• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Invitational Announced, Who gets an Invite?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nintendo announced today the "Super Smash Bros. Invitational" that will be held at E3 on June 10th, 2014. The Invitational will reportedly include 16 "highly skilled" players who will compete at the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles - specifically using Super Smash Brothers Wii U. The press release details that this event will be a great way for both new and veteran players to participate. Details on who the invited players will be, who the announcers are, and what the format of the event will be are forthcoming.

Who will get a coveted invitation?

Also announced is a chance for everyone to get their hands on Super Smash Brothers Wii U at participating Best Buy stores. During the weekend of E3, on June 10, 2014, players can go to Best Buy and play a demo of the new Super Smash Brothers game. Nintendo has aptly titled these events "Smash-Fest"s and one can only hope that it is a tribute to the community that has sustained the game competitively longer than any game in North America. The Invitational will be just one of over 1,000 Super Smash Brothers tournaments in 2014.

Everyone can play Smash Bros. at participating Best Buy stores on June 10, 2014

Who will be the 16 invited players? Here is an initial list for suggestions, limited to players in North America, in no order - based on both talent and the likelihood Nintendo has heard of them (e.g. all Smash Documentary players, players who won Brawl launch tournaments, etc.):
  • Mew2King - One of the best at Brawl and Melee
  • Isai - Best at Smash 64
  • PPMD - Apex Champion
  • Mango - EVO Champion
  • Gnes - MLG 2010 Champion for Brawl
  • Ally - Best Brawl players for several years
  • PC Chris - MLG 2006 Champion for Melee
  • KoreanDJ - MLG 2006 Runner up and winner of the 2008 Best Buy launch tournament (Crystal Wii)
  • Ken - Undisputed Worlds best Melee player from 2004-2006 and Survivor star
  • Chu Dat - One of the best Melee and Brawl players, also made it to Top 8 of the Brawl GameStop launch event
  • Azen - One of the best overall gamers alive and one of the best veteran Melee players
  • Hungrybox - One of the big 5 Melee players and sponsored by Curse
  • Lee Martin - Top Brawl player and winner of the 2008 GameStop Launch tournament
  • Nairo - Apex Champion and arguably the best Brawl player at current
  • ADHD - One of the best Brawl players
  • DEHF - One of the best Brawl and rising Melee players, Apex Champion
For announcers: Prog and D1

What do you think? Who are we missing? How will Nintendo decide who to include to their Invitational tournament?

You can read the full press release below
PLAY NINTENDO: NEW GAMES, NEW EVENTS AND LIVE, NONSTOP PROGRAMMING ON TAP FOR E3 2014

Super Smash Bros. Tournament Highlights Nintendo’s E3 Approach

REDMOND, Wash., April 29, 2014 – Over the last few years, Nintendo has repeatedly reinvented its approach to E3 by creating unique ways to break news and get fans at home involved in the fun, while also offering great experiences for on-site attendees. That mission continues in 2014 as Nintendo offers a series of new channels to communicate news directly to its key audiences, including fans, media, analysts, investors and business partners. This includes a new format for unveiling news: the Nintendo Digital Event; a Super Smash Bros. tournament; a full slate of live, in-depth game demos from the Nintendo booth; and an opportunity for fans to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for the first time at their local Best Buy.

"We demonstrated last year that we are never afraid to reinvent a proven tactic or to break completely new ground if we believe it will provide the best experience for our fans, followers and partners," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and chief operating officer. "So, whether you're attending E3 in person or joining online, there's an amazing lineup of games, experiences and events coming your way."

At E3 2014, Nintendo will offer four unique experiences, all under the unifying banner of "Play Nintendo."

Super Smash Bros. Invitational
2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.

Nintendo Digital Event
Every year, Nintendo looks for the best way to show its games and share its news with fans, media and other key audiences. In 2013, Nintendo decided to forgo a traditional press conference and use a video – in that case a Nintendo Direct – to share its news from E3. The company is building on that approach at E3 2014 with the "Nintendo Digital Event," a new kind of video program that will reveal and provide further detail about the gaming experiences on the way for Nintendo platforms in 2014 and beyond. The Nintendo Digital Event will air at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 10.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3
This year, Nintendo will offer fans a deeper look at Nintendo's biggest games of E3, with information directly from the source. The "Treehouse," the Product Development department at Nintendo of America, will provide in-depth game demos live and unscripted from Nintendo's booth. This new program will be live streamed during all hours of the E3 show. Fans can get settled in, open their browsers and experience the Nintendo games at E3 like never before.

Super Smash Bros. Smash Fest @ Best Buy
In 2013, Nintendo broke new ground by expanding its E3 activities outside of the walls of the Los Angeles Convention Center and letting fans play some of the games being played on the show floor at participating Best Buy stores. The partnership between Nintendo and Best Buy continues in 2014 and will mark the first time around the world that fans have had the opportunity to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

More details about each event, including dates, times, locations and game content will be revealed shortly. To follow all of Nintendo's E3 activities, keep an eye on Nintendo's Facebook page, Twitter feed and YouTube channel. Or visit http://e3.nintendo.com.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, and Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.2 billion video games and more than 669 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™ and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at http://www.nintendo.com.

Last edited:

Iguana

Smash Cadet
Regardless of what rules they will have, this is amazing. Can't wait to see who gets invited. But more importantly, can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for their Digital Event. (still crossing fingers for a new F-Zero game)

Also, winner of the invitational plays a best of 5 with Fils-A-Mech for extra prizes.

Masterphailure

Smash Cadet
I love what you're doing Nintendo, but keep the demo going! I played the MK8 demo last E3 at Nintendo World but it was far too short of a time!

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
That seems like a very good list. I'd watch the crap out of that. Kinda wonder how much time the invitees will have with the game before the tourney.

megaexplosion

Smash Rookie
When they say it'll be available at select Best Buy stores do they mean the Wii U version?

Edit: Never mind. I skipped a section of the post. :x

Last edited:

OldManDyl (OMD)

Smash Cadet
If a Ganondorf/Falcon announcement happens between now and then or Nintendo expects to announce them at that time, Kage and/or Hax are two others.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I just hope they choose actual players (like those on the list) and not a pre-determined roster of actors posing as pro players (*AHEM* More than half the contestants of The Tester).

Last edited:

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Even if they invite a few of these players it will be a amazing tournament. If Isai gets invited, they should announce :falconmelee: for smash 4

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
This is super hype. Especially the fact that we'll be getting a demo soon.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
OH MY GOSH I SAW THIS ON POLYGON AND RUSHED HERE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Chinafun

Smash Rookie
I'm so happy about this. Nintendo is creating hype. This is a good sign that maybe they will support their fans in tournaments in the future.

spookyboogie

Smash Rookie
NNID
coffeepunk
I think having chillindude on there would be good too. The big sponsorships recently went to KDJ, Ken, chillin, and hungrybox - I think i would be good to have them all on board (not just for their sponsorship status though, they're all rad)

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Play a little Mario kart 8 for a week, then throw it out in the TRASH, OH BOY SUPER SMASH BROS WII U @ BEST BUY PEACE!!!

lol jk :p

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
What controllers do you think these guys are going to have to use? The Wii-motes?

GOOD. LUCK.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
What controllers do you think these guys are going to have to use? The Wii-motes?

GOOD. LUCK.
Hey I use the wii motes and am very comfortable with them compared to gamecube controllers.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Hey I use the wii motes and am very comfortable with them compared to gamecube controllers.
But I'm saying.. these guys have been playing with GC controllers their whole life. And now they have to use the wii-motes?

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
But I'm saying.. these guys have been playing with GC controllers their whole life. And now they have to use the wii-motes?
Classic Controllers work really well, too (I can play Project M near effortlessly with it). They'll likely use Wii U Pro Controllers, though.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
well first off were really not sure who it is exactly?

because Nintendo could be referring to their "professional players" AKA "testers". lol

I don't think you can use the GC controller on the Wii U? am I right?

Best bet is Wii U pro controller AKA Xbox 360 Controller lol

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
well first off were really not sure who it is exactly?

because Nintendo could be referring to their "professional players" AKA "testers". lol

I don't think you can use the GC controller on the Wii U? am I right?

Best bet is Wii U pro controller AKA Xbox 360 Controller lol
Hope you're right

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
If these are the names that Nintendo chooses, it will be huge for their relationship with the competitive Smash community.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I really hope the Best Buy event has more than one Wii U to play Smash on. It was ridiculous to wait more than 3 hours in line to play two minutes of Mario Kart 8 last year (but it was worth it).

Top Bottom