• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo News - Post Direct Edition

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Welcome to Nintendo News! Every weekend, Smashboards will compile the noteworthy Nintendo related news bits from the week and put them together into one handy article! This week's Nintendo News is for the week of January 11th to January 18th, 2015, and covers the recent Nintendo Direct, Wii U sales, and more. Read on below!

January 14th Nintendo Direct

Last week, there was a Nintendo Direct talking about all the big Wii U and 3DS games coming out in spring 2015. It was jam packed with announcements and new reveals. Highlights of the Direct include a new Fire Emblem game for the 3DS, Wii games being downloadable on the Wii U and the New Nintendo 3DS being released in North America on February 13th. Check out the full Direct video right here or read about it in our Smashboards Direct recap article.

Wii U Closes 2014 with Biggest Month of Sales in its History

Turns out that December was a great month for Nintendo and the Wii U. The Wii U's hardware sales increased by over 29% and software by more than 75% compared to 2013. Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros for Wii U each sold over 1.5 million copies and the amiibo figurines have sold well over 2 million figurines in North America alone. With Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World, Star Fox and much more coming in 2015, the Wii U's momentum will only keep getting stronger. The 3DS also had a very strong December, including its largest month ever for first-party software sales, fueled primarily by Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Amiibo Wave 4 Revealed

Nintendo revealed the 4th wave of amiibo figurines from the Smash Bros series last week. This wave includes Ness, Wario, Pac Man, Charizard, Lucina and Robin. The new amiibos will all be compatible with Smash Bros for Wii U and Robin and Lucina will also be compatible with the upcoming 3DS game Codename S.T.E.A.M. Players can scan in the Fire Emblem heroes and recruit them onto their teams as playable characters in Codename S.T.E.A.M. Currently, no solid release date has been revealed for this wave, only being set as "Spring 2015" on the amiibo website. Pre orders are currently unavailable as well.

Nintendo eShop "Throwback Sale" is on This Week

This week on the Wii U and 3DS eShop, Nintendo is offering games from all different console generations at great discounts. Both Yoshi's Island games and both Pushmo games are on sale, along with Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the first Wii game available for download on the Wii U eShop and is a whopping 50% off! The sale ends on January 22nd, 2015. Check out all the savings down below.

That concludes this week's packed edition of Nintendo News. If you have any suggestions or improvements for future editions, please let us know in the comments section.

Until next week, Nintendo fans.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards can't wait until his Majora's Mask Edition New 3DS XL arrives. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
That Ness amiibo might be the only new official Mother merchandise to come out for a long, long time...

He looks great, at least :bee:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No one else is exited for Metroid Prime Trilogy in a community made to embrace epic games. I've been lied to.

*Eats blob of mercury*
;<

D

Deleted member

See ya on the other side m8. This world is damned anyway.
*Gulps mercury blob*
WAIT, I FORGOT THERE'S A NEW FIRE EMBLEM! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
It's okay, there will be new releases on the other side too. And a limited edition Wolf Amiibo...

*Dies*

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
It's okay, there will be new releases on the other side too. And a limited edition Wolf Amiibo...

*Dies*
Huh, I guess I can go out of this life now. Well, after I post something completely irrelevant that is.
*Dies*
*Plays Half Life 3, Valkyria Chronicles 2, a Zelda/Fire Emblem/Mario and Luigi RPG gamplay/character wombo combo crossover, and Mother 4 before it's earthly release*

Edit: *Also finds the Retro-made Metroid 3DS no one on earth will ever see*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Huh, I guess I can go out of this life now. Well, after I post something completely irrelevant that is.
*Dies*
*Plays Half Life 3, Valkyria Chronicles 2, a Zelda/Fire Emblem/Mario and Luigi RPG gamplay/character wombo combo crossover, and Mother 4 before it's earthly release*

Edit: *Also finds the Retro-made Metroid 3DS no one on earth will ever see*
I even still have access to Smashboards! Real life freaking sucks. This is THE LIFE... or... um... the death.
*Plays Madoka Portable english translation two years before planned release*

Edit: Just finished Kingdom hearts 3 100%

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ugh, my friends and I have been wracking our brains trying to find places with Wave 4 amiibo pre-orders.... Gotta get me those PAC-MAN, Ness, and Charizard ones...

Seal

Smash Journeyman
SMG2 for $10 is an AMAZING deal. I would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't own the game.

D

Deleted member

*Plays Madoka Portable english translation two years before planned release*
You son of a donkey :p
And yeah, I know you aren't serious
That Ness amiibo might be the only new official Mother merchandise to come out for a long, long time...

He looks great, at least :bee:
I was celebrating because of the chance to get Mother merchandise, and then you made me sad...

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'm glad to see the Prime Trilogy reach a new audience, though I won't be getting it myself since I already own the three games in the compilation separately. (I wonder if they'll do something about friend tokens or whatever they're called...)

I'm hyped to get Punch Out!! Wii, though: It's the only one out of the three Wii games on VC I haven't played.:4littlemac:

D

Deleted member

I'm glad to see the Prime Trilogy reach a new audience, though I won't be getting it myself since I already own the three games in the compilation separately. (I wonder if they'll do something about friend tokens or whatever they're called...)

I'm hyped to get Punch Out!! Wii, though: It's the only one out of the three Wii games on VC I haven't played.:4littlemac:
My lack of tokens due to wifi shutdown is disturbing. Bumper stickers are totaly worth crying over.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Man, I'd do anything to get that Lucina amiibo. It's in her future that I have to get one.

And I do plan to download those 3 Wii games soon (even though I already have a copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2).

Last edited:

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
The direct was awesome. XCX looks beautiful, new Fire Emblem, and PAD: Super Mario Bros. Edition <3

Jupiter9099

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0748-3222-8455
I have two amiibos: Kirby (George) and Pikachu (LeatherBlt). It's fun watching them battle. Especially after they got above Lv.30.
I also can't wait for the re-release of Majora's Mask for the 3DS.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
How can they sell 2 million Amiibo copies when there are only 2 thousand people in the world?

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
Damm i really hope the Amiibo's look just like these when it is release because there will be some really sad robin and Lacina fans

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
One of these days... I'm going to have my favorite pink balloon posing on an NFC base. One of these days... I'm waiting for you, :4jigglypuff:

V01D_92

Smash Rookie
NNID
Greklin
3DS FC
2750-1286-9757
still waitin for mah bowser jr. amiibo man

Last edited:

GaMeR N1CK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3582-8458-4207
he's just standing there, taunting me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pac-man-amiibo-figure.jpg

D

Deleted member

It's not that. It's the fact that they're putting a fairly recent game on the VC.
It's not Virtual Console since the Wii U supports Wii discs. VC is when you port another console's games onto Wii U or whatever system you're playing on when you can't use real cartridges or discs.

Top Bottom