• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo is "Intrigued" With Project M. Could This Affect Smash 4?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So I've seen someone on the net who spoke with a Nintendo rep @ E3. The rep stated that that Nintendo knows about Project M, and is actually quite intrigued. Could this have an affect on Smash 4? What are your thoughts on this? Please let me know of any info I might have missed. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I think the word was "intrigued", not "impressed". Similar implications, but not quite the same. I don't think it will affect Smash 4 very much, but it does serve as a nice measurement of the dedication the competitive smash community has for the series.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I believe the word was intrigued, not impressed.

Edit: Hivemind

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I think the word was "intrigued", not "impressed". Similar implications, but not quite the same. I don't think it will affect Smash 4 very much, but it does serve as a nice measurement of the dedication the competitive smash community has for the series.
I believe the word was intrigued, not impressed.

Edit: Hivemind
Thanks. I'll update everything when I can.

Kati

Smash Lord
Multiple tethers grabbing the stage? solo zard? alt costumes? I don't pay attention to sm4sh, but stuff is there that raises my eyebrows from time to time.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Samus's forward smash has the fire explosion at the tip. My hopes is that they leave PM alone and take moveset adjustments/ideas from it to diversify the roster and whatnot.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Multiple tethers grabbing the stage? solo zard? alt costumes? I don't pay attention to sm4sh, but stuff is there that raises my eyebrows from time to time.
Samus's forward smash has the fire explosion at the tip. My hopes is that they leave PM alone and take moveset adjustments/ideas from it to diversify the roster and whatnot.
My words exactly. And hopefully Nintendo might take notes and tweak the balance along with adding new content every now and then, like how Project M does it. But yeah, it's fun to speculate these things. You never know what kind of curveball Nintendo might throw at you. :p

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
That case was the other way around. SilentDoom animated some of Samus' moves to look like Smash 4's because they looked cooler. F-smash, f-tilt, and her running animation are the most noticeable.

As for the other things, yeah, it's pretty obvious at this point they're taking some influence.

Last edited:

koopaKnight

Smash Cadet
yup not a lot has been revealed about the sm4sh wii u. We know 3ds version has smash run and other things that have yet to be revealed. A curveball heading our way indeed! Im confident that Sm4sh will be a upgrade from brawl in every way.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
yup not a lot has been revealed about the sm4sh wii u. We know 3ds version has smash run and other things that have yet to be revealed. A curveball heading our way indeed! Im confident that Sm4sh will be a upgrade from brawl in every way.
Well said. Besides a few things like too much thow knockback for follow ups and Marth getting nerfed, the game looks like it could last in the competitive scene for quite a while. If Nintendo took notes from PM, it would last even longer.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
It may gives to Sakurai the impression that some of his supposed responsabilities toward the smash community are a bit withdrawn, and that he can really do what he wants, since the community is making its own game. I think it is a good thing for SSB4 that PM exists, for the player and for Sakurai. These games fill more aspects that Smash could fill, that only one game would have.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I see a lot of stuff from Project M being used in Smash 4. I wouldn't be surprised if Project M is the reason why Sakurai is trying to find the middle ground between casuals and competitors.

koopaKnight

Smash Cadet
Well said. Besides a few things like too much thow knockback for follow ups and Marth getting nerfed, the game looks like it could last in the competitive scene for quite a while. If Nintendo took notes from PM, it would last even longer.
Yea Im pretty sure they are taking notes. Project M is a success in the smash community , it would make no sense if they didn't.
Plus The gameplays we've seen so far don't really mean anything. Especially from the 3ds version. People were complaining cuz players would only use bowsers down b. The reason players do that is because this is the first time we get a smash bros game on a handheld. players don't know how to play the game yet. I remember when melee came out and I would play it with my friends, everybody would only spam foxes up B and Links Up B. Same applies for the wii u version. I find the game looked more interesting at the e3 finals then it did when Bill Trinen from nintendo played it.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It may gives to Sakurai the impression that some of his supposed responsabilities toward the smash community are a bit withdrawn, and that he can really do what he wants, since the community is making its own game. I think it is a good thing for SSB4 that PM exists, for the player and for Sakurai. These games fill more aspects that Smash could fill, that only one game would have.
Good point indeed. Who knows, maybe he might let devs get away with creating a PM mod for Smash 4, although it would be cool if he made a special edition version of Smash 4, just for competitive players, which really wouldn't cost him much work since he can just base it off of the original. I'm way in over my head, aren't I? Lol.

koopaKnight

Smash Cadet
At the end of the day , its all good! We got many versions of smash bros to play ;p We want 64 smash we play 64, we want melee, we play melee, we want brawl , we play brawl, you want project M you say? Then you got project M. You want a visually stunning HD smash game well , it's Comming! Different smashes to appeal to different people :)

Last edited:

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
At the end of the day , its all good! We got many versions of smash bros to play ;p We want 64 smash we play 64, we want melee, we play melee, we want brawl , we play brawl, you want project M you say? Then you got project M. You want a visually stunning HD smash game well , it's Comming! Different smashes to appeal to different people :)
Don't forget about a sweet gameboy themed smash and a Flash fangame that gives us a good way to get people to stop screaming "OMGEEZ GOKUU!!!1!!1!"

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I think it's just that one guy, Nintendo themselves considers it "Criminal Activity" on Miiverse

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I think it's just that one guy, Nintendo themselves considers it "Criminal Activity" on Miiverse
I'm sure it's just because they don't want it taking away from their Smash 4 advertising
You can talk about PM here anyways. Idk why you'd want to talk about it on Miiverse

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
True that. Nintendo can be strange sometimes, anthough the admins haven't been attacking me for mentioning PM lately. They could've changed things up, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't even know why I post there anymore lol.

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Not sure what it means, but I hope that they take notes from PM and notice that if Smash 4 isn't good enough, we will change it so it fits what we would want. Could be wishful thinking, but I really think that PM says a lot about Brawl, lol.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I just did a little reading and discussing the legal implications with the big N and PM and here's what I gathered. There's a US law that basically forces a company to press charges if they find someone tampering with their property. Seems asinine, but the reason is that a company doesn't say "we love what you're doing, press on!" then a year later sues them. a.k.a entrapment. That's why Miiverse posts are deleted and an employee should never go on record and acknowledge PM.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Not sure what it means, but I hope that they take notes from PM and notice that if Smash 4 isn't good enough, we will change it so it fits what we would want. Could be wishful thinking, but I really think that PM says a lot about Brawl, lol.
Perhaps we could get lucky and get a great competitive game. That way we wouldn't need to mod it. But yeah, I just like to think of Brawl as a beginner's title and not to be taken too seriously in a competitive sense. It just wasn't made for that.

I just did a little reading and discussing the legal implications with the big N and PM and here's what I gathered. There's a US law that basically forces a company to press charges if they find someone tampering with their property. Seems asinine, but the reason is that a company doesn't say "we love what you're doing, press on!" then a year later sues them. a.k.a entrapment. That's why Miiverse posts are deleted and an employee should never go on record and acknowledge PM.
That definitely makes sense. Nintendo should cautious and let PM grow on its own. Thanks a lot for explaining. I wouldn't have known otherwise. Oh, and don't forget to give Sakurai some love love today. It's his birthday. :) #ThankYouSakurai

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Sakurai watches everything that the Project M YouTube account releases.

He of course can't read English, so he took Ike Climbers entirely seriously.

Saks pointed and laughed.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's because it's considered "supporting console modding" which is a big no no with Nintendo since it can break ToS with some forms of modding.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps we could get lucky and get a great competitive game. That way we wouldn't need to mod it. But yeah, I just like to think of Brawl as a beginner's title and not to be taken too seriously in a competitive sense. It just wasn't made for that.
I hope so, and I totally agree. I haven't been impressed by Smash 4, and that worries me a bit. I know what we've been shown isn't what the actual game will be and play like, and there is still time before the release of the game, but like I said, I'm not impressed so far. It still looks like Brawl 2, just slightly faster. I don't even recall seeing combos in this new Smash, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
If you guys are talking about what prog said, there is no direct quote from ANY nintendo rep that said anything about P:M. Prog said they seemed intrigued, nintendo themselves or any affiliates didn't actually state anything of the sort

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I hope so, and I totally agree. I haven't been impressed by Smash 4, and that worries me a bit. I know what we've been shown isn't what the actual game will be and play like, and there is still time before the release of the game, but like I said, I'm not impressed so far. It still looks like Brawl 2, just slightly faster. I don't even recall seeing combos in this new Smash, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Hitstun is confirmed. I'll provide a link demonstrating this when I can. The only real problem I see with this game is that throws have too much knockback to follow up. However, this is subject to change before release. The shield drop speed doesn't consern me too much, because shields can be broken much more easily.

If you guys are talking about what prog said, there is no direct quote from ANY nintendo rep that said anything about P:M. Prog said they seemed intrigued, nintendo themselves or any affiliates didn't actually state anything of the sort
Well he can't be lying. He is Prog after all. And of course the rep's name wouldn't be given out, or they may risk getting fired or something. Read GFooChombey's post.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Uhhh, a good number of combos were found out. And this is this a demo that was finalized back in january.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Project: M has barely influenced Smash 4, if at all. Any similarities are almost certainly coincidental, and there aren't many.

Take it from someone who knows much more than they let on.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Uhhh, a good number of combos were found out. And this is this a demo that was finalized back in january.
Okay. I wasn't aware that combos had been found and that the demo had been finalized. Like I said, I hadn't recalled personally seeing combos, not that they didn't exist.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
Hope so, I've always thought it would be cool if they made an exact Melee remake for Wii U with Smash 4 graphics and online play. Or have a competitive mode in Smash 4 with wavedashing and stuff thatd be cool

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
On the surface, I'd say it already has.

I mean, c'mon, Yoshi jumping out of shield, Bowser's super armor, DK's rolling attack, et cetera... To quote the judge from Phoenix Wright, this is looking less like a "coincidence" and more like a "pattern".

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Its a coincidence guys, the changes that are similar in the two games are most likely similar because its a GOOD IDEA. I highly doubt there sitting there playing PM going "oh, this looks cool lemme put this in." If that was the case, the whole idea of PM being similar to Melee would probably influence a major engine change.

Its like if I had to decide what to eat for lunch, and then someone else picked the same thing... could I say that that person is taking ideas from me? No. Same situation. Apparently people see what they want to see when it comes to PM/Smash 4.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Its a coincidence guys, the changes that are similar in the two games are most likely similar because its a GOOD IDEA. I highly doubt there sitting there playing PM going "oh, this looks cool lemme put this in." If that was the case, the whole idea of PM being similar to Melee would probably influence a major engine change.

Its like if I had to decide what to eat for lunch, and then someone else picked the same thing... could I say that that person is taking ideas from me? No. Same situation. Apparently people see what they want to see when it comes to PM/Smash 4.
It can be said that there are way too many similarities to Project M to just be a coincidence.
Hope so, I've always thought it would be cool if they made an exact Melee remake for Wii U with Smash 4 graphics and online play. Or have a competitive mode in Smash 4 with wavedashing and stuff thatd be cool
A balanced Melee HD with online would be pretty rad (it would kill the original Melee competitive scene, although its not a bad thing). I don't expect it to come soon though. And if the competitive Smash 4 mode/edition is well balanced, that would be great as well.

Killabyte

Smash Rookie
How can we know?
It really depends upon what happens within Nintendo, internally.
Project M's existence certainly shows Nintendo which game mechanics most of the competitive players thoroughly enjoy, such as smooth landing from L-cancels, and wave-dashing.
Crouch cancelling and directional influence are other Melee/Project M mechanics, but I personally don't care for them as much, as crouch cancelling gets me punished when Iand an attack. Whoops, sorry, won't attack next time.
Di is a fun metagame, but doesn't really make as much, or any sense.
Then gain, this is Smash Brothers.
A game where not even the title makes sense, as the game is not about the Mario brothers exclusively... Luigi is an unlockable character in the first two!

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
How can we know?
It really depends upon what happens within Nintendo, internally.
Project M's existence certainly shows Nintendo which game mechanics most of the competitive players thoroughly enjoy, such as smooth landing from L-cancels, and wave-dashing.
Crouch cancelling and directional influence are other Melee/Project M mechanics, but I personally don't care for them as much, as crouch cancelling gets me punished when Iand an attack. Whoops, sorry, won't attack next time.
Di is a fun metagame, but doesn't really make as much, or any sense.
Then gain, this is Smash Brothers.
A game where not even the title makes sense, as the game is not about the Mario brothers exclusively... Luigi is an unlockable character in the first two!
DI has been around since Smash 64 and is in Smash 4, although smash DI is somewhat lacking. Though this can change before release. The main point of performing it though is to save yourself from flying off the screen. Crouch canceling I don't necessarily care about, but it adds more depth to the game from a competitive standpoint, and prevents the game from becoming overly offensive imo.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
DI has been around since Smash 64 and is in Smash 4, although smash DI is somewhat lacking. Though this can change before release. The main point of performing it though is to save yourself from flying off the screen. Crouch canceling I don't necessarily care about, but it adds more depth to the game from a competitive standpoint, and prevents the game from becoming overly offensive imo.
And the reason DI was nerfed was to prevent the game from becoming overly defensive, which was what our (and Sakurai himself's) main complaint against the Brawl metagame is.

Just putting that out there.

Top Bottom