• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Press Conference

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wait, wait. Moar good rap is found in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDs-lPmIUec

And it's Melee, too!

Moar Nintendo hype, people. Less hate.

Smooth Criminal
Moar opinion that I highly disagree with.
And I'm pretty content to hate and forget Nintendo at the moment, thank you very much.

Disagreeing with an opinion is just as much of an opinion as an opinion is. That's something that everyone who hides behind the great wall of "IMO" needs to learn, IMO.
Exactly my point....
I'm allowed to disagree with your opinion, and you're allowed to have your opinion. Don't say I'm a buzzkill for having a different one.

it doesn't. It's just that God Hand wasn't as gory, and I was pointing it out.
Ah. You made it sound like "much more gore" was making it better.
Either way, I wouldn't judge how good a game is purely on those who are making it. Sega made the great original Sonic games, even made great games more recently with the Sonic Adventure games, but has made horrible games recently, like Shadow the Hedgehog and Secret Rings. And even if you insist that Secret Rings was good (god knows too many people do), surely there's at least one recent game you would classify as awful. Hopefully at least Shadow. But I digress, my point is that you can't assume a company will make a good game because they normally do.

If there's anything I've learned from being screwed over by Nintendo, it's that that's a bad mindset to have.

Oh come on, firus, let us have some fun for once. The over-the-top violence it's just entertaining is all. (Of course, you obviously can't completely rely on it, but it doesn't look like it's doing that, being made by most of the clover folks, who were some of the best modern game developers ever.)
Okay, I must be weird. Over-the-top violence just seems unnecessary and stupid to me.

..........AND?
Seriously, if you're going to judge a game just because it looks like a coloring book, you better expand your horizons a bit.
I think it's fair to be unhappy playing a game with black, white, and red. Oh, and gray.

It seems lazy and I imagine it would be hard to play. That's what makes some old games hard to play, it's hard to distinguish between one thing and another.

Oh well, I like them all except Death Chamber
As far as rap goes, they're okay. Death Chamber was actually one of the better ones to me. The level made me want to shoot something, but the music was pretty good (again, as far as rap goes).
Again, it's good for rap, but I loathe rap with a passion so I still wouldn't call it good.

Noo...I'm judging it because it has 3 colors. Its either

A)The Devs want to highlight the blood TO THE MAXXXXXXX
B) They're Lazy to put some color into it.

Hell Final fantasy 1 had more colors on the NES
Exactly. It's either just trying to make it as gory as possible (which is just unnecessary...honestly), or they're lazy.

And great point. NES games have more colors than that.

Technically it has more than that, if you count the SFX.

Anyways, I don't see how this matters at all. So the game's got a (totally awesome) sense of style. Why the hate?

1. If you can find me an M-rated game that isn't intended for the "hardcore" audience, I'll give you a cookie. M rating = hardcore. This is a fact.
...No, it's not. Lobelia Mk. IV brought up a good one.

Also, what's hardcore about 90% of M games? What's hardcore about GTA? It's not casual, but it's not hardcore either. There's nothing hardcore about shooting civilians. Nor is there something casual about it.

2. As far as the rap thing goes...you can have your opinions, but just know that you're wrong about this.

You can say "most rap = fail", or "the rap I hear on the radio/MTV/VH1 = fail", or something similar...but you can't realistically say an entire genre of music is bad. That'd be like me saying that every racing simulator or RTS is sh*t, just because I'm not a fan of the genre from what I've played (which, coincidentally, has basically been StarCraft and 40K).

You just haven't heard the right stuff yet.
No, I'm not.

There may be one or two exceptions to the rule, MAX. Everything that embodies rap is something I dislike. As music, I don't like it. It's background music with spoken word to a rhythm. And that's better rap. Worse rap (most rap these days) has the same noises repeated in the background with spoken word. Said spoken word generally consists of talk of sex or violence. There is NOTHING of value in that. Other rap has some value, but not enough to make me like it.

I'm not a fan of generalizations. But I've heard enough rap to say I hate the genre.

Nintendo conference= talking about rap?

amirte :D?

-:bowser:Bowser King
It had to do with Mad World.

kr3wman

Smash Master
...Wait, then what's Mortal Kombat's target demographic?

People who like bad fighting games? ZING

In any case, I am withholding your cookie for discerning reasons.
People who like Huge amounts of blood coming out of their victims.

IE : Casuals. No, I'm serious.

kr3wman

Smash Master
And also, I didn't like Cave Story that much. In my opinion, pretty much all the Metroid games beat it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Hahaha...?

How does that prove anything? I think that Super Mario Galaxy is bad, but apparently that's hardcore too.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Super Mario Galaxy is hardcore.

Where else can you see an overweight Italian plumber whose first name is also his last name save a princess from a giant, anthropomorphic turtle in outer space? Nowhere. Absolutely nowhere else.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Super Mario Galaxy is hardcore.

Where else can you see an overweight Italian plumber whose first name is also his last name save a princess from a giant, anthropomorphic turtle in outer space? Nowhere. Absolutely nowhere else.
Well, it's rather easy and casualized in my opinion...

But that was actually my point. How good the game is has nothing to do with how hardcore/casual it is.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
The sensible purpose of this is for people who missed the games to get them. This is not the reason Nintendo is remaking them. They're remaking it because while casuals might not have wanted to play Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin, etc. originally, now that they'll have motion controls the casual gamers will be clamoring for them. Also, as we've already seen in this thread, there are people who are going to be re-buying the game JUST because it has motion sensor. Do you think Nintendo didn't anticipate that? Also, you speak of Gamecube games like they're for the freakin' Super Nintendo. True, they are hard to find. But there's an easy solution (it's how I got Path of Radiance); order it! You'll probably pay less for the original, including shipping, than you will for the new one. It was LAST GENERATION. There's no excuse to remake them. In other words, Nintendo's just doing this to cash in on previous titles now that they've got a ton of casuals who will buy it because of motion sensor. And for everyone hoping for a Melee 2.0? Hah! Forget it! If you SERIOUSLY think that Melee will come back with online for the Wii, you're living in a dream world. I severely doubt Nintendo will do that. Aside from other things, it'd detract from Brawl's sales.

Do you REALLY think they remade RE4 for people who missed it last generation? No, they remade it because it was a very popular game which could easily add motion sensor and allow them to re-sell it.

Bah. /rant

Exactly what you said in the last paragraph, except less of it being obvious than it better be or this is idiotic.

It's better than what we have now, but right now we've got the equivalent of crap as far as storage goes and that would be only slightly better. Being able to store everything on the SD Card would be useful, but when it comes down to it if we can't play it off of the SD card it's going to cause a MAJOR inconvenience.
Also, I'm praying that someone finds a way to re-install the Homebrew Channel after the update. If it isn't already destroyed by a required update for a game, it will be destroyed by that update, I assure you.

This is exactly the problem. E3 sucked, and it proved further that Nintendo's a bunch of idiots, but it is NOT the culprit here. This started before E3.

It's good that we're not getting another Metroid? Really?

Since when do games flop because they're not Mario, Zelda, or Metroid?

We don't even know if Wind Waker is being remade yet. And if they remove the cel-shaded graphics, I'll be shocked. Also, if they do, I'll be pissed, because it allows close-minded morons who can't play a game because of the art style to enjoy the game. Seriously, if you can't stand the fact that Wind Waker had cel-shaded graphics, you don't deserve to play the game.

Yes, remakes still sell. Except this generation, for whatever reason, remakes don't seem to actually be worth it. Remakes nowadays are just "YAY WE LUV NINTENDOE BECAOS THEY HAV GRATE GAEMS WITH MOTION SENSORZ!", and it's stupid.

Again, why don't you try ordering them? It's not as if you're not able to get them. The originals are probably going to end up better than the remakes, and even if they're not, you owe it to yourself to play the original.

And how exactly am I a "disgrunted Nintendo purist"? I'm more of a guy pissed off because Nintendo's milking titles from LAST GENERATION by remaking them with gimmicky controls, and are still going to make massive amounts of money off of it.

I'm not whining, and no, I will not be quiet. You're happy with it? Great! I'm not, and I think it's moronic.

And the first person to tell me to not rain on other people's parade because I don't like it is going to get it.

You are either
1. The most pestamistic person on this forum.
2. Sped.
3. On Crack

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You are either
2. Sped.
3. On Crack
Stupid, obvious, moronic troll is stupid, obvious, and moronic.

First of all, you spelled "pessimistic" horribly wrong. Regardless, yes, I am pessimistic when it comes to Nintendo. With good reason. It may be pessimistic but it's also realistic given their history.

Secondly, I am going to take that by "sped" you mean "special ed". Which is just so nice and applicable to the conversation.

Thirdly, you're a troll, plain and simple. If you disagree with something I say, say what you disagree with and logically respond. Don't call me special ed, pessimistic, and a druggie.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You are either
2. Sped.
3. On Crack
**** you with a shovel.

Firus's argument is entirely valid and you come in here to slander him with, "you're pessimistic*, in special ed, or on crack," and you feel he's going to care? Agh, take it elsewhere.

ON TOPIC with the Nintendo Press Conference now.

While I am not blown away with these announcements, they are definitely relieving, and just as Miyamoto stated that E3 isn't the place for Nintendo, they have surely lived up to his words and redeemed themselves amongst the majority of people.

Punch-Out, Klonoa, Oboro, Sky Crawlers, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Rune Factory, and Final Fantasy do stand out rather well though.

As a fan of PSO Ep. 1&2, I'm excited to find out what PSZero is.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace

The target demographic for Mortal Kombat is people who want to chill out and enjoy a campy, intentionally sloppy game with entertainment value stemming from its accurate resemblance to old martial arts movies, right down to the unrealistic violence and bad voice acting.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
FirustheHedgehog said:
Either way, I wouldn't judge how good a game is purely on those who are making it. Sega made the great original Sonic games, even made great games more recently with the Sonic Adventure games, but has made horrible games recently, like Shadow the Hedgehog and Secret Rings. And even if you insist that Secret Rings was good (god knows too many people do), surely there's at least one recent game you would classify as awful. Hopefully at least Shadow. But I digress, my point is that you can't assume a company will make a good game because they normally do.
The difference here is that "SEGA" doesn't make Sonic games, "Sonic Team" does. And after the Dreamcast went under, Yuji Naka and most of the core staff left for greener pastures.

So really, everything after Sonic Adventure 2 (on the Dreamcast) was made by another team altogether.

In Mad World's case, Clover Studios has never made a bad game. They've all been ridiculously good. Technically Madworld's being made by Platinum Games, but they have yet to actually publish any games yet, so all we have to go on is the fact that most of the staff from the disbanded Clover is working on it, which says a lot.

Same for Nintendo. EAD Tokyo or R&D1 has yet to make a bad game. You can't lump games from the same publisher together like that, man. :ohwell:

And concerning the graphics for Madworld, I think you'd have to be crazy to call that "lazy". If you've ever tried to draw a picture using only solid black and solid white, in the highest contrast, you'd know how difficult it can be. Now imagine trying to make a 3D game that incorporates many times the number of objects of your one drawing every second.

So yeah, it's stylish, not lazy. Some people don't like it, obviously...but it's not like they didn't have the money for color or anything...

kr3wman said:
And also, I didn't like Cave Story that much. In my opinion, pretty much all the Metroid games beat it.
D:

Spire III said:
As a fan of PSO Ep. 1&2, I'm excited to find out what PSZero is.
Phantasy Star 0 is basically PSO in the DS. From what I can infer from the trailers, you can form online groups of up to 4 people, and go around grinding. So it's basically the same thing we've been playing for years now.

What makes this one so special is that it's on the DS. Not only is this a portable PSO, but the touch screen allows you to chat much, much more easily, as the game basically uses the bottom screen for an in-game, 4-person public version of PictoChat.

Out in Japan this December.

Darkslash

Smash Master
In Mad World's case, Clover Studios has never made a bad game. They've all been ridiculously good. Technically Madworld's being made by Platinum Games, but they have yet to actually publish any games yet, so all we have to go on is the fact that most of the staff from the disbanded Clover is working on it, which says a lot.

Same for Nintendo. EAD Tokyo or R&D1 has yet to make a bad game. You can't lump games from the same publisher together like that, man. :ohwell:
Like i said its either they're lazy OR They want to highlight the blood so unlike Gears of Fai--i mean War, YOU CAN SEE THE DAM BLOOD WITH OUT STRAINING YOUR FREAKING EYES.

I guess i'm on the fence for this one.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Phantasy Star 0 is basically PSO in the DS. From what I can infer from the trailers, you can form online groups of up to 4 people, and go around grinding. So it's basically the same thing we've been playing for years now.

What makes this one so special is that it's on the DS. Not only is this a portable PSO, but the touch screen allows you to chat much, much more easily, as the game basically uses the bottom screen for an in-game, 4-person public version of PictoChat.

Out in Japan this December.
That is made of so much win they might as well close this topic.

EDIT:

ZOMG. Games built from the ground-up for the Wii continue to be extremely impressive. Case in point: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

And also check out the videos: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/10/10/tgs08-klonoa-video-link-to-phantomile/

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
In Mad World's case, Clover Studios has never made a bad game.
Yeah, well....there's a first time for everything. You can't automatically assume a game is going to be good just because previous ones made by the same people were. Even if my Sega analogy doesn't work, (which you're right, it doesn't) there's not a lack of examples in this situation, there are all different ones from all different types of media. Bands can make great albums and then suddenly flop, a movie can be great and its sequel sucks, books can be great and then the same author writes another book and it sucks, etc. I could go on all day with these examples, it happens EVERYWHERE. Generally it's safe to assume something that's been good in the past will be good again, or vice versa, but if you're basing your whole assumption on how good Mad World is going to be (and not just that it'll be good, but that it's something awesome that you should be anticipating like crazy) on a few great past titles and "Yay gore!"...then you're insane.

And concerning the graphics for Madworld, I think you'd have to be crazy to call that "lazy". If you've ever tried to draw a picture using only solid black and solid white, in the highest contrast, you'd know how difficult it can be. Now imagine trying to make a 3D game that incorporates many times the number of objects of your one drawing every second.

So yeah, it's stylish, not lazy. Some people don't like it, obviously...but it's not like they didn't have the money for color or anything...
It's not "stylish". It's a different type of style, that isn't very appealing to me, and many others. Even if it's NOT lazy, it comes off as lazy initially, does it not? And you completely skipped over the other point that it's just highlighting the blood, which just says SO MUCH about the game. Blood is the only colored thing in the game, meaning they're putting emphasis on it. Honest to god, blood is fine, and I don't have a problem with it, but I'd rather not play a game with a theme of blood, thanks.

...Are you honestly saying that game is better than Metroid? It feels like a cheap ripoff of Metroid mixed in with a little bit of Adventure of Link (just for clarification, that means it's bad). You could cut Super Metroid off halfway and leave it without an ending or anything and it'd still beat that game tenfold, if not more.
Seriously, people really need to stop obsessing over Cave Story coming to Wiiware...it was freeware in the first place. You can get it for free without playing whatever amount of money for a remake that's probably not any better on Wiiware.

Ugh.
It's like this press conference made everyone and their brother do a 180. Anyone who was upset with Nintendo before (save for a few people) are all of a sudden like "YAY, NINTENDO LOVES US, THEY'RE AWESOME, THIS COMPLETELY MAKES UP FOR E3, THUS NINTENDO HASN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG!"

It was going on before E3, people. Since the Wii came out.

But I guess it's a lost cause anyways...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Generally it's safe to assume something that's been good in the past will be good again, or vice versa, but if you're basing your whole assumption on how good Mad World is going to be (and not just that it'll be good, but that it's something awesome that you should be anticipating like crazy) on a few great past titles and "Yay gore!"...then you're insane.
In this case it's not just "a few" great titles, but "all titles". And for what it's worth, I'm looking forward to Mad World for more reasons than just the graphics. The sound--from the actual music to the voices--sounds awesome, it's the first game in recent memory to make use of comic book-style SFX and cutscenes, and one of Jack's arms is a chainsaw.

Which reminds me of Bruce Campbell. :chuckle:

...Are you honestly saying that game is better than Metroid? It feels like a cheap ripoff of Metroid mixed in with a little bit of Adventure of Link (just for clarification, that means it's bad). You could cut Super Metroid off halfway and leave it without an ending or anything and it'd still beat that game tenfold, if not more.
Seriously, people really need to stop obsessing over Cave Story coming to Wiiware...it was freeware in the first place. You can get it for free without playing whatever amount of money for a remake that's probably not any better on Wiiware.
A) Yes, I enjoy Cave Story more than any Metroid, with the only possible exception being Prime.

B) Hey, I've obsessed over Cave Story since I found out about it, which was about two years ago. I'm only being so vocal about it because I actually have an excuse to do so.

But I guess it's a lost cause anyways...
You're probably right. You might as well just leave us idiots in peace, and get on with your life. :(

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
That is made of so much win they might as well close this topic.

EDIT:

ZOMG. Games built from the ground-up for the Wii continue to be extremely impressive. Case in point: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

And also check out the videos: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/10/10/tgs08-klonoa-video-link-to-phantomile/
The windmill in the preview reminds me of SMS.
This game looks amazing..it's one of the 5-6 other wii games I'm going to have to buy.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
In this case it's not just "a few" great titles, but "all titles". And for what it's worth, I'm looking forward to Mad World for more reasons than just the graphics. The sound--from the actual music to the voices--sounds awesome, it's the first game in recent memory to make use of comic book-style SFX and cutscenes, and one of Jack's arms is a chainsaw.

Which reminds me of Bruce Campbell. :chuckle:
Unless I'm incorrect, "all titles" by them are "a few titles", are they not? And again, everyone starts their flops somewhere. If you honestly think that they're incapable of flops you're blinder than I thought.

If you have other reasons (albeit not reasons that'd attract me to a video game, but to each his own), that's fine. All I've heard so far though is "Yay great past titles" and "Yay gore", until you gave other things you like. Although again, I'm not sure how sound, graphics, and having a chainsaw arm makes a game...but again, to each his own.

A) Yes, I enjoy Cave Story more than any Metroid, with the only possible exception being Prime.
Please tell me you've never played Super Metroid. If you have, and you honestly prefer Cave Story to it, I think I've lost all hope for the human race.

Kidding. But seriously, Super Metroid is too great for me to comprehend liking a freeware game above it...obviously you have your opinions, but I'd consider it the best game of all time and...I wouldn't even rate Cave Story in the top 20. Nor would I probably put it anywhere in regards to a "top" game.

B) Hey, I've obsessed over Cave Story since I found out about it, which was about two years ago. I'm only being so vocal about it because I actually have an excuse to do so.
I didn't say stop obsessing about it, I said stop obsessing about it being on Wiiware.
If you're not obsessing about it being on Wiiware, and just obsessing about it because you love the game, then why are you saying it here...?

You're probably right. You might as well just leave us idiots in peace, and get on with your life. :(
That's not what I meant.

I meant that no one is going to agree with me, so it's pointless to try and convince everyone. It's like before E3, because no one agreed with me. Then all of a sudden it became so common to hate Nintendo that it was considered "in" to do so, and was accused of feeling that way in order to fit in. And now it's back to being a minority opinion again.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The windmill in the preview reminds me of SMS.
This game looks amazing..it's one of the 5-6 other wii games I'm going to have to buy.
And the other 5-6 are...?

I haven't actually played a 3D Klonoa game before, but if they're anything like the 2D ones on the GBA, then I'll definitely be picking this up. Klonoa's in a weird position--it's a very, very good series, but for whatever reason it's never caught on in any region.

@derek: If you think this looks good, you need to go watch the Sonic Unleashed trailer from TGS (handily linked in said thread).

I'm still not sold on the Werehog concept (and probably never will be, even if I end up liking the game), but the regular Sonic segments look like how a proper 3D Sonic game should.

@Firus: I'm so excited about it being on WiiWare because...well, partly because I'll finally be able to play it with a proper controller, but there are two bigger reasons. One is that the guy in charge of the port is Nicklas "Nifflas" Nygren, the guy behind the almost-equally-wonderful freeware game Knytt Stories. The other is basically because Pixel deserves the money.

Which might sound shallow and dumb, but Cave Story is the ultimate underdog of the videogame realm. The aforementioned creator spent roughly five years of his free time while working at a dead end retail job doing literally nothing but making this game, for free, with no rewards, soley because he loves videogames so much. And it really is an amazing game by itself, without knowing anything else about it.

And now the whole world knows about it because of it's association with Nintendo. Without asking for anything in exchange, Pixel made this wonderful, wonderful game. And people found out about it, and now people are going to pay him for doing it.

...I know that still sounds shallow and dumb, but...eh, I don't know. Maybe you just had to be around when Cave Story was still an unknown.

And yes, I've played Super Metroid, and while I agree it's an awesome game...well, it doesn't top Symphony of the Night, and Cave Story tops that. So, yeah.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
@Firus...
You're acting like Nintendo did something horribly wrong.. which they havn't.
It's not like they are being like Sega is with their Sonic games...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@Firus...
You're acting like Nintendo did something horribly wrong.. which they havn't.
It's not like they are being like Sega is with their Sonic games...
Did you miss the Wii...? Like, completely?

And I don't think ANYONE'S screwed up a franchise as much as Sega has Sonic. That's not a fair comparison to argue against me with.

Either way, it's no reason to call me special ed, on crack, or pessimistic. MAYBE pessimistic (although that implies, in this context, that I'm just making it up because I want things to be bad). And that was an extremely long post, so it doesn't even tell me what exactly you were replying to, thus defeating any purpose it had.

@Firus: I'm so excited about it being on WiiWare because...well, partly because I'll finally be able to play it with a proper controller, but there are two bigger reasons. One is that the guy in charge of the port is Nicklas "Nifflas" Nygren, the guy behind the almost-equally-wonderful freeware game Knytt Stories. The other is basically because Pixel deserves the money.

Which might sound shallow and dumb, but Cave Story is the ultimate underdog of the videogame realm. The aforementioned creator spent roughly five years of his free time while working at a dead end retail job doing literally nothing but making this game, for free, with no rewards, soley because he loves videogames so much. And it really is an amazing game by itself, without knowing anything else about it.

And now the whole world knows about it because of it's association with Nintendo. Without asking for anything in exchange, Pixel made this wonderful, wonderful game. And people found out about it, and now people are going to pay him for doing it.

...I know that still sounds shallow and dumb, but...eh, I don't know. Maybe you just had to be around when Cave Story was still an unknown.
No, no, I get what you mean. It does come off like that on face value, but I know what you're talking about, the guy made a great video game which people are playing for free, and it's nice that he's getting recognition and compensation for it.
Be that as it may, I don't think I'll buy it. But I do see and respect your point.

And yes, I've played Super Metroid, and while I agree it's an awesome game...well, it doesn't top Symphony of the Night, and Cave Story tops that. So, yeah.
...The Super Metroid just rolled over in its grave.

Bah, playing through Cave Story a little bit more, it is interesting, fun, and a little addictive. But it still isn't quite the masterpiece Super Metroid is. Super Metroid just has so much more to it, has perfect music, and is much more challenging without being too hard. The puzzles and such contained in the game are harder to figure out, but there is no obstacle that instantly kills you (which Cave Story has), which is just kind of annoying if you ask me.

Given the circumstances, I can't blame Cave Story for lacking in comparison. However, games aren't rated based on how good they are for their time, but how good they are in general.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
So it's horribly wrong to have the handheld and home console that they are trying to make money off of? [And The Wii has almost sold 30,000,000 units and I think the DS has sold like 140,000,000]

Darkslash

Smash Master
...The Super Metroid just rolled over in its grave.

Bah, playing through Cave Story a little bit more, it is interesting, fun, and a little addictive. But it still isn't quite the masterpiece Super Metroid is. Super Metroid just has so much more to it, has perfect music, and is much more challenging without being too hard. The puzzles and such contained in the game are harder to figure out, but there is no obstacle that instantly kills you (which Cave Story has), which is just kind of annoying if you ask me.

I doubt Super Metroid did that. probably woke up from a night mare XD. It ain't dead yet.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So it's horribly wrong to have the handheld and home console that they are trying to make money off of? [And The Wii has almost sold 30,000,000 units and I think the DS has sold like 140,000,000]
If they completely screw over long-time fans to do so, yes.
But in about five seconds you're going to tell me they haven't, mirite?

I doubt Super Metroid did that. probably woke up from a night mare XD. It ain't dead yet.
No, THE Super Metroid. The poor martyr who gave its life for Samus...

Spire

III
BRoomer
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/08/rumor-enhanced-rogue-squadron-trilogy-due-on-wii/

If this rumor is true then I'm going to scream like a fanboy, which i never do.

I never got to try to get a TIE fighter to crash into a Star Destroyers bridge yet. Heard it was possible.
N64 ROGUE SQUADRON UPDATED!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!

I just screamed like a fanboy on a million levels. This is my dream come true.

EDIT: This is too good to be a rumor. I will deny its rumor-status until it is officially announced, wherein, I will then be right all along. No questions.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
@ Firus.... I'de screw everyone over for money...
And they didn't even screw us over... We Got Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, LOZ: TP, Mario Kart, and Brawl.
None of those were dumbed down atall exept for brawl just a tad. So dont whine like a little baby because there making quality games at a lower quantaty instead of the other way around.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Don't be silly, hectichobo. Firus hates all games made by Nintendo because they're not 2-D with sprites and that 'dink dink dink' music from the gaming days of yore.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Actuallly, Hectic, all of the games you mentioned (except MAYBE Zelda) were watered down to cater to Nintendo's "everybody should win" philosophy with the Wii. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that, really, as each of those games on the whole are still fun and engrossing.

>__>

Smooth Criminal

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@ Firus.... I'de screw everyone over for money...
And they didn't even screw us over... We Got Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, LOZ: TP, Mario Kart, and Brawl.
Then you're an ***hole, and I'm glad I don't know you in real life.

I hated Mario Galaxy. Blah blah blah, game of the year, blah blah blah, award-winning music, blah. Hated it, every aspect of it. The music wasn't right, it was orchestrated and Disney-esque, and that is NOT what video game music should be. The game was way too easy (but it wasn't dumbed down at all, mirite?), not enjoyable for me...hell, at the final battle I was CERTAIN that Bowser was going to come back after I defeated him. It's just one of those situations where it was just too easy, and you KNOW it's going to be one of those times where the boss comes back, or goes all uber powerful, or whatever. Except I clearly underestimated how easy the game was, because Bowser didn't come back...

Metroid Prime 3 is a good title. But it's easier than other Metroids, and was certainly not as good. And no, the controls do not it all-powerful. Good game, my favorite on the Wii, but again...you'd be lying if you said it wasn't watered down for casuals.

Twilight Princess...wow. Have you not played other Zelda games or not played Twilight Princess, or both? Twilight Princess was incredibly easy. Fun, yes. Good, yes. Too easy for Zelda, yes. Why? Because casual gamers couldn't honestly handle something with OoT's caliber so they had to make it more "accessible". Although clearly that's not enough...

Mario Kart...not any huge complaints here. I've played it a little bit, and it's fun, but it's not something I'll buy. It's got a few new things but its big appeal is motion sensor, which is a gimmick that's only going to keep it more interesting than past titles for a little while. Also, it has Baby Daisy. :p
But seriously, Mario Kart really couldn't have been dumbed down. When you analyze it, it's got to be one of the most casual games ever. The better you're doing, the more limited your items get. The further behind you are, the more vastly superior they are. And said vastly superior items are broken to the point of ridiculousness -- Bullet Bill can easily get you from 12th place to 6th place, and you don't even have to DO anything, it even auto-steers for you. And if nothing else shows it, the blue turtle shell does. An item that automatically goes for the winner? And amongst people behind who are getting boost items, invincibility, uber weapons, etc., the first place person gets what...bananas, fake item boxes, and single Green Turtle shells? It's not like you can even turn items off, either. Mario Kart's whole philosiphy is casual, and has always been that way. So no, they didn't really.

Brawl...do you REALLY want me to go into this? I mean, seriously? Tripping. And before you say "ZOMG NOE JAWNS" or "IT'S NAUGHT THAD BIG AWV A DEIL", I'm not saying how big of a deal it is. All I can say is, the only intention that has is a casual intention, to cause chaos, a random effect, a practical joke sort of thing. Even if it epically failed at helping the game to be casual, its purpose was still to do so. And it didn't fail at it, anyways. Then there's all of the encouragement towards noob techniques like spamming and camping, making it easier for a five year-old to pick up a Wiimote for the first time and actually do well. There's also the concept of Pity Final Smashes. You can turn items off, but I believe they still occur. It acts as the Bullet Bill -- easy possibility to quickly rise in position.
And those are just two small things on the base level. If I weren't tired, both physically and of telling people why Brawl's casual, I would go into depth, but I am, so I won't. This thread can certainly help with it.

None of those were dumbed down atall exept for brawl just a tad. So dont whine like a little baby because there making quality games at a lower quantaty instead of the other way around.
Brawl JUST A TAD? And ONLY Brawl? I smell a blind fanboy.
I'm not whining like a baby. And they're lower quality AND quantity.

I mean, seriously, Mario Galaxy and TP NOT dumbed down? At all? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you had poor quality spelling/grammar at a lower quantity...

Even though I don't generally agree with hectichobo...Firus you seriously need to deflate that catastrophically large container of hot air you have.

How in the world are you going to call him an ******* based on statements on the internet? For christ sake, your post are like books, except books are actually interesting to read.

By the way, I enjoyed Galaxy. It was simply too easy, and that was literally the games only fault. Then again, Mario Galaxy is probably one of the few next gen game that were fairly 'successful'. Brawl and Mario Kart on the other hand...ugh. >__>

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Please tell me you've never played Super Metroid. If you have, and you honestly prefer Cave Story to it, I think I've lost all hope for the human race.

Kidding. But seriously, Super Metroid is too great for me to comprehend liking a freeware game above it...obviously you have your opinions, but I'd consider it the best game of all time and...I wouldn't even rate Cave Story in the top 20. Nor would I probably put it anywhere in regards to a "top" game.
That was also my opinion, until I tried FE4 (Last game produced by GUMPEI YOKOI). It is the most original and inobative FE Game EVER, it have a **** history (Aeries dies is lol compared to the darkness of Chapter 5... Also It have incest (Main character of generation 2 CAN get Married to his half-sister), ****, sexual references, Pedos, back stabing... and one of the BESTS plot twists on chapter 5)... AND the soundtrack http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HHSk88BwLNo (It's hard to find not-arranged vecions of FE4 soundtrack).
I know, TRPG=/=Shooter+Platformer. But the fact this is the last MASTERPIECE produced by GUMPEI YOKOI[/] should be enough to try it (Don;t be afraid of PM).

And even if Mad World MAY be bad, that do not change the fact it MAY be great.

Anyway, EPF (Last post) mind if I copy pasta that awesome sign?

Top Bottom