• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Direct (08.08.2018) - "Mysterious Mode" (Possible Story-Mode?)

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
On the today Nintendo Direct (08/08/2018), Sakurai "censored" one of the existing mode on the menu. He says it's too soon to talk about it and define it as a "Mysterious mode". It was pixelisated so we cannot see what is written in this green block. I think that there is a lot of chances that this mode is in fact a new story-mode like The Subspace Emissary (Adventure Mode) in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. What do you guys thinks about it? If that isn't a story mode, what can it possibly be? I will be updating this post regularly with additional elements that is pointed out in this thread.

Smash5-Menu.png

1) The Mode is called "Spirits"
Apparently, the mode is called "Spirits" as seen in this thread (picture below). That guy also said that "in the Japanese trailer, it's also visible, and it says スピリッツ which is the english word "spirits" in katakana ; not the word for spirit in japanese". During the Nintendo Direct, we can see Luigi being "killed" and his souls goes out of his body which hints at synergy with the name "Spirits". This looks a lot like a new story concept, isn't it?

2) Rathalos showcase confirms StoryMode/Boss Battle?
Also, we get to see a dragon from Monster Hunter defined as both an Assist trophy and a Stage Boss. During his showcase, we can see a flat stage (beautiful by the way) of what looks similar to the Subspace Emissary stages. The stage is nowhere to be seen in the Stage select screen and there is only one character on the Monster Hunter stage which fits with a story-mode. A alternative interpretation is that Boss battle make its returns. According to YeahVeryeah YeahVeryeah :
the boss area greatly resembles area 2(?) of Ancestral Steppe from Monster Hunter 4 with more subdued colors. The red rocks and yellow grass are dead giveaways.
rathalos.png

3) The Castlevania stage

Another thing I've just seen while re-watching the live is that at the beginning we can see Simon Belmont walking up to Dracula with a scrolling-camera, which looks very similar to Melee/Brawl Adventure Mode (Source). People noticed that the multiplayer version of the stage isn't the same as the one with Dracula. Indeed, the multiplayer version features platforms while the boss version don't, and the boss version has a throne which is nowhere to be seen in the multiplayer version. However, stages backgrounds generally changes during a match so the platforms & throne could appear & disappear during the game.

4) The Cutscenes & Newcomers
By the way, the cutscenes looks more similar to Subspace Emissary than the Super Smash Bros. 4 reveals. Indeed, while Super Smash Bros. 4 had cutscenes with various styles for each, Smash Ultimate had all the same CGU/Art direction. YeahVeryeah YeahVeryeah also made a good point :

"You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them," - Sakurai, emphasis mine. Consider the new approach! They show the cutscenes first as marketing, disguised as reveal trailers. Second, they reveal the story mode, causing everyone to realize something huge was hidden right under their nose. (HUGE for getting people talking.) Sakurai doesn't have to worry about wasting cutscene money if its doubling as marketing!
They are adding more villains characters to the game which almost confirms that they are going to be a part of the new story-mode plots.

Last edited:

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
The fact that the Monster Hunter stage was completely flat with no interesting features other than the boss definitely hints at an SSE style boss fight. The stage itself is not interesting at all, especially with Stage Hazards taken off.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Yeahh, I'm almost positive it's another story mode as well. I'm not gonna be letting my hopes up or anything, but that would be pretty rad if it was.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If it is an adventure mode, I hope it's toned back more Melee style.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the biggest hint is that Heroes vs Villains reel right before K. Rool's intro trailer. I truly think we're looking at a new story mode with a Heroes vs Villains theme here.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
True that just before the King K. Rool announcement, they showed us villains they added to the game. During the direct, he told us to keep tuned for new characters announcement so we might get new villains. The hype is real.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I feel like the biggest hint is that Heroes vs Villains reel right before K. Rool's intro trailer. I truly think we're looking at a new story mode with a Heroes vs Villains theme here.
May not want to read to much into that. It fit with the trailer, and if you do want to stretch it, possibly the new Classic mode setup.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Indeed, it could be a Classic Mode's new feature like :

'Stage X: Fight against a random villain / or fight against a villain from the same universe as your character'. In a Metal battle settings to double the fun.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think it will be a campaign/adventure mode like Subspace Emissary, but with a totally different theme and more production quality.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm convinced this mode has to be a new Adventure Mode, or at the very least a new Boss Battles type of deal. I'm not convinced it's a full-on Story Mode just yet since I just don't think there's room in this game's development cycle for all those cutscenes considering everything else we've seen, but I can definitely see an upgraded Melee-style Adventure Mode, maybe with a few simplistic cutscenes, but nothing like we've seen in the reveal trailers thus far. I'm also banking on this being the streamlined way of unlocking fighters Sakurai mentioned since we haven't really seen anything else that fits the bill.
Oh, and one other thing: the mode's called "Spirits." You can see for yourself in this Twitter thread. May or may not have anything to do with the fact that everyone keeps dying in these reveal trailers (especially Luigi... poor Luigi).

Khao

Smash Lord
Something else that hints at the possibility of a mode featuring boss fights is the fact that we never see more than one playable character at once in the Monster Hunter stage, meaning it's probably single-player gameplay. The Rathalos might not even be a stage boss in the first place.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I also think this looks to be some sort of adventure mode, whether it is more like melee or brawl is still anyones guess although this does seem to point more towards brawl. Whos knows though, may this is a new Smash Run or Boss Battle mode or something else entirely.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
You know what? I'm calling it right the **** now. Dracula is not a stage boss either. He's part of whatever mode the Rathalos is too. Because look at the footage again. Dracula only appears with a single fighter on-screen. He's not in multiplayer battles.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't see any real reason to purposefully show a blurred section and tease what didn't need to be teased unless it's either something brand new and amazing or a highly requested mode that would get fans excited. So my money is on either a single player portion, as has been hinted at, or a new take on Smash Run, which was pretty popular but restricted to 3DS.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, this mod is called "Spirits" as seen in this thread (picture below, thanks to Ze Diglett for the information).

Another thing I've just seen while re-watching the live is that at the beginning we can see Simon Belmont walking up to Dracula with a scrolling-camera, which looks very similar to Melee/Brawl Adventure Mode (Source). I've added those information on the original post as well.

About the Monster Hunter stage, I don't remember Smash Bros making a stage from a series without adding a playable character from the same universe.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
About the Monster Hunter stage, I don't remember Smash Bros making a stage from a series without adding a playable character from the same universe.
Is that really a Monster Hunter stage though? It's so... bland. It hardly looks like a stage.

It looks more to me like that lake stage they made for the Rayquaza (spelling?) boss fight in Brawl. It's made specifically to fight a boss, not for Smash battles.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Indeed, it can be anything. Though, it must be taken from Smash Boss and/or from a Story Mode. If that's Smash Boss, it won't be in the main menu but rather the Games & More section. Lord Sakurai likes to tease us.

Khao

Smash Lord
Another reason to think Dracula is not a stage hazard, but a boss battle on a separate mode.

This is Dracula's Castle, the multiplayer stage:

But this is not the same stage Dracula appears in.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I say he is both, sakurai mentioned him showing up ever so often

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't see any Subspace Emissary sequels occurring, but an Adventure mode like what Melee had is always a possibility.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
As much as I agree that a campaign is likely, I think people should consider the possibility that the campaign is housed within Games&More and that this green thing is a new multiplayer mode in the vein of Smash Run or Smash Tour. This is Sakurai we're talking about, he likes making new, fresh ideas, even if they're sort of wacky.

If it is an adventure mode, I hope it's toned back more Melee style.
A part of me really agrees. As ambitious as Brawl's was, it was a bit, I dunno, thinly spread? Single levels dragged on a bit. Melee's kept things fresh by not trying to make the campaign too long. If they go down this route, though, I would like to see multiple campaigns, or maybe the adventure each character goes on is different, taken from the same pool of levels to make a unique 8-12 level campaign for each character.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see multiple campaigns, or maybe the adventure each character goes on is different, taken from the same pool of levels to make a unique 8-12 level campaign for each character.
It would be too much effort for each characters. Since everyone don't really play ALL characters, I don't find this idea good. A large adventure mode with saves where you can play X characters is way better in my opinion since it would be fun to replay the level with other characters. While a specific campaign for each characters is redundant since it's basically the Classic Mode we're getting in this new Smash Bros.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Another reason to think Dracula is not a stage hazard, but a boss battle on a separate mode.

Uh, no offense and I want to believe you but what’s the difference?

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
The stage is flat while the other has platforms and looks smaller. Though, it can be the FD version / just a matter of perspective (stage oftenly transform with platform appearing and disappearing). The best clue is still how the stage scroll with 1-character only just before the fight. Possible story-mode or the reworked version of Classic Mode (I doubt it since this mode has always been an arcade mode, but everything is possible in this new Smash).

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
A part of me really agrees. As ambitious as Brawl's was, it was a bit, I dunno, thinly spread? Single levels dragged on a bit. Melee's kept things fresh by not trying to make the campaign too long. If they go down this route, though, I would like to see multiple campaigns, or maybe the adventure each character goes on is different, taken from the same pool of levels to make a unique 8-12 level campaign for each character.
The only problem with melee adventure is that imo it was very similar to classic, with some race to the finish/objective based levels thrown in there. I would much rather have a subspace styled story (but greatly improved upon), or a brand new great cave offensive style mode.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace

wow they look indeed different. The Dracula battle looks longer... hmm

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
The only problem with melee adventure is that imo it was very similar to classic, with some race to the finish/objective based levels thrown in there. I would much rather have a subspace styled story (but greatly improved upon), or a brand new great cave offensive style mode.
I can agree to that. Something in between would be cool. Maybe 5-10 campaigns that are meant to be done in one sitting, and each one is more heavy on subspace style combat.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Is that really a Monster Hunter stage though? It's so... bland. It hardly looks like a stage.

It looks more to me like that lake stage they made for the Rayquaza (spelling?) boss fight in Brawl. It's made specifically to fight a boss, not for Smash battles.
The boss area greatly resembles area 2(?) of Ancestral Steppe from MH4 with more subdued colors. The red rocks and yellow grass are dead giveaways. I wonder if since Rathalos is a boss and an assist trophy if the reverse might be true for, say, Mother Brain.

I'm basically ready to call SSE2. Look at all those cutscenes:

Not only are they matching styles between reveals;

Not only are they killing off characters which hints at synergy with the name "spirits";

Not only are they adding more villains, a common complaint of SSE;

All three reveals so far have been split up in before and after segments! This isn't unprecedented (it happened with Mega Man's reveal), but they ALL would fit as before and after boss fight cutscenes!

"You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them," - Sakurai, emphasis mine. Consider the new approach! They show the cutscenes first as marketing, disguised as reveal trailers. Second, they reveal the story mode, causing everyone to realize something huge was hidden right under their nose. (HUGE for getting people talking.) Sakurai doesn't have to worry about wasting cutscene money if its doubling as marketing!

Additionally, gone is the copyright-friendly genericism of subspace emissary. Instead, Subspace marries Melee Adventure mode! After all, we have a dedicated Monster Hunter boss stage, and apparently a dedicated Castlevania boss stage! I can't imagine every series getting its own level (if FF: 2 is any indication Cloud will just sort of "be there", along with Animal Crossing, F-Zero, and pikmin being pretty low on the totem pole), but seeing how much Capcom and Konami have let smash use, Megaman Street Fighter and Metal Gear levels don't seem far-fetched from a copyright perspective at least.

As for people speculating on a darker tone... I don't think they're completely right. After all, if I'm right, then not only are Ridley's and Simon's reveals ingame cutscenes, then so is K. Rool's. What we could indeed see, however, is each villain being depicted as darkly as they would in their own universe. I imagine bowser would still be kinda goofy, for example.

Starting with just the original cast makes sense as well if Spirits will be the "right" way to unlock all the characters. That's very much like Brawl which used SSE to unlock many characters.

I'm starting to think the subtitle "Ultimate" is indeed very well-earned!

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
The boss area greatly resembles area 2(?) of Ancestral Steppe from MH4 with more subdued colors. The red rocks and yellow grass are dead giveaways. I wonder if since Rathalos is a boss and an assist trophy if the reverse might be true for, say, Mother Brain.

I'm basically ready to call SSE2. Look at all those cutscenes:

Not only are they matching styles between reveals;

Not only are they killing off characters which hints at synergy with the name "spirits";

Not only are they adding more villains, a common complaint of SSE;

All three reveals so far have been split up in before and after segments! This isn't unprecedented (it happened with Mega Man's reveal), but they ALL would fit as before and after boss fight cutscenes!

Additionally, gone is the copyright-friendly genericism of subspace emissary. Instead, Subspace marries Melee Adventure mode! After all, we have a dedicated Monster Hunter boss stage, and apparently a dedicated Castlevania boss stage! I can't imagine every series getting its own level (if FF: 2 is any indication Cloud will just sort of "be there", along with Animal Crossing, F-Zero, and pikmin being pretty low on the totem pole), but seeing how much Capcom and Konami have let smash use, Megaman Street Fighter and Metal Gear levels don't seem far-fetched from a copyright perspective at least.

As for people speculating on a darker tone... I don't think they're completely right. After all, if I'm right, then not only are Ridley's and Simon's reveals ingame cutscenes, then so is K. Rool's. What we could indeed see, however, is each villain being depicted as darkly as they would in their own universe. I imagine bowser would still be kinda goofy, for example.

Starting with just the original cast makes sense as well if Spirits will be the "right" way to unlock all the characters. That's very much like Brawl which used SSE to unlock many characters.

I'm starting to think the subtitle "Ultimate" is indeed very well-earned!
it already earned it now it's going beyond that

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the name "Spirits" is also a metaphor that this mode will be a tribute to all other game, trying to mix the "spirits" of all of them.

Arthur97

Smash Master
But, do people actually think they're going to make a story mode based on death? That's just not Nintendo's MO.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
But, do people actually think they're going to make a story mode based on death? That's just not Nintendo's MO.
Isn't Nintendo's Luigi Mansion about death all the time? This isn't death like you see in dark games, but more friendly-looking ghost stuffs as seen in the cutscenes. So yes, there's no reason to exclude this possibility.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Isn't Nintendo's Luigi Mansion about death all the time? This isn't death like you see in dark games, but more friendly-looking ghost stuffs as seen in the cutscenes. So yes, there's no reason to exclude this possibility.
Ridley's trailer was not exactly friendly.

Last edited:

Dario64

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7458-8194-6305
I hope it's still some kind of Adventure Mode. I don't it will be as massive as Subspace Emissary though.

Last edited:

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Ridley's personality is sadistic. He's the most extreme. Who else would be as graphic? Ganondorf? He's more dignified. Mewtwo? He'd throw someone off a cliff or shadow ball them. Even Death ripping Luigi's soul out was funny. Ridley's kills we're still PG-13.

Most deaths will be like Dedede, shown as dead after the Kongs finish fighting K.Rool. Imagine: Defeated, the lizard flees. Diddy Kong walks up to dedede,face down. The back of his head has a giant lump. Diddy flips him over, but oh no! Dededes eyes are X.X ... Diddy shakes his head and takes his hat off in memorium. DK scratches his butt. Above them, unseen, Dedede's ghost flails about complaining and trying to get their intention.

I wonder if all character's spirits will resemble Luigi's. I'm 50/50 on that as it's the kind of visualization that makes sense for Death.

As a side note, I wonder if rumored Minecraft representation means a Minecraft stage in sprits without a playable character, like with Monster Hunter.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm going to say probably a melee esc adventure mode that's slightly longer but not as long as subspace emissary

But yes where you fight Dracula and rathlos seems no hazards at all compared to other stages and the castle changed when you fight dracula

So also a boss battle from brawl might be a speculation

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ridley's personality is sadistic. He's the most extreme. Who else would be as graphic? Ganondorf? He's more dignified. Mewtwo? He'd throw someone off a cliff or shadow ball them. Even Death ripping Luigi's soul out was funny. Ridley's kills we're still PG-13.

Most deaths will be like Dedede, shown as dead after the Kongs finish fighting K.Rool. Imagine: Defeated, the lizard flees. Diddy Kong walks up to dedede,face down. The back of his head has a giant lump. Diddy flips him over, but oh no! Dededes eyes are X.X ... Diddy shakes his head and takes his hat off in memorium. DK scratches his butt. Above them, unseen, Dedede's ghost flails about complaining and trying to get their intention.

I wonder if all character's spirits will resemble Luigi's. I'm 50/50 on that as it's the kind of visualization that makes sense for Death.

As a side note, I wonder if rumored Minecraft representation means a Minecraft stage in sprits without a playable character, like with Monster Hunter.
One, Dedede isn't dead. He got hit in the head.

Two, why would they make a story mode about death?

Top Bottom