• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Figurine Platform (NFP) Renamed "Amiibo" + Details

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I don't think this is going to be as good as we hope. When they say it's a level 50 computer it's not going to be just because of it's 'learned' tactics but because of it's raised stats. Imagine fighting a level 9 computer on a handicap and that's what this is.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I don't think this is going to be as good as we hope. When they say it's a level 50 computer it's not going to be just because of it's 'learned' tactics but because of it's raised stats. Imagine fighting a level 9 computer on a handicap and that's what this is.
It gets boosts as you give it upgrades. It can also learn certain ways people fight. I think it will be pretty good and fun to challenge a buffed computer that has higher computer level skills than the average.

A bonus, would be if the Amiibo could pick up on professional moves like wavedashing and spot dodging.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
It gets boosts as you give it upgrades. It can also learn certain ways people fight. I think it will be pretty good and fun to challenge a buffed computer that has higher computer level skills than the average.

A bonus, would be if the Amiibo could pick up on professional moves like wavedashing and spot dodging.
True... What would be more amazing is if it could learn bread and butter combo's and set up and then always use them when possible.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
True... What would be more amazing is if it could learn bread and butter combo's and set up and then always use them when possible.
Yes. That would be amazing. I do think they will be capable of doing that, but you have to train with them alot.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
This is going to be so awesome.

The idea of Meta Knight being a sparring partner is just so mindblowing. I do hope they get to be good enough to either A. Be an Equal or B. Kick my butt most of the time, but not everytime.

I like idea of two players fighting each other and they both use their personalized Amiibos to help them out. Each time the two players meet, the battles will never be the same.

I always liked the idea of putting stuff on my shelves related to things I love. Amiibos are small enough to not take up too much space, and they actually do something. I plan to work on getting quite a few of them.

Other characters I will probably want at some point:
Lucario - Another good choice for a character all about sparring while being awesome. After Meta Knight I'll definently get Lucario, unless someone awesome that has not been announced yet joins Smash.

R.O.B. - Now he really can be your Robotic Operating Buddy. I will definently get him after Lucario + Meta Knight because I am a sucker for Nostalgic things. R.O.B. may have been useless, but I still loved him a lot as a kid, and just liked having him out when I played games. So even if I never use the R.O.B. Amiibo, I will love to just have it just sitting around where I can see it.

As for the next 3, I'm not sure which one I'd get first for I love them for different reasons.
Wolf O'Donnell - I loved doing Fox vs Wolf (or Fox/Wolf dittos) 1v1 duels in Brawl (and Fox vs Falco or Fox/Falco 1v1 duels in Melee). However, I generally prefer to play Wolf, so if I get the Wolf Amiibo, I might get the Fox Amiibo too. I like Anti-heros that are basicly a better version of the main hero, and wolves are cool. So what?
Charizard - I do like the idea of a dragon kicking my butt. However, I'm not sure if they'll let the CPUs become that powerful. If the CPUs are weak, I may not get Charizard.
Link - One of the two characters that got me into Swords (other being MK), and one of my two favorite bow users (other being Pit), and I love his large arsenal as well. Link is also the most interesting character for me to watch when it comes to Brawl gameplay.
However, I might not get Toon Link, especially if SSB4 portrays Toon Link like Brawl, he'll be too childish for my liking. In Wind Waker he was always such a grumpy pants or had a "normal" expression unless he actually had a friggin reason to smile.

Pit - "The fight is on!". Bows + Daggers + Flight = Awesomeness. Goodie goodie two shoes act along with being a little ditzy at times is the only reason why I don't want his Amiibo so much. Personality can be distracting sometimes.
Samus (with Suit) - Samus just fits being a CPU when she's in her suit, and she looks pretty awesome in it as well.

While very unlikely, I might get Little Mac, Marth, and Ike. Marth and Ike only because I like swordsmen, and because they are fun to use in Smash (Maybe one day I'll play Fire Emblem so I can properly enjoy/dislike them). Little Mac because of Nostalgia. However, when it comes to Nostalgia, I think of the game and competitors in Punchout, not Little Mac himself.

I might even get Mii Fighter, but it really depends on a lot of things whether or not I'd get it. Would I be able to customize it's looks? Can I even choose which Mii Fighter it is? Or Would I have to get different Amiibos until I got the one I wanted? Or would it be random?

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
No.... This is bad. It's like Skylanders. Buy a crapton of overpriced toys in order to make the game easier. Not to mention, giving them a buff is just stupid. Buying this game was priority for me, but 'till save my money 'till it drops in price.
No.

First of all, they're Nintendo characters, so any Nintendo fan can recognize and relate to them (unlike Skylanders where there is less fanbase).

Secondly, you do not know their pricing as there hasn't been information on it yet.

Third, the game will not get easier if you buy these as they do not earn rewards for you, but instead can act as a sparring partner and level up (Smash Bros.). They will learn your style and adapt accordingly as a higher level CPU (potentially much higher than the lvl. 9 cap). They can also be used to fight other amiibos/players--but details are scarce as to exactly how.

In the end, this kind of pre-judgment is exactly what the Smash community doesn't need. These amiibos might just be the best things ever, but even if they aren't, they're still collectibles!

Last edited:

Hevy_Santana

Smash Cadet
I already have this planned out. My little cousins fight with toys all the time. I'm going to take them to pick out there favorite character. Then one day I'm gonna have them duke it out and see who is better. But then im gonna instigate that there was some cheating involved and this needs to be handled like real men. I'll then put there amiibos on my Wii u and shown them they can fight there toys in my game and watch them go ape ****. There 5 year old minds will be blown

Last edited:

Malion

Smash Ace
I love that they look just like the promo art.

Looking forward to the luigi amiibo with his dumb pose. Haha

D

Deleted member

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by a moderator:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
What if they release Amiibos for characters not playable in Smash 4? Maybe like a kind of DLC perhaps? Then again now that I think about it... Making a whole moveset for a character and then have them not be playable is dumb.

Iron Angel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Iron_Angel_X
They'd better get a Falco Amiibo. I gots to have my boy back!

ssbm_ENGLAND

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeFroglet
I think they will look good on your shelf. I was thinking yeah they will be great to train against if you don't have anyone local to play then i remembered... it's online.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
I like how the system works, but I'm not sure if I'll actually use it. I'm just not a fan of buying figurines to enhance any kind of computer or video game, it strikes me as a method of taking more money for essentially free.

It's the reason I don't have Disney Infinity despite it's very enticing customization gameplay. Still if you want to play evolving AIs, and I'll admit to wanting to myself, don't let my noise-making stop you.

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
This seems pretty gimmicky but I'll admit that if they make a Marth one I'm definitely getting it.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Might be fun as a sort of casual way for people to play with their favorite characters, wish it was inherently on the 3DS version with all characters, though. Streetpassing would be nice
Well there is a peripheral coming for the 3DS, so it'll work on Smash 3DS too.
Also...
We know that Franklin Badges are in the game; just say Ness is back already, Sakurai!!!

EDIT: I just realized: even though there is a peripheral for the 3DS as well, he didn't specifically say in the video that Amiibo would work on Smash 3DS. He just said to look forward to 3DS games that use it. Also, Nintendo has really only been talking about using it on the Wii U version. Of course, this is just my opinion, and it prolly will work on smash 3DS, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No.... This is bad. It's like Skylanders. Buy a crapton of overpriced toys in order to make the game easier. Not to mention, giving them a buff is just stupid. Buying this game was priority for me, but 'till save my money 'till it drops in price.
How do they make the game easier?
Don't complain about anything unless you understand it.
It doesn't make you look credible.

Darknut

Smash Cadet
I honestly love the concept of high-power, high-technique CPUs.
Yeah, could be cool. I hope that they also allow you a quick way to save your profile name, custom moves, custom controls etc so you can use them like a memory card when playing on different Wii U's. It would be great for tournaments.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Based on what I've seen from the things the do in Smash, these things seem like amazing training tools. I'm definitely looking into collecting them all.

Brady5953

Smash Rookie
It doesn't make the game easier, though. You can't control them. Plus they're usable in multiple games.
Oh, I horribly misunderstood this. I had the misconception that you may buy them and use them in combat as a playable character with stronger attacks. However, no matter the use, they sound sort of pointless. You beat them by yourself to train them and then pit them against a friend?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, I horribly misunderstood this. I had the misconception that you may buy them and use them in combat as a playable character with stronger attacks. However, no matter the use, they sound sort of pointless. You beat them by yourself to train them and then pit them against a friend?
Or fight against them yourself for the challenge. They can also be used in other games, too (where that character appears).

Doq

Smash Lord
Just gonna leave this here.
There are some music files on the Kirby's Epic Yarn disc called Amiibo1.brstm, Amiibo2.brstm, and Amiibo31.brstm. Pretty sure that these tracks have nothing to do with the NFP, just a fun fact.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just gonna leave this here.
There are some music files on the Kirby's Epic Yarn disc called Amiibo1.brstm, Amiibo2.brstm, and Amiibo31.brstm. Pretty sure that these tracks have nothing to do with the NFP, just a fun fact.
That's a pretty amazing coincidence. What are the songs, anyway?

Top Bottom