• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Hierarchy Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Okay, if we're including levels, I would say:

A Tier:
Mario (2 - 4 levels, moderate chance of a character being added)
Pokemon (1-2 New levels, high chance of 1 - 2 character additions)
Wii Series ( 1 - 3 levels, moderate chance of 1 character addition)
Donkey Kong (1 - 2 levels, moderate chance of 1 - 2 characters being added)

B Tier
Legend Of Zelda (1 - 3 Levels, low chance of 1 character)
Kirby (2 levels, low chance of 1 character)
Metroid (1 level, High Chance of 1 character)
Fire Emblem (1 level, high chance of a character being added)

C - Tier
Kid Icarus (1 level, moderate chance of 1 character)
F - Zero (1 level, moderate chance of 1 character)
StarFox (1 level, moderate chance of a newcomer being added)

D - Tier
Mother (1 level, low chance of a newcomer being added)
Animal Crossing (1 level, low chance of newcomer addition)
Wario (1 level, low chance of 1 newcomer)
Pikmin (1 level, low chance of a newcomer being added)
Yoshi (1 level, low chance of 1 newcomer)

E - Tier
Game & Watch (1 level, no character)
Ice Climbers (1 level, no character)

F - Tier
Electro Plankton (No level, no character)
Gyromite (No level, no character)
Not saying anything bad about the games but why is Donkey kong a tier A?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pretty much we have a good chance of getting four reps for that game. So, you know, that's a lot coming from one franchise.

Also Swampy, tell me when I can add other franchises ~ If you wan't some symbols for them, I'm sure someone could help you scrounge up some. Hex used to make a bunch.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I'd move Fire Emblem up to the B Tier. Awakening is doing really well.

Also, I wouldn't even give Electroplankton a tier. It's so obscure and useless.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pretty much we have a good chance of getting four reps for that game. So, you know, that's a lot coming from one franchise.

Also Swampy, tell me when I can add other franchises ~ If you wan't some symbols for them, I'm sure someone could help you scrounge up some. Hex used to make a bunch.
I think you are misinterpreting the chart. He isn't saying which series are likely to get more reps, he's asking if the series by their popularity necessarily get the most reps.

Which your chart might prove against

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh, you're right. I'm significantly less interested now. Hohum.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Here's mine.

A-Tier:
Super Mario
Pokemon
Zelda
Wii Series

B-Tier:
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Wario

C-Tier:
F-Zero
StarFox
Animal Crossing

D-Tier:
Mother
Pikmin
Kid Icarus
Yoshi

E-Tier:
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers

F-Tier:
Electro Plankton
Gyromite

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright. I don't think we're gonna agree on a tier for everything any time soon.

Let's talk about a new series.

Where would you place Punch Out?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Alright. I don't think we're gonna agree on a tier for everything any time soon.

I'd say D or E. Given that there's very few games in the series and it's somewhat obscure. Well maybe it could qualified as a C rank series depending on how well the newest game sold.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

E or F. It may have once been popular but I'd never say its a remotely popular franchise now.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, I'd say E.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
E tier at least, maybe even D. cause even though Punch Out may not be on top in terms of sales or anything, it is one of the most recognized Nintendo franchises outside of the obviously more popular series out there. but that's just me

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
E tier would be best for punch out.

There series isn't forgotten, since it got a wii release. But there is no way it can compete against the D tier series such as Yoshi, Wario, etc.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Punch Out is E.

What about Golden Sun?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
D or C depending on how well it did in Japan. I know it's a cult classic in the west.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any franchise without playable characters shouldn't be ranked higher than series with playable characters logically. At least, when it comes to Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Soo... We still doing this?

For any series that came out since Brawl's release it should be D by default unless proven unpopular or incredibly popular.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It lives!!!!

We only got one opinion for Golden Sun. So far people think it's a D. Give your opinions people!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Everyone thinks Golden Sun should be D?

Well, if I get one more opinion saying that, I will add it to the D-Tier.

Can anyone find an emblem for Punch Out!! and Golden Sun?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There is a Golden Sun emblem in the Isaac thread. There also might be one for Punch-Out in the Little Mac thread.
I added an emblem for Punch Out!!

I'm not sure who the creator is, but if they want the emblem removed, please tell me.

Again. We need more opinions on Golden Sun!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Golden Sun has three games, all of them released in three major regions (Japan, NA and PAL[EU+AU]) and neither of them is retro and it seems that Camelot could still work on more installments.

I'd put it on the same boat as Kid Icarus, since the games have some popularity, as well as the main character of the first two games, Isaac.

Depending on how EarthBound will sell on the VC in North America and, most importantly, the PAL regions (Europe and Australia), the franchise may "level up" from E to D.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright. That last opinion puts Golden Sun into the D-Tier.

Where would you folks put Xenoblade? Keep in mind that "X" may or may not be a sequel.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Alright. That last opinion puts Golden Sun into the D-Tier.

Where would you folks put Xenoblade? Keep in mind that "X" may or may not be a sequel.
If the A-C tiers are solidified then I would rank Xenoblade tier D. While the sales have yet to be incredibly amazing and that it is still a standalone game, the reception it has seen can rival some of the greatest Mario and Zelda games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Is there a way to resize the images? The Golden Sun emblem is way too big compared to others.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is there a way to resize the images? The Golden Sun emblem is way too big compared to others.
Yeah. I'm not sure how.

If anyone knows how then please tell me.

Opinion on Xenoblade?:p

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Xenoblade? D at best, in my opinion. The series hasn't left a big mark yet, but being the first game and "X" being a possible sequel, it's safe to assume that the series is "alive," unlike F-Zero or EarthBound that haven't got new releases since 2004 and 2006 respectively.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As it is Xenoblade is D but the Sequel might propel it to C tier.

I am the threadomancer

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
With it Xenoblade having only 1 game I can't even rank it at d-tier. Even if this new game sells well i couldn't see it being anything higher than D. For now I say it's E-Tier.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd honestly put Xenoblade in the C-Tier. This would be because lets face it, Xenoblade Chronicles was one of the best New IP's Nintendo has delivered this generation. There hasn't been anything new that has truly been as successful as it. It definitely isn't A or B tier, but it's the best selling of the Project Rainfall games, and Shulk has quite the following for Smash.

I'm kind of hoping these tidbits convince some of you, but alas it likely won't.

Xenoblade is C-Tier to me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You have to consider the general pool of eligible characters for Smash 4. Shulk actually has a decent chance when not competing with Ridley or K.Rool or Mewtwo. Seriously. He is generally popular.

This is how I see the newcomers as an example: (not in any particular order)
Ridley
Mewtwo
K.Rool
Palutena
Chrom and/or Roy
Takamaru and/or Little Mac
Shulk
Pac-Man/Lloyd Irving
Isaac
Mario Character

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally make these changes to the tier list in the OP:

1. Move Pokemon from B tier to A tier. If we're talking about popularity then Pokemon comes very close to Mario. The games are popular amongst 'non gamers' (the sort of people who only play games occasionally), average gamers and hardcore gamers. It features a fanbase as obsessive as you can get, any new games released fly off the shelves, it's enjoyed by a wide age group (little kids to grown adults) and the words 'Pokemon' and 'Pikachu' are household names.

2. Move Animal Crossing up to C tier. It's an extremely popular series that gets raved over. The games are loved by casual gamers, hardcore gamers and everything in the between. It's grown into one of Nintendo's popular series, it's just that it only gets one release per system because of the nature of the games.

3. Move Game & Watch up to at least E tier, if not D. I feel the series is being extremely underestimated here. Game & Watch isn't just some random and obscure thing Nintendo made 20 years ago, it's are one of the most important things Nintendo's ever done, it's the origin of portable gaming. Because of how important and iconic the Game & Watch line is it's extremely loved and appreciated by retro gamers. Also G&W still have an impact on the games Nintendo produce today, just look at the upcoming Wario Ware game - Game & Wario.

4. Maybe move Golden Sun down to E tier. I feel it's as esoteric as Mother, F-Zero and Punch-Out. I think it's the the only series in the D tier not to be somewhat popular in the mainstream.

If we're looking for other Nintendo series to add then I'd recommend:

1. Puzzle League - D tier. It's Nintendo's biggest puzzle series aside from Dr. Mario. It continues to get games released for the series which are fairly popular amongst casual gamers. The series itself is highly respected by fans of puzzle games.

2. Wars (aka Advance Wars) - E tier. It's loved by a lot of Nintendo fans and is critically acclaimed, however it doesn't have much mainstream fame or popularity.

3. StarTropics - F tier. The series has a fair few fans. You could say it has a 'cult following' but that following isn't anywhere near as substantial as that of the likes of Mother and F-Zero. The series would probably be a lot more popular if it wasn't released so late into the NES's lifespan.

4. The Legendary Starfy - E tier. Has built up reasonable popularity since the series got an international release.

5. Sin and Punishment - E tier. When the original game was released on the Virtual Console it got quite the cult following which was so considerable that it earned a sequel. Since then the series has gotten only more popular.

6. Custom Robo - E tier. Only two games have been released internationally, which didn't sell well and weren't praised highly by critics, but there exists a decent number of people out there who really love the series.

7. Super Smash Bros. - C tier. A immensely popular series with a huge hardcore fanbase.

8. Chibi-Robo - F tier. One reasonably popular and acclaimed game, a second game that nobody really seemed to care about and a third game that only got released in Japan. A series you rarely see mentioned anymore.

9. Excite - E tier. Excitebike is a very iconic NES game, and the series has had a good revival these last few years with Excite Truck, Excitebots and Excitebike: World Rally. While reasonably popular amongst Nintendo fans, the games didn't have enough mainstream success to propel the series any higher than the letter it starts with.

10. Pilotwings - E tier. A series that's always had a good cult following amongst Nintendo fans and has had a revival recently.

11. Wave Race - E tier. Another cult favourite amongst Nintendo fans, not much else to say really.

12. Magical Starsign - F tier. A somewhat obscure series that doesn't seem to have much of a fanbase.

13. Pullbox/Pushmo - D tier. A series that seems to be at the forefront of Nintendo's download revolution. Successful sales wise, successful reception wise and has built up quite a fanbase.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Add Professor Layton to C-list his games are very popular on the handheld and has a chance of getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom