• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Nintendo says GameCube Controller Adapter only works with Smash Bros

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...I was thinking of buying the Gamecube Adapter.
Now I'm not.
AIN'OBODY GOT TIME FO' DAT.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Okay, that's kind of lame. I wouldn't care if that particular special SSB Controller was, but the whole thing? I think I may stick to my Gamepad now. I'm not going to pay a ton of cash for incompatible crap.

On the other hand, maybe they do mean it's just the current version and you can download updates to fix this. It's not impossible, even. I think.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
...sigh :( they got our hopes up earlier when they said otherwise

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm still going to buy it because ssb with GC = not wasting time to get used to another controler scheme + GC is awesome :)

GC...

Tough, wind waker hd without GC :(

At least ssb4 with GC is a thing tough.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I think if you're getting a game + adapter bundle and already own GC controllers then it's worth it. Otherwise not, it's a huge loss not to have this working globally for every game in my opinion.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Aw man. That sucks.
I'm still gonna buy the adapter though. Even if it is just for smash bros.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
This is still cheaper than buying 3-4 Wiiu Pro controllers (even if you don't have GC controllers yet) :o

I'm certainly getting the special Smash WiiU edition!

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Why would you want a controller for one game...?
A lot of people still have GC Controllers, you know? And there are a lot of games with peripherals for just 1 or few games. Nothing unusual.

@TopiC
They could at least enable it for upcoming games...

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
A lot of people still have GC Controllers, you know? And there are a lot of games with peripherals for just 1 or few games. Nothing unusual.

@TopiC
They could at least enable it for upcoming games...
A few games is monumentally different than ONE game.
I'm not talking about a few, I'm talking about paying 50+ dollars for a controller to play ONE game.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I wasn't planning to play with it on any other game anyway.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not talking about a few, I'm talking about paying 50+ dollars for a controller to play ONE game.
It's not the controller. It's the Adapter(the thing that's being sold, and one controller, when you can buy multiples of), so everybody can easily play Smash Wii U on your system without any form of batteries. It's hardly the same thing alone. If it was a single player game, your point might be a bit stronger, but 4 players using one adapter is an entirely different story.

Just because you don't find it worth it doesn't mean some won't. Even for one game, it may be enough. And it doesn't matter how different they are. It's a matter of "is that worth it overall?" There is no right answer for that. There's just an opinion.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
How many people do you think bought the Wii Balance Board for more than just ONE game? Hm?

Some people buy entire consoles for ONE game. You don't, okay. But some people want and can afford it.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
How many people do you think bought the Wii Balance Board for more than just ONE game? Hm?

Some people buy entire consoles for ONE game. You don't, okay. But some people want and can afford it.
The Wii Balance Board was used for more then 1 game you know...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Wii Balance Board was used for more then 1 game you know...
It was intended for one. That's his point.

I bought the 360 Elite for Sonic 06. XD This so much. It's all a matter of preference. Logic isn't always at play here. "Worthwhile" is the more notable thing.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Yeah,my excitement just sunk down.

Just goes to show you that the ggc bundle was created especially for those certain group of people that participate in the tournament scene,but yeah it's use being striped to only one game is a bummer.

Last edited:

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
well what did you expect? Had they wanted GC controls for a ton of games they wouldn't have made an adapter.. the Wii U would have had the ports built in.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation

Worst example ever. Congratulations. lmao...

And yeah no **** I don't like it and some will, nice observation--
Guess what? Some people DON'T LIKE IT, while some people do.
So if I can't comment on how it's stupid that it only works for one game, guess you can't exclaim your excitement either?
Pick one.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
It's not the controller. It's the Adapter(the thing that's being sold, and one controller, when you can buy multiples of), so everybody can easily play Smash Wii U on your system without any form of batteries. It's hardly the same thing alone. If it was a single player game, your point might be a bit stronger, but 4 players using one adapter is an entirely different story.

Just because you don't find it worth it doesn't mean some won't. Even for one game, it may be enough. And it doesn't matter how different they are. It's a matter of "is that worth it overall?" There is no right answer for that. There's just an opinion.
Why is everyone getting so uptight?
Like, yeah no duh people are going to buy it even if I don't like it... did I ever say otherwise once? Did I ever say if you buy it you're a moron etc?
Like, sorry for sharing my opinion ffs.

the8thark

Smash Lord
well what did you expect? Had they wanted GC controls for a ton of games they wouldn't have made an adapter.. the Wii U would have had the ports built in.
Not so. Nintendo would still have made the adapter. Simply as a profit making device. New controllers for new systems are there for profits as much as for something new.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
How difficult it would be to patch mario kart 8 to support it?! seriously ? That's just lazy

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Imo people need to stop living in the past. If you prefer the gamecube controls, this is for you, however can't we just adapt to the perfectly fine controls of the gamepad/Pro Controller? I see no need to buy an adapter that functions only with one game, albeit Smash Bros.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Imo people need to stop living in the past. If you prefer the gamecube controls, this is for you, however can't we just adapt to the perfectly fine controls of the gamepad/Pro Controller? I see no need to buy an adapter that functions only with one game, albeit Smash Bros.
It's more about options rather than catering to the past here I think.

- Wiimote
- WiiU Pro controller
- GC controller
- WiiU gamepad
- 3DS (not sure if this is true)

Lots of different control schemes there for SSB WiiU. Maybe a few too many but you can't argue Nintendo is not giving us the choice here.

I am just a little sad that the Wii white classic controller is not an option as well. I really would want to play SSB WiiU with that.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
It's more about options rather than catering to the past here I think.

- Wiimote
- WiiU Pro controller
- GC controller
- Wiiu gamepad
- 3DS (not sure if this is true)

Lots of different control schemes there for SSB WiiU. Maybe a few too many but you can't argue Nintendo is not giving us the choice here.
I'm glad Nintendo is giving us options, however I was referring to the people I see everywhere on the boards who whine about not having GameCube controls.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Here's a translation for people that can't read in company speak (literally all of you in this thread so far):

"Games have to be designed for compatibility for this, there are no plans to update any existing games to allow use for the Adapter."

What's already come out might be stuck without GC controls, but you can expect some future games (that are playable with the Wii pro controller) to have GC compatibility since those developers can actually program GC in as a control option after this launches. You don't develop games while thinking about control options that don't yet exist, guys.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'm glad Nintendo is giving us options, however I was referring to the people I see everywhere on the boards who whine about not having GameCube controls.
To your point I agree. People always whinge about that they don't have (no GC controller or certain characters not in the game etc etc) and can't just accept the game for what it is. Sure SSB WiiU is just a compromise game because of the 3DS version, but I am ok with that. Sure many of us (me included) have to wait 2 extra weeks for the WiiU version (and deal with many NA people bragging about this fact), but I'm ok with that. I have more patience than those people have and can live my life for those 2 weeks without Smash 4 in it.

I think people need to be grateful for what they do have and not complain so much about what they do not have.

"Games have to be designed for compatibility for this, there are no plans to update any existing games to allow use for the Adapter."
It's more like this:
"Adding Gamecube controller support to existing games will not generate Nintendo any additional profits so it wont be done."

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I'm really not pleased with this. Playing Smash 4 with a Gamecube controller is still the ideal method, but what excuse is there to not include Wii functionality? I really hope Nintendo reconsiders before the release date because I'm honestly wondering whether to even bother picking one up.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
To your point I agree. People always whinge about that they don't have (no GC controller or certain characters not in the game etc etc) and can't just accept the game for what it is. Sure SSB WiiU is just a compromise game because of the 3DS version, but I am ok with that. Sure many of us (me included) have to wait 2 extra weeks for the WiiU version (and deal with many NA people bragging about this fact), but I'm ok with that. I have more patience than those people have and can live my life for those 2 weeks without Smash 4 in it.

I think people need to be grateful for what they do have and not complain so much about what they do not have.
People act so entitled over eeeeeverything.

Last edited:

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
Would it be so hard to atleast let it work on wii-Mode?
I had a few N64 games I wanted to replay with the GC controller but I guess even that was too hard for them, even though all those games are already designed to have GC controls.

the8thark

Smash Lord
People act so entitled over eeeeeverything.

Any reason why you chose that particular spoiler image, one that is typically associated with NA and the USA? I'm just curious, that's all.

(can't remove the 2nd blank spoiler tag. I don't know why.)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Would it be so hard to atleast let it work on wii-Mode?
I had a few N64 games I wanted to replay with the GC controller but I guess even that was too hard for them, even though all those games are already designed to have GC controls.
Unfortunately, yes. Every game needs to made for it first. Which means we could get more.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's more like this:
"Adding Gamecube controller support to existing games will not generate Nintendo any additional profits so it wont be done."
Is this a problem?

It takes real development time to make this stuff work, and these teams from older games are all dissolved to work on new stuff. The only people this effects are people who haven't bought these games yet but are planning to. If the games had compatibility you wouldn't even go back and play them with a GC controller, you're just ******** about it because you can't.

The only thing that really should matter to us is if future games can use GC, not past ones. Developers are now able to use GC controllers as a control option if they want to, now it's up to THEM if the GC will get more use than Smash or not.

Top Bottom