• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo targets TASes on Youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningDragon

Smash Rookie
I managed to track down a mirror of PangeaPanga's most popular video, a TAS of a romhack. A romhack meant to be nigh impossible for normal human hands to play, and bears very little resemblance to the original game anymore. Please, watch it and explain to me how this spoils The Whole Game for viewers.
He didn't say anything about TAS of romhacks. Nor did he even say that this applies to all TASs. If you're going to argue against something, at least don't misrepresent it.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Well that's what was taken down here. So if that's not what he's arguing against, then who's misrepresenting what now?

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
"It makes total sense that Nintendo wants to take down these TASs since they provide The Whole Game and spoil them for viewers"

"That's not what these TASs were."

"Well obviously we weren't talking about the TASs this thread is about!"

MLGF

Smash Lord
I should start a drinking game every time Bleck looks like he's starting **** for the sake of starting **** rather then being productive.

I guess the better question is why there are some people who still don't have him on ignore, but hey.

LightningDragon

Smash Rookie
"It makes total sense that Nintendo wants to take down these TASs since they provide The Whole Game and spoil them for viewers"

"That's not what these TASs were."

"Well obviously we weren't talking about the TASs this thread is about!"
What you're saying makes absolutely makes no sense. Can you stop speaking for the opposition?

I should start a drinking game every time Bleck looks like he's starting **** for the sake of starting **** rather then being productive.

I guess the better question is why there are some people who still don't have him on ignore, but hey.
Stating an opinion you disagree with = looking like he's starting **** for the sake of starting ****.
Okay then.

Edit: Just because someone defends Nintendo's decision doesn't necessarily mean that they like it. What Nintendo did sucks, but they have a perfectly valid reason for doing so. In business, you sometimes have to make unpopular decisions to keep your company alive and protect the integrity of your copyrights and trademarks. If Nintendo can't protect their IPs, then they can't keep making and selling products. Which will result in them going out of business.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
They never refer to backups as anything more than "unauthorized".
The tools that one would use to make copies are only illegal if they're being used to make copies in a capacity that is not sanctioned by Nintendo. If the laws regarding such copying were phrased in such a way as to say that all copies of data contained on physical media were illegal, any game developer's game development process would be illegal.

The reason why they specifically use the word "unauthorized" is because the action of copying/writing data to physical mediums is not the focus of the laws; it's whether or not said data has been authorized to be copied or written.

A romhack meant to be nigh impossible for normal human hands to play, and bears very little resemblance to the original game anymore. Please, watch it and explain to me how this spoils The Whole Game for viewers.
I don't have to, because a romhack is an unauthorized modification of code that is owned by Nintendo, and as such is by nature illegal? Nintendo can take down every video of every romhack ever, TAS or not, and there'd be nothing anybody could do about it.

But as long as I'm here, your problem here is that you're taking my argument (Nintendo wants to limit the existence of media that demonstrates an unreasonable amount of a game that they own and are presumably trying to sell in a capacity that doesn't include commentary or criticism) and applying it to something that I wasn't talking about (romhacks are not the same thing as the games that they spawned from, nor are they relevant to this discussion).

I should start a drinking game where I drink every time some scared little boy talks about putting me on ignore

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guess we're just trying to be lawyers in here then? Initial thread had a bit to do with PM, but subject matter has clearly devolved into something that has nothing to do with Project M. Locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom