• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo of America Releases Three TV Ads for Smash 3DS

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Wow I was expecting the Smash commercials to bore me like the last gajilion American Nintendo commercials but these are freakn' GLORIOUS! The sheer silliness of it really reminds me of 90s commercials. When I was a kid I'd have been so jazzed by this. And Settle it in Smash it a perfect freakn' tagline. Definitely had things "Settled in Smash" irl before.

JayTro8

Smash Rookie
NNID
JayTro8
3DS FC
5258-1244-7734
Every time I see a new Nintendo commercial I think, "Damn, I really need to audition for one of these."

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
NOW THIS IS A COMERCIAL, THANKS GOD, NINTENDO DOING EPIC COMERCIAL LIKE 80' FLESH OUT PERFECT THAN A BORING DUBSTEP AND SHOW OFF.

80 TRAILER ARE THE BEST EVEN I was born in 1996...
Epic Trailer are Epic.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Sometimes I see something that makes me think I've devoted several hundred hours of my adult life into honing my skills at a cringe-worthy children's party game.

Then I forget all about any video and continue playing smash.

Nothing to see here, move along!
"Cringe-worthy"? Explain, please.
I wish real life problems could be solved like this. "you are late on the rent" "oh yeah?" Settle it in smash!
I'd never pay for anything ever again...

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
None of these are as good as the ad for the original N64 version, a bunch of IRL people dressed as the characters beatting the crap out of each other in a lovely field with that "So happy togetherrrrrrrrr" song playing in the background, true classic for anyone old enough to remember.
nostalgia bias much?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Clearly, that last one was best. There's nothing better than having a Doc Louis pumping you up for another "Settle it in Smash!" session.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Leave it to America to have ****tier commercials, bar the irl Doc Lewis.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
on the last seat one, press 2 a couple times for a laugh

then press 3 a couple times for a laugh

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Sometimes I see something that makes me think I've devoted several hundred hours of my adult life into honing my skills at a cringe-worthy children's party game.
Well Smash was targeted to children, (like myself) and it is kinda like a party game....

^w^#

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Commercials are partially in GIF form here! - www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2h5a3a/i_gifd_some_parts_from_the_new_commercial/

I loved these English Super Smash Bros. 4 commercials; just as good as the Japanese commercial with the TV splat! Good job, Nintendo of America! These commercials easily could have been like those unfunny plain ones with kids just going "HEY, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO IN SSB FOR 3DS. SMASH RUN, WI-FI, 3D - ALL THE COOLEST FEATURES. AND EVEN CUSTOMIZABLE MOVES, YO - IT'S SMASH, MY WAY" or one of those ho-hum ones that show just gameplay without anything else that has awesomeness or comedy - it's great to see that both of those issues were averted. Not only do these English Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS commercials integrate kids, teenagers, and adults (showing that the game is for all ages) and show decent gameplay, but they manage to infuse cheesy/corny (opinions may vary) comedy reminiscent of classic Nintendo commercials! And seriously, that "Donkey Kong guy's scream" is probably going to go down in Nintendo memetic history; it's probably going to match a lot of people's reactions when the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. 4 comes out. XD At the very least, these commercials feel more memorable than the (main?) English Super Smash Bros. Brawl commercial, which, while cool by virtue of being Super Smash Bros., largely rode on the "Wii Would Like To Play" campaign instead of inventing its own "moment/scene".

Other comments:
-I think "Food Fight" was my favorite one overall.. The highlight from "Last Seat" was easily the Donkey Kong player and the Mii Fighter's face. XD
-+1 for real-life Doc Louis! Although I thought he'd have a wider girth..?
-I just love how emphatically the announcer proclaims "SETTLE IT WITH SMASH!" Finally, we have a slogan/catchphrase for whenever Super Smash Bros. is pulled out to settle trivial squabbles serious business.
-I like how the girl in Food Fight just whips out that Nintendo 3DS with such flair (even though it seems like it would be more prone to getting accidentally broken)! And she's pretty/hot, too! <3
-"I don't think so." followed by DAT DONKEY KONG SCREAM. :laugh::4dk: Just gold.

I can't wait to see how the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U commercials turn out. As a reference point, here's the quality I'm hoping for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6eqrGpMZS4
Along with the SSB4-3DS ones, I hope that there's a mix of more funny SSB4 commercials (akin to "Platinum Game Boy Advance man" at 0:30 or "baseball Bowser" at 4:52, both in the reference point) along with "cool/epic" commercials (in the aforementioned reference point, Metroid Prime at 0:45; I mean, just WOW. Also, Star Fox: Assault at 3:19. Finally, a style like this Japanese Super Smash Bros. 64 commercial could also work as a brief advertisement).
-Today I learned that the Game Boy (Advance) Micro actually got shown on TV! :eek:

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Oh my gosh, these are funny as hell! I wish more Nintendo commercials were as great as this. Honestly, I think the Brawl commercials just tried a little too hard to be serious.

That said, however, I can't say these top the commercial for the original Smash for the 64.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
At first, I sorta cringed like

Smash 1.png

Then I got all hype like

Smash 2.png

Now my friends actively judge me like

Smash 3.png

And I don't care like

Top Bottom