• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Overwatch is the winner.

Somewhat surprising but not that surprising.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Congratulations to Overwatch.

I've only dabbled with that free weekend thing, but I liked what I played. I love the character designs too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
TBH if triggering is actually a concern. . .under that definition of the word trigger the word "shill" made me feel more uncomfortable than anything in that spoiler.

It's OK to be skeptical as long as you're level headed and not raging or being overdramatic about it like. . .far more people concerning far more topics than should be logical, but the contexts I've seen "shill" used in make the word get under my skin a little every time I see it. I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it but it's one of my. . .less preferred words, if you will.

. . .At any rate, at least the whole town debate that may or may not still have been going on due to people having varying levels of knowledge about the situation will finally be done with. That's a blessed relief.
I was intentionally exaggerating.

I just mean that I really feel at this point that I can't make a single criticism against Nintendo without someone getting upset and trying to turn it into how I just have a bad attitude or whatever. At times, it does feel people are way too defensive of Nintendo.

But yes, the towns do look nice. One of them reminded me of Ordon Village from Twilight Princess and the Shire from Lord of the Rings at the same time.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Alright that is at least clever.... In fact it should have said that.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Then memes win,then they get triggered,then they lie about you,then they finally concede,then you get a 4 year term.

And thats a wrap 4 me...

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Is there anything for me in Overwatch as a single player if I had almost zero interest in TF2 and would be primarily interested in the lore? (I respect TF2, it's just not for me, like basically every multiplayer fps I've ever played).

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I missed the entire show because I was catching a bunch of Beldum.
*no one has a good nature*

**** it, I'll randomly grab one from the GTS.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It didn't seem to hinder the gameplay any. It wasn't completely horrendous. It was running on the Wii U as well and considering the scope and scale of the game the system probably DOES have trouble keeping up.
It does hinder the gameplay. The enemies are more intelligent here, and stuff like the Flurry Rush and aiming arrows requires timing which needs smooth frame rate.

"It's the Wii U version" is not an excuse. It's the original platform the game is being developed on, and is the version I actually plan to buy. That may change if I don't see improvement.

This could very well be the same build as E3. You could explore outside the plateau in that build and thus it's not out of the question this could be the very same one. Also, framerate issues aren't a priority issue in game development. It's kinda like the iron out process at the end of development. They'll have the game working so they can show it off but not perfect. And, again, Wii U.
I'm well aware of how game development works. And I'm going to have to correct you on that - frame rate is NOT an end of development priority, it's a CONSTANT priority. Many games actually have their game logic (stuff like physics and such - something BotW has a big emphasis on, by the way) tied to the frame rate. If your frame rate isn't optimised early on, then it actually makes the game harder to test down the line.

Mm, not completely. Xenoblade X had a lot of Pop in and slow down during its first showings both in the first trailer and E3.
Xenoblade is not a first party game, it's made by a non-Nintendo studio, the IP is simply owned by Nintendo. The main dev team for BotW is Nintendo EAD, who always have silky smooth games even in previews. I can forgive frame drops in certain parts, but it's getting worrying.

That's what Horizon is all about though, spectacle. It is and will be graphics and art first, gameplay later. If you've seen any gameplay of Horizon it all looks rather similar. Run around a bit, shoot some robot Dino's, run around some more. You could say the same about Zelda as well but all things considered we've barely seen over 1% based on what we've been told. While Horizon has been shown far more.
No, Horizon is not all about spectacle. It has just as much interactivity as Zelda.

Also, how has Horizon shown far more? We have seen a few very contained sequences and areas from that game. BotW we literally have 100s of hours of footage of, and we have seen a bunch of areas. You also have no proof that Horizon has gone beyond showing 1% of it's game world either.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I was intentionally exaggerating.

I just mean that I really feel at this point that I can't make a single criticism against Nintendo without someone getting upset and trying to turn it into how I just have a bad attitude or whatever. At times, it does feel people are way too defensive of Nintendo.

But yes, the towns do look nice. One of them reminded me of Ordon Village from Twilight Princess and the Shire from Lord of the Rings at the same time.
I get the feeling both sides of criticism tend to overcompensate due to the other's actions.

People acting overly defensive because they've had to read some truly bitter things and they're a bit sick of it, people acting overly offensive because they're tired of all the defensiveness. . .somewhere out there likely exist a few trolls and horribly abrasive people who set off the domino effect in the first place and left the world to burn.

If the people being defensive are looking the same places I am, then there's no real wondering why they're bristling up because most of the popular arenas for communication are overly bitter if not outright childish. If someone is injured badly enough then even just touching the spot hurts pretty badly. The same probably goes for subconscious emotional damage as well.

So does it cause a lighter form of triggered behavior in people who aren't thick-skinned?. . .Possibly, yes. And since cyberbullying is considered to be real and the things said in countless places are incredibly rude and harsh, it's perfectly understandable that some people might be a bit emotionally strained.

The sad part about exaggeration is that things like that are tossed around so often that me being horrible at social cues as I am I can't even tell what's a Poe half the time.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Is there anything for me in Overwatch as a single player if I had almost zero interest in TF2 and would be primarily interested in the lore? (I respect TF2, it's just not for me, like basically every multiplayer fps I've ever played).
Honestly, no.
There are 3 single-player things in the game.
The Tutorial, The Shooting Range to test a character, and the 1v1 "Mystery Duel" mode.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That didn't really do anything to increase my Zelda hype. Not that it's diminished at all, but I figured the game would have... characters and... towns. lol

None of them were defined enough to really get worked up about imo.

Still very much looking forward to the game, but the VGAs could've come and gone with no Zelda and I'd be pretty much in the same place.

D

Deleted member

The best part was Kojima getting the Industry Icon award. He earned it.

Enjoyed the new BotW trailer. Nice to see more of the expansive game world.

Not surprised that Xenoblade X didn't win best RPG. Haven't played Witcher 3, but good for it.

I honestly expected Uncharted 4 to win GotY, but like Swamp said, Overwatch winning it wasn't that surprising.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm sort of shocked Overwatch won Game of the Year.

I thought if anyone was going to upset Uncharted 4's chances it was going to be Doom.

All three great games though.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Member Battleborn?

Me neither.
I don't like Gearbox and Randy Pitchford but man leave Battleborn alone, that game has suffered enough

No Man Sky included too.

Which begs the question what was the most disappointing game of this year?

No Man's Sky
Battleborn
Mighty Number 9
Star Fox Zero (sorry Swampy)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't like Gearbox and Randy Pitchford but man leave Battleborn alone, that game has suffered enough

No Man Sky included too.

No Man's Sky
Battleborn
Mighty Number 9
I will never stop, and not just because that was literally the first time I've ever mentioned Battleborn. :p

And SF0 because that was the only one of those I cared about, lol.

In general though probs NMS.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of the show itself though, I had a lot of fun watching it.

Awards were nice and varied, games were generally cool to see, and most importantly, a lot of people got some well deserved recognition.

It kinda lost a bit of luster towards the end, but I'm tired so that may have had something to do with it, along with BotW being a bit of a letdown.

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade is not a first party game, it's made by a non-Nintendo studio, the IP is simply owned by Nintendo.
1. Monolith is a Nintendo-owned studio.
2. This statement contradicts itself. Being owned by Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft for that matter) = first party.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

What bugs me most is the guy that has a tiny head and a huge body

And he just happens to be next to that girl that has a large head in comparison to her body

That 4 armed thing looks kind stupid

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Gearbox should've just print off a bunch of Overwatch cover slips and placed them over copies of Battleborn in stores.

Hell, someone at Gearbox is probably thinking of that as a way to save the game right now,

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Honestly, it was kind of disappointing for me too.

But I'd still consider it a good game as I did have fun with it.

Unlike one OTHER Nintendo game I played this year...

Photo Finder....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
1. Monolith is a Nintendo-owned studio.
2. This statement contradicts itself. Being owned by Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft for that matter) = first party.
No, first party means it's developed in-house (Super Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing - all developed by Nintendo EAD, Nintendo R&D1, or another studio with "Nintendo" in the name)

Second party means it's developed by another studio, but the IP is owned by Nintendo (Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kirby, Pokémon. All developed by their respective companies I'm sure you're familiar with). A second party game actually doesn't require you own the studio, but yes, Nintendo do own some of the studios of their second party games.

Third party is just completely unaffiliated in any official capacity and their games are licensed to be on the system (SEGA, Capcom, Namco, etc)

Also, if you need extra evidence of how Xenoblade is not first party, Sakurai has actually mentioned it was difficult to get Shulk into Smash for that very reason.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlkeWRiCQ

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, first party means it's developed in-house (Super Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing - all developed by Nintendo EAD, Nintendo R&D1, or another studio with "Nintendo" in the name)

Second party means it's developed by another studio, but the IP is owned by Nintendo (Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kirby, Pokémon. All developed by their respective companies I'm sure you're familiar with). A second party game actually doesn't require you own the studio, but yes, Nintendo do own some of the studios of their second party games.

Third party is just completely unaffiliated in any official capacity and their games are licensed to be on the system (SEGA, Capcom, Namco, etc)
The only thing you got right is third-party.

Xeno L7 is correct.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

No Man Sky included too.

No Man's Sky
Battleborn
Mighty Number 9
I don't think Star Fox qualifies if it was a series with mixed reception beforehand. Only so much disappointment you can logically have if you know what you're getting into. Other terms could be applied, but in terms of disappointment? Not even in the same LEAGUE as at the very least NMS and MN9 (didn't see anyone talk about Battleborn where I've been reading). And even without that, as bad as the backlash was it wasn't outright memetic like the backlash to those two.

In terms of user reviews No Man's Sky seems to have taken the cake. In terms of height fallen from, I only saw the initial reaction to Mighty Number 9, so I don't really have a comparison, but the whole "Mega Man is dead, Inafune will save us now" narrative was thick as molasses at the start. Which left me, my lack of desire for something with the serial numbers filed off, and my remembrance of what his last project was with his name plastered all over it kind of left out as everyone celebrated their hero and savior.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

That's actually false.

1st party means you own the IP.
2nd means you share it.
3rd means you don't own it at all.

Also, if you need extra evidence of how Xenoblade is not first party, Sakurai has actually mentioned it was difficult to get Shulk into Smash for that very reason.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlkeWRiCQ
I don't think that's in reference to his licensing.

The quote could refer to gameplay or its niche placement in their lineup. It's not clear at all.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well, I'll probably write a little post mortem/ my thoughts after those two and a quarter of my hours consumed in front of my computer.
* Both Inside and That Dragon, Cancer look to be great indie games that are well deserving of their awards. Although I've yet to play either, That Dragon, Cancer looks to be a very powerful and emotional work, and Inside's style looks great too.

* Pokémon Go's awards are pretty decent. It's a big catalyst for the Pokémon revival that's been experienced throughout the 20th anniversary, and helped bring the series to fans both new and old.

* Street Fighter V winning is very iffy for me. It played well, and Rashid and F.A.N.G were my (only) favourite newcomers to the series, but it just really puts a bad taste in my mouth as to how rushed it was. I'm giving them until they add an Arcade Mode for Capcom to truly win me back, but that depends if their hypothetical Season 2 is better than launch.

* Dishonored 2 winning best Action/Adventure was a bit out of the blue, but probably well deserved on Arkane's part. Maybe later today I'll try out the first game. I also look forward to seeing what Arkane will be doing with Prey - that looks to be very intriguing.

* It was incredibly heartwarming to see Kojima look so overjoyed at being given the award that he was deserving of. Death Stranding looks to be as bizarre as ever, but hopefully the gameplay can shine amongst the cinematic style as well - or complement it.

* Zelda - Breath of the Wild is looking to be very interesting. The first trailer from the start of the show got me interested, but unfortunately I didn't see enough of the gameplay from when they showed it since my MacBook went a bit laggy. However, I still eagerly anticipate it, and hope that it'll deliver.

* *Breathes* OKAY I STILL HAVE A BIAS AGAINST THE WITCHER 3, BUT I INTEND TO TRY OUT THE GAME AND SEE IF IT REALLY IS WORTH IT'S PRAISE AND HYPE. *Un-caps locks*

* I really can't say anything bad about Doom, other than how much space it takes on the hard drive. It's great, and Mick Gordon, being Killer Instinct's composer, delivers a metal soundtrack fitting of Doom's fast-paced brutality.

* I remember hearing about Lawbreakers trying to sort of imagine itself as a 'Mortal Kombat' version of Overwatch. Not exactly interested in it.

* The sudden talk about Gearbox makes it disappointing they didn't show Borderlands 3 or something, but that Bulletstorm game looks kinda cool, though. I don't know if Borderlands 3 will end up in the pile of third games that don't ever exist at all and remain non-existent as a mystery for the world to ponder its existence. Like Half-Life and Kingdom Hearts 3.

* Telltale doing Guardians of the Galaxy? Sign me and my cousin up for that.

* Uncharted 4 also did pretty well too.

* Mass Effect Andromeda looked really good. I can say I am pretty intrigued as to what the game may hold, so maybe after I've played through the Trilogy, I can probably and appropriately call myself a fan of Mass Effect.

* Lastly, Overwatch. A well-earned victory for Blizzard. Even though I completely sucked at it just before the start of the show, Overwatch has breathed a lot of new life into the FPS Genre - revitalising several concepts founded upon by Team Fortress 2, and presenting a colourful world filled with rich characters and engaging storytelling through a variety of means. Aka Sombre's ARG

All in all; I think this has been a pretty neat Game Awards. Some semi-surprises, but most importantly - a celebration of what it is that makes these games an important part to millions and millions of people around the world.

I guess I'll just give myself a break from the computer and just read some books now. Later everyone.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Every vague statement ever made by Sakurai (read: 90% of statements made by Sakurai) are seen as validating the argument you'd personally like to validate.

That Sakurai quote doesn't look like anything to me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only thing you got right is third-party.

Xeno L7 is correct.
No he isn't. First party developers develop exclusively for the console manufacturer, and are considered in-house (meaning they share the name of the overall company).

Second party developers are companies that may be under contract to work with a company's IPs for a period of time, or may consistently develop a certain game franchise for a company under a contract. But they aren't necessarily always owned by the company.

For example, Game Freak. They develop the Pokémon games, but they actually do have games on other systems.

EDIT: The Sakurai quote isn't vague, he says "the kind of character that normally wouldn't appear". Not "hard to implement". Non-first party characters are the ones that don't normally appear that often in Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom