• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Direct - New Games, Announcements And More

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
This morning was host to the first Nintendo Direct of the year, and it did not disappoint! Games were shown off for the first time, important details were revealed, and Nintendo has made it clear it will be a good year for their fans. Read on below to find out what was announced!

2015 is here for Nintendo!
Fire Emblem

A Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei crossover was announced at last year's E3, but this is an entirely new Fire Emblem game! Nintendo showed off an impressive-looking trailer with gameplay that will look familiar to Fire Emblem: Awakening fans. It's no surprise: this title has been developed by the same team. Check out the trailer below!

Puzzle & Dragon Z

To those unfamiliar with the Japanese market, Puzzle and Dragon may be a bit of a mystery: it's an incredibly popular puzzle series that combines RPG stylings with a drag-and-drop take on classic Match Three gameplay. Puzzle & Dragon Z will feature that same gameplay, while also adding a Mario-themed campaign to go through! Puzzle & Dragon Z will be out in May of this year, so if puzzles with RPG elements sound interesting, there's plenty of time to look into the series yourself.

Kirby and The Rainbow Curse

This new Kirby game was given a brief explanation, though not much new information came of it. Similar to the DS title Canvas Curse, Kirby will roll along a line painted by the player on the Wii U Game Pad. Amiibo compatibility with the three Kirby characters was explained as well - Kirby amiibo can be used once a day, and will bestow a power-up on Kirby for a single level. Use those powerups wisely!

Kirby and The Rainbow Curse will be available on February 20th, 2015.

Splatoon

Splatoon was shown off during this Nintendo Direct, and several mechanics were explained in more detail. Each character will have three weapons: A Main, Sub and Special Weapon. These can be customized to a player's liking, but customization doesn't stop there. Clothes can also be bought that change stats such as power and speed.

No release date or trailer have been made available, so check out the full Nintendo Direct to see for yourself!

Downloadable Wii Titles Available In Wii U eShop

This announcement came completely out of left field! Wii games will now occasionally be added to the eShop for download. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is available for download today, while Super Punch-Out is coming on January 22nd and Metriod Prime: Trilogy will be here on January 29th. It's exciting to think about what Wii games may make it onto the eShop - what would you want to see?

New Amiibo Coming

Amiibo fans have tons to be excited about. Not one, but two new rounds of amiibo were announced: a Mario series coming in March, and round four of Smash Bros. amiibo, coming sometime in the spring. Nintendo rep Bill Trinen also mentioned several games that will be compatible, including Kirby and The Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker! However, to use an existing Smash Bros. amiibo with Mario Party 10, you must erase your fighter's data first... which is a bit of a let-down.

Mario Party 10

Speaking of, new entry into the Mario Party series will have three main play modes: Bowser Party, Mario Party, and amiibo Party. Bowser Party features the 4 vs. 1 gameplay previously announced at last year's E3, while Mario Party is the more typical Mario Party experience. amiibo Party is exactly as it sounds: players will use their amiibo to play on character-themed boards and use special power-ups.

Mario Party 10 will be available on March 20th, 2015.

Mario Party is back!

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars To Feature Cross-Play

The new Mario vs. Donkey Kong title coming later this year will be an eShop exclusive. It features gameplay familiar to series veterans, with the ability to create custom stages easily with the Game Pad. It will also be Nintendo first cross-play title! When bought on Wii U, a download code will be made available for the 3DS free of charge, and vice-versa. This is an exciting first, and hopefully Nintendo fans can look forward to more cross-play games in the future.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

This game is a sequel to what was arguably the best RPG on the Wii, so if JRPGs are your style it's absolutely worth checking out. It looks breathtaking, and features a combat system that Xenoblade fans can hop right into. Also mentioned during the Direct was a New 3DS XL-exclusive remake of the original Xenoblade Chronicles. It's being handled by the same team that ported over Donkey Kong Country Returns to the 3DS, so rest assured it will be faithful to the original.

No release date has been announced yet, but expect to hear more in the near future!

The New 3DS, Less Than A Month Away

Nintendo's latest upgrade to the 3DS is coming next month on February 13th! Host to a bevy of new features, the New 3DS will come in normal and XL sizes, are amiibo compatible, and have a new C-stick nub that can be used similarly to the ill-fated Circle Pad add-on. It also boasts better online functionality, 3D range, and battery life. It seems Nintendo has improved upon the original 3DS in every way, so it will be hard to keep hands off of this one when it shows up on shelves soon.

Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate, Demo Coming Soon

Monster Hunter 4 has been out in Japan for some time, but will be making its way to the Americas soon: April 14th, to be exact. It will feature full online and local play, so teams of hunters can play together from anywhere in the world! A demo is also 'coming shortly' on Nintendo 3DS, with a robust tutorial and access to all 14 classes of weapons, so keep an eye out for that! Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate will be releasing alongside the New Nintendo 3DS on February 13th, 2015.

Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate looks worlds better than its earlier counterpart - not an easy feat!
Project S.T.E.A.M

This strategy/action mashup game is being developed by the people behind Advance Wars, and features a mix of turn-based strategy and shooting action. It involves Abraham Lincoln pulling people from history into a crack team of commandos... so its premise is interesting to say the least. The game is also compatible with Fire Emblem amiibo - no real reason was given why, but having Marth, Ike and the gang available in-game is pretty neat. Project S.T.E.A.M. comes out March 13th, 2015 - check out the trailer below.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Last but not least, Majora's Mask 3D is coming very soon! The new textures look beautiful, and remake though it may be it's hard not to get excited for one of the most unique Zelda games of all time. Majora's Mask 3D will also be launching with the New 3DS on February 13th, 2015, and for those interested in special edition systems, there will be a New 3DS Majora's Mask bundle available as well!

- - - - - -
These are all the big announcements, but if you want to see every little piece of info, from a Pokemon free-to-play title to Hyrule Warriors DLC to Namco's 4-player co-op mystery, check out the whole thing right here. What do you think? Any announcements you were hoping for? Excited for the next few months? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit thinks this is almost TOO many games. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
monster hunter news was all i wanted and this direct delivered with that and even more with that fire emblem 14 news

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Monster Hunter, Majora's Mask 3D, Splatoon, Xenoblade X AND NEW FIRE EMBLEM?

This money, it will not go into the screen

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
I'm not buying a New 3DS until there's a Zelda edition.

"Announcing a Majora's Mask Edition of the New 3DS XL!"

DAMMIT. *pulls out credit card*

dettadeus

Smash Lord
they literally didn't mention anything about the regular size new 3ds lol, every single time they mentioned the system they specified "new nintendo 3ds xl"

and since the new 3ds has the faceplates thing i really don't think they'd just not mention it at all if it was releasing

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
THE KOOLOO-LIMPAH WILL ON!
That was the best part of the direct for me. :p

EDIT: No mention of Hyrule Warriors? What the...

Last edited:

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
heh, disappointed. i was expecting mewtwo for some reason

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Going to point out it's an entirely new Fire Emblem game, not SMT x FE. Don't you start confusing people, Smashboards staff!

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
They din't even SHOW FREAKING MEWTWO AND MARIO KART DLC AND IT WAS GLORIUS!!!!!!

Damn, My wallet is F DEAD!!!!

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
man those special edition New 3DS's look awesome...
once again Nintendo is killing my wallet... T-T

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Oh man, Splatoon. Haven't been so interested in an online shooter since Team Fortress 2. AND IT EVEN HAS HATS TOO!.

Btw, to anyone dissapointed by the lack of Mewtwo trailer. Give Sakurai a break, literally. He and his team are surely hard at work. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he is delayed to early summer.

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
I'm mostly excited for the new 3ds XL gonna get that majora's mask one sorry can't buy a wii u as of yet but maybe some games for it

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Eh oO Pretty sure it's a new Fire Emblem. I see nothing in that video that looks remotely like anything out of the Shin Megami Tensei games, also, seems like it's name is Fire Emblem If.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Does playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii U add any features like being able to play with the gamepad or 1080p resolution?

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Something told me Tingle was going to be in Hyrule Warriors. But Young Link's appearance is a good twist though. Aside from that, looking forward to the New 3DS. Better start saving up again.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I sit just me or does the VA for Marth in Project Steam sound just like the VA for Marth in Smash King?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No Wooly World info? That's disappointing.

Still; Captain Toad amiibo explanation finally...shame the amiibo is just standard Toad, but oh well. Mario Party, right?

...still a shame he's the only one who isn't a Smash playable thus far.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
What to say... that was awesome, man I'm a huge fan of FE games since the forth one that came out in japan and this one looks great, I love how they said that it's developed by Intelligent Sistems duh like every other one but I guess that they did it to not scare away every one that played awakening first, then Majora's mask has a release date YES! that's awesome, the new Xenoblade X trailer was cool even though a bit useless but I liked it anyway, Splatoon seems pretty interesting but I don't really like shooters, and the fact that I can play Metroid Prime trilogy without spending too much money is also pretty awesome the other things for me were not so interesting but in general it was a great way to start 2015 Hype

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Eh oO Pretty sure it's a new Fire Emblem. I see nothing in that video that looks remotely like anything out of the Shin Megami Tensei games, also, seems like it's name is Fire Emblem If.
which is also how the SMT that kinda started Persona was called, Shin Megami Tensei if, is this a coincidence, a premonition perhaps, probably not but cool nonetheless

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
God dammit, they really need to fix those jaggies in Xenoblade X, it looks like a PS2 game. Still interested as f though.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Ironfall Is a Great Move by Nintendo if they play the Cards right like what they are doing with Splatoon They can easily Re-invent the FPS Series Which Is Really amazing! (I mean those were the last things I'd ever say about FPS's coming from Me)
upload_2015-1-14_16-57-41.png
(You can Tell these will be Sold Out by Mother Fans In Minutes)

D

Deleted member

I was expecting more Mewtwo information, but the rest is great. Good to see the New 3DS finally coming out in other regions.. but no regular-sized model? Eh, I guess the XL will do.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
which is also how the SMT that kinda started Persona was called, Shin Megami Tensei if, is this a coincidence, a premonition perhaps, probably not but cool nonetheless
I...I thought about that too, honestly, I hope not xD Shin Megami Tensei If. I remember some people saying how it was considered one of the worst games in the SMT series. (never played tho, cause the game never got out of Japan) it could be that I read that in some biased site, though. Also, the "if" on the title was based off a British cult film of same name, because it had a similar storyline. Not sure why the title of this Fire Emblem game is "If" xD could be because of what Satoru Iwata said about your choices ingame actually mattering now?

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
3DS bias in this direct, and not enough Wii U news. Was hoping to hear a few things about Woolly World, Mario Maker, Zelda U and Star Fox, but oh well.

Top Bottom