• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Power interviewed Sakurai in the latest issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

antimatter

Smash Lord
alright, pissed off mode!

exerpt from nintendo power interview with Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Kirby and Smash Bros.

NP: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?
S: I think that would probably be impossible.[laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]

[/P.O.ed]

he also mentioned that they knew about wavedashing since the testing stages of melee. he confirmed he took it out to make it more even, but advanced players could find a new technique to give them an edge.

antimatter

Smash Lord
he confirmed, for one thing, that he didnt put his best effort into the game. for another, he laughs about the suggestion.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Ell. Oh. Ell. Sakurai just pissed on the graves of Ridly supporters and tournament players simultaneously. What an awesome guy. :D

I.T.P

Smash Ace
no, he confirmed that he didn't put his best efforts INTO MAKING RIDLEY PLAYABLE -> he didn't want him to be playable. he didn't say he did not put his best efforts into making the game

and did he really say anything about wavedashing? I highly doubt that, can you link\quote?

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
He didn't think it was possible, just like, err, loads of people. Stop beating a dead horse.

antimatter

Smash Lord
and did he really say anything about wavedashing? I highly doubt that, can you link\quote?
sadly, no. it was in the newest issue of Nintendo Power. The cover had a preview for Final Fantasy IV on it.

NukeA6

Smash Master
He must've have heard of R.I.D.L.E.Y. before he decided to make Ridley a character. I guess he couldn't tolerate such high levels of SPAM.

Tiny Toon

Smash Rookie
Random Bob is on to something. He obviously removed wave-dashing to even out the playing field a little more. and it is upsetting that Ridley didn't quite make it, but he said with the best of his ability he would be really slow. He probably understood how slow he would be (probably to slow to manage a hit) and decided it would be best to place another decent character in there instead of Ridely.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Ok so he has total control how he wants the game to be made, so if he wanted he could just "make" Ridley faster. =/

antimatter

Smash Lord
no, because i think it means the way he would have been programmed, he would have been slow no matter what. unless it was Lightning brawl.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
If you quoted that part, why not tell us what he said about wavedashing?
And I wonder of Sakurai's "New technique" would be something they Missed.....
Or does Sakurai have a treat for us?
SAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Raustblackdragon

Smash Apprentice
OF COURSE HE KNEW ABOUT WAVEDASHING!

It's a technique that has been made famous through extensive youtube videos, tournament freaks, and wiki articles. He would have to be a HERMIT not to know about it and realize it must be destroyed.

Fawriel

Smash Master

It's a technique that has been made famous through extensive youtube videos, tournament freaks, and wiki articles. He would have to be a HERMIT not to know about it and realize it must be destroyed.
A technique must be destroyed for giving even failures like Mewtwo a chance to compete against cruel monsters like Fox? Hmmmmm.

I.T.P

Smash Ace

you missed the point, the OP said Nintendo Power's interview stated he knew about it from THE TESTING PHASES OF MELEE, which is absurd and unreasonable to believe, because there's no way they would've left the waveland mechanism alone if they knew it could be abused like that.

so I was asking for a quote to confirm the above.

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
Apparently he didn't find the alternate applications of Melee airdodging "abusable".

antimatter

Smash Lord
np: this is one that a lot of hard core fans have long wondered about. was the ability to wavedash in melee intentional or a glitch?

S: of course, we notice that you could to that during the development period. with brawl it wasnt a matter of, "Ok, do we leave it in or do we take it out?" we really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all levels. we felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. it wasnt a real big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made since to take it out. and it also goes back to wanting to make something different from melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy. (i misinterpreted what he meant by this)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
if it wasn't for the typos in that, I would've believed sakurai actually said that XD

but I still think they didn't imagine it'd be abused and usefull as much as it was, he probably meant that they noticed you could directionally wave land from a small jump. I doubt they named it wavedash or "Zekku" as the japanese name goes

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
np: this is one that a lot of hard core fans have long wondered about. was the ability to wavedash in melee intentional or a glitch?

S: of course, we notice that you could to that during the development period. with brawl it wasnt a matter of, "Ok, do we leave it in or do we take it out?" we really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all levels. we felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. it wasnt a real big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made since to take it out. and it also goes back to wanting to make something different from melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy. (i misinterpreted what he meant by this)

yeaaahhhh.

were hardcore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom