• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Shutdown [GLOBAL] - May 20

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
North America: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw
Japan: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2014/0227.html
Australia: http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?pageID=6&action=news&sectionID=1

This DOES NOT affect the Wii or DS shops.

Other services unaffected are:

-DS(i) Browser
-Demae Channel (Wii)
-Hulu (Wii)
-Youtube (Wii)
-Internet Channel (Wii)
-Paid services

It seems to affect every game that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for its online, including Mario Kart Wii & DS, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, DS Pokemon titles, The Last Story, Animal Crossing Wide World & Metroid Prime Hunters.

End my service if old.

Nintendo Video for 3DS will also be ending in Japan on March 31st.

This also affects Wii Speak and Wii Speak Channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Congratulations Nintendo on another incredibly daft decision that sends you downhill, fast. People will want to play MKWii and Brawl online before their respective sequels are released, and you Nintendo, have just pulled the plug on that. So easy to kill so many communities in just one fell swoop when you have power isn't that right? Yes the wifi services for these games are like 7 years old, but you could at least keep the service up for a little longer so we can play something online of yours.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
i'm glad i looked before i posted. i was just about to make this same topic. really imo i don't see how any of this effects any one of us (The Smashers). The Mario Kart Wii Community, oh yea it's going to hit them really hard but Melee didn't have online either and look how well it came out Melee is the most popular of the 4 games (I say 4 because i'm counting project Melee as a game as well) and there are groups/clans in various parts of the world. Hell A *** player invaded America and took 9th at the main event of smash brothers with Yoshi of all people. The live reactions i think are really valuable to me and probably explains why i love the smash community as a whole. So I say good riddance to the wifi connection it wasn't that legendary to begin with (The connection)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
i'm glad i looked before i posted. i was just about to make this same topic. really imo i don't see how any of this effects any one of us (The Smashers). The Mario Kart Wii Community, oh yea it's going to hit them really hard but Melee didn't have online either and look how well it came out Melee is the most popular of the 4 games (I say 4 because i'm counting project Melee as a game as well) and there are groups/clans in various parts of the world. Hell A *** player invaded America and took 9th at the main event of smash brothers with Yoshi of all people. The live reactions i think are really valuable to me and probably explains why i love the smash community as a whole. So I say good riddance to the wifi connection it wasn't that legendary to begin with (The connection)
this post is a giant middle finger to those people who liked playing wi-fi

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
this post is a giant middle finger to those people who liked playing wi-fi
I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I play Project M online as well. Granted I enjoyed playing Project M online as well but isn't smashboards the whole reason for the smash community to meet each other. Everyone in this entire website met people and became friends. The Smash is a friendly community (To a Extent there are your bad apples but the good def out weighs the bad)

I was only trying to say that Project M Will bring more people together just as much as melee did. I Apologize if it seemed to come out that way, I do not mean any disrespect to anyone and i'm not giving a middle finger to anyone.

WIth that in mind let me recant my statement.

While i'm upset that the wifi will be removed, this will give a lot of project M players (Like myself) To actually get involved with the community physically. Project M is growing if it isn't obvious already. Also i apoligize if i sounded like a giant ass in the previous post. My Ps3/Xbox online expirence wasn't that good and i was kinda carried that paranoia over to the Nintendo wifi community

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I cannot say what I think about this incredibly stupid decision on Smashboards for fear of instantly getting banned.
Basic Brawl's connection was good, I had friends there. There was a really good Fox on there, and we had friendlies every time we meet. I'll never get to play him again. Then there was another player and we practiced ICs chaingrabs on each other, and had fun doing lots of ATs and stuff. I'll never get to see him again. No-one I know plays Brawl well. I'll be stuck with the Lv. 9s.

61 games were affected by this.
Including the whole Pokemon community. All 16 games.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Basic Brawl's connection was good, I had friends there. There was a really good Fox on there, and we had friendlies every time we meet. I'll never get to play him again.
Was the fox player red? We probably played the same guy but no one knows who he is. :(

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Was the fox player red? We probably played the same guy but no one knows who he is. :(
He was red everything.
Luigi, Peach, Sonic were his mains i think
I don't think I've ever seen you, unless you were that... light blue (i think?) Yoshi i saw like last year

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Now that you mentioned it I definitely remember him having a red Sonic too. Now I'm tempted to go try and find him, hard to know if he even still comes on anymore...

Back on topic we may as well embrace our last couple months of wifi before it's gone forever...(which is actually really unthinkable to me)

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
He was the ONE good player I could fight with a decent FPS.
( ¡ _ ¡ )
I never got his FC...

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
North America: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw
Japan: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2014/0227.html
Australia: http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?pageID=6&action=news&sectionID=1

This DOES NOT affect the Wii or DS shops.

Other services unaffected are:

-DS(i) Browser
-Demae Channel (Wii)
-Hulu (Wii)
-Youtube (Wii)
-Internet Channel (Wii)
-Paid services

It seems to affect every game that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for its online, including Mario Kart Wii & DS, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, DS Pokemon titles, The Last Story, Animal Crossing Wide World & Metroid Prime Hunters.

End my service if old.

Nintendo Video for 3DS will also be ending in Japan on March 31st.

This also affects Wii Speak and Wii Speak Channel.
This will sure put a stump in my progression to get better in brawl. :( I'm gonna also miss all my wifi buddies,it was knowing you guys while it lasted.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
End of an era really. I feel like this was done to force fans to upgrade to Wii U.
Could well be, it'd work if it had games to play at this point in time >_> (It's getting there, slowly but surely...)

The Wii U is really gonna rake in the moneyz when MK8 and smash 4 hit the shelves however :D

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Could well be, it'd work if it had games to play at this point in time >_> (It's getting there, slowly but surely...)

The Wii U is really gonna rake in the moneyz when MK8 and smash 4 hit the shelves however :D
Yeah. I wonder how this will affect the Brawl Community? I know the Melee Community has gotten by without wifi for years. I figured Nintendo would do this, but only after Smash 4's release.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I think it's possible Brawl could just fit into another Melee slot and just end up being "that game that some people play because they didn't like the sequel". I think the Brawl offline community will be fine since most don't play Wi-Fi anyway.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations Nintendo on another incredibly daft decision that sends you downhill, fast. People will want to play MKWii and Brawl online before their respective sequels are released, and you Nintendo, have just pulled the plug on that.
uhm dude... Mario Kart 8 is released ten days after the shutdown. I agree that they should've started by just stopping some games though.

JNewton

Smash Rookie
Kill me please.

Damn, I don't have ANY player around to play with. But yeah, nothing to do.

Ultarix

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcus45662
I literally only know one other person who can play Project M with me, and he lives in another state. I hope to god the Project M team finds a way to host their own servers or something for online. I can't afford to go out and just go to tourneys or something as much as I'd like to. Plus I dont think my grandma would really drive me far to a tournament.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Well the shutdown's a huge slap in the face to me and my many friends who play online Brawl every once in a while.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Wait... l-ike f-orever? Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Why this decision? Why? What will happen to PM?
It's probably because Nintendo used Gamespy matchmaking tech and not their own.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...illing_off_online_play_for_ds_and_wii/cfqbe6h

Outsourcing wasn't the right move to make with this IMO. I understand that it was cheaper, but this is probably a textbook example of the effects of making a decision thinking only of the short term.

Edit for Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameSpy#History
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/nintendo-terminating-wi-fi-service-for-ds-and-wii

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Well I'll be damned. Not only is this revolving those Gamespy hosting things and finally giving the message we've feared... but in addition, it's also relating to the fact that Nintendo is desperate to have people get the Wii U and not treat it as a lavish upgrade. I understand that these things happen, but this is a giant punch in the face and it's a little too soon. I occasionally played Brawl online, and I won't be affected as much, but my respects and condolences to dedicated online Brawlers and the entire Brawl Online Discussion Forum. This is quite saddening to see a slightly hasty, but possibly forced decision by Nintendo because the Gamespy tech was likely short decision.

Last edited:

Periwinkle

Smash Apprentice
-LzR-

Smash Hero
The link doesn't even appear to work.
Anyways it's futile. I expect a huge raise in popularity for the Dolphin online scene.

Top Bottom