm sure they're planning on it, I just. . .I hope they're working on it already.

. . .I want a new Kid Icarus even more, actually, but that 2 million copy target for new games combined with the fact that Kid Icarus tends to be a 1 million copy kind of series scares me. I bet they could get a new game up to 2 million copies if they made the controls more friendly and marketed it the right way, too, but I worry they wouldn't even bother. . .

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Realized I never did my own twenty character NES Smash roster. :p

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk:
:4link::4zelda:[Ganon]:4samus::4littlemac:
:4pit::4palutena::4marth::4duckhunt::popo:
[Mach Rider]:4rob::4pacman::4megaman:[Simon Belmont]

Runners up were Takamaru, Excite Biker, and Black Mage.

MHG demo

Pros
Interesting game.
Tactical
Hit things with big stick

Cons
EVERYONE KEEPS LEAVING

Guess I may have to actually buy the game.

Now to try out Blast Ball :p

:061:

D

Deleted member

Im downloading the Metroid Blast Force demo, i'll get my thoughts on it later.

Eh, i'll try MHG too, why not?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wow there are a lot of Birthdays today. And that pig is very interesting in Color Splash....

I actually like the silly real world objects idea.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Taking Miiverse screenshots of every little thing in pre-Splatfest Splatoon, seeing as I'll never see a Splatfest board in this game again and I might never see anything else.

Darn I'm gonna miss this. I hope Splat2n is already in the pipeline. I'm sure they're planning on it, I just. . .I hope they're working on it already.

. . .I want a new Kid Icarus even more, actually, but that 2 million copy target for new games combined with the fact that Kid Icarus tends to be a 1 million copy kind of series scares me. I bet they could get a new game up to 2 million copies if they made the controls more friendly and marketed it the right way, too, but I worry they wouldn't even bother. . .
I'm certain it can even sell 3m+, especially after getting all that content in Smash. But yes, them actually trying to make a new game is unlikely because to make it as great as the one before story wise but more content and gameplay improvements plus obviously better hardware would mean bigger budget and atm there isn't anyone including Sakurai who openly said they would like to make a new KI game.

It's just not a big series nor a popular one. :/. Maybe all the KI fans should just demand it lol. It's got a cult following. I'm personally hoping Pit grows once more and looks around 17...and sticks that way. Tho I wouldn't mind if it's current Pit.

Heck, maybe if they included footage from beyond chapter 9 aka Medusa's arc (w/o spoiling Hades) and had slighly better and more frequent marketing, KI:U might have broken the 2m milestone... or at very least beat FE: Awakening which isn't far off right now. Chances would be way better.

needed to make myself feel better. *last tear*
At least Kid Icarus Uprising HD would do. :c

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My issue with that Sonic article wasn't really anything to do with calling this or that game bad (I mean it was a bit wily nilly with that but that's expected). It was more the angle of "Sonic was DOOMED to be bad"...because no. There is so many things wrong with that, the first thing that Sonic as an entire franchise has never been entirely bad. It had a few bad eggs, but people just like to exaggerate them. And it disregarded a lot of stuff like really oversimplifying characters, and trying to say "Sonic is reactionary to Mario", which I don't think is absolutely true. I can also point out many things Mario took from Sonic. I can point out many instants of Mario games and Nintendo in general being tone deaf. I can point out many poor game design philosophies that Miyamoto represents. And I would also like to point out how Yuji Naka ended up making a game that took better advantage of the Wii than Miyamoto ever did.

So I really think the whole "Sonic/SEGA should be more like Mario/Nintendo" is absurd. Both franchises have their ups and downs, people just like to exaggerate Sonic's downs and totally ignore Mario's downs.

If we're gonna list Sonic games from Adventure onwards and what we think of them (gonna stick with main 3D games since those are the main point of contention):

Adventure
: Technically very unpolished by today's standards (which isn't a fair criticism to call it a "bad" game because you can say this about any early 3D platformer, including Super Mario 64 an Banjo-Kazooie), especially the DX version. But most of the design philosophies are on point and hold up. If they remade Adventure with the years of experience and new technology Sonic Team has now, and polished it, it would be a phenomenal game.

Adventure 2: Technically holds up better than it's predecessor (or at least the DX version), but it's quite botched from a design standpoint. While Adventure kept the core "guts" of a Sonic game (speed, exploration, platforming) in tact for at least Sonic's stages and seamlessly blended them, while everyone else served as a sort of alternate mini-game focusing on one of the above, Adventure 2 split them all up completely. Speed stages (Sonic/Shadow) were linear spectacles where trying to go off the beaten path usually resulted in a lost life or the game's bugs rearing their head. Platforming stages (Tails/Eggman) were just quite bland and the mechs felt way too heavy. Exploration stages (Knuckles/Rouge) were way too big for their own good, the hint system was terrible compared to SA1, and then there's the botched radar that absolutely did not need to be the way they were.

Heroes: Good, but flawed. Sort of like an in-between of SA1 and SA2. Once again seamlessly interacted the three core aspects of Sonic, but in a different way, by giving you three characters to switch between who had different abilities in each field. But it loved bottomless pits too much and enemies with big health bars. And generally pretty polished but still had some issues.

Shadow: Actually had some good ideas but was marred by terrible execution and mission design. While I am focusing on gameplay here, I want to say - Shadow with guns could have been more tonally appropriate if the game didn't take itself so seriously all of the time. Something more campy like Devil May Cry could have worked, as far as tone goes.

Secret Rings: It's pretty underrated and gets way more hate than it deserves, I think people mostly rip on this one because it's the cool thing to do, to be honest. I think it's basically the Star Fox: Zero of Sonic - controls aren't horrible or unresponsive, it's just a radically different control scheme that takes getting used to. It's not amazing or anything, but I think it's a good game, and it has one of the best storylines in Sonic. And I will defend the ending too, I think that's mostly ripped on for no good reason and again, it's the cool thing to do. And why does nobody remember the awesome Party Mode? Easily one of the best party games I've ever played.

Sonic '06: Not much I could say that hasn't been said. I will say that I think the game would have been good if it was finished. Sonic's levels are actually really well designed, much like SA1, programming issues aside. And I have prove of this since I played a Sonic Generations mod that sort of "remakes" Sonic '06 in Sonic Generations.

Unleashed: I totally have nothing to say about this game......

Black Knight: Another underrated one. Gameplay is more solid than Secret Rings. Presentation is phenomenal. Has the single best representation of Sonic's character in anything, ever. Excellent use of theming in it's story, and just a great story all around. And hey, multiple characters to play as! Multiplayer was kinda bad though.

Colours: Great game, not without it's problems though. I didn't like the over abundance of 2D sections, and how blocky the 2D platforming could get. I also thought the controls were actually worse than Unleashed, because they had to make compromises for the Wii Remote/Nunchuck controls, and they carry over to Classic/Gamecube controls too. Quick Step and Drift had to be relegated to very specific sections and the abilities are unusable otherwise. Quick Step overrides regular turning when it pops up, and Drift overrides Boost. Drift sections also feel especially superfluous, they didn't have any obstacles and were just there as filler. Most of the Wisps are pretty great, though Cube was a bit meh. Also the filler acts were kinda meh, and were mandatory, would much rather playthrough Werehog stages. S Ranking stages also very oddly focused not on your time, but on your score from collecting Rings and from abusing Wisps, so S-Ranks were a boring thing to chase after. The multiplayer in this game was super fun though, and this game marked the first playable appearance of Super Sonic in a main 3D Sonic game.

Generations: Fantastic game, easily one of the best Sonic games. Modern Sonic's Seaside Hill in this game is arguably the best designed Sonic level in the history of the franchise, and is one of the best levels I've ever played in any game. And the same general quality holds up throughout the game. Only real criticism I have are the final boss is bad (but the other ones are all REALLY good, which is actually uncommon for Sonic), and the story had a lot of dropped potential. Like, there was so much potential for quirky interactions with the two Sonics but they didn't use it. Mods extended the life of this game greatly, though, so huge plus on that, even if it wasn't Sonic Team's intention.

Lost World: Another case of Heroes. Good, but flawed. Really polished, probably the most polished 3D Sonic game. Parkour was cool, though it could have been utilised better. Had some really good levels, and Tropical Coast Act 1 echoed Generations Seaside Hill for me, being one of the best designed 3D Sonic levels out there. But it also had a lot of...weird levels. Not even terrible, just weird and I don't see what the point of them was. Ultimately though, it's a perfectly good game, but nothing more than that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My nidoran male and nidoran female are racing to see who evolves to king/queen first. Nidoqueen just got ahead by 1 candy

D

Deleted member

Remember when we were talking about alternate costumes we'd like to see? So yeah, I have a new wish
FB_IMG_1469130398645.jpg

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
In BlastBall gravity must be low since I can easily jump over my mech XD.
Visually it looks alright, even by 3DS standards. The VA is good. It's interesting how you can change the language and pitch level you will say things in. I was pretending to be a deep voiced Italian XD. It plays really well, so that impressed me.

Only played 1 online match so far but I can say it's very fun. I can see myself becoming addicted, just in the demo. But replays are too long.
It's not a bad game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My issue with that Sonic article wasn't really anything to do with calling this or that game bad (I mean it was a bit wily nilly with that but that's expected). It was more the angle of "Sonic was DOOMED to be bad"...because no. There is so many things wrong with that, the first thing that Sonic as an entire franchise has never been entirely bad. It had a few bad eggs, but people just like to exaggerate them. And it disregarded a lot of stuff like really oversimplifying characters, and trying to say "Sonic is reactionary to Mario", which I don't think is absolutely true. I can also point out many things Mario took from Sonic. I can point out many instants of Mario games and Nintendo in general being tone deaf. I can point out many poor game design philosophies that Miyamoto represents. And I would also like to point out how Yuji Naka ended up making a game that took better advantage of the Wii than Miyamoto ever did.

So I really think the whole "Sonic/SEGA should be more like Mario/Nintendo" is absurd. Both franchises have their ups and downs, people just like to exaggerate Sonic's downs and totally ignore Mario's downs.

If we're gonna list Sonic games from Adventure onwards and what we think of them (gonna stick with main 3D games since those are the main point of contention):

Adventure
: Technically very unpolished by today's standards (which isn't a fair criticism to call it a "bad" game because you can say this about any early 3D platformer, including Super Mario 64 an Banjo-Kazooie), especially the DX version. But most of the design philosophies are on point and hold up. If they remade Adventure with the years of experience and new technology Sonic Team has now, and polished it, it would be a phenomenal game.

Adventure 2: Technically holds up better than it's predecessor (or at least the DX version), but it's quite botched from a design standpoint. While Adventure kept the core "guts" of a Sonic game (speed, exploration, platforming) in tact for at least Sonic's stages and seamlessly blended them, while everyone else served as a sort of alternate mini-game focusing on one of the above, Adventure 2 split them all up completely. Speed stages (Sonic/Shadow) were linear spectacles where trying to go off the beaten path usually resulted in a lost life or the game's bugs rearing their head. Platforming stages (Tails/Eggman) were just quite bland and the mechs felt way too heavy. Exploration stages (Knuckles/Rouge) were way too big for their own good, the hint system was terrible compared to SA1, and then there's the botched radar that absolutely did not need to be the way they were.

Heroes: Good, but flawed. Sort of like an in-between of SA1 and SA2. Once again seamlessly interacted the three core aspects of Sonic, but in a different way, by giving you three characters to switch between who had different abilities in each field. But it loved bottomless pits too much and enemies with big health bars. And generally pretty polished but still had some issues.

Shadow: Actually had some good ideas but was marred by terrible execution and mission design. While I am focusing on gameplay here, I want to say - Shadow with guns could have been more tonally appropriate if the game didn't take itself so seriously all of the time. Something more campy like Devil May Cry could have worked, as far as tone goes.

Secret Rings: It's pretty underrated and gets way more hate than it deserves, I think people mostly rip on this one because it's the cool thing to do, to be honest. I think it's basically the Star Fox: Zero of Sonic - controls aren't horrible or unresponsive, it's just a radically different control scheme that takes getting used to. It's not amazing or anything, but I think it's a good game, and it has one of the best storylines in Sonic. And I will defend the ending too, I think that's mostly ripped on for no good reason and again, it's the cool thing to do. And why does nobody remember the awesome Party Mode? Easily one of the best party games I've ever played.

Sonic '06: Not much I could say that hasn't been said. I will say that I think the game would have been good if it was finished. Sonic's levels are actually really well designed, much like SA1, programming issues aside. And I have prove of this since I played a Sonic Generations mod that sort of "remakes" Sonic '06 in Sonic Generations.

Unleashed: I totally have nothing to say about this game......

Black Knight: Another underrated one. Gameplay is more solid than Secret Rings. Presentation is phenomenal. Has the single best representation of Sonic's character in anything, ever. Excellent use of theming in it's story, and just a great story all around. And hey, multiple characters to play as! Multiplayer was kinda bad though.

Colours: Great game, not without it's problems though. I didn't like the over abundance of 2D sections, and how blocky the 2D platforming could get. I also thought the controls were actually worse than Unleashed, because they had to make compromises for the Wii Remote/Nunchuck controls, and they carry over to Classic/Gamecube controls too. Quick Step and Drift had to be relegated to very specific sections and the abilities are unusable otherwise. Quick Step overrides regular turning when it pops up, and Drift overrides Boost. Drift sections also feel especially superfluous, they didn't have any obstacles and were just there as filler. Most of the Wisps are pretty great, though Cube was a bit meh. Also the filler acts were kinda meh, and were mandatory, would much rather playthrough Werehog stages. S Ranking stages also very oddly focused not on your time, but on your score from collecting Rings and from abusing Wisps, so S-Ranks were a boring thing to chase after. The multiplayer in this game was super fun though, and this game marked the first playable appearance of Super Sonic in a main 3D Sonic game.

Generations: Fantastic game, easily one of the best Sonic games. Modern Sonic's Seaside Hill in this game is arguably the best designed Sonic level in the history of the franchise, and is one of the best levels I've ever played in any game. And the same general quality holds up throughout the game. Only real criticism I have are the final boss is bad (but the other ones are all REALLY good, which is actually uncommon for Sonic), and the story had a lot of dropped potential. Like, there was so much potential for quirky interactions with the two Sonics but they didn't use it. Mods extended the life of this game greatly, though, so huge plus on that, even if it wasn't Sonic Team's intention.

Lost World: Another case of Heroes. Good, but flawed. Really polished, probably the most polished 3D Sonic game. Parkour was cool, though it could have been utilised better. Had some really good levels, and Tropical Coast Act 1 echoed Generations Seaside Hill for me, being one of the best designed 3D Sonic levels out there. But it also had a lot of...weird levels. Not even terrible, just weird and I don't see what the point of them was. Ultimately though, it's a perfectly good game, but nothing more than that.
I'll admit, Secret Rings was my first Sonic game and I honestly hated it, mainly due to the controls just being awkward and level progression being confusing. But even then...I played a ton of the Party Mode. :p

Chrono.

So I saw the new Color Splash footage and I actually found it charming and funny.

I'm sorry I failed everyone.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Rosalina has to officially have a real mech now. A big, cosmic sized Gundam or something.

I mean she has mechanical prowess so it could totally work.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
image is broken
Shows up fine for me.

It's just a paint job you can get from her amiibo in Federation Force, in any case.

-------------------------------

So some new artwork to celebrate the 3rd Anniversay of Kingdom Hearts Chi was released, and it depicts Sora in his KH3 outfit. It also shows Riku and Kairi in new outfits...so KH3 outfits for Riku and Kairi confirmed? Have they taken up the thug life?

People are mentioning these Ridley and Kraid costumes. Here I am hoping to see one of em

NOTE: the paint job only affects the helmet. The body of the mech just happens to be set to Indigo team.
NOTE 2: This is the EU requirement in NA it is apparently running 10k

Also yeah there is absolutely a Sylux helmet in this game. It's just a giant slit in the middle. LIQUID12A LIQUID12A

I guess the experimental Armor Sylux stle was actually just made for sports :troll:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do you guys know how to fix the "GPS signal not found" problem in Pokemon GO?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Do you guys know how to fix the "GPS signal not found" problem in Pokemon GO?
There's no real fix for that.

Servers are likely just acting up.

The game is coming out in Japan today, if it hasn't come out already, so...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's no real fix for that.

Servers are likely just acting up.

The game is coming out in Japan today, if it hasn't come out already, so...
I see.

Is that a big problem though? Does the game still work outside?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

NOTE: the paint job only affects the helmet. The body of the mech just happens to be set to Indigo team.
NOTE 2: This is the EU requirement in NA it is apparently running 10k

Also yeah there is absolutely a Sylux helmet in this game. It's just a giant slit in the middle. LIQUID12A LIQUID12A

I guess the experimental Armor Sylux stle was actually just made for sports :troll:
Can you show an image?

I mean, I believe you, I'd just like to see it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I see.

Is that a big problem though? Does the game still work outside?
I've had it randomly come up for me. It's not something you can fix, it's just the way the servers are, sometimes you get in and sometimes you don't.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Nope.

Haven't unlocked it and the window where I could take a (crappy) picture is too short.

Sorry :/
In that case, what have your unlock conditions been so far so that I can try and get it by aiming for those?

I know skin unlocks are randomized, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom